mystery/suspense with literary edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Help! I am counting on you late-night types for a little assistance. I desperately need a couple of titles of commercial mystery/suspense novels (old or new/in print or out of print) with a literary edge. Though I've read plenty of mystery/suspense, the stuff I've read is pretty much straight commercial--fast-paced action without a lot of emotion or social plot going on.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Check out Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey books.

Her level of education boggles my public school drone mind, and it shines in her writings.

A quote from Gaudy Night that covers her experience as a highly literate, classically educated mystery writer:

Miss Burrows: Excuse my saying so, Miss Vane, but given your own terrible experience, I wonder that you should still decide to write the sort of books you do.

Harriet Vane: You're saying that anyone with proper feelings would rather scrub floors for a living? Well, I should scrub floors very badly, and I write mysteries rather well.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Gaudy Night. Loved all the Wimsey novels, but especially that one. So many vivid images. And such an interesting, sophisticated struggle between those two people before both gave in to their feelings and committed to the relationship.

I never read her for the mystery, but for the characters and language.

And it pissed me off no end that she spent the last ten years of her life and career writing "serious" books rather than more Lord Peter novels.

Dammit.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The Athenian Mysteries by Jose Carlos Somoza is a great example. Also Luther Blissett's Q.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by P D James--her later ones are more literary than her earlier books. Wonderful stuff.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
You people are awesome! Thanks.
Now if only my kids would let me get some sleep. I didn't intend to be checking this thread at 12:30, 4:30 amd 6:20.

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the highly literary M/T/S fly in from the UK: I concur with Dorothy L. Sayers and P.D. James as being a cut above but would add the brilliant Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse) and Reginald Hill (Pascoe and Dalziel) to the list.

Nicholas Freeling's books featuring Inspector van der Valk, but especially those featuring Henri Castang are as literary as genre can get.

From the USA, I doubt there's anyone that can tackle Laurie R. King for her scholarship in both her series, one featuring Mary Russell and especially her Kate Martinelli books.

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
Duh! I swear I've read all four (and not just the tv :scared:drama!)

You may well have!... I'm waiting for my copy of the latest, due in Feb. 2010. As I live in the US, we get the UK novels a bit later than you lucky folks.

The entire series spans a full decade:
And I, too, would heartedly recommend these books.

And, IT'S BEEN DRAMATIZED! Hooray! Maybe we'll get to see that, too:hooray:

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
Try Laura Lippman's stand-alones (Every Secret Thing, What The Dead Know). Definitely more on the literary side. I think both of Gillian Flynn's novels are considered literary suspense. I just finished Dark Places and was blown away. It's gritty and a bit gruesome, so not recommended if you prefer lighter fare. I also think Nancy Pickard's Virgin Of The Small Plains probably qualifies as literary mystery/suspense.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also recommend Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine from the UK. Ruth Rendell is crime drama, but always very understated and subtle, and when she writes as Barbara Vine it's darker and more psychological. My favourite Ruth Rendell is Adam and Eve and Pinch Me and Barbara Vine is The Blood Doctor. :)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much again! I'm going to head to the bookstore and the library later this week and check some of these authors out.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series has a literate and philosophical edge (the main character is an academic philisopher)
They are not fast paced, but are interesting and complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.