PDA

View Full Version : Carina Press

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Alcasgra
11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
I think everyone has a different waiting period. I submitted my manuscript on September 15th and received a form rejection on October 28th. I believe that's approximately six weeks.

zmethos
12-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Got a favorite from one of their editors on #PitMad. Just uploaded my submission. Guess we'll see.

Alcasgra
12-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Got a favorite from one of their editors on #PitMad. Just uploaded my submission. Guess we'll see.

Congrats! :) Any interest is better than none.

WDusty
01-20-2017, 06:35 AM
I submitted a paranormal crime duology to them this past summer (Cold Case: FBI). They responded in good time, both rejections. I give them credit for responding -- none of the other publishers I submitted to even bothered (all imprints of major publishers - I won't submit to small presses). Still, I think they were wrong in their assessment. Hopefully one day I can prove that to be the case. We'll see.

zmethos
01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Ultimately a rejection. But they did encourage me to submit again.

Deb Kinnard
01-24-2017, 04:36 AM
Apparently an open call for submissions is out there; I got this on the RWA loop.

http://carinapress.com/blog/2017/01/call-for-submissions-open-proposal/?doing_wp_cron=1485216315.3789620399475097656250

Caveat: I have nothing with Carina and know next to nothing about them for good or ill.

akaria
01-24-2017, 08:33 PM
They did this sort of thing last year. I wonder what kind of proposals they accepted.

JustWonderin
01-24-2017, 08:44 PM
They requested to see my full from my proposal, I sent it in, I got a form rejection about a month later.

Deb Kinnard
01-24-2017, 09:37 PM
That squares with my experience with Harlequin as a whole. I was approached via a cold e-mail by one of their editors that she really liked my voice. Although they couldn't use a time-travel romance (the sample she'd seen was that story), would I please send her something else?

I did. Three months later I got one of those meaningless Rs. I doubt if the editor who requested my stuff ever actually saw it. Of course she might've. But this is par for the course with them unless you're already a known quantity.

Anna204
01-25-2017, 04:35 AM
I find it interesting that submissions cannot have been on a community writing website - their example being Wattpad - when they sponsored a contest on Wattpad requiring contestants to publish their full manuscripts for all to see only two years ago.

Deb Kinnard
01-27-2017, 04:38 AM
Maybe they got too much push-back from that concept? I mean, Wattpad is open to all, and some writers may not have been comfortable with the entire community, plus Carina, seeing the entire story.

Anna204
01-27-2017, 05:21 AM
I find it interesting because the winner was published with Carina.

chompers
01-28-2017, 02:57 PM
I find it interesting because the winner was published with Carina.
Well, the contest was run by Carina, so that was the prize, to be published by Carina, right? But the non-winners are kind of screwed then, are they not? Their whole book is published on Wattpad now. It would be a hard sell anywhere else if they didn't get picked up by Carina. That probably deterred a lot of people from participating.

JustWonderin
01-28-2017, 06:03 PM
From my experience most publishers don't care if a story is posted on Wattpad. If you're popular its appealing and if you're not just take the story down and don't mention it was up. My novel is traditionally published after being on Wattpad in its entirety and I think of all the publishers we submitted to only one said they wouldn't take it because it was on Wattpad.

Also, you can submit to Sourcebooks through Wattpad.

Anna204
01-28-2017, 07:41 PM
From my experience most publishers don't care if a story is posted on Wattpad. If you're popular its appealing and if you're not just take the story down and don't mention it was up. My novel is traditionally published after being on Wattpad in its entirety and I think of all the publishers we submitted to only one said they wouldn't take it because it was on Wattpad.

Also, you can submit to Sourcebooks through Wattpad.

I totally agree with you. I've never run into a publisher/agent who has had an issue with Wattpad.

I find it a bit bizarre that Carina is specifically excluding works on Wattpad when they forced contestants only two years ago to post full length novels there as part of their (Harlequin) contest. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'd love to know why Wattpad is suddenly an exclusion. And I have asked with no response.

Filigree
01-29-2017, 02:17 AM
Some of the Big Five SFF imprints won't take work published on Wattpad, at least up to 2015 when I last checked.

Angela James
02-07-2017, 11:19 PM
That squares with my experience with Harlequin as a whole. I was approached via a cold e-mail by one of their editors that she really liked my voice. Although they couldn't use a time-travel romance (the sample she'd seen was that story), would I please send her something else?

I did. Three months later I got one of those meaningless Rs. I doubt if the editor who requested my stuff ever actually saw it. Of course she might've. But this is par for the course with them unless you're already a known quantity.

When you submit to Carina, every submission is seen by an editor. A form rejection is no indication that an editor or agent didn't look at your work, only that when responding to many submissions, it's the most efficient. I know the most desirable for authors hoping for feedback, but we do offer other opportunities at Carina Press to receive feedback, since we're not able to offer it as a standard part of our process.

Angela James
02-07-2017, 11:20 PM
I find it interesting that submissions cannot have been on a community writing website - their example being Wattpad - when they sponsored a contest on Wattpad requiring contestants to publish their full manuscripts for all to see only two years ago.

It's generally only on the proposal opportunity, or occasionally some other special opportunity, that we preclude Wattpad entries. Otherwise, we do welcome submissions of work available on Wattpad.

Angela James
02-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Well, the contest was run by Carina, so that was the prize, to be published by Carina, right? But the non-winners are kind of screwed then, are they not? Their whole book is published on Wattpad now. It would be a hard sell anywhere else if they didn't get picked up by Carina. That probably deterred a lot of people from participating.

