What do you guys make of this?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I had an article acceptance and noticed that there was no mention of payment, only 3 copies of the mag. Normally, she did give a small payment. I asked in a very polite way, if I would be getting any payment and she wrote back yes. Then 5 mts. or less later she wrote, "I'm sorry, but I've reconsidered and can't use your article." Obviously, because I asked her about money. I never had a prob. with other mags when it came to that. What do you guys make of it? I really feel badly since now I'm sure she won't accept anything from me anymore... I apologized to her but haven't heard back.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Susie, I know who you are talking about and do not worry yourself over her. You did nothing wrong. She probably was going to pay you, but she gets bent out of shape over the littlest things. She's taking things personally rather than acting professionally.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thx so much, April That really helps me feel better about what happened. Most appreciated!

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Indeed, that's the nature of writing. She didn't reject you, she rejected paying you for your talents and abilities.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thx much, guys. I sure appreciate it. I felt awful yesterday about it, but now am ok. As writers, we have a right to ask about payment, rights, etc. and if we can't, then we shouldn't send to that publication. I'm glad I found out sooner than later.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... good evaluations by other members up above. The fault doesn't lie with you, so don't give it another thought and get the piece out elsewhere. Will say though that when it comes to money matters writers have to tread very cautiously. Not sure how you phrased the issue yourself when addressing this particular editor, and probably wouldn't have made much difference. But the way I would've done it would have been to say something like:

I'm pleased to hear my piece was accepted. Thank you for the good news. I was just wondering about whether I'd be receiving any payment. I did last time, so I was a bit unsure. Free copies are fine as compensation and I'm happy to be getting them but I just wanted to be sure about the matter. Thanks, Susie.

Or something like that. Very lightfooted approach and rather pathetic, perhaps. I've found phrasing letters like this effective though. After losing two monetary gigs myself because of a 'demand' for more money I play it very safe, nowadays.

Again, not saying you did anything wrong in this instance. And am not saying for sure either whether this lightfooted approach of mine is the best. Has worked for me, and that's all I can say in way of vouching for it.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I agree that of course, you should be paid and no, you did nothing wrong by asking.
However, how do you know that she cancelled your piece due to your payment inquiry? Magazines are cutting their page count all the time, and perhaps your piece just didn't fit in after all. I wouldn't worry that your question that killed the whole deal.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Knowing this editor as Susie does now, chances are since she decided not to use it 5 minutes after saying she would get paid, it was because of the question. Susie didn't mention this important piece of info, but the editor mentioned she's had her character questioned by other people and that Susie should have had trust in her about the situation.

Susie, you did nothing wrong. I keep telling you that, you're such a sweetheart. I hate that for a split second she made you feel like you did something wrong.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Arisa's right.

And on that topic, when I first started out submitting my work, the editor called me and said he loved the piece. I asked if there was monetary payment. He said he was sorry, but no. He published the piece. When I submitted something to him a few months later, I received an acceptance letter and a check in the mail from him.

So it's okay to ask nicely. We're writers. It's a business.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much guys for your super input. Really appreciate it. Yep, she so much as told me it was because of my question.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Any editor who decides to dump a piece they already accepted because an author inquires about payments is an editor who clearly doesn't have the best interests of her publication in mind.

A simple, "I'm so sorry, but we can't pay right now," or "of course, our standard pay rates are..." takes no more time than saying "I've changed my mind, how dare you question me" or similar.

Take your sweet and lovely self elsewhere, Susie. You're the best and deserve great treatment from one and all, touchy editors included!

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thx so much, Jeanne. Right back atcha. I'll never send any articles to her again. Most appreciated. :Hug2:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Just wanted to echo the sentiments here, Susie - and anyone running a magazine so capriciously does not deserve success. You, on the other hand, deserve loads of it.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Kate, thx much! You're so kind and really appreciate your kind compliment. Back atcha. :Hug2:

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thx so much for bein' so smart, bettie. Much appreciation. Youz very smart and
michelle, too. :Hug2: