Fairy Tales/Myths/Fables Retold

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
(This is for research purposes, but I wasn't sure if it'd be better off here or in the AW Book Club. Sorry if I'm wrong.)

I'm looking to compile a list of various retellings of classic tales. Anything is fair game, really - books, movies, whatever. Ella Enchanted, Ever After, 10 Things I Hate About You, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, O, etc.. (Wow, three of those were Cinderella-based.)

I'm thinking freely, too. My Sister's Keeper is a vague, modernized Cain-and-Abel tale, at least in my mind.

Any thoughts? I'm looking for the broadest list I can get.

Thanks! :)

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
East Of Eden is also a modernization of the Cain/Abel thing.

Look at Disney movies, many are based on classic tales, The Lion King, Bambi, etc.

Most recent that comes to mind is the FX series Sons Of Anarchy being loosely based on Hamlet.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
East Of Eden is also a modernization of the Cain/Abel thing.

Look at Disney movies, many are based on classic tales, The Lion King, Bambi, etc.

Most recent that comes to mind is the FX series Sons Of Anarchy being loosely based on Hamlet.

What is Bambi based on?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Wow, that's going to be a huge list. Huge.

Ten Things I hate about You is a modernization of Taming of the Shrew
West Side Story-Romeo and Juliet
Clueless--
Jane Austen's Emma

Robin McKinley did a fantastic modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, entitled Beauty and Anne Rice did as well in erotic fashion--a three book series with Beauty in the titles.

Oh, and you can't forget Stephen Sondheim's masterly (and ultimately annoying) Broadway hit Into the Woods which intertwines many fairy tales into a single plot line.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bambi the movie is based on Bambi, A Life In The Woods, a German novel!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Cohen Brother's Brother Where Art Thou, based on The Odyssey by Homer.

What Ever it Takes, Cyrano DeBergerac for teens. Roxanne, Cyrano for the 1980s.

Others will come to mind. I know that there are lots of myths retold in modern settings.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Troy - movie, the tale (?; could also be a historical fact i think) told by Homer about the Trojan war.

The Firebrand - book by Marion Zimmer Bradley, also about the Trojan war but from a different perspective.

The Mists Of Avalon - book by Marion Zimmer Bradley; the King Arthur tale.

Red Orm - book by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson about the Vikings and their myths, tales and whatnot;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röde_Orm

The Egyptian - book by Mika Waltari, about Akhenaten. Though a historical figure, Waltari brings life to an era surrounded by tales.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firebird by Mercedes Lackey is based on a Russian fairytale.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Our own Jim C. Hines is turning some fairy tales on their ears.

I highly recommend his two current books (The Stepsisters' Scheme and the Mermaid's Madness).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Take a look at DC Comics' Fables series. There is an original novel as well, written by the author of the comic. The Lion King is an unauthorized swipe of a Japanese comic.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I'd be willing to be so bold as to say that nearly (qualifier for safety) every story in western culture is a rehashing of an ancient Greek story, which in turn are probably rehashing of even earlier stories. Shakespeare wrote his immortal plays right after a number of Greek dramas and myths had been translated to Latin for the first time.

As far as story-telling goes, there's only so many basic structures that can be used keeping a story comprehensible and entertaining. Modernistic and post-modernistic literature taught as that much.

I think Shakespeare proves that it's not the story you tell, it's how you tell it that matters.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Jacques Offenbach has composed a couple of unforgettable operettas based on greek mythology; Orpheus in the Underworld, La Belle Helene.

The legend of Robin Hood has been filmed oodles of times and here is a link to tell about them all; http://www.lib.rochester.edu/CAMELOT/rh/rhfilms.htm

The comic books about Prince Valiant are about the myth of King Arthur and Camelot;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Valiant

The myths (?) of children brought up by animals have also become comic books, movies and books;
The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling
Tarzan, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Amala and Kamala, story first told by The Reverend Joseph Amrito Lal Singh. It has been filmed, but I don't remember the title or who made it.

The folklore myth about vampires has almost become a subculture today.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
For feral children myths add Korak and Ka-Zar to your reading list. Also hunting down information about the two real-life children by the name of Grenier who were found living amongst wolves (or dogs) in France. They weren't related as far as I can remember.

It might be a good idea to search through TV Tropes for general similarities which appear continuously in fiction and real life. The contributors have amazing knowledge of all kinds of obscure shows, books, comics and films.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley is a brilliant novel-length retelling of 'Sleeping Beauty'.

Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes contains some brilliant and irreverent retellings of traditional fairy tales including 'Little Red Riding Hood' and 'Cinderella'.

There's also Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Gregory Maguire's stock in trade is retold fairytales. There's Lost (A Christmas Carol), Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (Cinderella), Mirror, Mirror (Snow White), and the Wicked series based on The Wizard of Oz - Wicked, Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales, by Jon Scieszka. He also has a retelling of the Three Little Pigs. They're both hilarious.

SilverBirch

I really should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathrynmckade.blogspot.com
If you're interested in a more scholarly look into the origins and histories of many fairy tales, check out anything by Jack Zipes. I have been slowly but surely working through every one of his books my library can get ahold of!