The contest, So You Think You Can Write, is actually a Harlequin contest. Carina was only one of the imprints that participated and it was our first year doing so. It was just good luck for us, that we ended up having the winning entry. It's an excellent book.

It was also the first year that Harlequin did the contest in partnership with Wattpad. Previous years, it had been held on Harlequin's own site.

Angela James
02-07-2017, 11:28 PM
I totally agree with you. I've never run into a publisher/agent who has had an issue with Wattpad.

I find it a bit bizarre that Carina is specifically excluding works on Wattpad when they forced contestants only two years ago to post full length novels there as part of their (Harlequin) contest. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'd love to know why Wattpad is suddenly an exclusion. And I have asked with no response.

I'm sorry if you asked somewhere and didn't get a response. We try to answer all queries that come our way. As I noted above, the Wattpad exclusion is only for the particular proposal opportunity, it's not a blanket statement about not being open to things that are currently available on Wattpad. We have open calls for anthologies and general submissions that don't have the same restrictions.

Angela James
02-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Let me know if there are other questions I can answer.

I actually came to post a link to our new editorial update newsletter. It's a monthly short newsletter we're doing so authors can stay up-to-date on submissions calls, contests, opportunities, freelance editor/copy writer hiring and things of that nature. The first one goes out this Thursday and we'll be sending them out on a monthly basis with the newest updates.

http://eepurl.com/cz9qg5

Anna204
02-08-2017, 04:08 AM
I'm sorry if you asked somewhere and didn't get a response. We try to answer all queries that come our way. As I noted above, the Wattpad exclusion is only for the particular proposal opportunity, it's not a blanket statement about not being open to things that are currently available on Wattpad. We have open calls for anthologies and general submissions that don't have the same restrictions.

I appreciate the answer and am happy to know that being on Wattpad isn't a blanket exclusion.

Old Hack
02-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Someone I know is interested in submitting to Carina and has asked me some questions about them, but I couldn't answer. So I am hoping that all you good people can provide a few answers, if that's ok. This is what they wanted to know:

At what point does Carina publish a print edition of a book? Or an audiobook? Is publication in these formats dependent on sales of the digital edition, or is there another trigger?

How likely is a book to move from digital to print and audio? What percentage of their books make this transition?

What sales numbers are common for Carina?

Is there a preferred word-count?

How long do they usually take from signing to publication?

What royalties do they usually offer?

Many thanks for your help.

Deb Kinnard
02-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Angela, thanks for replying. My sub was not requested by Carina nor sent to them; it was Harlequin's main line. Can't remember the editor's name, because of course it went nowhere.

Angela James
02-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Someone I know is interested in submitting to Carina and has asked me some questions about them, but I couldn't answer. So I am hoping that all you good people can provide a few answers, if that's ok. This is what they wanted to know:

At what point does Carina publish a print edition of a book? Or an audiobook? Is publication in these formats dependent on sales of the digital edition, or is there another trigger?

How likely is a book to move from digital to print and audio? What percentage of their books make this transition?

What sales numbers are common for Carina?

Is there a preferred word-count?

How long do they usually take from signing to publication?

What royalties do they usually offer?

Many thanks for your help.

Carina has several different print opportunities and most of them are *not* triggered by sales. We do short run print (SRP) for sale on .coms, for around 2-4 titles per month based on genre & author platform. DTC is Harlequin's subscription service and our titles that fall into suspense, paranormal and some contemporary get shipped to subscribers and also put up for sale on .coms. Last, we do some retail (brick & mortar) print, which is based most on author platform.

Audio is based again on genre and author platform. For both audio and print, we do mostly simpub, which is why I say it's not based on sales, because we're usually doing it all at the same time. There's a new reversion clause in the contract that allows for reversion of audio 3 months after on-sale if rights aren't used.

Sales numbers vary across author and genre. We have definitely had some titles that have tanked. Pretty sure we're not alone in that across the industry but I'm guessing most places would prefer not to acknowledge it ;) On the other hand we've had NYT bestsellers and everything in between.

No preferred word count. We're now accepting erotic short stories from 10-17k. Novellas from 20k to 45k. And everything above that. For print, 75k would be the target word count.

Signing to publication depends almost entirely on each individual author because we put together a plan for each author, based on their ability to deliver not just book one but subsequent manuscripts, so we can build a reader base and use momentum. That means we can publish something 5-6 months from signing (building in time for edits, copy edits, proofreading, production and retail uploading) or it might be 12 months from signing. But the author is always involved in timing/scheduling and we've re-arranged at author's request more than once.

Digital royalties are 40% NDR on 3rd part sales, 50% NDR on sales on our website.
Audio royalties are 25% NDR on digital, 8% on physical
Print is 8% for mmpb

And you didn't ask, but every author gets a baseline of marketing and PR support, including NetGalley, outreach, inclusion in advertisement, etc.

emberleigh
02-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Signing to publication depends almost entirely on each individual author because we put together a plan for each author, based on their ability to deliver not just book one but subsequent manuscripts, so we can build a reader base and use momentum. That means we can publish something 5-6 months from signing (building in time for edits, copy edits, proofreading, production and retail uploading) or it might be 12 months from signing. But the author is always involved in timing/scheduling and we've re-arranged at author's request more than once.

Speaking of signing...which I would LOVE to do with Carina someday...I was just curious to know if submission response times tend to take much longer than 3 months? I subbed back in November and wrote in once the 90 days had passed (which was about 2 weeks ago). I got a very prompt response from an editorial member saying my submission was still being reviewed and I'd be contacted as soon as they had a response for me. Other than being incredibly antsy and hopeful, I just wondered if there was an additional amount of time I could expect to wait; some sort of upper limit where I should maybe check in again?

