PDA

View Full Version : Carina Press

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Fae Sutherland
04-09-2013, 01:52 AM
I have question for current Carina authors about the payment process. Does Carina pay by check? If so, do they have a direct deposit option?

I'm looking at the author kit right now and no, there's nothing about direct deposit. I've always gotten payments by check and I don't recall anyone every suggesting to me when I first signed that there was another option for receiving payment. Pretty sure it's just paper checks.

MumblingSage
04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm looking at the author kit right now and no, there's nothing about direct deposit. I've always gotten payments by check and I don't recall anyone every suggesting to me when I first signed that there was another option for receiving payment. Pretty sure it's just paper checks.

Okay. I mean, a check's a check. Yet most epublishers I've worked with have direct deposit options. Easier to keep everything electronic, faster too.

Fae Sutherland
04-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Okay. I mean, a check's a check. Yet most epublishers I've worked with have direct deposit options. Easier to keep everything electronic, faster too.

I'd be totally down for it if they ever decided to. I'm impatient lol.

ShannonStacey
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM

I love getting direct deposit from Samhain, but I think one big difference here is that Carina is part of the larger Harlequin umbrella and they've had an established way of paying authors for many decades. If I remember correctly, back before they launched, the payment was actually going to run on their regular schedule (twice a year) and being paid quarterly was a big win.

MumblingSage
04-12-2013, 01:30 AM
I love getting direct deposit from Samhain, but I think one big difference here is that Carina is part of the larger Harlequin umbrella and they've had an established way of paying authors for many decades. If I remember correctly, back before they launched, the payment was actually going to run on their regular schedule (twice a year) and being paid quarterly was a big win.

That's true, and I understand why a large and wildly successful publisher isn't inclined to change what works well. It also means I'll be receiving envelopes with the Harlequin logo four times a year. Win for my ego, but hopefully the family won't ask awkward questions.

Captcha
04-12-2013, 02:27 AM
That's true, and I understand why a large and wildly successful publisher isn't inclined to change what works well. It also means I'll be receiving envelopes with the Harlequin logo four times a year. Win for my ego, but hopefully the family won't ask awkward questions.

It's a big envelope, too - no idea why they couldn't fold the contents and put it in a regular letter-sized envelope, but I guess that's not The Harlequin Way?

ShannonStacey
04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I almost threw away the first one. Big, plain gray envelope with markings. I thought it was junk mail. Oops.

Fae Sutherland
04-12-2013, 04:25 PM
It's a big envelope, too - no idea why they couldn't fold the contents and put it in a regular letter-sized envelope, but I guess that's not The Harlequin Way?

It is ginormous! Barely fits in my tiny apartment building sized mailbox lol. I do love seeing the Harlequin name stamped on the return address, though. My mail-lady now knows I write romance! :)

Happy Jack
04-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Jumping in rather late here, but I came across Carina UK today. Any one know anything about them, in comparison to Carina Press?

http://www.carinauk.com/who-we-are/

Starstryder
04-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Jumping in rather late here, but I came across Carina UK today. Any one know anything about them, in comparison to Carina Press?

I submitted to them this morning, they seem legit. Being from SA it was an easy choice for me. Here's hoping though, for some reason I got sweaty fingertips when I hit the submit button. :D

Harlequin to launch digital-only Carina list. (http://www.thebookseller.com/news/harlequin-launch-digital-only-carina-list.html)

Happy Jack
04-30-2013, 07:12 PM
I submitted too, though by some magical twist of fate, I got a contract offer from Dreamspinner just a few hours later and had to withdraw.

What encouraged me to submit to them rather than Carina Press proper was their promised quick turn around time, however, after emailing a question, then an actual submission, and THEN a withdrawal, I didn't receive more than an automated response.

A week later, and still no actual reply.

In my opinion, that's not a good look for a new operation.

Happy Jack
04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Oooo, forgot to say...

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

Starstryder
05-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you :) And congrats!

Kaarl
05-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Same parent company (HQ) but looking for a wider range of genres I think would be the best description.

I'm not sure if they will sell via Carina Press or not (it seems logical) but I'll let you know when I can.

I'm with Carina UK now, so far the experience has been great but I am very new to all this.

Regina Harvey
05-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Hi Kaarl - Congrats! Can you tell a bit about how you submitted, the timeline, and the good experience you've had so far? I submitted a manuscript a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks and congrats again!

akaria
05-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Welcome to AW Regina! I subbed a piece last week to them last week and have padded my waiting bench with comfy pillows and an automatic back massager. I was thinking about a hot tub but that seemed a little over the top. ;)

Regina Harvey
05-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks, akaria! I'll have to buy some new cushions - can't have enough, I'm sure.

Kaarl
05-23-2013, 03:51 AM
Hi Kaarl - Congrats! Can you tell a bit about how you submitted, the timeline, and the good experience you've had so far? I submitted a manuscript a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks and congrats again!

Thanks Regina,

I haven't checked this thread for awhile but better late than never. I PM'd you a rundown of my experience.

In case anyone else was wondering, the basics of it were;

1) When the say they'll email/contact you within a certain time they do (or let you know before then if they can't and when they will be able to)

2)The editor I am working with seems like a genuinely nice person and wants to help me get the best out of my writing

3) They said "yes" to me

Like I posted before I am new to writing and the experience of working with a publisher but far from a stranger when it comes to business etiquette. So far with Carina UK they are doing everything right, and although number 3 is a biggie for me even had that not been the case the timely response to my query was good enough for me.

Good luck to all of you that submitted ! I'd offer to be your buddy when you get accepted but I'm going for that whole reclusive and mysterious hermit author persona. Plus my mum said I can't go visit random people off the internets anymore ><

NoblinGoblin
05-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Just submitted to Angela James' "contemporary crack" at Carina.

And now I'll wait.

Seems to be the story of my life of late. :-)

Regina Harvey
05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info, Kaarl - I haven't gotten my response yet, but I suppose I will hear either way pretty soon, though I wonder if they aren't getting swamped just now - seems they've popped up on everyone's radar.
Thanks again for the info!

Gillhoughly
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
I've dealt with them on the editorial side. They're looking for books they can fall in love with. Period.

The book has to be something the editor will go to bat for and grab other editors on the team and say, "You gotta read this!"

That's because when the book is published they want the readers to go to all their friends with the title, grab them in turn and say, "You gotta READ this!"

It all comes down to the basics. Write the kind of book that makes people do that and you'll have a sale.

Stacy
06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
After reading all the wonderful things on this thread i have finally submitted to Carina Press. The waiting game begins!
does it make sense to submit to Carina UK at the same time? considering they are in two different market? can anyone advise me?

StirtheStars
06-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Has anyone who got a request from the Carinapitch event in April not received a response? They were supposed to respond by 5/31, but I haven't heard anything and am trying to decide if I should try to follow up or just wait patiently.

gingerwoman
06-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Has anyone who got a request from the Carinapitch event in April not received a response? They were supposed to respond by 5/31, but I haven't heard anything and am trying to decide if I should try to follow up or just wait patiently.
If they gave you a definite date you should hear by and you heard nothing then there is nothing wrong with a polite nudge.

gingerwoman
06-08-2013, 04:54 AM
After reading all the wonderful things on this thread i have finally submitted to Carina Press. The waiting game begins!
does it make sense to submit to Carina UK at the same time? considering they are in two different market? can anyone advise me?
No I wouldn't do that. Publishers usually do not like you to submit to more than one branch that they own, although you are free to submit to other publishers if they don't say "no simultaneous submissions.

