ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Yale University has been putting lectures on the web for some time. They're all free, and you can download the files to your MP3 player and listen on the go, which is what I do. Here is an interesting one about modern literary theory taught by Paul Fry. It's 26 lectures, so you can pick and choose what interests you, and you can also download the syllabus. I recommend it.

There are quite a few interesting courses to be found on the site. I'm currently listening to one about the Civil War era.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I watched the first of Fry's lectures, and yes, I thought it was good. Just the right level for me. (Some problems trying to get past the Barney Fife-ish voice strain problem; others with more normal hearing might be less bothered than I was.)

www.openculture.com is a great source to keep up-to-date on what's available online.

Also check out academicearth.org

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks, CG! :)

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I watched the first of Fry's lectures, and yes, I thought it was good. Just the right level for me. (Some problems trying to get past the Barney Fife-ish voice strain problem; others with more normal hearing might be less bothered than I was.)
They could use a better AV person. Perhaps there aren't any at Yale.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
As the lecture progressed, he held back somewhat. But in spite of voice modulation challenges, he's a really good lecturer, imo. To the point, clear in meaning, just enough and not too much digression.

The AV is good enough for me to understand virtually every word with a little lip reading. And, I just checked to see if there are transcripts. Yep. Best for me is to listen while reading the transcript.

I dabbled online some time ago to see if any of the theory schools would work for me, and ended up liking James Wood, an anti-theory critic; also, Francine Prose. But I also enjoy Fry's knack for approaching theory in meta-theory way.

Do you have a favorite lit theory approach, CG?

JLR

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

I just finished this class at another school and can't get enough. I just found it yesterday and am on the fourth lecture. Exciting stuff!