And, as an aside: I've found the sub process to be a joy with Submittable!

Thanks in advance,
Ember Leigh

Angela James
03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
It really shouldn't take more than 3 months but sometimes a submission does get misplaced in the queue. I've sent along your name and asked them to investigate and get back to you!

emberleigh
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM
It really shouldn't take more than 3 months but sometimes a submission does get misplaced in the queue. I've sent along your name and asked them to investigate and get back to you!

Wow! Thank you so much! Very much looking forward to the final word on this submission :)

Edit: My most recent submission (in February) was responded to very quickly. But the one I submitted in November is still showing as in-progress. Ack! Back to waiting...

Rebecca Cohen
06-25-2017, 11:30 PM
Has anyone asked a query via the submissions email? The info says 72 hours for a reply, but it's been longer than that and I'm wondering if I should wait it out a little longer or if I should send another email.

Rebecca Cohen
06-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Has anyone asked a query via the submissions email? The info says 72 hours for a reply, but it's been longer than that and I'm wondering if I should wait it out a little longer or if I should send another email.

Just to say feedback received so all resolved.

CLMustafic
08-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Has anyone here ever sent in something when Carina asked for proposals? I sent in a proposal for their Paranormal call back in May and it's been just over the time limit but I thought since it wasn't a whole MS that they'd get back sooner rather than later. Of course, I have no idea how their process works, so I'm probably wrong. I'm just hesitant to nudge them because I don't want to look like I'm impatient and bugging them.

Also if they accept the proposal, what are the odds they'll reject the book once it's submitted? Anyone have that happen?

JustWonderin
08-09-2017, 04:01 PM
I did a different call for proposals. I sent in 3 chapters and a 5 page synopsis and got a full request. About a month after I sent in my full I got a form rejection. But they usually take much much much longer to get to submissions.

CLMustafic
08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I did a different call for proposals. I sent in 3 chapters and a 5 page synopsis and got a full request. About a month after I sent in my full I got a form rejection. But they usually take much much much longer to get to submissions.

Well, that sucks. I guess, I'd just like to know if they have any interest at all and if not, I'll go about submitting it to other publishers who don't do simultaneous submissions which is why I haven't sent it anywhere else yet.

Thanks for the reply.

Pisco Sour
08-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Has anyone here ever sent in something when Carina asked for proposals? I sent in a proposal for their Paranormal call back in May and it's been just over the time limit but I thought since it wasn't a whole MS that they'd get back sooner rather than later. Of course, I have no idea how their process works, so I'm probably wrong. I'm just hesitant to nudge them because I don't want to look like I'm impatient and bugging them.

Also if they accept the proposal, what are the odds they'll reject the book once it's submitted? Anyone have that happen?

If it's gone past the time they stated they'd respond to the proposal submissions I would get in touch. I write for Carina and can attest to the fact there aren't any writer-eating ogres over there. Joking aside, I don't believe they'll blacklist you for a polite enquiry. Could be your submission got lost. These things do happen. HTH

Marlys
08-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Well, that sucks. I guess, I'd just like to know if they have any interest at all and if not, I'll go about submitting it to other publishers who don't do simultaneous submissions which is why I haven't sent it anywhere else yet.

Thanks for the reply.

They say you can contact them after the usual 12 weeks response time is up. From their submission guidelines (https://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/):
Please allow 12 weeks for an editorial response to your submission. If a response has not been received after 12 weeks, please follow up via your Submittable account at https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit by adding a note to your submission log.

CLMustafic
08-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Thank you, Pisco Sour and Marlys. I took your advice and sent them a polite inquiry and have already heard back from them. Just have to wait another week or so to find out if it's a yes or no. :D

Telergic
12-17-2017, 07:53 PM
This post is to note that the Carina Press (a Harlequin ebook imprint) guidelines are wildly optimistic regarding their response times. At the moment my first-ever romantic novella (an urban fantasy) is on submission there. They promise to respond in under 12 weeks to all submissions.

At 12 weeks, my novella's submission status changed to in-progress; presumably it hadn't even been looked at before then.
At 16 weeks, I queried and received an immediate professional response (yay), telling me they were behind but that I should expect a response very soon.
At 24 weeks, I queried again.
At 25 weeks, I queried through a different channel and was told once again they were "a bit" behind :tongue but my manuscript was still under consideration.
Today, I'm still waiting. But realistically, given the season, there won't be a response until mid-January at the earliest, and I can't be very optimistic, either.

All this is honestly not that outrageous given current publishing conditions; it's just something to be aware of. You might be lucky enough to get a response in 3 months; but it might be 6 or even longer. At least, unlike some publishers, they respond to queries. If anyone else has experience with Carina Press I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Marian Perera
12-17-2017, 08:25 PM
My novel has been in-progress with them for 14 weeks now, so I queried and received a response that they're running a little behind at the moment. Thanks for the news about yours. At least it won't come as too much of a surprise if I have to wait that long as well.

Marlys
12-17-2017, 10:30 PM
I've had a novella there since early August, but it didn't go 'in progress' until sometime in October (didn't check that often, so not sure of exactly when). Considered asking, but since we're now firmly into the holiday season, I thought I'd wait until January. Knowing there's a general backup reassures me that mine probably isn't lost in the system somewhere, so I can be more patient.

Sent the same novella to another press on the same day. They're supposed to respond within 3-4 months--we're a bit past 19 weeks now, so Carina isn't the only place that's maybe too optimistic about response times.

MartinaMay
12-18-2017, 04:15 AM
I've sent two MSs for their open proposal (light-hearted contemp). Both were marked in-progress by day 10 (the second marked on Friday).

