PDA

View Full Version : How would your MC be described.... in The Sun?

Maxinquaye
11-13-2009, 05:59 AM
I was out with a few journalist friends earlier. We got talking about fiction writing. Behind every second journalist, there's a fiction writer that got into journalism just to be able to live off writing.

One of them suddenly asked, after seeing some headline in the Sun (the british tabloid found here: http://thesun.co.uk ), how our novel's MC would described by The Sun.

Mine was:

Youth thug run rampage in City, Brown ignores issue

It was a bit too long, but it was kind of fun.

So, how would your MC be described in The Sun?

Caitlin Black
11-13-2009, 06:03 AM
"Chaos threatens City. Goddess juggles."

Mr Flibble
11-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Blair outsmarmed by X :D

Secret perv saves teens

War drives soldier mad

Jordan..does....something..with..boobies?

Kaiser-Kun
11-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Dumbass is Saved
Thousands Injured in the Process

kaitie
11-13-2009, 06:19 AM
"From twisted to terrorist: America's newest threat?"

Though, a blogger has a great headline about my MC. "There Is No Arthur Scott Edison." Sums him up quite well, I think. :tongue

Linda Adams
11-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Oh, dear. My main character is a constant victim of the tabloids. I actually have a number of headlines about him in the story, including:

Keymas' Five Best Body Parts
Magic Stud's Secret Love Nest

The derogatory nickname was coined by a tabloid, a reference to the supposed affair he's having with the Empress.

Sage
11-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Preacher's Daughter Hostage to Troublemaking Spirit!

dolores haze
11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Dangerous Slut Causes Inter-Galactic Havoc.

Oops, nope. Too many long words for The Sun.

How about this:

Tits In Space!

Matera the Mad
11-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Teenage Shaman Slams Evil Spirit in Secret Showdown

That's just the grand finale, of course. And he's turning red over this. :o

Maxinquaye
11-13-2009, 06:56 AM
I think The Sun is Fun.

It's a pulse on a particular demographic, the same demographic that will defend to the death your right to make racist slurs, blonde jokes, and who will think nothing of demanding death penalty for kids, but will howl to hell and back if some of their perceived priveleges are threatened.

It's a great source for motivation of a particular type of stereotypical character that's quite frequent in my stories for some reason, the reasoned bigot. You americans can think Rush Limbaugh, or someone on the left political field. It's not limited to any sides.

So, the Sun's Fun!

jodiodi
11-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Damaged Dame Seduces Dangerous Duke

Surviving Death with a Demon

kaitie
11-13-2009, 08:17 AM

How about this:

Tits In Space!

LOL!

eyeblink
11-13-2009, 01:20 PM
STORM OVER AC/DC SCHOOLGIRL
Lesbo sex on College time

Tall, redheaded Natalie Muir, 17, is still in sixth form and is hoping to go to University next year. She has TWO lovers and one of them is another SCHOOLGIRL.

She plays in an amateur rock band with boyfriend Conor Howard, 18. And she shares her love life with Agnieszka Wojtulewicz, also 17. Tall, busty Agnieszka is the daughter of Polish immigrants and is openly GAY.

They have STEAMY SEX ROMPS during College lunchbreaks.

"I'm bisexual," says Natalie. "I think I've always been. It just took me a long time to work this out."

People at the sixth-form College where both Natalie and Agnieszka are studying say they are OUTRAGED. "I just think Natalie's doing this for attention," someone close to Natalie said exclusively to The Sun.

Neither Conor or Agnieszka, or their parents were available for comment.

Sophia
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Tall, redheaded Natalie Muir, 17, is still in sixth form and is hoping to go to University next year. She has TWO lovers and one of them is another SCHOOLGIRL.

She plays in an amateur rock band with boyfriend Conor Howard, 18. And she shares her love life with Agnieszka Wojtulewicz, also 17. Tall, busty Agnieszka is the daughter of Polish immigrants and is openly GAY.

"I'm bisexual," says Natalie. "I think I've always been. It just took me a long time to work this out."

People at the sixth-form College where both Natalie and Agnieszka are studying say they are OUTRAGED. "This is hardly a good example for teenagers today," someone close to Natalie said exclusively to The Sun. "I just think Natalie's doing this for attention."

That's brilliant. :Clap: :D

Stijn Hommes
11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Hmmm, the MC of my screenplay is undoubtedly a subject in the tabloid press, but I never thought about how he'd be described. Food for though, I guess....

sheadakota
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
110 year old virgin makes it with hot scientist.

MrWrite
11-13-2009, 04:18 PM

How about this:

Tits In Space!

:ROFL: Brilliant! I can see The Sun running with a headline like that too! I miss that paper. It always had a couple of interesting points in it every day... :D

Priene
11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Arty-Farty Nazi

Gemnyc
11-13-2009, 05:31 PM
:ROFL: Brilliant! I can see The Sun running with a headline like that too! I miss that paper. It always had a couple of interesting points in it every day... :D
I’m a Brit abroad and read The Sun online for the news *cough* (trashy uk celeb tabloid rumours). They actually had a lot of articles on teen drinking recently so this one for my WIP is actually ripped straight from The Sun

“Boozy girls out of their tiny minds”

My MC is a rebellious teen with superhuman abilities.....and a fondness for tequila. So fits well!