Regina Harvey
06-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Hey Stacy - I actually discovered Carina UK just after I'd submitted a manuscript to Carina (US). So, although they do say not to submit simultaneously to any other Harlequin division, in my cover letter to Carina UK (with my submission), I told them I'd just submitted the same to the US branch and asked if that was okay. I'm not sure how they classify the US vs UK division.

I haven't had my response beyond the automated yet, so maybe it's okay if you notify them? However, I only did it because (as I told them) the manuscript might be of particular marketing interest to the UK (was shortlisted for a Brit award), and I'd only just discovered them. So...

Stacy
06-09-2013, 01:38 AM
No I wouldn't do that. Publishers usually do not like you to submit to more than one branch that they own, although you are free to submit to other publishers if they don't say "no simultaneous submissions.

Thanks.

Stacy
06-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Hey Stacy - I actually discovered Carina UK just after I'd submitted a manuscript to Carina (US). So, although they do say not to submit simultaneously to any other Harlequin division, in my cover letter to Carina UK (with my submission), I told them I'd just submitted the same to the US branch and asked if that was okay. I'm not sure how they classify the US vs UK division.

I haven't had my response beyond the automated yet, so maybe it's okay if you notify them? However, I only did it because (as I told them) the manuscript might be of particular marketing interest to the UK (was shortlisted for a Brit award), and I'd only just discovered them. So...

OK I see. Thanks for the info. I will wait and see what Carina US says first. the best of luck with your manuscript.

Captcha
06-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I recently posted my thanks to authors in a different thread for posting their sales results for a publisher, and I realized that it was a bit hypocritical to be grateful to them without doing my own part.

So, here goes. I was really impressed with Carina's editing, their publicity machine, and everything else on their end. But for whatever reason, my sales were dismal.

Now, my sales rank on the Carina site was dismal, too, so there are clearly Carina authors doing much better than I did. And this novel was a m/f novel, one of only two I've written, and the other one didn't do well either, so maybe I'm just not meant to be a m/f writer. I don't really know.

But my sales were in the double digits. I'm sure Carina lost money on the book, and I know I feel like I wasted effort. I can't say it would have done better anywhere else - like I said, I don't have good luck with m/f, and I can't see anything that Carina did wrong with my book.

I just wanted to say that being with Carina is NOT a guarantee of a HEA with huge royalty cheques. Even well-run companies doing everything right can't guarantee a success every time.

michael_b
06-09-2013, 11:31 PM
...And this novel was a m/f novel, one of only two I've written, and the other one didn't do well either, so maybe I'm just not meant to be a m/f writer. I don't really know.

Something you will soon discover, once you put out a few m/m books if you try and do m/f they will not sell. I know a lot of m/m authors--myself among them--who have great m/m sales but those never translate into m/f sales. It's like starting over again when you jump from one style of pairing to another. The readers you picked up with the m/m books do not buy m/f though some of your m/f readers may buy your m/m titles. They are two very different readerships right now. Though this may slowly change now that the big 5.5 (Random Penguin being the 1.5 of the mix since they've merged) are slowly beginning to get on the m/m bandwagon.

This being the case, try publishing the m/f under an alternate pen name, this seems to work best because you avoid irritating your m/m readership and potential new readers won't be thinking 'oh they write m/m I don't want to read this.' And believe me, this is what happens. Many readers don't pay attention to the blurbs, they read your name and that's where they stop. (And this is why some of your m/m readership may get angry for writing "girl cooties into books." I've seen this happen in GR review comments especially on my menage books.)

Captcha
06-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Something you will soon discover, once you put out a few m/m books if you try and do m/f they will not sell. I know a lot of m/m authors--myself among them--who have great m/m sales but those never translate into m/f sales. It's like starting over again when you jump from one style of pairing to another. The readers you picked up with the m/m books do not buy m/f though some of your m/f readers may buy your m/m titles. They are two very different readerships right now. Though this may slowly change now that the big 5.5 (Random Penguin being the 1.5 of the mix since they've merged) are slowly beginning to get on the m/m bandwagon.

This being the case, try publishing the m/f under an alternate pen name, this seems to work best because you avoid irritating your m/m readership and potential new readers won't be thinking 'oh they write m/m I don't want to read this.' And believe me, this is what happens. Many readers don't pay attention to the blurbs, they read your name and that's where they stop. (And this is why some of your m/m readership may get angry for writing "girl cooties into books." I've seen this happen in GR review comments especially on my menage books.)

I used the same pen name on the advice of both my m/m and my first m/f publisher.

But really, I'd have been HAPPY if my first m/f sold as well as my first m/m - I wasn't really counting on the readership following me, that's why I wanted to go with a house like Carina that I thought could help me find a new readership. Didn't happen. I can't imagine that having written m/m books made my m/f book sell all that much WORSE than a m/f book by a completely new author would have sold. ETA: I don't think I'm such a big name in the m/m world that m/f readers browsing Carina books would see my name and assume m/m. I think they'd just see an unknown name. And Carina knew that I wrote m/m in the past and they didn't suggest a new pseudonym - if the m/m is as much of an anchor as you're suggesting, I'd assume they'd know about it and suggest I take steps to cut loose from it.

Like I said, I'm not really sure what went wrong, so I'm not blaming Carina. I just wanted to make sure authors understand that there are no sure things.

dondomat
06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Carina UK and Carina US do count as the same publisher from their point of view - as I was politely informed by Carina UK. Like Momentum (http://ww.absolutewrite.com/forums/8.http://momentumbooks.com.au/submissions/) and the parent company - Panmacmillan Australia (http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/manuscript_monday.asp)
Only Momentum actually spell it out int their FAQ - no need to play the guessing game there.

*edit* - Harlequin Digital also counts as the same; so these three (with the two Carinas) count as one when you're submitting. I asked them can one submit three different projects at the same time to these three branches, and we'll see what the reply is.

*edit2* - yes, one can indeed submit three different projects simultaneously to the three lines.

MumblingSage
06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
I used the same pen name on the advice of both my m/m and my first m/f publisher.

But really, I'd have been HAPPY if my first m/f sold as well as my first m/m - I wasn't really counting on the readership following me, that's why I wanted to go with a house like Carina that I thought could help me find a new readership. Didn't happen. I can't imagine that having written m/m books made my m/f book sell all that much WORSE than a m/f book by a completely new author would have sold. ETA: I don't think I'm such a big name in the m/m world that m/f readers browsing Carina books would see my name and assume m/m. I think they'd just see an unknown name. And Carina knew that I wrote m/m in the past and they didn't suggest a new pseudonym - if the m/m is as much of an anchor as you're suggesting, I'd assume they'd know about it and suggest I take steps to cut loose from it.

Like I said, I'm not really sure what went wrong, so I'm not blaming Carina. I just wanted to make sure authors understand that there are no sure things.

Thanks for the perspective. I've bought m/f and m/m stories from the same authors, although a lot of those were short stories so maybe it matters less. But I have enough trouble keeping track of my pennames as it is, I think I'd stick with the same one for both (especially as I'm also toying around with ménage).

Regina Harvey
07-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Just thought I'd update that I too heard from Carina UK that they are holding off on considering my submission until it is accepted or rejected by Carina US, so it looks like it is best to submit only to one or the other - they do consider each other to be the same company, just as dondomat says.