Ephiny0
12-18-2017, 11:18 PM
My novel has been with them for 5 months now, so I agree the 3 month thing is a bit optimistic. I did query after 4 months, and got a prompt reply apologising for the delay and confirming that my manuscript was with an editor, so I'm not worried.

Let's all hope for some good news in the new year :).

lottiewrites
12-20-2017, 01:25 AM
My novel has been with them for 5 months now, so I agree the 3 month thing is a bit optimistic. I did query after 4 months, and got a prompt reply apologising for the delay and confirming that my manuscript was with an editor, so I'm not worried.

Let's all hope for some good news in the new year :).

Mine is also at the 5 month mark. Guess they're pretty busy!

Ephiny0
01-04-2018, 11:46 PM
Well, it turned out to be a form rejection just short of 6 months. Sigh. I know editors are busy and form letters are normal, but hoped there might be a very slightly more personal response after they held it so long (and I given that I did get some kind feedback on my previous submission to them).

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

kssmith626
01-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Just got my form rejection. Took 2 months, but maybe that's because I subbed to a specific editor? I got a positive email from another publisher right before this rejection, so it didn't bruise quite so badly as it could have.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Telergic
01-14-2018, 11:12 PM
Still waiting at 30 weeks out of 12.... Totally agree, @Ephiny0, if they are going to run 3 months late, they really should at least provide a bit of personal feedback plus an apology for the delay. And they should also update the website to remove the overly optimistic language about how long to expect.

MartinaMay
01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
One of my MSs with Carina received a form R (this was a proposal with the first 4 chapters). I received the R 6 weeks after subbing. I'm still waiting on the other MS (which was a full). If it follows the same pattern, I'll hear this week or next (6 weeks from sub).

I think it's a good thing that some of you are waiting longer. To me, it means they're excited about the MS.

WriterInChains
01-21-2018, 06:36 AM
I just checked to be sure the turnaround time on their website is still 12 weeks and saw this: If you donít include your phone number, it makes it impossible for us to make The Call!

For those of you published with Carina, did they call you? I'm two days away from 12 weeks and have a couple of unknown numbers on my phone (I usually don't answer unknown numbers because 99% of the time they turn out to be bots). Since another publisher showed some interest (but not enough to offer a contract) I'm thinking this story might have a shot (and am getting a little antsy :)).

NineLimes
01-21-2018, 07:34 AM
This was a few years back, but yes, Carina called me. An editor there had my ms from a contest, and then I signed with an agent. As soon as she told me they wanted to make me an offer, I told them I had an agent (so they could call her) but getting that call was very exciting and a definite highlight of my career.

WriterInChains
01-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Thanks, NineLimes! Hopefully if they did call, they'll try again or email me. *fingers crossed*

lottiewrites
01-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Mines sitting at 6.5 months now. Starting to wonder if it's been misplaced...

Telergic
01-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Entering week 32. They respond fairly promptly to queries. It's just that the response is "we're running a bit late", which was funny back in week 16....

At least with submittable you can be fairly certain the ms wasn't misplaced.

WriterInChains
02-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Entering week 32. They respond fairly promptly to queries. It's just that the response is "we're running a bit late", which was funny back in week 16....

At least with submittable you can be fairly certain the ms wasn't misplaced.

Looks like they're farther behind now. Twelve days ago I sent a gentle nudge and so far, crickets... *shrugs*

Pisco Sour
02-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Looks like they're farther behind now. Twelve days ago I sent a gentle nudge and so far, crickets... *shrugs*

We've had notification on the author loop that they've just hired four (could be five, I forget!) new editors. Fingers crossed they'll be able to deal with the backlog now.

Anna204
02-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Some of the Big Five SFF imprints won't take work published on Wattpad, at least up to 2015 when I last checked.

This has definitely changed. Several Wattpad books have been published by the Big 5.

Angela James
02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone, I've just read through the past few weeks of posts and I'm very sorry for the extended wait that some of you have experienced since last fall. Everything that was submitted prior to the new year did get read by our first round readers, but has been in queue for a read by an acquiring editor. We just hired six new freelance editors who are all reading submissions very quickly and I anticipate that we'll have responses going out to everything submitted through 2017 by end of month. If you don't receive a response by end of month, and you submitted in 2017, please email us at the submissions@carinapress.com email address. If you are worried right now that your submission was overlooked, send an email and I'll ask our team to get back to you. With the new editors, our submissions response time will return to the 12 weeks we've previously posted. We are all very relieved!

Telergic
02-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Form rejection after 34 weeks. No animus, but I doubt I'll submit anything here again.

Marian Perera
02-08-2018, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone, I've just read through the past few weeks of posts and I'm very sorry for the extended wait that some of you have experienced since last fall. Everything that was submitted prior to the new year did get read by our first round readers, but has been in queue for a read by an acquiring editor. We just hired six new freelance editors who are all reading submissions very quickly and I anticipate that we'll have responses going out to everything submitted through 2017 by end of month.

Thank you for the update! Good to hear that the response times will shorten.

Aggy B.
02-08-2018, 04:27 PM
This has definitely changed. Several Wattpad books have been published by the Big 5.

When it comes to first rights the Big 5 make exceptions for work that is extremely popular. That's pretty much it. Assuming that because someone who has a breakout book on Wattpad gets a Big 5 deal means that anyone on Wattpad can do the same is fallacious. (And maybe that's not what you're trying to say, but I see it a lot. Folks always want to talk about EL James or Hugh Howey or Andy Weir as proof that publishers don't care about first rights, and ignore the fact that those books were insanely popular/selling like crazy before they were picked up by the big guys.)

