Seriously?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
My 10 yr old son came home with a black eye today because some kid punched him.

My 12 yr old daughter came home and told me her male gym teacher (who has been reprimanded in the past) said that boys were built for strength and sports and girls were made to cook, clean, and carry babies.

Seriously?

Here's the long of it:

My son told some annoying girl to stop raking her finger nails down the bus seat. She didn't so he pushed her hand off the seat. Then a boy, apparently her boyfriend, punched my son in the face. My son didn't tell the bus driver. He said it didn't hurt much, mainly, it just made him mad and it took everything he had not to hit the kid back. So now I don't know what to do about that. Since he didn't tell, I'm not sure there is much we can do unless it happens again, and if it does, I told my son he has every right to defend himself but he'd better not start it.

My daughter said this teacher is always saying stupid things. There were two other PE teachers in the room when he said it, and the other male teacher laughed (I guess he is usually pretty cool though) and the female teacher glared at them both. My daughter said all the students gasped when he said it, even the boys. I tried emailing the principal, but their link on the site isn't working, so I guess I'll be calling or emailing tomorrow.

What a day for education. I'm gonna go grab a bag of frozen peas for my son's face and take my athlete of a daughter to soccer practice.

I need a pina colada.

Seriously.

Reaction score
I'd soon teach that ignorant git girls aren't made for strength with a kick in the nuts.

(The teacher, not your son).

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The son...don't know what to say. It sucks...but the issue you have with your daughter's teacher is making me so mad that it lessens the issue with your son. That teacher has to shut his fracking face...and now. What the hell is that about?! I'd be going to the office tomorrow morning and DEMANDING something be done about it. What a toolbox. And the male teacher who laughed? Just as bad. He could have corrected the other asshat.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I'd soon teach that ignorant git girls aren't made for strength with a kick in the nuts.

(The teacher, not your son).
Oh trust me, I am tempted. I wish I could let my daughter do it, she is being considered for the olympic development team in soccer, so she's got a helluva kick. Better than mine.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I told my 12 year old nephew very bluntly yesterday that people can be assholes, and to think for himself.

Get this, he's ridiculed by fat kids openly for being skinny.

Me: Explain to them that they are fat.
My sister: Then he will be suspended.
Me; WTF?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
The son...don't know what to say. It sucks...but the issue you have with your daughter's teacher is making me so mad that it lessens the issue with your son. That teacher has to shut his fracking face...and now. What the hell is that about?! I'd be going to the office tomorrow morning and DEMANDING something be done about it. What a toolbox. And the male teacher who laughed? Just as bad. He could have corrected the other asshat.
I can't believe TWO other teachers were in there and did nothing. It seems the children, male and female alike, were the only ones who really knew what an arse the teacher had just made of himself. How is this tolerated in school? Yeah, I'm definitely more peeved about what happened with my daughter than my son. At least with my son, it was a kid acting like a kid, not a teacher who I turn my child over to every day.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I told my 12 year old nephew very bluntly yesterday that people can be assholes, and to think for himself.

Get this, he's ridiculed by fat kids openly for being skinny.

Me: Explain to them that they are fat.
My sister: Then he will be suspended.
Me; WTF?
You sister is right. The one who retaliates is always caught and punished. It seems defending oneself is equally as reprehensible as attacking another. This I learned last year. I told my son if the kid lays a hand on him again, to go ahead and defend himself and accept the consequences. With my daughter, she knows the teacher is an idiot, but still, no loser should get paid to spew that kind of stupidity and sexism to young kids.

Reaction score
I am available for hire, barehanded.

Just point me in the right direction and tell me which of the bastids said Colin Farrell was a jessie.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
In the case of your son, he did the right thing. I think he handled it appropriately, and that's quite a bit of maturity for a 10 year old. Seriously. I wouldn't do anything about this, just advise him to stay away from that girl and her boyfriend (when did 10 year olds start having boyfriends? sigh). Hopefully it won't happen again.

In the case of your daughter, I think it won't take a considerable effort on your part to get that @#$%^& fired, and the sooner the better. Make a record of each incident, document it well, file a complaint immediately, get together with other parents... lawsuit!

P.S. Where do you live?

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I had my first "girlfriend" at 10, but I didn't punch anyone over her.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My daughter said this teacher is always saying stupid things. There were two other PE teachers in the room when he said it, and the other male teacher laughed (I guess he is usually pretty cool though) and the female teacher glared at them both. My daughter said all the students gasped when he said it, even the boys. I tried emailing the principal, but their link on the site isn't working, so I guess I'll be calling or emailing tomorrow.