As for Carina US, I am at about 75 days with no word yet. Good luck to anyone else who has submitted to either division!

VanessaNorth
07-06-2013, 06:51 AM
I said back in feb. i would update when i had news... Really, i don't, but... Ten weeks in, i received a very nice note from Angela James that she wouldn't be using my sub for the holiday antho, but she was forwarding it to another editor. Ten weeks after that i received an r&r asking me to expand the story, and i resubmitted a couple of days ago.

All in all, whichever way the r&r goes, it has been a positive experience.

(sorry for poor ipad typing issues)

MumblingSage
07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Timeline for my novelette:

Submitted August 28, 2012
Accepted December 17
Contract in January
Developmental edits and line edits during May (I asked for an extension on the developmental edits because of life things and they gave me an extra week). Along with the first round of developmental edits I filled out a retitling worksheet, IIRC.
And the copyedit just went through the last week of June.

Still haven't seen cover art, although the story isn't slated for release until the end of this year or early 2014. It's been a great experience so far and I've found my editor very approachable.

stevewed
07-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Angela James, the executive editor for Carina Press, was on the BEA panel here (http://www.booktv.org/Program/14651/2013+Book+Expo+America+Panel+SelfPublishing+Disrup tor+or+Defender+of+the+Book+Business.aspx)

nkkingston
07-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Carina UK and Carina US do count as the same publisher from their point of view - as I was politely informed by Carina UK. Like Momentum (http://ww.absolutewrite.com/forums/8.http://momentumbooks.com.au/submissions/) and the parent company - Panmacmillan Australia (http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/manuscript_monday.asp)
Only Momentum actually spell it out int their FAQ - no need to play the guessing game there.

*edit* - Harlequin Digital also counts as the same; so these three (with the two Carinas) count as one when you're submitting. I asked them can one submit three different projects at the same time to these three branches, and we'll see what the reply is.

*edit2* - yes, one can indeed submit three different projects simultaneously to the three lines.

How do readers view, it though? If you're published by Carina UK, are you potentially missing out on Carina US readers? Presumably through third party retailers it doesn't make a huge difference, but on the publishers' own sites is there any cross promotion? Between VAT and the exchange rate UK ebooks are more expensive and pitching to a much smaller market than US.

I fangirl Angela James pretty hard, so despite being a UK author my default would be to sub to Carina US anyway, but some of what I write is so English I've been wondering if a publisher with a UK audience might be a better fit. But if Carina US sales aren't high (EREC suggests Captcha's experience is not unique) then I'd be worried that Carina UK's will be even lower, for the reasons outlined above.

Oldbrasscat
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Carina doesn't actually look bad, when you look at the numbers over the course of a year. Their first month looks dismal, going by EREC, but then seems to pick up. I'd be interested to know how that breaks down with respect to orientation, too. I have a manuscript (MM) that would suit a couple of their editors, but it would suit a couple of other pubs as well, and I can't, unfortunately, sim-sub it to all of them.

Choices are very hard for Librans...;)

Captcha
07-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Carina doesn't actually look bad, when you look at the numbers over the course of a year. Their first month looks dismal, going by EREC, but then seems to pick up. I'd be interested to know how that breaks down with respect to orientation, too. I have a manuscript (MM) that would suit a couple of their editors, but it would suit a couple of other pubs as well, and I can't, unfortunately, sim-sub it to all of them.

Choices are very hard for Librans...;)

If you go with Carina, it'd be great if you reported back here. I'm taking a break from m/f, but I'm curious about them for m/m.

Oldbrasscat
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I will definitely report back. They do seem to do a lot of promotion, so I wonder if the low first month is just a little bit of getting lost in the crowd.

MumblingSage
07-12-2013, 07:37 PM
I will definitely report back. They do seem to do a lot of promotion, so I wonder if the low first month is just a little bit of getting lost in the crowd.

Another thing it might be--and this is me wildly speculating--is sales from the publisher's website are low, and because it takes Amazon and other outside sellers a while to report those sales back to the publisher the sales have the appearance of picking up in later months?

I say this because my novella with Dreamspinner had a horrifically disappointing first royalty report (I cried. Because that was also the day I learned about 50 Shades of Gray being a bestseller) but then a stellar, grin-across-the-face report in the next quarter. I don't think it suddenly picked up at that magnitude (5x or more the first quarter payment), but instead there was some processing at outside sellers.

On the other hand I could be completely wrong and the pattern with my DS novella (on which Dreamspinner did a fantastic job, btw, so my initial royalty disappointment is not a reflection on them but instead an Author's Mood thing) is one that many Carina stories fall into for whatever reason.

I have an m/m story coming out with Carina in December (and another one with Dreamspinner around the same time), so we'll see.

Captcha
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Another thing it might be--and this is me wildly speculating--is sales from the publisher's website are low, and because it takes Amazon and other outside sellers a while to report those sales back to the publisher the sales have the appearance of picking up in later months?

That would be lovely, but I've gotten at least one more statement from Carina since my initial one and there's been no upswing. And based on Amazon rankings, there won't be one - there's really been no movement of that book.

For comparison, with a DSP novel, a self-pubbed novel, and a Carina novel, all pubbed at roughly the same time (but with the first two being m/m, so not really a fair comparison to m/f, probably): my DSP novel has reported roughly 40x more sales and my self-pubbed title roughly 8x more sales than the Carina title. I don't have any m/m with Carina to compare, but my first m/m with DSP (to compare "new author" stats) had sold almost 900 copies after its first two quarters, and it came out in June (so its first quarter was only a partial). This is compared to a Carina title that's still in the double digits.

Again, I don't think this is a case of Carina doing anything wrong. But my book with them really did not find an audience, for whatever reason. There are no guarantees, even with a publisher (and, I think, an author) doing everything right.

MumblingSage
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
That would be lovely, but I've gotten at least one more statement from Carina since my initial one and there's been no upswing. And based on Amazon rankings, there won't be one - there's really been no movement of that book.

For comparison, with a DSP novel, a self-pubbed novel, and a Carina novel, all pubbed at roughly the same time (but with the first two being m/m, so not really a fair comparison to m/f, probably): my DSP novel has reported roughly 40x more sales and my self-pubbed title roughly 8x more sales than the Carina title. I don't have any m/m with Carina to compare, but my first m/m with DSP (to compare "new author" stats) had sold almost 900 copies after its first two quarters, and it came out in June (so its first quarter was only a partial). This is compared to a Carina title that's still in the double digits.

Again, I don't think this is a case of Carina doing anything wrong. But my book with them really did not find an audience, for whatever reason. There are no guarantees, even with a publisher (and, I think, an author) doing everything right.

Okay. I was thinking more along the lines of EREC's reported sales (slow in the first month, but rather high later on). Although that can also be a function of big-name writers reporting after a while, and newer writers reporting their opening sales. Or as you point out it might not even be a 'new' writer thing; Carina might just have a different reading market.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck with future works and hope you get more 1000-copy quarters than double digits, wherever they're published!

Regina Harvey
07-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Just an update on one manuscript with Carina (US - a different one than I also sent to Carina UK) - form rejection email after 97 days. Two others still out with them.