There are always exceptions to first publication requirements. They always have to do with being a hot property and not ambiguity on the part of the publisher as to whether or not they'll take something that's already been published.

amergina
02-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Just FYI, I have a book coming out in April with Carina, and so far, I've been very pleased with the whole process. Everyone has been pleasant to work with and responsive, and my editor has been top-notch. I'm curious to see what sales are like, of course, but so far, so good.

I do have an agent, so my submission path was different.

captkirk12
02-15-2018, 08:46 PM
I resubmitted a R&R to a specific editor last year. I nudged via email once I passed the 12-week mark, received no response. I thought maybe emailing directly was frowned upon so I added a note to Submittable, no response so far and I definitely don't plan on pestering again.

I'm wondering if since most 2017 submissions are due to receive responses by the end of February anyway, maybe inquiries on those subs aren't being replied to at all?

captkirk12
02-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Scratch that - received my rejection today. 13 weeks total on a 73k R&R. No feedback other than to say the revisions were fine but it wasn't a good fit for them.

So to anyone considering a R&R - think very carefully about it. I don't regret doing the work because I think the manuscript came out better in the end, but it's a great deal of effort and a long wait to revise according to what an editor wants at that moment in time. And there's absolutely no guarantee of any feedback or acceptance.

I will commend the editor - she was very professional and her initial suggestions for improving the manuscript were spot on. She seemed like she'd be great to work with. (Probably why this stings a little.)

Good luck to anyone else waiting on a submission. I hope you have a better outcome.

Marian Perera
02-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Form rejection after 22 weeks.

JulesJones
04-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Some tracking data - two days ago (28 April) I put in a novel partial for the submit on proposal call, directed to a specific editor. This morning the Submittable status has changed to "in progress", so it looks as if they are starting to work through the proposal submissions, even if it's just to have a quick look at what's come in.

Anna204
05-01-2018, 02:24 AM
When it comes to first rights the Big 5 make exceptions for work that is extremely popular. That's pretty much it. Assuming that because someone who has a breakout book on Wattpad gets a Big 5 deal means that anyone on Wattpad can do the same is fallacious. (And maybe that's not what you're trying to say, but I see it a lot. Folks always want to talk about EL James or Hugh Howey or Andy Weir as proof that publishers don't care about first rights, and ignore the fact that those books were insanely popular/selling like crazy before they were picked up by the big guys.)

There are always exceptions to first publication requirements. They always have to do with being a hot property and not ambiguity on the part of the publisher as to whether or not they'll take something that's already been published.

You're right, that's not what I was trying to say. My point was that some Wattpad works get published by Big 5. With regard to first rights, whether an author has them or not, getting a Big 5 publishing contract is pretty difficult. Almost impossible. So whether perceived first rights are gone or not, it's an uphill climb.

JulesJones
06-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Form rejection last night on the partial I submitted on 28 April, so six week turnaround. Even assuming they rejected immediately on reading the query letter and thus it was the fastest possible response, that's doing a lot better on response time than early this year before they hired more editors. Looks as if they're back to hitting the 12 weeks target for letting people know yes/no/maybe.

Annemarie2521
08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Has anyone any updated stats on what to expect time frame wise? I submitted a full and hit the 12 week mark 2weeks ago, switched to in-progress...but from reading this thread am I right in thinking it could be another 6-12 weeks?

I can wait... Patiently...

*Refreshes screen constantly* ��

SarahJane
08-16-2018, 07:19 PM
I'm in the same boat. Submittable switched to In Progress just days before the 12 week mark. That was a month ago, and still no word. But I'm hoping that means it made it through the initial read and has moved on to the next.

CEDeRosier
08-17-2018, 01:13 AM
Just a question, are you submitting to a specific editor or just in general on Submittable? I'm curious if that has anything to do with the time frame differences after they hired the new editors.

SarahJane
08-17-2018, 01:18 AM
I didn't address my submission to any editor in particular.

SarahJane
08-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Poop. Rejection after 4 months, 3 days. :(

A.P.M.
11-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Looks like long wait times on submissions are the norm?

Also, anyone here have any experience with M/M Fantasy romance with Carina? I look at their lists and don't see a ton of it, but most of what is there has good numbers of reviews and presumably sales. I'm looking to publish a new series (book 1 is done, and I've written up the whole submission/series outline package) and I'm having a heck of time deciding between another press or Carina. Waiting four months doesn't sound too fun, though.

cool pop
11-13-2018, 12:16 AM
Now that you mention it, never heard much of M/M at Carina so I can't be sure but if you don't see much of it then that you'd probably be wasting your time. Either they don't want it or don't acquire much of it. Ever thought of self-publishing? That's where many of the M/M romance authors are going and thriving as well. Other than some of the M/M small presses that closed, I can't think of any that's dealing primarily with M/M.

Disclaimer, I don't write M/M but know a lot of people who do. Haven't ever heard anyone mentioning Carina as a viable place for M/M. I assume maybe it's because their audience is similar to the Harlequin crowd from the books I've seen pushed.

Jeneral
11-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Carina publishes M/M, and if you look at their most recent blog post of what their editors are specifically looking for, you'll see lots of interest along those lines. I don't know how much M/M fantasy romance they do, but at least one editor is looking for it as of Fall 2018.

veinglory
11-13-2018, 12:58 AM
I have seen M/M there and would consider it well worth a try.

amergina
11-13-2018, 02:44 AM
Carina publishes M/M, quite a lot of it, and has for some time. They *are* more well known for contemporary romance, but that's across the board, not just m/m. I'm sure they'll take a fantasy m/m if it's what they want.