Wayne K
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Cops 'seize author.'

seun
11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
PHWOARR! JORDAN'S TITS!

Nothing to do with my book. It's just what I expect to see in The Sun any day of the week.

waylander
11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Student Charlie battles scary hairy fairy

Red-Green
11-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Killer Dope-Dealing Cowboy Cheats Hangman

Tanydwr
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
WOLF WITCH KIDNAPS KING!

Well, admittedly when she 'kidnaps' the king and prince, she's just known as a witch... But the Council - which has been keeping king and prince locked away in a fortress for their 'safety' - paints her as a witch. Probably on discovering her marriage to the prince...

PRINCE FALLS FOR KIDNAPPER'S WITCHLY WILES!

Or...

SEXY SIREN SEDUCES SOVEREIGN!

Despite the fact that Connor's not actually king when they marry... Twenty-four hours later, however... (To clarify, the king orders them to get married while on his deathbed, because it will ensure Crisiant's protection. Fun, huh?)

Oh, and at the end it would, of course, be:

CORRUPT COUNCIL CRASHES!
In a shocking battle at the royal seat of power, Morien Castle, our new king, Connor (25), fought his way through corrupt Council lackeys to establish his connection with the land. Fighting by his side was our lovely new queen, the late King Harailt and King Connor's rescuer from the Council's blinkers...

Stew21
11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Bastien claims "Hemingway made me do it!"

Libbie
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Queen steals granny's ceremonial title, has affair with steward.

Subtitle:

Is this the reason why the Nile has failed to flood...again?

Actually, the ending of my book could have its own title. It deserves one.

Emotionally distraught Pharaoh claims daughter is prince.

Subtitle:

Totally expects the rest of us to believe it.

I'd change the name of the paper to The Ra.

Libbie
11-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh, I just thought of one for my next novel, too.

Arthur Conan Doyle calls Handcuff King "total wiener."

Subtitle:

Houdini responds: "Yeah, well spiritualism is dumb, so there."

Lady Ice
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM

People at the sixth-form College where both Natalie and Agnieszka are studying say they are OUTRAGED. "I just think Natalie's doing this for attention," someone close to Natalie said exclusively to The Sun.

The Sun would love it.

Jennasis
11-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Girl Killed Several Times, Says Dying Not So Bad

Gedaechtnis
11-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Amnesiac Joins Pro-Death Group

eyeblink
11-14-2009, 09:37 PM
That's brilliant. :Clap: :D

Thank you. I've been a Guardian reader for over thirty years, myself. Some would say it shows. :)

Here's the follow-up article. (For the benefit of non-Brits, a regular feature in The Sun is a photo of a topless or sometimes nude model on Page 3. Some "Page Three Girls" have gone on to become celebrities, for example Samantha Fox and Linda Lusardi. In a spirit of gender equality, The Sun has also had Page Seven Fellas, but that hasn't had anywhere near the same cultural impact.)

WHAT A WASTE!
Gay Aggie won't be getting 'em out for the lads

Busty Agnieszka Wojtulewicz, 17, the girlfriend of bisexual schoolgirl Natalie Muir, has something to get off her chest.

Agnieszka, known as "Aggie" to her friends, was born in England shortly after her parents moved here from Poland after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

She says she's HAPPY TO BE GAY. "I'd like to have children one day," she says. "When I find the right woman for me."

She certainly has the equipment!

Aggie works in weekends and school holidays at the Polish shop where her mother Krystyna works. "The Polish men like having a pretty girl to talk to who can speak their language," Krystyna told The Sun.

But the lads are much more interested in her curvy 38DD figure than her skills as a linguist.

"I'm proud of my body," Aggie says.

Since The Sun broke the story last week, Aggie has been DELUGED with offers to pose topless or NUDE.

But she has TURNED THEM ALL DOWN.

The Sun offered Aggie the chance to be a Page Three girl but she told us to F*** OFF.

Freelancer
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Hmmm. If my MC would appear in this world, the following issues would be published. :) But only her progress would be the headlines.

Issue #1
"Mysterious disappearances on the rise."
Issue #2
"The Government explains mysterious disappearances."
Issue #3
"The Government disappeared, no trace found."

Or if she would appear in the headlines...
"Never born, never existed, yet alive. Mystery shrouds woman."

Kaiser-Kun
11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
GOTCHA

http://www.av8.com.sg/uploads/images/479/ff-space-explosion-214.jpg

OUR LADS DESTROY
SENTIENT METEOR

"I actually died!" ~ Vynen de Marle, survivor

"Get away from me, vultures" ~ Mean woman in blue clothes

"No comprendo idioma" ~ Other guy

JoeEkaitis
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Giant Eagle/Lion Beast And SUV-Driving Grizzly Are Nothing To Fear, Claim CO (USA) Town Citizens

Button
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Teenaged Traitor escapes

Capricorn
11-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Jerk goes to Hogwarts the Academy, causes trouble

entropic island
11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Dreaming idiot chases nonexistent treasure, obese slut lures him, shrinks. Homosexual blue talking egg joins journey, attacked by lawyers. Wise man is snow bunny, microsoft screws up again!

Now. Who can tell me what my NaNo novel is about?