Jennifer Robins
07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
I just submitted a novella to Carina.

dondomat
07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I submitted to Carina start of March, nudged start of July, they said they need more time... Better than Journalstone and Bedlam whom I've also had the pleasure in the past to nudge after the time they said is the maximum for reply. They never replied... Made me feel real special.

veinglory
07-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Apologies for the solicitation, but my Carina data is a very small set. Sales data contributions appreciated: http://www.eroticromancepublishers.com/p/report-sales-data.html (the site formerly known as EREC)

kobacat
08-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has any further experience with Carina UK? I'm halfway through one of their recent books and it has a noticeable number of typos and sneaky homophones: "bare" for "bear", "seer" for "sear" and the like. (It also has some VERY unpleasant stereotyping about my home country, but that's my issue, not the editor's.) I'm really surprised to see this from Harlequin. They have a submission of mine right now and I'm wondering -- on the very slight offchance they do like it -- if this is par for the course...

Pisco Sour
09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi

I e-mailed Carina UK back in August asking whether it was okay to sub to them, since I'd already subbed to Carina USA. They didn't answer and then I found AW and read this thread.

I just got an e-mail from Carina UK saying to go ahead and sub to them. I'm 11 weeks into waiting for an answer from Carina USA and I am sorely tempted, especially in light of the fact that I am based in the UK and think maybe my book would be better suited/understood by a British reader. I'm a newbie to all this so not really sure what to do.
Right, just wanted to share the information.

gingerwoman
09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
How do readers view, it though? If you're published by Carina UK, are you potentially missing out on Carina US readers? Presumably through third party retailers it doesn't make a huge difference, but on the publishers' own sites is there any cross promotion? Between VAT and the exchange rate UK ebooks are more expensive and pitching to a much smaller market than US.

I fangirl Angela James pretty hard, so despite being a UK author my default would be to sub to Carina US anyway, but some of what I write is so English I've been wondering if a publisher with a UK audience might be a better fit. But if Carina US sales aren't high (EREC suggests Captcha's experience is not unique) then I'd be worried that Carina UK's will be even lower, for the reasons outlined above.
The EREC figures may be out of whack compared to a press like Loose ID because Carina does non erotic romance and Loose ID is all erotic romance? Maybe? I mean Carina accepts a lot more genres that most epubs in the past have.

veinglory
09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
EREC figures are for erotic romance only. They are for a small data set that may not be representative.

Regina Harvey
09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
I had the same situation, having sent a manuscript to Carina US just 5 days or so before I even found out about Carina UK. I got a direct message back from Carina UK that said to wait to hear from Carina US before I sent to Carina UK, but it seems you got a different response. Mine was back in May or June (see earlier in the thread), but it could be that my response was specific to my particular manuscript? I'm not sure if the the US and UK are in communication with each other, but that might have something to do with it?
I haven't gotten a rejection yet from Carina US on that manuscript (it's been about 140 days, so I'm hopeful, but I also had a reason I thought it would fit best with a UK audience, so I will still send to Carina UK if the answer is no from Carina US.
Also, another manuscript did get rejected (sent 3, 2 rejected now), and this latest rejection was at about 105 days.
Good luck to everyone with manuscripts out to them!

Pisco Sour
09-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Regina
Weird. I sent you a private message, hope you get it.

Jennifer Robins
09-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Got my R letter for my novella after six weeks. It did say to send other submissions in the future. Didn't say why they rejected this one, just that it didn't fit for them.

Pisco Sour
09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear that.

If it's any consolation at least you got your submission package to them nicely. My cat's butt sent my sub to Carina on Saturday. I went off to make the tea and when I came back there was my kitty, lolling all over the keyboard. And my sub? Gone. Half-baked cover letter, wrong format on ms, wrong word count and unfinished syn. I'd attached the docs to see whether they were .docx or .docs so I knew which one to work on.
'I'll come back after tea and work on it so I can send nice and pretty on Monday morning'. Alas, I should've given my cat that bicky she wanted!

Stacy
09-10-2013, 07:32 AM
I got my rejection letter today for my dark fantasy romance. I submitted 12 weeks and 3 days ago.

gingerwoman
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Sorry about the R Stacey. Maybe try some of the Dark Markets links.

Stacy
09-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks! I Will.

Sorry about the R Stacey. Maybe try some of the Dark Markets links.

romancewriter
09-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Carina UK emailed me a few days saying they want to discuss my latest submission. Not entirely sure why they want to call, but from what I've read on other threads it's likely they want to buy it but want to make sure we're on the same page as far as any revisions go. Anyway I had also submitted the same ms to another publisher and I sent them an email letting them know of Carina's interests.

So anyone have any idea what I should expect when Carina calls?

gingerwoman
09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Goodness they bother to call? Congrats!

Pisco Sour
09-21-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm doing a little happy dance!

Submitted my first novel to Carina USA: Fri, 28th June
Received offer: Fri, 20th September (exactly 12 weeks).

I've got a permanent smile on my face, as a different publisher has asked for full on my second book. Yay!

Update 13th October: Accepted Carina Press offer on first book. Other, lovely publisher offered for second book on 25th September. Mentioned this to Carina. They read second book and offered for it two weeks later. Ultimately, I accepted their offer.

Marian Perera
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow, congratulations. :)

Fae Sutherland
09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Goodness they bother to call? Congrats!

Carina calls for all first time acquisitions (unless the person is out of the US, I think).

Pisco Sour
09-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks, still smiling. I live in the UK and got an e-mail. :D

MumblingSage
09-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Carina UK emailed me a few days saying they want to discuss my latest submission. Not entirely sure why they want to call, but from what I've read on other threads it's likely they want to buy it but want to make sure we're on the same page as far as any revisions go. Anyway I had also submitted the same ms to another publisher and I sent them an email letting them know of Carina's interests.

So anyone have any idea what I should expect when Carina calls?

Carina meant to call me when they accepted my book, but my cell phone was off. Which is good because I wouldn't want to discuss my gay erotica career on the phone in the house with my family around XP. When I gave a polite excuse, they told me the call is meant as a courtesy to authors and it's fine if I liked keeping discussions to email (which has worked wonderfully--my editor has been super responsive, even on Memorial Day weekend).

In short, it sounds like a good sign to me!

romancewriter
09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
They're in the UK and I'm in the US so from what I've heard from other writers that's probably why they emailed to set up a call time. I'm supposed to hear something tomorrow. Will let everyone know what the verdict is. And thanks for all the comments. :)

And major congrats Graceful Ghost! So exciting. Best of luck.

Pisco Sour
09-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks Romancewriter, and I wish you all the best. I haven't been able to sleep I'm so chuffed they want my story! I started writing last year on a dare from my husband and boy, am I glad. Glad also, that I live in the UK and didn't get a phone call. Listening to me garble and gook, swear, apologise, and swear again would not have been pretty. I would have done it in Spanish, too, since I revert to native when I'm excited.

I received a lovely e-mail which I have printed and pasted on my fridge door to help me lose weight for all my autograph signings... LOL! ;)

Y ole.

Alley1958
09-23-2013, 01:11 AM

Submitted my first novel to Carina USA: Fri 28th June
Received offer: Friday 20th September (exactly 12 weeks).

I've got a permanent smile on my face, as a different publisher has asked for full on my second book. Yay!

Congrats, Graceful Ghost! My experience with Carina USA has been wonderful. From my editor to the support staff to my fellow CP authors, they're all class acts.

VanessaNorth
09-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Oh, so excited for you graceful ghost and romancewriter!

I am at 12 weeks and counting on the r&r... 32 weeks total.

