PDA

View Full Version : RWA convention

Carlene
07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Just wondering - how many of you nice romance writers are going to Reno next week? This is going to be my first time and so far I'm overwhelmed! So many seminars - I just can't decide which ones to go to!

Susan Gable
07-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Carlene, I'm sorry to say that I'm taking this year off from National. I've gone every year since 2000, but not this year. :(

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. That said, let me offer some tips I've picked up since 2000.

#1 and most important - wear comfortable shoes! You will be doing a lot of walking from place to place.

#2 - Plan in advance what workshops you want to attend, but be flexible. If after ten minutes (or whatever) you don't think the workshop is going to work for you, do not be afraid to quietly gather your things and sneak out. A speaker is not going to be insulted. If you feel self-conscious, look at your watch, and then sneak out as if you're off to an important meeting with an editor or agent. :) But you should never feel obligated to sit through a workshop that's not working for you. Different things work for different writers.

#3 - Don't be afraid to talk to people. "Hi, I'm Carlene. What do you write?" is always an appropriate ice-breaker. Equally, don't be bashful about asking, "Is this seat taken? Do you mind if I join you?" Generally speaking, everyone is very nice at the conference. (That said, if you see someone with an industry name tag on and it looks like an important pow-wow going on, don't interupt that. But you already knew that!)

#4 - FREE BOOKS! Yes, there are plenty of free books at conference. You might want to make sure you have room in your suitcase for books. Or you can find a box, pack them up and ship them home. The publishers have special signings at various times - you'll find them listed in the conference shedule. (Just try to avoid being trampled - sometimes it's just insane what a bunch of writers will do for free books if things are not organized. <G>)

#5 - Take advantage of buying tapes or CDs of workshops. Last year I bought the whole thing on CDs for $99.00 I'm hoping they offer that same price this year. That way I got most of the workshops to listen to whenever I want. Ask other people for recommendations of the workshops they got the most out of.

#6 - Don't be afraid to sneak up to your room in the afternoon for a quick power nap. That's the only way I survive conference. <G>

#7 - Enjoy yourself! RWA National is an incredible experience. Have fun!

I am planning on going to Atlanta next year. :-)
Susan G.

Rhush
07-26-2005, 07:17 AM
Hey guys! What day does this conference end? My editor is at it and Im just wondering what day she might be back and able to answer my emails. Thanks!

Susan Gable
07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey guys! What day does this conference end? My editor is at it and Im just wondering what day she might be back and able to answer my emails. Thanks!

It finishes late Saturday evening, so they usually travel home on Sunday and are back in the offices next Monday. :)

Susan G.

Rhush
07-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks Susan :)

Dawno
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Does the conference allow registration at the door? Can anyone attend? I am studying romance writing and Reno is a couple hour drive away...also, when does it start?

Susan Gable
07-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Does the conference allow registration at the door? Can anyone attend? I am studying romance writing and Reno is a couple hour drive away...also, when does it start?

Dawn, no, they don't do any registration at the door. It's starting on Thursday, but Wed. night they will have the BIGGEST author-signing you've ever seen. It's to benefit literacy organizations. That's open to the public if you want to go to that. It's 5:30-8:30 pm, local time at the Reno Hilton.
For a complete list of the 450+ authors who will be signing books, go here:

http://www.rwanational.org/literacy/2005LiteracyAuthors.htm

Information about the conference can be found here:

http://www.rwanational.org/conference/conference.htm

They often offer sales of tapes of many of the workshops. That's a good way to start. If you're truly interested in learning about writing romance, you should really join RWA (www.rwanational.org ) It's a great place to learn - and you would have already known about the conference!

To order some of last year's tapes/cd set of the whole conference, go here:

https://www.billspro.com/rwa/rw04.html For $130 plus shipping, you can get the entire set of last year's workshops. I did that, and I was there. <G> I'm hoping they do the same thing this year. You can also a set of the handouts from the RWA website.

It's not too early to start planning to attend next year's conference! Next year will be in Atlanta, and 2007 will be in Dallas. 2008 is on the west coast in San Fransico.

Susan G.

Dawno
07-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Thank you, Susan. Great information!