How was it for you...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
...this decade?

It's only just dawned on me this decade is over in a matter of weeks (I've had a lot going on lately :D) so I've been thinking about how this decade has been for me personally as well as how it's been globally. I remember the big deal that was the end of the 90s and it felt so much bigger than now. Obviously that was the end of a century, but even so the end of this decade feels like a bit of a wet fart.

So, will you miss the 00s or has it all been a pile of old arse?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
This has been the best and worst decade of my life. :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The lows have been low, but the highs were out of this world. My wife was with me when the decade started and she's still here, and she is the biggest part of me.

God, Y2K was ten years ago already?

I'm old, so I make the most of the small things. Because of that I'm happy most of the time.

I'm not going to have a lot more decades, so Imma gonna make the most of this next one.

I'm going to start right now by going to Erotica SYW.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I moved into a new life 3 months before the decade started. Since then, I've gotten married, had my children, written 2 novels (started about 7), joined AW, made some amazing friends (on and off AW and some pretty fantastic real life people are in my life).

I also had a bunch of job troubles early in the decade, which comes with a bunch of financial troubles, but have managed to get over them well enough and am in a good job that I like.

I'd say, overall, I've had a pretty good decade.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it was my first decade as an official "adult" and I've spent, really, all of it as a parent/student. It would be hard to look back on it with regret without pissing off my children and husband :D

We've had our ups and downs...but, all in all, I'd have to say, it's been all right for me personally. Definitely a major time of personal growth.

Globally, I'd say the world seems to be plugging along with its innovations, its wars, its insanity, its fads, and everything else as expected. Some good things, some great things, some bad things, some terrible things--everything you could expect from a decade. :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I shan't do too much complaining. I have made serious strides at becoming a writer. I was in my 30's during this last decade, and was a much happier person than the moody, depressed, childish girl I was in my 20's. I'm glad that girl is gone. Still don't feel like a "woman" - I cringe at that word. I have grown spiritually... but I still refuse to grow up.

This last year has sucked royally on the job front - but I have been writing my dragon-world books for 2 years now (can't believe I am working on the 3rd one...) It's my focus, and it's taking my mind off all the sucky things. I might work in an office as a cog in a tiny, going-off-the-tracks machine, but my writing is who I am. I'm glad I found that out this decade.

Next decade is gonna rawk.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Have to say that each decade of my life has been the best. Might sound weird, but if I look back I always managed to be OK at any age, though I must admit that I rarely do. Today is good enough for me.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, it's been the best decade so far. The 70s were a blur of learning to walk and use the toilet, then tackling the heights of dressing myself and learning to read and whatnot. The 80s were all awkward and sad. The 90s were spent dialing up from everything's-a-pain-in-the-ass to okay-I'll-stay. I started to figure some stuff out. And the first ten years of the 21st century? If I much complained, I'd get struck by lightning for sure.

But now I want things again. I'm not good at wanting things. So, hopefully, I won't dig a decade-hole of pining.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
It didn't start out so good for me, had a bad couple of years of pretty bad depression, gained a ridiculous amount of weight and stuff but these past 4-5 years have been the best of my life so at least the decade seems to be going to end well.

I lost most of the weight, changed uni programmes and loved what I did. I'm having a hard time getting a job (I just got rejected for yet another one >_< ) but overall, I'm optimistic.

Maybe next decade I can have the job, the man and the book ;)

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
My decade was rather picaresque.

I started out as a pseudo hippie trailing after a jam band and ended as a soccer mom trailing after two kids.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You lot are too damn happy. Where's the doom and gloom? Where's the regrets? :D

I think I can help you out there, Sean.

In the years between 2000 and 2009, my husband was unemployed twice so we had a lot of money problems and I've still had a lot of trouble finding work.

I lost both of my parents--my dad in 2007 and my mom in 2009. And my mother-in-law also died in 2009.

Stinko years I'd say.

So 2010 can only get better.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see....in chronological order.