Disclaimer: I'm an author with two m/m romances out with Carina, and an m/f with a tran guy romance coming out next year. But hey, what do I know about publishing with Carina?

ETA, because I'm annoyed, I'm just gonna point out that 4 of their 6 coming soon titles are m/m. But hey, I guess they don't publish much of that.

And hey, Annabeth Albert's m/m holiday romance came out with Carina today and it's currently #44 in Gay Romance on Amazon, but I guess Carina isn't a viable place for m/m, right? Ho hum.

Zombie Fraggle
11-29-2018, 01:24 AM
New Harlequin imprint that is LGBTQ+ driven contemporary romance in focus, and(!!) you can sub agented or unagented proposals.

Boldface in quote is mine. To clarify, according to the official information on the Carina blog and elsewhere, that should be trope-driven.

BarbaraSheridan
01-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Did anyone sub to the recent open proposal call (ended 12/3/18)? I'm wondering if anyone has gone past the "In-progress" stage on Submittable.

ccbridges
01-06-2019, 04:36 AM
I submitted, but I'm not expecting to hear anything before next month. Still listed "in-progress." Their standard response time is about 12 weeks (based on all the rejections I have from this publisher ;)

Did anyone sub to the recent open proposal call (ended 12/3/18)? I'm wondering if anyone has gone past the "In-progress" stage on Submittable.

Sarah M
01-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Hi. I submitted my manuscript to them at the end of October and haven't heard back yet. This is my first time submitting to an Indie publisher after years of trying to get a literary agent. I know they said it could take up to 12 weeks to hear back from them, but I was just wondering if it's a bad sign the longer it takes?

EMaree
01-07-2019, 10:11 PM
I was just wondering if it's a bad sign the longer it takes?

Nah, it's not a bad sign -- it takes the time it takes, don't take slow responses as any reflection on your work. Chances are they haven't even looked at your manuscript yet. They might just be overwhelmed.

You're submitting to multiple publishers though, right Beth? Don't hang on for one publisher, you can sub to many at a time.

Sarah M
01-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Nah, it's not a bad sign -- it takes the time it takes, don't take slow responses as any reflection on your work. Chances are they haven't even looked at your manuscript yet. They might just be overwhelmed.

You're submitting to multiple publishers though, right Beth? Don't hang on for one publisher, you can sub to many at a time.

Okay, thanks. :)

And no, I haven't submitted to any other publishers yet. Life has been a bit crazy for me, but I've been doing research on other publishers.

Sarah M
01-15-2019, 02:31 AM
Well, after about 10 weeks I received my rejection a little bit ago. :/

triceretops
01-15-2019, 02:47 AM
Sorry Sarah. Give it the ole revenge query. I'm a new sub to them so I have a spell to wait.

Sarah M
01-15-2019, 04:55 AM
Good luck. :)

Mekp88
03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Has anyone heard back on their proposal? I submitted mines 12/3, it’s now 3 months and a week and no word. I reached out 10 days ago and I was told I will get a response shortly. That was almost 2 weeks ago. I’m not understanding what’s taking so long since it’s just a partial not a full but I don’t want to push it by sending a second email.

Is this a sign that my submission has been lost?

triceretops
03-15-2019, 05:06 AM
I subbed to them on 1-5 and got a rejection on 2-15

Mekp88, that could be. But I think they would have told you so and instructed you to re-submit. This was a Submitable form for me.

Annemarie2521
03-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Mekp88 I doubt it is lost, they seem to take a long time... Mine is a r&r which I submitted in November, checked in on the progress and got a form email saying similar to yours. My first submission took months as well... I'm assuming they are backed up, the waits a pain but guess that's all part of the process for these things! Good luck to you, hopefully you get good news from them soon! (I'd check in once a month until you hear;) )

Mekp88
03-17-2019, 02:07 AM
Thank you both. This is my first time on sub, so Iím just getting used to the wait. I just assumed it would be shorter since itís just 3 chapters but I can wait. Thanks Annemarie2521, hope you get good news on your R&R!

IdrisG
03-18-2019, 04:52 AM
I pitched to them during the #CarinaPitch event in February and got a partial request after 3 minutes. I subbed my partial on March 4th that turned into a full request on March 14th. I figure it depends on which editor you get.

Davin
04-13-2019, 04:57 AM
I submitted on 1/28. Got a form rejection on 3/22.

lottiewrites
04-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Has anyone ever had any actual feedback with a rejection, or just form reject?

Sonya Heaney
04-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Has anyone ever had any actual feedback with a rejection, or just form reject?

I write for a Harlequin imprint (I've never submitted to Carina), but I have never heard of anyone getting feedback with a Carina rejection. As an imprint of Harlequin, they're always hugely overrun with submissions, and would struggle to find the time to respond.

If you're not a member of the "Harlequin Writing Community" group on Facebook, I would recommend joining. There's a lot of discussion about Carina - and Carina pitch calls - over there.

ccbridges
04-22-2019, 04:12 PM
I did receive feedback for my proposal that was a response to a #carinapitch request. This was the whole reason I participated in the event, for that valuable feedback.

Sonya Heaney
04-23-2019, 12:50 AM
I did receive feedback for my proposal that was a response to a #carinapitch request. This was the whole reason I participated in the event, for that valuable feedback.

Interesting. Was it a recent pitch? In this current pitch request it looks like people who got a request for the full manuscript are getting a little feedback, but otherwise they're getting nothing.

ccbridges
04-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Yep. It was for this event: https://www.carinapress.com/blog/2019/01/carinapitch-is-back-for-2019-open-to-proposals-and-now-also-on-facebook/ And I got a couple of paragraphs of feedback for a pass.