Pisco Sour
09-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Good luck, Vanessa, and thanks QofS for your good wishes.
And Allie, the guy on your front cover is... phroarrgh... Somebody get me a fan! I sent you a PM, hope you get it.

Pisco Sour
09-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Just curious here... Has anybody had their book/s with Carina translated into other languages, and sold on Amazon.es/.fr/ or equivalent? Thanks.

gingerwoman
09-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't write for Carina, but I suspect Carina books are sold in English on Amazon.de,etc... since the Germans and the French etc... learn English at school. I write for a comparable company and my book just became available on the German site for purchase, but the novel itself is still in English it hasn't been translated. .

Pisco Sour
09-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that, Gingerwoman. I'm just wondering as it would be great to reach Central American, Portuguese, French etc. readers, and knowing that Carina makes an effort to market in several languages would be good. I believe they ask for those rights, but I could be wrong as I'm away and haven't got the deal memo in front of me.

I hope they do translate their books, as the Latin American market, and other non-English speaking countries, hunger for romance. IMHO. Maybe they don't, and if so perhaps it's because the uptake on Kindle or similar e-readers is less than in the USA and Europe?

Captcha
09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't write for Carina, but I suspect Carina books are sold in English on Amazon.de,etc... since the Germans and the French etc... learn English at school. I write for a comparable company and my book just became available on the German site for purchase, but the novel itself is still in English it hasn't been translated. .

I don't know about Carina, but I know at least one romance house (Dreamspinner) is doing actual translations, not just selling English versions in non-English stores.

The Carina contract grabs pretty much every right possible for the MS, so they certainly could do translations, but I checked the blurbs of a few Carina books on the Amazon.it website and they're still in English. Too bad.

ShannonStacey
09-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Just curious here... Has anybody had their book/s with Carina translated into other languages, and sold on Amazon.es/.fr/ or equivalent? Thanks.

I have foreign editions, and they're available on the different Amazon sites. Some are English editions, I believe, but some have been translated.

La fille du New Hampshire (Literally, the girl from New Hampshire but actually Exclusively Yours) is available at Amazon.fr and at least three of my Kowalski series are in German (actually IN German, because I have the paperback copies on my shelf) and sold through Amazon.de:

Mein Ex, seine Familie, die Wildnis und ich (My ex, his family, the wilderness and I --- Exclusively Yours)
Ein bisschen Kowalski gibt es nicht (A bit Kowalski does not exist --- Undeniably Yours)
Ganz oder Kowalski (Whole or in Kowalski --- Yours To Keep)

I love the title translations, even though I know Google's very literal. I also have other paperbacks I thought were Finnish, but the author portal lists Sweden in my foreign editions. And I know a reader from Singapore asked me why only three were available in Thai.

I also have Australian and United Kingdom editions, which are obviously in English, but are packaged differently for those territories.

Pisco Sour
09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Wow! Thanks, Shannon.
I'm slightly confused. Did you say you have some of these books on your shelves? I thought Carina didn't do print books. Also, did Carina translate them into French, German etc. "in house" or is that something you arranged on your own/agent arranged?
Sorry to be so nosy. If you prefer please do PM me.
Thanks again for the info.:)

ShannonStacey
09-26-2013, 08:35 PM
My first print editions were released in print through HQN, but Carina Press is now doing limited print releases with their own branding. The seventh book in my Kowalski series will release in print directly from Carina Press. Fiona Lowe's RITA-winning Boomerang Bride was just reissued in mass market paperback this month. I think I read that Marie Force's series is coming in print, though I'm not sure which imprint branding it will carry. And there are others. They also send quite a few titles into print through the subscription program. Some of my foreign editions say Mira or Silk or HQN.

I don't know how the translations were handled, other than it's something Harlequin did, not me or my agent. The print editions, foreign editions, Audible versions, subscription service copies, Doubleday/Rhapsody editions, etc are all rights from my original contract being exercised.

Pisco Sour
09-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Blimey, thanks for clarifying. And nice to know that it's possible, maybe, to go to print. I'll put this question re translations on my list for Carina editor.
All the best.

Captcha
09-27-2013, 12:53 AM
I have foreign editions, and they're available on the different Amazon sites. Some are English editions, I believe, but some have been translated.

La fille du New Hampshire (Literally, the girl from New Hampshire but actually Exclusively Yours) is available at Amazon.fr and at least three of my Kowalski series are in German (actually IN German, because I have the paperback copies on my shelf) and sold through Amazon.de:

Mein Ex, seine Familie, die Wildnis und ich (My ex, his family, the wilderness and I --- Exclusively Yours)
Ein bisschen Kowalski gibt es nicht (A bit Kowalski does not exist --- Undeniably Yours)
Ganz oder Kowalski (Whole or in Kowalski --- Yours To Keep)

I love the title translations, even though I know Google's very literal. I also have other paperbacks I thought were Finnish, but the author portal lists Sweden in my foreign editions. And I know a reader from Singapore asked me why only three were available in Thai.

I also have Australian and United Kingdom editions, which are obviously in English, but are packaged differently for those territories.

Just to clarify - these are Harlequin titles originally, right? So Harlequin translated them? Or were they translated by Carina?

ShannonStacey
09-27-2013, 01:25 AM
These were acquired by and digitally published first by Carina Press. They've used other outlets available to them in order to exercise the various rights, but they're Carina titles first and foremost.

Although, FWIW, the contracts all say Harlequin. The teams all work together under the Harlequin umbrella, so who technically contracted the translators? I have no idea.

Alley1958
09-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Good luck, Vanessa, and thanks QofS for your good wishes.
And Allie, the guy on your front cover is... phroarrgh... Somebody get me a fan! I sent you a PM, hope you get it.

GG - Saw your PM today and replied. Sorry for the delay. I don't get to AW every day.

Carina does some really nice covers. I think your response was exactly what they intended. LOL.

Regina Harvey
10-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Submitted my first novel to Carina USA: Fri 28th June
Received offer: Friday 20th September (exactly 12 weeks).

Congrats!!!!! That's fabulous - karmic balancing for earlier cat butt incident?

Pisco Sour
10-03-2013, 12:58 PM
:Shrug:Totally, Regina! I'm still cringing over that one, but it seems the best thing to do is get my furry Fleur to sit on my subs. I'll send you a PM re Carina UK.
All the best
GG

tarak
10-17-2013, 06:03 AM
I received an R&R for the manuscript I submitted the end of July. Pretty sure it was the 31st that I submitted. So eleven weeks from submission to the R&R. Still digesting the feedback and deciding whether I want to tackle the revisions (I most likely will).

Diana Green
10-30-2013, 10:01 PM
First, let me apologize if this was already covered earlier in the thread, and I somehow missed it. There are a LOT of pages.

Okay, here's my question.

Does anyone know if Carina Press has the same problems with their contracts that the larger Harlequin Company does? Last spring, Harlequin offered me a digital contract, but it had some things I really wasn't comfortable with. The royalties were only on the "net digital receipts" which didn't seem nearly as clear as "cover price". Also, the rights for my book would have continued reverting automatically to them, as long as a few copies were selling.

I was so unhappy with this prospect, that I went with a different publisher. Carina Press looks good in many ways, but I don't want to waste time submitting to them, if they have the same kind of contract I just described.

