Resolution in short stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipushusteer.blogharbor.com
I have often heard that a short story should come to some resolution at the end. I've read some short stories that tie up all the ends. Yet just as often, I've read stories that come to some resolution but still leave me with as many questions as they answer.

What's your opinion?

Warmly,
Ronda

sprorion

Registered
Reaction score
Like everything else. I think it all depends on the story and what your penchant is. If you like a story that ties up everything then write so. Other people like to form their own conclusions, so those stories are left open-ended.

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
I think every story needs some sort of resoultion, but I don't think it necessarily has to be the ending. You can't leave your reader feeling unsatisfied. Resolution doesn't mean tying up all the loose ends, just getting your reader out of the world you've put them in, in a way that makes sense and doesn't cheat anybody.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Resolution

Pretty much any story needs a resolution. This doesn't necessarily means all the loose threads are tied up, or that you aren't left with questions. But all stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end. All short stories should have both conflict and resolution. These can be presented in a million ways, but is these aren't in the story, you have no story.

Status
Not open for further replies.