So, obviously I'm just reading this on the internet and there's no way I can know the entire situation - and if the teacher really meant it, he's an ass. Even if he didn't mean it, he's still stupid for saying it. And the fact that he's been reprimanded before probably means he's an ass. ;)

HOWEVER I am just wondering if there's any chance he was just being sarcastic? 12 year olds aren't really known for their subtlety, and often they take things literally when adults are just fooling around. I say this because this sounds exactly like something my husband would say tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes people don't realize he's kidding. But the truth is he just has a very wry sense of humor.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about the gym teacher. The guy sounds like a fire breathing stereotype and there's a reason gym teachers are universally reviled and ridiculed.

This will build character for both your kids :)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
As for your son, gotta be honest, it kinda sounds like he started it. Not that he deserved to get punched in the face (he absolutely did not), but he's the one who made first "contact" by pushing her hand off the seat.

As for the gym teacher....:rofl: what an idiot.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
IMO

He pushed the girl's hand away because she was being annoying. Not a very good reason to put his hands on someone else. Then he doesn't raise his hands when punched in the face by her boyfriend. A time when there is definitely justification for him to get physical. That's the discussion worth having with your son.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hey SG--which school is it? (PM me or rep point me) I know pretty much the entire Montgomery County school board and a lot of the principals, vice-principals etc. (A lot of teachers too)

I would take my daughter to school tomorrow morning and demand the gym teachers (all three) be called to account for their actions. Why call the other two you may ask? Corroboration, especially the female teacher. Demand that the male pig teacher be reprimanded for his comments and behavior or you will take it to the school board.

It is not the place of a teacher--any teacher--to be 'teaching' gender roles. I'm not surprised, mind you; I did grow up there. But ideologies like that were supposed to be gone by now and making that kind of comment about what girls are 'supposed' to do? No fucking way. Considering the escapades of some other Clarksville-Montgomery Country teachers in recent years you'd thing the last thing they'd want is another misogynistic hillrat with outdated priorities getting the schools in trouble with the parents. I would take this one all the way.

As for what happened to your son, where in the heck was the bus driver in all this? Another cause for concern IMO--and a legitimate question to ask of the driver in person and/or his supervisor. (My aunt has driven a school bus there for thirty years)

:) Heh. We're definitely going drinking when I come down for Christmas.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I would take my daughter to school tomorrow morning and demand the gym teachers (all three) be called to account for their actions. Why call the other two you may ask? Corroboration, especially the female teacher. Demand that the male pig teacher be reprimanded for his comments and behavior or you will take it to the school board.

I think it's more important that she explain to her daughter that the gym teacher's comments were offbase, out of line, and outright goofy.

You can't shield your children from the ignorance that exists in our world (hell, I saw and heard a LOT of stuff from teachers in my school that would cause people to go into conniptions (sp?), but I came to realize that they were just ignorant and bigoted). But you can teach your children the folly in such comments. And possibly bring it up at the next PTA meeting.

Essentially, going down to the school with both guns loaded probably isn't going to get you the results you desire.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I remember a quote about If you want to see man's true inhumanity to man, go to your local school yard.

It's brutal.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
He pushed the girl's hand away because she was being annoying. Not a very good reason to put his hands on someone else. Then he doesn't raise his hands when punched in the face by her boyfriend. A time when there is definitely justification for him to get physical. That's the discussion worth having with your son.
This is a good point worth repeating. I thought the same thing, nearly word for word, after reading the original post.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
In the case of your son, he did the right thing. I think he handled it appropriately, and that's quite a bit of maturity for a 10 year old. Seriously. I wouldn't do anything about this, just advise him to stay away from that girl and her boyfriend (when did 10 year olds start having boyfriends? sigh). Hopefully it won't happen again.

In the case of your daughter, I think it won't take a considerable effort on your part to get that @#$%^& fired, and the sooner the better. Make a record of each incident, document it well, file a complaint immediately, get together with other parents... lawsuit!

P.S. Where do you live?
We live in TN, near the KY border. I'm not doing anything about my son, I've talked to him and that's about it. I did tell him I was proud he didn't hit the boy back, but I also told him he can't let it go again. Hopefully, he and this kid can just ignore each other the rest of the time.

As for my daughter, I will be at the very least, sending an email to the principal. Normally, her teachers are excellent and I love them, and I've spoke with the principal before and she seems really nice, so I can't imagine she'll approve of this behavior from her teachers.

So, obviously I'm just reading this on the internet and there's no way I can know the entire situation - and if the teacher really meant it, he's an ass. Even if he didn't mean it, he's still stupid for saying it. And the fact that he's been reprimanded before probably means he's an ass. ;)

HOWEVER I am just wondering if there's any chance he was just being sarcastic? 12 year olds aren't really known for their subtlety, and often they take things literally when adults are just fooling around. I say this because this sounds exactly like something my husband would say tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes people don't realize he's kidding. But the truth is he just has a very wry sense of humor.
My daughter was raised on sarcasm and can spot it and give it. I trust her judgment in the matter.
As for your son, gotta be honest, it kinda sounds like he started it. Not that he deserved to get punched in the face (he absolutely did not), but he's the one who made first "contact" by pushing her hand off the seat.

As for the gym teacher....:rofl: what an idiot.
I actually told my son he should have never pushed her hand away in the first place. But he in no way started it. That's just ridiculous.
It was HIS seat she was scratching her nails down, so yes, he did shove her hand away, which I still don't agree with and we've spoken about it. I guess I didn't say it was his seat in the OP, but still, I don't think he should have pushed her hand away. His only retaliation for the boy would have been to punch him back, and I am very glad he didn't. They both would have been suspended.

Hey SG--which school is it? (PM me or rep point me) I know pretty much the entire Montgomery County school board and a lot of the principals, vice-principals etc. (A lot of teachers too)

It is not the place of a teacher--any teacher--to be 'teaching' gender roles. I'm not surprised, mind you; I did grow up there. But ideologies like that were supposed to be gone by now and making that kind of comment about what girls are 'supposed' to do? No fucking way. Considering the escapades of some other Clarksville-Montgomery Country teachers in recent years you'd thing the last thing they'd want is another misogynistic hillrat with outdated priorities getting the schools in trouble with the parents. I would take this one all the way.

As for what happened to your son, where in the heck was the bus driver in all this? Another cause for concern IMO--and a legitimate question to ask of the driver in person and/or his supervisor. (My aunt has driven a school bus there for thirty years)

:) Heh. We're definitely going drinking when I come down for Christmas.
I will PM you. Like I said, most of her teachers are awesome and I love 'em, this is the first real problem I've had with them, and I don't foresee having problems with the principal over this. I really do trust once I bring it to her attention, she'll take the proper action. I want him to apologize to the class and say he was wrong, even if he doesn't believe it.

The bus drivers don't know what's going on on their buses. My daughter has been threatened, was punched once, has been cussed out, and as my son is getting higher in the grades, the same seems to be true for him. I told him he should have told the bus driver, but he just didn't want to be labeled a "snitch" as he said it. He said then he'd make every one out to get him. I didn't even know what to say to that, except to say snitch or not, the adults can't help you if you don't tell them what is happening.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it's more important that she explain to her daughter that the gym teacher's comments were offbase, out of line, and outright goofy.

You can't shield your children from the ignorance that exists in our world (hell, I saw and heard a LOT of stuff from teachers in my school that would cause people to go into conniptions (sp?), but I came to realize that they were just ignorant and bigoted). But you can teach your children the folly in such comments. And possibly bring it up at the next PTA meeting.

Essentially, going down to the school with both guns loaded probably isn't going to get you the results you desire.

You can teach your children AND demand retribution. You must always stand up to shitbags. They cannot get away with their shitbagginess. NEVER. Silence is a crime, in my humble opinion. I would teach my child right...AND storm the school.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...His only retaliation for the boy would have been to punch him back, and I am very glad he didn't. They both would have been suspended...
I understand the zero tolerance policy against fighting that some school districts employ. However, had your boy retaliated, two important lessons would have been learned:

1) The aggressor would have been taught that his actions warranted an immediate reaction from your boy.

2) Your son would have learned that he should defend himself, at all costs, regardless of the repercussions the school has in store for him.

As a parent, I would never condone my children being smacked around by anybody, for any reason, least of all because I feared they might be suspended from school if they stood up for themselves.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to piggyback on Sk's comments. Since your boy has a black eye, his peers will ask questions. Once they learn that he didn't fight back, he could be a target for bullying. In my mind, there's suspension and then there's SUSPENSION. suspension is worth the cost sometimes.

On a different subject, his teacher will most likely ask what happened. It's a question most would ask to ensure the child wasn't given a black eye by a parent. So whether you bring it up or his teacher does, your son will end up in the principal's office explaining what happened. Suspension isn't in the cards for him, but he may get in trouble for pushing the girl's hand away. This is just food for thought as you make the decision whether or not to bring the situation up to the principal.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Somebody female needs to punch that prick teacher in the balls.

Just out of scientific curiosity (and writing research, I really need it lol) how long did it take for the son's eye to darken up?