Freelance Hell or I need a HUG

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have an editor that really trusts me to do good work and do it fast. I am her go-to girl for ideas and if my assignments die prematurely, I always call or email her right away WITH A PLAN OF ACTION (vs. her other writers, who just call to let her know that the article died. Sorry.)

So when she assigned me an article with a 10 day deadline, I didn't panic, I just went to work. I emailed the guy, then called him two days later, both stating it was urgent. He promised me a call back, and finally did so two days later. Fine. THEN he told me that he wasn't comfortable speaking to the subject. No interview. This is doubly annoying because the entire assignment was based on HIM actually calling the magazine to propose the article. I call my editor, tell her the problem, give her an alternative, and get the go ahead (and many thanks from her).

So far so good. I know she's good for an extension, but I AM down to the wire because the assignment came so short term anyway. I get two new sources approved, and send out emails, then I email her and propose a second article since two of her other writers dropped assignments.

Long story short(er), here I am three days after the original deadline. The second article that I proposed was in lickety split, but this original one... I have had contacts lie to me, dodge me, promise to call and forget about me... I finally called one place every hour until the owner himself picked up and finally, FINALLY got him to sit down for five minutes and give me the three snippets that I needed from him. How hard is it to just do what you say you're going to do?!?!

I have been a total stress case because I want to get this article in by tomorrow and I was still missing an interview that should have been easy. It's not like it's a scary topic! At least now I can finally, finally, finally just get to the part of this job that I LIKE. Still.... I feel like I need a hug.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
AND a big congrats to you for getting the job done in spite of all that! That is WHY you're this editor's go-to girl and...

YOU ROCK!!

Thank you. I think I needed someone to remind me of that. I feel better. :)

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
Well to this newbie - that's a pretty inspirational story! You did great!

I have been AMAZED at how uncomfortable some people get when you say you're writing an article - that they clam up with very basic questions - it's like they think you're going to trick them into saying something controversial and make them look bad lol!

Go do something nice for yourself to shake off all the stressful feelings :)

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing an amazing job of rising to the occasion, leaping tall buildings etc. Good work.