• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Fun with Lithium

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. So we'll be able to determine if a star had planets in its orbit just by its lithium levels - I wonder why that is though.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.

It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.

jhmcmullen

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.

It says that, but also that this is the current idea, and it still hasn't been tested. The low levels of lithium has been confirmed, but this part is still an idea.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of stars that are considered very very similar to our Sun (and thus may favor planet, life, and be better targets for SETI investigation)

The best possibility is 200 light years away, and one reason the science-daddies like it is: low lithium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIP_56948

I'd read about the lithium but really didn't understand why lithium mattered so much until the above. thanks.

It's named "Intipa Awachan" in Draco.

No, seriously, that's not the alien name ... :) ... it's in our constellation of Draco, and they gave it an Inca name that means "Sun's twin" in their mythology.

"Intipa Awachan"

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta say, for something that's supposedly science fact, the article used the phrase "burned up" to hypothesize what happened to the lithium. Burn? Like combustion? A star is a big ball of dense plasma! What they really mean is "transmute" or "fuse" or something in the nuclear realm, not the chemical.

Freaking irritating, from a website that should know better.