Always looking out for us.

:D

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I do think this is a brilliant move, and I'm so please Angela James is on board, though it's a shame they put their name on Horizons (since taken back) and not this. And their subsequent disqualification from RWA.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do think this is a brilliant move, and I'm so please Angela James is on board, though it's a shame they put their name on Horizons (since taken back) and not this. And their subsequent disqualification from RWA.
And SFWA, MWA, with more organizations expected. Nobody seems to approve.

Maryn, who doesn't, either--but thanking Stew21

Writer18

Registered
Reaction score
Carina Press

When Carina Press was first announced, I thought "why not" and sent a UF submission to them that's made the rounds with traditional agents and publishers. While the MS has gotten lots of great feedback and even finaled in two large national contests, it hasn't been picked up. Hence, my "why not" with Carina.

Well, they sent an email this morning and want to buy my MS. Decision time.

I have another MS completed and making the rounds, with several partials and fulls sent between Thanksgiving and yesterday, upon agent request. This MS involves the same characters as the one Carina wants, although it's not a sequel. And the third MS I'm polishing now unites the characters and plots from the first two MSs . . .

Okay, I think I have my answer -- I can't sell to Carina because it could negatively impact the future sale of the other two. Still, it's dang hard to walk away from an offer to publish . . . even e-publish.

If anyone thinks I'm insane, please feel free to tell me!

www.elisapaige.com

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you're insane at all. I think you see that Carina is a poor choice for your circumstance.

Well, I suppose you could be insane, too. It's not the same as stupid, right?

Maryn, a little of both

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Its not crazy to walk away. If the characters are from the same "series" so to speak... the contract offered would like contain a "first refusal" clause in it, which would prevent you from publishing any other books with the same characters or world, with another publisher without first giving the opportunity to Carina... so it they arent right for the other two books, then they are not right for this 1st one.

You could try to negotiate out that clause, but I imagine it would be difficult and you'd likely want an agent or attorney to make sure it was re-worded properly.

Writer18

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Before I sign anything, I'd send it to my pub attorney (I'm published in nonfiction and have just begun working on the fiction side, so no agent as yet).

Always great advice to check with the experts first!

www.elisapaige.com

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Thanks for the input! Before I sign anything, I'd send it to my pub attorney (I'm published in nonfiction and have just begun working on the fiction side, so no agent as yet).

Always great advice to check with the experts first!

www.elisapaige.com

Hehehe... sorry if I gave you the impression I'm an expert! *lol* I've only just begun in the publishing world. A rank amatuer at best! I wish you the best with your endeavor. If it sold to Carina, which is run by the former lead editor for Samhain, I believe ... then you're sure to sell somewhere else that better suits your vision for your book. No need to jump at the first contract. I did, but it suited my vision! Hehehe.

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for link. I've written mostly Romantica/Erotica stories, a fusion of genres and sub-genres at various writing forums over the years and I am finally going to parlay whatever talent I possesses have into a MS to submit to, most likely, an epublsiher. I've done a fair amount of research and have book marked a few sites such as Samhain, Loose ID, Ellora's cave and Noble Romance, to name a few.

I suppose now the impetus should be to finish the damn thing first!!!!!

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
Its not crazy to walk away. If the characters are from the same "series" so to speak... the contract offered would like contain a "first refusal" clause in it, which would prevent you from publishing any other books with the same characters or world, with another publisher without first giving the opportunity to Carina... so it they arent right for the other two books, then they are not right for this 1st one.

You could try to negotiate out that clause, but I imagine it would be difficult and you'd likely want an agent or attorney to make sure it was re-worded properly.

Well, you could alter the 1st refusal clause, that if they refuse any subsequent books in the series, that digital rights to the series revert to you. That would let you take the series (with its established fan base) to another publisher.

I'd also want a clause where if the book didn't sell very many copies in a year, I'd want the rights back, as well. Maybe a different market outlet would let you sell more copies somewhere else.

I can see no reason why they wouldn't agree. After all, if your book isn't selling in their market, they aren't making money on it anyway.

Also, since they aren't publishing in print, I'd make sure to retain print rights. If they want, they can have first refusal on putting the book into print, with one of their other lines, but if they refuse, and someone else wants to print it, then they have to allow it. They should only get to hold what they are paying for and selling, which is digital publishing rights.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters that if you can get Carina to agree to a contract you'd be happy with, then it might be worth pursuing -- bird in hand, etc etc. But if they won't negotiate the print rights and options clause, then in your circumstances it'd probably be wiser to decline their offer.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
As stated in the email Elisa received, there is no options clause in the contract.

Reaction score
Hmm.

My reaction?

You couldn't pay me to sub to these guys.

The Horizons debacle killed off what little respect I had for them anyway, but even previous to that I didn't like their books - what Harlequin call 'spicy' novels don't even raise a tickle in my nethers and for the most part I'm not that far over the vanilla line.

Writer18

Registered
Reaction score
Any time someone expresses an interest in my work, I'm thrilled. To want to go to contract? The thrill increases exponentially.

The bottomline for all of us is that we want our work read and enjoyed -- anything that leads in the correct direction is . . . well, you get the idea.

With contracts, there will always be points of negotiation, just as there will be areas that cannot be modified -- for both sides. While the suggestions made are very much appreciated, I don't imagine they're areas any publisher would really bend on. (Especially since my last name isn't Macomber or Brown or Chance or Harris!)

The discussion has helped tremendously and now I have some thinking to do.

Happy New Year to all!

www.elisapaige.com