PDA

View Full Version : Need help now!



Rhush
07-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I have gotten an offer from Kensington on my fantasy novel, although they have termed it action/adventure. The only thing is, is that they do not handle a/a and would need me to do a re-write to make it fall into their erotica line. That is fine. My main issue is, the editor plain out told me that fantasy pubs would buy it, so if an erotica themed re-write really bothered me, I should think about everything before I agreed to their offer. The editor is about to leave for a conferece, so I told her I would check my other prospects and get back to her at the end of the 2 weeks. What I need to know now is how to approach Baen and Tor. How do I let them know I have an offer from Kensington? Do I just tell them out right? I only have 2 weeks to figure out where I'll have the best offer so I really need to run past the general 9 month query and submission stages. Anyone have advice?

DaveKuzminski
07-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Many publishers accept and purchase based upon the literary tastes of their editors. Because of that and the time constraint, I suggest you go with what you have offered.

brinkett
07-22-2005, 03:59 AM
Anyone have advice?
Well, are you sure you don't mind the rewrite to erotica and signing with Kensington? It sounds to me like you'd prefer a fantasy pub to pick it up and that's why you're scrambling. If Tor or Baen made you an offer, would you take it? If so, maybe you're not as thrilled about going with Kensington.

In any event, I doubt Tor or Baen would read your manuscript and decide whether to buy it within the next two weeks. I could be wrong about this, however, not having been in the position you're in.

If all that matters to you is that your novel be published, I'd go with Kensington because you have no idea if anyone else will ever offer on it. If the integrity of the work matters to you and you never meant for it to be erotica, then you might want to consider turning them down. I'd like my novel to be published, but if I received an offer contingent on turning it into erotica, I'd say no, not because I've got anything against erotica, but because it wouldn't be right for that particular work. However, I'm also not desperate to be published.

You've got two weeks, so consider carefully.

scfirenice
07-22-2005, 04:25 AM
If you really want to publish under fantasy then you probably should. Everything I've read says it is Ok to step out but to be honest with the publisher about why you are shopping when there is an offer on the table. That there is an offer on the table bodes well for you to at least try. Two weeks is a short time though, it's worth considering though.

Sharon Mock
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm no expert, but I'd suspect now is when you want to start seriously looking for an agent.

I believe -- though you'll want to double-check -- that if you've got an offer from Kensington on the table, it's not out of line to call agents and see if they would be interested in representing you.