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Diana Green

Filigree
10-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I've heard from other authors and agents that Carina generally does not budge on contract terms. You accept what you sign up for, and in return your book gets access to the massive juggernaut that is Harlequin's marketing department. That tradeoff seems to be worth it, even for many agented authors.

I'd consider them for standalone erotic romance or fantasy novels that had no links to my other prospective series.

Evangeline
10-31-2013, 04:58 AM
First, let me apologize if this was already covered earlier in the thread, and I somehow missed it. There are a LOT of pages.

Does anyone know if Carina Press has the same problems with their contracts that the larger Harlequin Company does? Last spring, Harlequin offered me a digital contract, but it had some things I really wasn't comfortable with. The royalties were only on the "net digital receipts" which didn't seem nearly as clear as "cover price". Also, the rights for my book would have continued reverting automatically to them, as long as a few copies were selling.

I was so unhappy with this prospect, that I went with a different publisher. Carina Press looks good in many ways, but I don't want to waste time submitting to them, if they have the same kind of contract I just described.

Thanks,
Diana Green

Here's something from a former CP author:

http://www.sandalpressonline.com/blog/2012/05/agents-contracts-and-authors/

http://www.sandalpressonline.com/blog/2012/05/signing-the-carinapress-contract/

http://www.sandalpressonline.com/blog/2012/06/carinapress-and-royalties/

http://www.sandalpressonline.com/blog/2012/05/carinapress-and-rights-reversion/

Sheryl Nantus
10-31-2013, 05:15 AM
I won't discuss the contract terms but I will say changes were made last January - after this author detailed her thoughts.

I have four books with Carina and just signed for two more. I'm pleased with my choice.

gingerwoman
10-31-2013, 05:51 AM

Thanks,
Diana Green
Carina definitely has significantly higher royalties on digital books than the Harlequin branded lines.

Filigree
10-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Evangeline, thanks for reposting those links. Along with other sources, they have effectively stalled any interest I might have had for Carina - with the exception of a standalone throwaway novel. I heard the contracts were Byzantine, I didn't know the truth. If the imprint shows high earnings in the future, I'll reconsider it.

Diana Green
10-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the added info.

It's good to have a complete picture when you're deciding whether or not to submit to a particular publisher.

ShannonStacey
10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
With all due respect, those blog posts are a year and a half old. It's unfortunate the author wasn't happy with Carina Press, but that happens. Some books just don't sell. And some publishers sell some genres more effectively than others. If the criteria for a publisher is having no disgruntled authors, that'll be quite a hunt.

I've been with Carina since their launch and in June of this year, I signed a contract for five more titles. Everybody has different hills they're willing to die on, so the contract will be okay for some and not for others. But there are intelligent, business-minded, successful authors who have options and great agents choosing to sign with Carina Press.

effectively stalled any interest I might have had for Carina - with the exception of a standalone throwaway novel

They try to build authors so if you hold not only them but the book itself in such low regard, you're probably right in thinking they're not the publisher for you.

VanessaNorth
11-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Carina has had my R&R for a little over 17 weeks now. I sent a nudge last week but didn't receive a response.

They've had the manuscript 38 weeks total between the original submission and the R&R. I'm honestly flummoxed by the lack of communication post resubmission because it is the exact opposite of the experience during the original process.

VanessaNorth
11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I have an update! Flummoxation ended. ;) Received a very nice email from Angela James this morning letting me know the status of my sub--still in the process, but I should have an answer soon.

seaaircarol
11-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Good luck!

Filigree
11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
ShannonStacy, I'm glad that you are happy working with them. I know other writers who are, too. I've heard about the new contract terms. My agent knows about the new contract terms, since she works with Carina for other authors.

My comment about sending them a 'standalone' novel comes from me not wanting to commit a large series under Carina's imprint. At least not now. Before I knew what I was doing I queried them on what became my debut novel, part of a much bigger story arc. I really liked - and still like - Carina's cross-genre interests. It was a blessing in disguise when my first query to them resulted in a rejection. If I'd sold that book to Carina, I probably would not have been free to pitch the non-erotic romance parts of that story arc to the Big Five SFF imprints.

I have nothing against Carina. I simply want to wait and see how their sales figures average out, how they manage the mainstream SFF books in their lineup, and if their still-strict contract softens a little. When they prove they can match the sales and street cred of established SFF publishers while still offering the creative freedom of the erotic romance e-pubs, I'll happily consider them again. A harsh contract is fine, if the payoff is worth it.

AmberS
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Honestly I'm a little confused with the idea that Carina's contract terms are harsh. So as background, I've signed with them, with Harl Digital, Entangled and Loose Id.

The reversion terms for Carina were a little stricter than some, but they also a better royalty rate than many small pubs and most of the digital imprints from the NY houses. Technically that's a trade off, but I'm personally happier with more money on each sale and giving it to them for longer (if I planned on reverting rights quickly, I'd just self pub anyway).

As for the net receipts, I have not personally even seen a contract that basis royalties off the cover price, except for sales on the publisher site. Royalties via distributor are calculated based on what the publisher receives. I'm not sure how anyone *could* do otherwise, considering how often discounts and foreign editions change the pricing and it's out of their control. Basically if they were to offer me 40% of the cover price, they'd literally make nothing on a sale? Which doesn't make sense. Are there any major digital publishers who do base the royalty calculations on the cover list price?

Plus, there were areas where I find the Carina contract more flexible than my other contracts, like right of first refusal.

I mean, if it ends up true that they have a harsh contract, that's totally fine. It's not personal or anything, and everyone can choose what publishers/contract work for them. I just don't see how it is.

Fae Sutherland
11-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't personally find the contract terms harsh. I think they're fair, Net is very clearly defined within the contract and there's nothing shady about it.

But I disagree that the net royalties results in more money per sale. Not because it's net, but because of the drastic slash in cover prices within the last year. Suddenly books that cost five dollars are being sold for half that price and while I get that Carina wanted to try and compete with the lower self pubbed prices, it did not - for most authors I know - result in more sales to make up for that half-price slash. Myself included. Sure, the handful of top sellers could afford to see their prices slashed and make it up in volume, but for the midlist and under...it did not work out that way. An extra 10% in net sales does not make up for the cliff-drop of sales post-price slashing.

I loved my experience with Carina in every way but one - money made. I make triple what I make at Carina with other, much smaller, publishers, so it's not just that readers don't want to buy my books - they buy them just fine elsewhere. Which sucks because I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them and their people (especially my editor who is literally the most amazing person I've ever worked with) other than that sales suck and the drastic drop in cover prices are hurtful to most of their authors' bottom line.

AmberS
11-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Yes, the price slash was a different thing, unrelated to contracts. My book with Carina came out today and is priced at $1.99 for category length... meanwhile another book also came out today and it's $2.99 for a novella. Confusing :)

However, my first publisher charged such high prices (Loose Id) that at this point I'm just relieved... it's yet to be seen for me how it pans out in overall royalties made.

Filigree
11-05-2013, 03:02 AM
This is what I meant: many of the midlist Carina authors that I know make far less off their Carina books than with some of the established erotic romance e-pubs. Carina still has my interest because of their stated goal to incorporate high-quality science fiction and fantasy amid their romance and erotic romance catalog. When I see Carina books regularly getting Nebula nominations, and review placement in SFF industry mags like Locus, I'll know they've done it.*

Until then, Carina needs to show really strong sales across the board to make up for some of the less-favorable contract terms. As it is right now, I'm far more likely to submit cross-genre fantasy/erotic romance to Loose Id or Samhain. They have little chance of getting mainstream SFF kudos - trust me, I hear some of the convention gossip - but they generally pay well.