* I got divorced
* I moved
* I finished nursing school
* I got married
* I moved
* My mom died
* I decided I like emergency medicine
* My dad died
* I wrote 3 books
* I had a few health issues
* My daughter almost died
* Started suffering from caregiver burnout
* I moved
* I wrote another book
* I joined AW

...but I laughed almost every day.

Well, it is what it is. Life. Worse things could have happened. Better things could have happened. Overall, I think I weathered it all pretty well.

Looking forward to seeing what the next ten bring.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
You lot are too damn happy. Where's the doom and gloom? Where's the regrets? :D

First five years of the decade were stupendously horrible; the past five years have been steadily better and better. So, no more doom. I will be taking gloom to his psych appointment next week though ;) Sigh. Day before our wedding anniversary too.

No regrets though, even the bad stuff. I can't change what's happened :) Plus, without all the bad things, i wouldn't have a lovely hubby or our beautiful boy.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting question. I haven't thought much about it.

My younger sister died just before 2000 began, so the decade started off with her funeral.

My grandfather died the summer of 2000, so that was another funeral.

I got laid off for the first time in my life in 2003 and spent 2 1/2 years unemployed.

I realized that my writing sucked and that the vast majority I'd spent the last many years learning about writing was dead wrong for me and started exploring the things about writing that are actually mine and what works for me.

My best friend's husband (also a friend) died unexpectedly in a car accident in 2006. (I was there when the police delivered the news.)

My best friend decided to move from Detroit and invited me to rent half her new house in Pittsburgh. 6 weeks after moving, I got a job (my present job) and started working full time.

For the first time in my life, I was able to buy a brand-new car and not some $500 clunker that died or committed suicide in less than 2 years.

My dad survived colon cancer and emergency quad-bypass surgery. My folks celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last August. The entire family was on speaking terms for the date. (That, in itself, was a miracle)

My son dumped his fiancee and there's no signs of reconcillation (this is a GOOD thing). They'd been together for almost five years. I was dreading the possibility of a wedding next year.

I'm finally happy with what I'm writing again. It's not easy, and not always fun, but I'm finally happy with it.

So I think the decade got better as it went along. I'm hoping the next one (or two or seven) follows suit.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... was walking about the streets about two years back when a stranger suddenly said hi to me and smiled! So I suppose the decade has been a pretty good one, overall, compared to prior ones.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose my view of it is sullied by the fact that the last 3 years have been so great, but I'm really happy.

The first 5 years of this decade was pretty rough. But the relationship I was in, ended. I found myself, started writing seriously, and got married. I'm really looking forward to the next decade, and my 30's in general.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This was one of the best decades of my life.

The 60s and 70s were pretty cool. The 60s...I potty trained, learned to read a bit, learned how to walk and do some other pretty cool things too. The 70s...I learned all about the world of music, I got high. Often. I fell in love with everything.

The 80s...they were the best of times, they were the worst of times. I got to be the Leather Messiah. I got high. Often. I danced through every underground (and aboveground) nightclub (and dayclub) from Toronto to Montreal. I blew stuff up my nose and huffed stuff into my mouth. But I also dealt with the pretty manic demons in my head...other than that, though, I had a blast. Almost died several times. Almost lived a few too.

The 90s...fell back down to the demons in my head. Almost didn't make it out alive...which is why I turned back to my creative dead-side in the 00s. It was the 00s that gave me my writing back...saved me, really. 99 was THE worst year of my life. Barely made it through alive. But at the end of that year, I was resurrected. I was able to finally say, "no more". I turned my back on the demons and decided to live in my creative side. That was the turn around that made the 00s the best decade to date.

Lesson learned...BE YOURSELF. So, yes...the 00s decade has been pretty beautiful. This new creative life is taking me to Kenya for the last month of this decade. How apropos is that...talk about spreading your wings and flying. I once was lost, but now I'm found. Was blind, but now I see.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Personally, I'm happier and more content than I was at the start of the decade; I no longer have the urge to kill people if they annoy me (not much of the time, anyway). Globally, I think this decade has been a bit of a stinker, but I'm hoping the next one improves.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I laughed at myself a lot.

Sure, there was some doom and gloom, but I laughed at that, too.

I plan on laughing my way through the next decade, too.