Angela James
04-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Hi all, I'm dropping in to help clear up some of the questions that have come through on this forum the past few months.

Our response time we shoot for is within 3 months, but that varies by manuscript, by editor, and by what other projects we have happening at any given time. We try not to make authors wait an eternity, because we know that's no fun, and we've put some processes in place to expedite as much as possible, but some things will take longer than we want them to.

We don't generally offer personal feedback on rejections. We know that would be helpful, but going back to response time, adding in writing feedback takes a significant amount of time, and we don't have that time to give, sadly. About 1% of our multiple thousands of submissions do receive feedback, but otherwise, this is why we offer the annual #carinapitch opportunity, as a time when we do give several hundred authors feedback. This year over 200 authors received feedback from us during this opportunity.

Last, next month we have an open proposal call coming (when we accept submissions on proposal, full manuscript not required). It's not specifically a witch-theme event, it's open to all genres that we publish. It's true, I did tweet out a #MSWL and #CarinaWants request for witches and PNR mystery last month, and I am looking for that, but the event isn't exclusive to that.

As a reminder, if you have specific questions about Carina Press, we do respond to queries on Twitter. We also have a Harlequin Facebook Writing group that is specifically geared toward people interested in writing for Harlequin and for getting answers, more information from editors, and touching base with fellow authors also on submission with Harlequin.

Last, we have a dedicated newsletter that lists all of our Carina Press submission opportunities, advice from editors and behind the scenes info. It's a monthly newsletter. Signup can be found on our website bit.ly/write4cp

Hope this helps clear up any confusion! If there are any lingering questions, you can ask here, Twitter, the Harlequin FB group, or even email us directly (email is on our website).

lottiewrites
04-24-2019, 06:27 AM
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback Angela, much appreciated. :)
(thanks Sonya & CC, too)

astarte73
05-30-2019, 01:23 AM
Just feeling unreasonably antsy today so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask this! I participated in the CarinaPitch event in Feb and had a few requests. I sent in the full 3/4 and received feedback 4/15 that the editor I ended up sending to liked it a lot and was going to continue reading the full, which is exciting! However, do you know if the 12 week turnaround is from the initial submission (almost 12 weeks, ha!) or from the second letter with the feedback (not nearly 12 weeks, sigh)? Like everyone else, I don't want to be too annoying with a nudge!

Earthling
05-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Just feeling unreasonably antsy today so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask this! I participated in the CarinaPitch event in Feb and had a few requests. I sent in the full 3/4 and received feedback 4/15 that the editor I ended up sending to liked it a lot and was going to continue reading the full, which is exciting! However, do you know if the 12 week turnaround is from the initial submission (almost 12 weeks, ha!) or from the second letter with the feedback (not nearly 12 weeks, sigh)? Like everyone else, I don't want to be too annoying with a nudge!

I would nudge 12 weeks after you sent the full. Actually, I usually add a fortnight or so onto those nudge timeframes, so I would wait 14. But the Carina team seem lovely so I wouldn't stress too much about annoying them, as long as you're professional!

astarte73
05-31-2019, 12:51 AM
Very appreciated Earthling! I can definitely hold on a little longer, haha!

Sonya Heaney
05-31-2019, 04:28 AM

I don't know, but I would guess that the twelve weeks is after the second submission. (edit: Mind you, I could be completely wrong about that!)

I always assume the timeframes given are just guidelines, because things always take longer than you expect in publishing - except when they don't, and then it happens crazy-fast. :D The only time I nudged a publisher around the three-month mark was when I had another offer, but wanted to go with the publisher who was taking longer to get back to me (and they were perfectly fine with me doing that).

I'm sure nobody would mind if you asked a polite question in a couple of weeks.

astarte73
06-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately for my nerves, I believe you're right. (I didn't submit anything twice though--I was just told that they would be reading the entire original submission rather than the first few chapters alone.) I actually chatted with the editor on DMs about something else entirely and they brought up that they thought I'd hear back by the end of May re: if it would go to acquisitions. I didn't want to intrude on a private DM to ask for any further response because that is weird and creepy.

I queried three different books over two years before landing my agent and am not a nudger by nature. She sent this project out to a number of houses from her end, but this one I handled on my own because it was from a pitch event and the way the link worked, it was easier for me to do. It was clear in my sub package that I have an agent, but the correspondence so far has been through me, so I am unsure if asking her to be the nudger is the right protocol?

I think part of my anxiety stems from being at a loss for which project to spend my time writing next. I have the opening four or five chapters for two books--a sequel to this which I am DYING to write, but hesitant to waste me time if no one bites on this one, and another which isn't quite as fun. Don't get me wrong, I love the second project but my heart would rather write the sequel first. I know in most instances it is foolish to write a sequel for an unsold first book, but I also know from watching my CPs race to deliver romance sequels that romance is a different beast and sequels are more of an expectation.

Sorry--I am totally babbling and just so damned anxious, and looking for some no-nonsense direction, haha.

ULTRAGOTHA
07-17-2019, 03:07 AM
Courtney Milan posted this on Twitter today:

Since I haven’t seen this posted anywhere and a lot of people are wondering what happened, here is the Harlequin reorganizational news, which, to sum up, is that Angela James is leaving Carina this Friday. (https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1151252504337764352)

Sonya Heaney
07-17-2019, 04:18 AM
Courtney Milan posted this on Twitter today:

Honestly, I probably should have seen this coming. Harlequin Australia just had a major shakeup, and moved their Carina-like digital-first line fully under the Harlequin umbrella. It looks like Harlequin US is doing exactly the same thing.