*I have read five or six Carina books in the last year or so that could match anything from Tor, Daw, or Del-Rey, as far as SSF storytelling goes. So I know the authors know what they're doing.

VanessaNorth
11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I got "the call" this past tuesday for my m/m contemporary novella. :)

For those keeping track, this story was originally submitted as part of an anthology call, then considered for pub on its own, then R&R, so I don't think anything about the length of my wait was normal. I am happy this story has found a home at Carina, and I'm really excited to work with them.

seaaircarol
11-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Congratulations!!!

:partyguy:

Qiana Zee
11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Wonderful news. Congrats, Vanessa!

Alley1958
11-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I got "the call" this past tuesday for my m/m contemporary novella. :)

For those keeping track, this story was originally submitted as part of an anthology call, then considered for pub on its own, then R&R, so I don't think anything about the length of my wait was normal. I am happy this story has found a home at Carina, and I'm really excited to work with them.

Congrats, Vanessa! :snoopy:

Pisco Sour
11-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Congratulations! Fantastic news.:D

Pisco Sour
01-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Carina Press now using 'submittable'. Got the message on my FB page and thought I'd mention it.

BTW, just been reading through Musa thread and somebody mentioned they'd heard rumblings that Carina will soon be offering print as well as e-book. Can anybody substantiate?

Kweei
01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey, does anyone know if you need to use submittable for an R&R? I've been working on mine but I received the R&R before they made the switch.

AmberS
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
BTW, just been reading through Musa thread and somebody mentioned they'd heard rumblings that Carina will soon be offering print as well as e-book. Can anybody substantiate?

My understanding is that some books already go to print as part of a Direct to Consumer program (ie. delivered to their house or something). Whether your book will go depends on its length and whether it suits the genre needs of the program at the time. And a few of the bigger authors make it into bookstores (the Theory of Attraction anthology, for one).

As far as I know, it's more of a "do well and then we'll see" situation. I haven't heard any plans for making every book available POD like some digital publishers do, but that would be cool.

Pisco Sour
01-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Hmmm... could be the difference between submitting my next book to them or choosing a different publisher. I think Carina is great but I still hanker after having my books in print also. Why can't they do POD, like I think Samhain does for anything above 50k?

AmberS
01-03-2014, 09:06 PM
I think Carina is great but I still hanker after having my books in print also. Why can't they do POD, like I think Samhain does for anything above 50k?

Yeah, I expect sales for it would be tiny, but it makes a huge difference when you're signing. I've heard they provide CDs to sign, but as a reader, I want a physical book if I'm going to a signing.

VanessaNorth
01-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Hmmm... could be the difference between submitting my next book to them or choosing a different publisher. I think Carina is great but I still hanker after having my books in print also. Why can't they do POD, like I think Samhain does for anything above 50k?

I suspect, and this is pure speculation on my part, it's a distribution thing. Harlequin has a pretty huge paperback distribution in place and has for decades, why would they go to the more expensive route of POD for a small handful of titles from their single-title digital first imprint? it makes more sense from a distribution standpoint to put proven sellers into print through their regular distribution channels than to put everything of length into POD.

Oldbrasscat
01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I think that's what they do--if a book does well, it says somewhere on the website, it can be picked up for print distribution, but there's no guarantee that it will happen.

I think, for us midlisters, it would be very unlikely, unless we had a breakout novel.

Mr Flibble
01-07-2014, 01:04 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to get a book of one of my Carina books in the post. I had no idea it was going to print! I have no idea why it did and the others didn't either...

Pisco Sour
02-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Just saw on Twitter that Carina Press are going to have a Twitter Pitching thing on Tuesday 11th Feb. Not sure what time, though.
Thought I'd share.

Wildflower90
03-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Coming up to 9 weeks on my sub on Wednesday. Getting to be obsessive about checking emails...doesn't help I have internet on my phone now. Oh for the days when I actually needed a computer. At least the old hotmail got a break from incessant clicking!

ShannonStacey
03-11-2014, 12:50 AM
They just updated their guidelines, including new word count requirements, for those interested: http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/

Pisco Sour
03-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Good Luck Wildflower. If you get an offer let us know so we can :partyguy:

Wildflower90
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Lol Pisco Sour, I definitely will, either way!!

And thanks for the heads-up, ShannonStacey!

LJD
03-13-2014, 01:28 AM
They just updated their guidelines, including new word count requirements, for those interested: http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/

Yes, I was all ready to submit a novella to Carina today, then I went to their website and noticed the submission guidelines had changed. *sigh* My manuscript is too short :(

MumblingSage
03-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Yes, I was all ready to submit a novella to Carina today, then I went to their website and noticed the submission guidelines had changed. *sigh* My manuscript is too short :(

I'm in the same boat. *sighs* It probably makes sense from a sales viewpoint--longer stories sell much better, and as mentioned above, Carina's sales are already not the strongest in the industry. On the bright side, this reorganization might improve things for writers who *do* get their manuscripts beefed up (I'm now toying with adding a subplot...)

Kweei
03-14-2014, 02:11 AM
The word count change stinks for me as I was in the middle of an R&R which will now not be considered at all :(

Filigree
03-14-2014, 02:59 AM
If it's M/M, Dreamspinner Press is still looking for novella-length pieces.

tarak
03-14-2014, 05:19 AM
The word count change stinks for me as I was in the middle of an R&R which will now not be considered at all :(

I'm so sorry about this. Have you tried contacting them to find out if the R&R still stands after the changes?

I'm working on an R&R for Carina. About 1/3 of the way through my manuscript. The comments I received from the editor were extremely thorough and helpful (two pages when I printed them out). I adore Angela James just for her love for Fluevogs.

Kweei
03-15-2014, 02:20 AM
I'm so sorry about this. Have you tried contacting them to find out if the R&R still stands after the changes?

I'm working on an R&R for Carina. About 1/3 of the way through my manuscript. The comments I received from the editor were extremely thorough and helpful (two pages when I printed them out). I adore Angela James just for her love for Fluevogs.

Yes, I did follow up with them. Even though I have an R&R, they will no longer accept it because it's less than the new required word count.

It's a bit depressing, since the suggestions were very helpful and I was looking forward to resubmitting. i understand these things happened, but it makes me sad nonetheless.

Pisco Sour
03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Yes, I did follow up with them. Even though I have an R&R, they will no longer accept it because it's less than the new required word count.

It's a bit depressing, since the suggestions were very helpful and I was looking forward to resubmitting. i understand these things happened, but it makes me sad nonetheless.

Sorry to hear that! I hope you find a good home for it. :Hug2:

Wildflower90
03-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Aw that's so sad! At least you have some suggestions to make it even better, which you can use to submit to some other e-publisher *bright side* Until then, hugs and chocolates for you!

romancewriter
03-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Just FYI Carina UK does not have a word limit requirement. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested :)

tarak
03-17-2014, 04:46 AM

That stinks - I hope you can find a home for it elsewhere.

chopper
03-18-2014, 10:15 PM
i did #CarinaPitch the other month and was lucky enough to get a full request. Just got R'd, but the feedback from that was amazingly supportive & constructive. :)

gingerwoman
04-20-2014, 04:44 AM
I'm in the same boat. *sighs* It probably makes sense from a sales viewpoint--longer stories sell much better, and as mentioned above, Carina's sales are already not the strongest in the industry. On the bright side, this reorganization might improve things for writers who *do* get their manuscripts beefed up (I'm now toying with adding a subplot...)
With all the free books being given away these days and the 99 cent books, perhaps readers are becoming less tolerant of paying significant amounts for shorter books, and that's why they now want longer stories only.

