Must not flip the flappin' crappin' out...

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot STAND the insane e-mails my extended family forwards me. Seriously...the latest from my cousin was about Obama supporting a Muslim 'Christmas' stamp because, you know, the Muslims bombed everything. Yep.

Oh, and it doesn't matter that the stamp has been in circulation for eight years. It was still Obama.

I told her to please Snopes stuff before she sends out e-mails and to not forward me her hate mail.

I just can't TAKE it anymore! Gah!

Vent over.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Before the election, one of my former college roommates sent me tons of anti-Obama forwards, most of them crazy references to him being the anti-Christ, with long biblical passages attached. I hit "reply all" and asked her to stop sending me forwards (and told her I was surpised she would contribute to the manipulation of the Bible in such a way, because I knew that would annoy her). Then I sent an, "OMG, I didn't mean to send that to the whole list" email. :) Soon, several other people also sent emails requesting the same.

Thankfully, the emails stopped coming. Unfortunately, she hasn't spoken to me since. It makes me kinda sad, since she was a cool girl in college. But she seems to have a screw or two loose now....

Anyway, that's my suggestion -- "accidentally" reply to everyone.

:)Smish

Last edited:

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot STAND the insane e-mails my extended family forwards me. Seriously...the latest from my cousin was about Obama supporting a Muslim 'Christmas' stamp because, you know, the Muslims bombed everything. Yep.

Oh, and it doesn't matter that the stamp has been in circulation for eight years. It was still Obama.

I told her to please Snopes stuff before she sends out e-mails and to not forward me her hate mail.

I just can't TAKE it anymore! Gah!

Vent over.

I feel your pain. I'm a Skeptic readin', JREF lovin', Snopes.com checking sort of person... So, when I get crazy e-mails it bugs the @#$@# out of me.

For sanity my mother-in-law is on my "blocked" email list.

Oh the glennbeckery of it all. ;)

I don't really like Obama any more than I like most politicians. I generally tend to dislike more reps than dems, but only by a tiny, tiny margin.

Thanks to the weirdness of my interactions with the world I get spammed by left, right, and moonbats of all stripes on a regular basis. Oh, lucky, lucky me. It's just a reminder that the world is @#$@#ing crazy.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
For sanity my mother-in-law is on my "blocked" email list.

Haha. Yeah, I refuse to let my MIL even have mine for that reason. I think I've slowly been able to weed out such people, but every once in a while...

I hate email fwd philosophy SO much.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, that's my suggestion -- "accidentally" reply to everyone.
Yup - me too... only without the "accidentally", and with a postscript: "Thanks for not sending my email address to everyone on your contact list".

The one I received was a cranky "cheese-eating surrender monkey" email. My response was to remind them that, were it not for the French, we'd still be colonists, and we could just ship them back that lovely Statue of Liberty.

Never got any more of those - it worked!

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
lol I wish I'd thought to e-mail everyone before I replied.

And I'm not a big Obama fan, either, but I am a proponent of facts. Not crazytown e-mail forwards. Geez!! They just read so crazy, I don't know how anyone could believe them!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain :) I have some great friends whom I adore at coffee houses or drunken kareoke, but their Facebook posts make my jaw drop. Aaaack, I avoid folks like that, don't I? LOL, fortunately, if I don't read their posts I never see that side of them.

I don't believe they have my email addy ;)

Good luck :)

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
On a slight derail, I hate the tons and tons of chain emails I get. The whole 'if you don't send this to xxx people something bad is going to happen. It's true! Don't ignore this!!!' ;)

I get so frustrated with them, it's like 'what, do you people hate me? You want me to have bad luck?'

I never forward them.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, overtired. I've received some of those that I actually consider forwarding as I read them. Then at the end it demands I forward it to ten people within one minute or you're not a good friend if you don't forward to seven people or you hate your country if you don't forward to a hundred people or something stupid bad will happen. "Delete"

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
On a slight derail, I hate the tons and tons of chain emails I get. The whole 'if you don't send this to xxx people something bad is going to happen. It's true! Don't ignore this!!!' ;)

I get so frustrated with them, it's like 'what, do you people hate me? You want me to have bad luck?'

I never forward them.

I got an email from my mother in law shortly after getting married. She's a very, very superstitious person, so when the email started off with "So I'm not usually a superstitious person, but..." I rolled my eyes.

It waffled on about some superstition where if you fail to do something it will bring you bad luck for your loved ones, and that if you don't send the email to warn as many people as possible about the practice, you'll get years of bad luck as a punishment.

I sent her back an email saying, "You know I don't believe in superstition. Are you trying to wish something bad upon me by sending me this?"

A few days of blissful silence from her end was the result.

I get insane emails all the time. My sister, for some unknown reason, shared my email address with one of her nut job friends a few years ago, before they became sworn enemies. I still get emails from her every now and again, usually going on in horrible detail about her (self) screwed up life and how, oh, she's looking for someone's couch to sleep on because she's been kicked out of someone's house AGAIN. If the girl wasn't a certified wack job, she might retain more of her roommates.
Some of the emails this girl sends are just...... freaking weird. The only reason I don't block her is because it's kind of interesting, in some screwed up "Looking Glass" version of Big Brother kind of way. :tongue

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I get those, too. I was particularly fond of shredding the anti-Christ one.

The most recent one I got was an email claiming that the people from Snopes were liberal democrat Republican-haters, which is basically completely untrue. They frustrate me a LOT at the time, but whenever I get them I actually write back a point by point debunking email complete with links proving why it's wrong. I generally wish whoever sent it to me would then send my response to the person they received it from, but I have a feeling that doesn't happen.

This applies to all crazy forwards I receive, actually, not just political ones.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When people send me those chain emails, I make sure to send it back to the person who sent it to me the recommended number of times plus one.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah, I refuse to let my MIL even have mine for that reason. I think I've slowly been able to weed out such people, but every once in a while...

I hate email fwd philosophy SO much.

The last couple of things I passed along were some articles from Bloomberg, a video from the Singularity conference, and a funny video of James Randi talking about PhD's (and how the presenter of the diploma always wears gloves to avoid contamination :) ).

But, those weren't mass mailings or particularly "Mayor of Crazytown"-worthy. The Singularity one was just about biases and people's poor ability to anticipate future risks accurately on a guess. I'm not really into the whole "AI just like humans will be REAL" crowd. I do like the Singularity stuff, though, because I think there are useful applications for AI in the realm of bioinformatics and other helpful human areas--AI could help us avoid human mistakes...assuming lots of safeguards/checks/balances.

I post similar stuff on my facebook.

Now, Keith Olberman and Glenn Beck fans I'm linked to through facebook probably do think I'm the Mayor of Crazytown....but...then...you would have to consider the source.

I also sometimes link to Mr. Deity. Because it's hilarious.

None of this is a MASS fwd. Mass fwding is just rude 99.9% of the time.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Same here, overtired. I've received some of those that I actually consider forwarding as I read them. Then at the end it demands I forward it to ten people within one minute or you're not a good friend if you don't forward to seven people or you hate your country if you don't forward to a hundred people or something stupid bad will happen. "Delete"
I often just delete off the stupid bits and forward them to people I know will enjoy it if I find it cute or funny.

Saves everyone the anguish.