NEED HELP NOW!

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have gotten an offer from Kensington on my fantasy novel, although they have termed it action/adventure. The only thing is, they do not handle a/a and would need me to do a re-write to make it fall into their erotica line. That is fine. My main issue is, the editor plain out told me that fantasy pubs would buy it, so if an erotica themed re-write really bothered me, I should think about everything before I agreed to their offer. The editor is about to leave for a conferece, so I told her I would check my other prospects and get back to her at the end of the 2 weeks. What I need to know now is how to approach Baen and Tor. How do I let them know I have an offer from Kensington? Do I just tell them out right? I only have 2 weeks to figure out where I'll have the best offer so I really need to run past the general 9 month query and submission stages. Along with that, do you think it would make more $$ with an erotic theme?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Congrats on the Kensington offer!

I may be way off base, but even if you had a great agent behind you, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a response in 2 weeks on a full manuscript from a major SF/fantasy imprint. You're also talking about setting up an auction-type situation, with publishers bidding against each other, and that's not really something that the average author has the pull to do. I think your options here are either to accept Kensington's offer, or pass on it and try your luck elsewhere.

Whatever you decide, don't sign a contract without getting professional advice.

- Victoria

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Bird in the hand, as they say.

Way to go on getting an offer! That's terrific!