I've officially made my descent into "old fuddy duddy-ism"...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I remember I used to laugh at the old guys around here who would complain about upgrades. I always enjoyed upgrades because it always seemed like the upgrades made things easier.

However, this is not the case with the newest version of Microsoft Office. We upgraded to Office 2007 recently and all I've been doing is bitching about how crappy it is. And not only that, but they filled the new version chock full of suck and then made it so that you almost HAVE to upgrade or else you can't read the files people send to you (unless you tell them to save it as an older version).

So, it has officially begun. I am now on the brink of old fuddy duddyness.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yep. You're in your dotage. Ready for some gruel?

It gets worse. Wait until you yell at your kids to "turn down that damn noise!" and then find your old albums in a closet. All it takes is one Twisted Sister album to make you feel like a huge hypocrite.:D

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Well, 2007 was a major change. I think ultimately Word and Excel will be easier to learn from scratch (and I'm getting used to them), but for experienced users it's going to be a real pain to switch because basically everything is in a different place. Some features are quite nice once you get used to it, though.

The changes to Access are even more severe and even more challenging to experienced Access users. If you don't use Access, be glad.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It gets worse. Wait until you yell at your kids to "turn down that damn noise!" and then find your old albums in a closet. All it takes is one Twisted Sister album to make you feel like a huge hypocrite.:D

I had something kinda similar happen over the summer. We had some college interns at work, and one of them was in our office. Now, mind you, I'm "only" 28 years old and he was like 22, so it's not like I'm old enough to be his father.

anyway, he was educating me on the beauty of torrents. And I was like "well, you know, I tried the torrent thing last night and I figured it out, but, man, the best program for that sort of thing was Napster."

And he laughed at me because I was an original user of Napster.

(Disclaimer: Not that I advocate the use of piracy, and I honestly don't do it *that* much anymore anyway as it's easier to just go buy CDs than it is to infect my computer will all kinds of malware. Just relating the convo as it happened and how it made me feel like an old, twisted codger. :D)

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. We horrify my daughters with references to the original Macintosh computer we learned on, laugh when they shriek hysterically at the original game versions of Metroid or Final Fantasy Tactics, snicker at their puzzlement over cassette tapes or 8 tracks or even vinyl albums, and occasionally dig the first cell phone (attached to its battery pack by a cord) from my dad's attic while they stare in complete and absolute puzzlement.

It's great fun to torture the young.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Actually, they don't]make you upgrade. You can download the Office 2007 compatibility pack, which takes you back to being able to open Office 2007 files on at least Office 2000 (with some fancy functions stripped out of fancy docs, but the important stuff still there.) See-- you're too old to even google such a thing. ;-)

The Henry Ford Museum has all your childhood memories... in a museum exhibit, James. And the oldies station is playing the music you listened to in high school.

Pretty soon you'll be yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My younger daughter's ring tone:

*yes these are the lyrics*

Slob on my knob
Like corn on the cob
Check in with me
And do the job

It just gets worse from there. The last time her phone rang when we were at my parents' house, I nearly sank through the floor.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty soon you'll be yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

http://www.playerpress.com/uploads/Image/EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

My younger daughter's ring tone:

*yes these are the lyrics*

Slob on my knob
Like corn on the cob
Check in with me
And do the job

It just gets worse from there. The last time her phone rang when we were at my parents' house, I nearly sank through the floor.

I think I'd have an anuerism if I ever heard my daughter listening to music like that.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

Once I realized that the last thing I wanted to be was MY parents, I had to give up the ghost on granting either of my daughters even a modicum of musical taste.

It was horrible. Oh well--at least they can read.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

Once I realized that the last thing I wanted to be was MY parents, I had to give up the ghost on granting either of my daughters even a modicum of musical taste.

It was horrible. Oh well--at least they can read.

Heh, well musical taste is one thing, but some singer talking about having someone "slob his knob," that's a little much for me. lol (you realize what that phrase means, right?)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
This is a funny thread. I'm glad the gov't takes forever to upgrade b/c we still have WindowsXP and Microsoft 2003. I hated the trial 2007 from last year. I stick with XP and 2003 on my laptop at home too.

And, the other day, my SO's daughter was over. I don't remember what we were doing or what she was trying to do, but I told her no, she couldn't do whatever it was she wanted to do. She has a great pouty face, so she stuck her lip out and asked why not? I was about to come up with some explaination, but my SO said, "Because she said so!" I laughed and said, "Oh yeah...we can say that now! I used to hate it when my mom said that to me! But we get to say that now!"

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, well musical taste is one thing, but some singer talking about having someone "slob his knob," that's a little much for me. lol (you realize what that phrase means, right?)

It's hardly brain surgery to figure that out. I stopped before the really offensive lyrics.

And it wasn't a singer. It was a rapper. Yes, yes--rap is a recognized art form, but there's nothing artistic about slob on my knob, IMO.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
This is a funny thread. I'm glad the gov't takes forever to upgrade b/c we still have WindowsXP and Microsoft 2003. I hated the trial 2007 from last year. I stick with XP and 2003 on my laptop at home too.

And, the other day, my SO's daughter was over. I don't remember what we were doing or what she was trying to do, but I told her no, she couldn't do whatever it was she wanted to do. She has a great pouty face, so she stuck her lip out and asked why not? I was about to come up with some explaination, but my SO said, "Because she said so!" I laughed and said, "Oh yeah...we can say that now! I used to hate it when my mom said that to me! But we get to say that now!"

The other day I told my daughter to do something and she looked up at me and she said "You're not the boss of me!" She even had the little side-to-side head thing going on when she said it. She's 3 years old.

I was so taken aback by that, that I literally couldn't find the words. I didn't expect that for at least another 5 years. I guess I need to go google the appropriate repsonse to such a statement, so that I can get in character as the "dad."

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, they don't]make you upgrade. ...
Except when your workplace upgrades. You don't have much choice then.

BTW, as an Access MVP, I got to see the 2007 GUI before even the Beta test version came out. All the MVPs were horrified by the Ribbon and the other changes to Access, but it didn't make a bit of difference. They went ahead with the changes anyway. *sigh*

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's hardly brain surgery to figure that out. I stopped before the really offensive lyrics.

And it wasn't a singer. It was a rapper. Yes, yes--rap is a recognized art form, but there's nothing artistic about slob on my knob, IMO.

Well, in a way it's an art form, but not as part of a "song." :tongue

But you've reminded me (pull out little notebook), rap is officially off limits to my kids until they are 30 years old. :D

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
In reference to the "you're not the boss of me" statement, I think I found an appropriate response. Let me know what you think:

"As long as you are under my roof, you'll live by my rules."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I told my daughter to do something and she looked up at me and she said "You're not the boss of me!" She even had the little side-to-side head thing going on when she said it. She's 3 years old.

I was so taken aback by that, that I literally couldn't find the words. I didn't expect that for at least another 5 years. I guess I need to go google the appropriate repsonse to such a statement, so that I can get in character as the "dad."

Hmmm, I think it would be something along the lines of, "I'm your father, and that means that yes, I am the boss of you." lol

But I'm not a true parent, so I don't know. But I had to laugh reading your post.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
In reference to the "you're not the boss of me" statement, I think I found an appropriate response. Let me know what you think:

How about, "I'm bigger than you. I'm stronger than you. That makes me the boss."

If she was a teenager: "I have all the money. That makes me the boss."

:D

Have her watch The Little Mermaid. Triton: "As long as you live under my ocean..."

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
How about, "I'm bigger than you. I'm stronger than you. That makes me the boss."

If she was a teenager: "I have all the money. That makes me the boss."

:D

If it were an adult male who said it to me (highly unlikely, but let's consider it), I would probably respond with "Shut the hell up before I beat the bejesus out of you."

But alas, I don't think I can use that one.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

Another one of those classic parent sayings.

We're old now, aren't we? haha

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

*sigh*

Afraid so. Sucks, doesn't it? But then again, I clean house to the dulcet tones of the Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedys, so I can claim some residual coolness in the eyes of my kids. :D

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

My son left the door open Saturday when he went outside and I almost whipped out a "Shut the door, I'm not heating the neighborhood" on him. But I caught myself before it slipped out. :D