poison control, Wal-mart, and a state project from hell

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
So, this morning has been a lovely wild ride through all the things that childless people point to as a major reason for remaining that way.

First, my middle son had a last-minute kindergarten project on a state. It involved a poster and a ten page worksheet set on all the state facts. Which had me, as a former homeschooler, scratching my head wondering what the @#$@# the teacher was thinking. Kindy kids really aren't ready to produce more than a sentence or so per page and have a limited attention span.

The poster-collage was fine, but a 10 page worksheet packet asking for brief bios on at least 4 famous state people? Give me a break. That's appropriate for 2nd grade. Not mid-kindy. And I say this as a parent who taught my oldest from kindy-3rd with some measure of success (he's couple of grades advanced in math and maxes out the Stanford 9, etc. standardized tests in the 99th percentile).

I've been up since the crap of dawn. My 5 year old and I, tried to slap this thing together the best we could. The writing was killing us both, because he can read well, but composition? Fah-get-a-bout-it.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, my 2 year old wakes up and scales the bathroom medicine cabinet, snatching up the TUMS. I ran in when I heard the rattling sound ( of the TUMS bottle being upturned) over the monitor. She was popping things hand over little fist. I yanked as many out of her mouth as possible, took the bottle, and her, and called poison control. She's fine, they say, but she may be a little constipated and can't drink milk/eat cheese for at least another 24 hours.

Did I mention I'm still suffering from violent morning sickness? No? Well, I am and I forgot to take my medicine for it first thing. You can imagine how well that went.

So, I get my son to school a little late and the office lady sternly reminds me that their attendance policy is very strict and that 10 tardies equal an absence. Blah. I live in a state where UNSCHOOLING is perfectly legal, parents children aren't legally required to even file an affidavit of intent to home school/place them in school until age 6, and you can actually sign a waiver of formal education until age 8! My kids have good attendance and straight A's to boot. In short, they can bite me. I know funding is tight, but chiding me for a blue-moon tardy is just annoying.

Besides THAT, the only reason I have them in a school is for the social aspect of the experience. I cover material at home. I have to, despite the inappropriately difficult project, the quality of instruction is not-so-great around here and if I don't supplement then the kids would lose what I've already taught. Actually, I had to purchase additional worksheets to send in w/ my oldest because my oldest's teacher is being driven up the walls during math time as my son is 2 grades advanced of the material they're covering--teacher wants him moved up. I said no for social reasons. (I was several grades ahead in school, myself. Not. Fun.)

Then, I had to run to Wal-mart with my 2-year-old wild-eyed pill-popper who had a massive case of ants-in-the-pants, "the grabbies", and a sudden compulsion to pitch her shoes/try to acrobatics in the cart.

It's nap-time now....which is great. Except I have to wake her shortly to pick the kids up from an early release!

Long story short:
I AM SO GLAD TOMORROW IS A HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody else in this boat????????????

Last edited:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Veterans' Day in the US.

I don't think everyone gets Veteran's Day off, but it is a break from school meaning no homework, no last-minute-slap-together-projects, no office ladies, etc.

It means going on a leisurely stroll to the park, enjoying the weather and doing projects w/ the kids that I actually want to do :)

So, it's a holiday for parents and kids...but I think my husband will still be stuck at work (unless I can convince him to play hooky).

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I'm out of the loop on holidays. The next holiday I care about is Hanukkah. :D

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... what a day. I hope tomorrow comes quickly for you! As to your question... my boat is very small compared to yours and all I have to deal with is :e2yawn:

The next holiday we really talk about is Thanksgiving. Sadly, Veteran's day has become just a "bank is closed" day around here. I should do something about that...

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I'm out of the loop on holidays. The next holiday I care about is Hanukkah. :D

Fair enough! Personally, I like any day (or days) when the kids or my husband are off from school/work.

Most days, I miss teaching the kids at home. Mainly, because dealing with the red-tape of in-person education. The kids enjoy aspects of it, though, so I tolerate it.

It was a lot easier when we didn't have to juggle school and extra activities (classes, community activities, sports).

Again, I love holidays, bank days, whatever you want to call them where the time belongs to us and no one else.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you don't force them to learn on their holidays. :D

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, those are good. I remember I used to be really interested in rockets and space. I build a model rocket shaped like the space shuttle. I named it Challenger (why they included a "Challenger" sticker, I have no idea), and it exploded during the launch. How freaky is that?