It's shocking to see Angela James (who MADE Carina) go, but it looks like the same thing that happened here over the past year.

Sonya Heaney
07-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Angela James has made a brief statement. (https://twitter.com/angelajames/status/1151489840694931458) She really had no idea it was coming, it seems. :(

Earthling
07-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Poor Angela. :(

What has the shakeup looked like in Harlequin Oz? I'm out of the loop and trying to picture what might happen to Carina.

Sonya Heaney
07-17-2019, 09:58 PM
What has the shakeup looked like in Harlequin Oz? I'm out of the loop and trying to picture what might happen to Carina.

The director of Harlequin Australia's digital-first imprint left last year, and when no replacement was appointed - and then the imprint's website disappeared - people were pretty sure it would fold. However, now Harlequin Australia has taken over the line fully, and the same editors and publishers for HQ and Mira are dealing with the digital-first authors.

amergina
07-17-2019, 11:56 PM
I don't want to paste the whole thing in, but the relevant bits for Carina from the reorg letter authors and agents got are this:

The series editorial team will be led by Dianne Moggy, VP Editorial. Dianne will be responsible for all Global Series and Carina Press Editorial programs, as well as the Author Engagement and Communications team. Dianneís senior editorial team will be Glenda Howard, Sr. Executive Editor NY; Bryony Green, Executive Editor UK; Kathleen Scheibling, Executive Editor Toronto; Kerri Buckley, Sr. Editor Carina Press; and Malle Vallik, Editorial Director Author Engagement.

The Harlequin Brand Group will aggressively build the Harlequin and Carina Press brands and grow sales through new programs like Harlequin Studios, the Feel Good Project and other New Business Development opportunities.

As a result of this organizational realignment, Joanne Grant, Editorial Director Series and Angela James, Editorial Director Carina Press will be leaving Harlequin on July 19. We thank Jo and Angela for their many contributions and wish them all the best their future endeavors.

Kerri Buckley worked closely with Angela, so at least there is someone there who knows the direction she'd planned. Kerri (and Stephanie, the other full-time editor there) have always been excellent to work with. That said, I'm a Carina author and yes, very apprehensive about this reorg because I have no idea what the people above Carina mean by "aggressively build" the Carina brand.

Sonya Heaney
07-18-2019, 12:29 AM
The Harlequin Brand Group will aggressively build the Harlequin and Carina Press brands and grow sales through new programs like Harlequin Studios, the Feel Good Project and other New Business Development opportunities.

I thought about you when the announcement was made.

There's zero mention of all of this in the HQ groups on Facebook, but they're pushing the "Feel Good" project and all of that. Honestly, I have NO clue what any of it's about. Seems to have very little to do with books and a lot to do with.... some event with an actress from The Young and the Restless (https://soaps.sheknows.com/message-boards/t/melody-thomas-scott-hosting-harlequin-feel-good-day/728611)Ö? I have no idea. None of it sounds very Carina-ish.

Sheryl Nantus
07-18-2019, 04:50 AM
This is awful. That Angela James was let go without a hint of warning, literally HOURS before going to RWA and having to represent Carina at the HQN events...

To say it's disrespectful would be an understatement. After all the hard work she's done to build Carina...

*shakes head*

I am not impressed with HQN/Carina right now. Not that they care, but I'm not happy at all.

cool pop
07-18-2019, 09:29 AM
In FB groups, some are speculating that maybe this has something to do with that big controversy concerning the authors who write under the name "Alexa Riley" who got kicked off Amazon for breaking the TOS and maybe this is Harlequin saving face. For those who don't know Alexa Riley is a self-published pen name and was the biggest romance author on Amazon, making number ONE many times on Amazon charts. Supposedly Angela was an editor for the pen name. I don't know what's going on and not saying this is what happened but folks who are paying way more attention to the Alexa Riley scandal than I care to are saying this in the writing groups.

Filigree
07-19-2019, 02:40 AM
They did it while she was dealing with a family emergency, too.

Carina interested me. Not now.

Angela James
07-19-2019, 03:17 PM
In FB groups, some are speculating that maybe this has something to do with that big controversy concerning the authors who write under the name "Alexa Riley" who got kicked off Amazon for breaking the TOS and maybe this is Harlequin saving face. For those who don't know Alexa Riley is a self-published pen name and was the biggest romance author on Amazon, making number ONE many times on Amazon charts. Supposedly Angela was an editor for the pen name. I don't know what's going on and not saying this is what happened but folks who are paying way more attention to the Alexa Riley scandal than I care to are saying this in the writing groups.

Sometimes it can be a little soul sucking to watch some people dissect what's an incredibly hard, life-changing event for me and my family as if it's just a matter of curiosity, and I appreciate that so many in this thread are showing compassion and empathy. But, I have to say, this rumor is an absolute gift and it gave me what may have been my first real laugh all week, so thank you. Please, carry on!

Richard White
07-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Wishing you all the best and hope this winds up being the doorway to something better, Angela.

NineLimes
07-21-2019, 06:26 AM
I don't want to get in trouble for spreading this, but my editor said that she heard on a loop that Beyonce's hairdresser's neighbor said that Harlequin let go of Angela because the Illuminati.

(I mean, we're writers, people. Let's come up with a REALLY good theory to cheer Angela up. xoxo)

Earthling
07-22-2019, 12:36 PM
I don't want to get in trouble for spreading this, but my editor said that she heard on a loop that Beyonce's hairdresser's neighbor said that Harlequin let go of Angela because the Illuminati.

(I mean, we're writers, people. Let's come up with a REALLY good theory to cheer Angela up. xoxo)

Does anyone know where Angela was when Kennedy was shot?

I'm just saying...