Filigree
04-20-2014, 07:41 AM
For me, it's a matter of quality. Many of those $.99 and free books are, sadly, not worth reading - a fact borne out by looking at sample texts. Readers looking for cheap thrills will flock to the cheaper stuff. But as readers' tastes evolve, they often lose interest in it.

That isn't to say many e-pubs don't overcharge for the genre. A book that science fiction readers will pay $9 for, many romance readers would be more happy paying $5 or $6.

gingerwoman
05-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Just FYI Carina UK does not have a word limit requirement. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested :)
Really no word count limit at all? Well thank you for that, that's interesting.

Wildflower90
05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Hi all, thought I'd update stats while I'm thinking about it.

So in the end I got an offer of contract from a different epublisher and went with them. I withdrew my MS from Carina, but they were still mulling it over at 17 weeks, going to the acquisitions board according to one of their editors that wrote me, so if you're still waiting don't give up hope!!

Good luck to all still waiting :0)

Shall
07-24-2014, 07:21 AM
You can pitch on Carina's blog between July 23 - July 27.

Carina Press Not-at-Nationals Pitch Session
(http://carinapress.com/blog/2014/07/carina-press-not-at-nationals-pitch-session/)

S.C. Wynne
09-04-2014, 04:15 AM
Angela doesn't do the #editreports anymore? They were really interesting to read.

romancewriter
09-05-2014, 01:07 AM
I also follow Angela on Twitter. I think she just got tired of all the time it took to create her edit report. A while back they were hosting monthly Twitter chats but I haven't seen one scheduled in a number of months.

S.C. Wynne
09-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. It must have been tons of extra work, but it was so fascinating. lol

tarak
11-01-2014, 02:56 AM
I sent off my revised manuscript last week. The editor who requested the R&R is no longer listed on their site and I'm not sure what effect that has on the submission. Does it get treated as a new sub? The feedback I got was incredible (two pages of comments, single spaced) and helped tighten the MS a great deal. Hopefully it will get a new champion.

And in case it helps anyone - I originally submitted prior to them using Submittable. I emailed submissions about how to resubmit and was told to use Submittable but make it clear in the introduction that it was an R&R.

LJD
11-11-2014, 01:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone has subbed to Carina UK and received a response? I submitted via their online form 3 months ago and have not heard anything. Their response time is supposed to be ~3 weeks. I emailed them after 2 months, asking if they'd actually received my submission as no confirmation email was sent after subbing with the online form. I got an auto response to that email, but that was a month ago and I haven't heard anything...

Haunted_October
11-11-2014, 03:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone has subbed to Carina UK and received a response? I submitted via their online form 3 months ago and have not heard anything. Their response time is supposed to be ~3 weeks. I emailed them after 2 months, asking if they'd actually received my submission as no confirmation email was sent after subbing with the online form. I got an auto response to that email, but that was a month ago and I haven't heard anything...

The two times I've subbed to them, I had a response within ten days. Most of the people I know who've subbed to them had about the same timeframe.

LJD
11-12-2014, 02:30 AM
The two times I've subbed to them, I had a response within ten days. Most of the people I know who've subbed to them had about the same timeframe.

Interesting. Thank you. I wonder what happened with mine...maybe I'll try emailing them again in a few weeks...

romancewriter
11-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm pubbed through Carina UK and not responding to emails is a common problem with them. Not to be a wet blanket but if you have other places you've subbed, I wouldn't just wait around on Carina. Not saying you should withdraw, but if you haven't gotten an answer by now, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

LJD
11-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm pubbed through Carina UK and not responding to emails is a common problem with them. Not to be a wet blanket but if you have other places you've subbed, I wouldn't just wait around on Carina. Not saying you should withdraw, but if you haven't gotten an answer by now, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for letting me know. I've more or less given up on them at this point...

Angela James
11-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I feel I should note here that though we are both owned by Harlequin, Carina Press and Carina UK are two entirely different imprints. We're only the same in parent company, other than that, it's like Carina Press and HQN: different teams, different authors, different contracts, different strategies! It's possible you may actually wish to do a different thread about Carina UK, because Carina Press and Carina UK are actually not the same, we're just owned by the same parent company.

A.P.M.
11-22-2014, 03:15 AM
I submitted a novel-length NA manuscript and received a form reject within a week. At least it was quick!

S.C. Wynne
12-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Angela! It does get confusing at times. :)

viridian6
12-11-2014, 11:49 PM
are they a "no from one means no from all" house? one agent requested from a twitter pitch, then rejected. now a different agent has made another request from a different twitter pitch. i dunno if i should bother sending my materials in again.

hillaryjacques
12-12-2014, 05:00 AM
are they a "no from one means no from all" house? one agent requested from a twitter pitch, then rejected. now a different agent has made another request from a different twitter pitch. i dunno if i should bother sending my materials in again.

This isn't an agency, viridian6. It's a publisher. If one of the editors requested a submission, then you should follow their submission directions. Did you submit to a different editor following a twitter pitch, or had you already submitted to the publisher and received a rejection?

Aggy B.
12-12-2014, 06:56 AM

Once a Carina editor has rejected a MS you can't submit to a different editor. Even if they request materials via a pitch, etc.

Filigree
12-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Yep. One of the reasons to be cautious about who you query there.

Maddie
12-13-2014, 03:09 AM
Which is why I queried Carina's general subs inbox on Submittable for Erotic Romance. Very quickly went from "Received" to "In Progress." Hope they don't shoot it straight to "Declined."

haunted
12-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Maddie, did you hear anymore, how long is it taking from "in progress" to rejection or acceptance?

Maddie
12-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Maddie, did you hear anymore, how long is it taking from "in progress" to rejection or acceptance?

Still "In Progress," which has been suggested to me is a positive omen.

haunted
12-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Wow, okay. So from the 8th until now-almost 3 weeks. Thanks and good luck to you!

Maddie
12-27-2014, 01:35 AM
My sub was the 11th of December, so my sub was a few days after yours. Two weeks for mine. Good luck, haunted!

haunted
12-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Oh, whoops. I thought you subbed the 8th. I didn't sub until the 21st and then didn't check back until Christmas day, and it was already "in progress". Good luck!

Sibyl696
12-28-2014, 08:03 AM
I originally submitted to Carina on 12/5. I pitched during #PitchMas on Twitter on 12/12 and Angela James favorited one of my tweets. I replied to her via Twitter that I had already subbed it on 12/5. She attempted to open the manuscript file from my 12/5 submission the same day (12/12). The file was unable to be opened, so she requested I sub a doc file format, which I did on 12/13. So my submission went from received -> in progress -> open for editing -> back to in progress. I haven't heard anything since, so it's been about 3 weeks for mine - but I will follow up after the holidays. Good luck haunted and Maddie!

S.C. Wynne
02-18-2015, 01:27 AM
I originally submitted to Carina on 12/5. I pitched during #PitchMas on Twitter on 12/12 and Angela James favorited one of my tweets. I replied to her via Twitter that I had already subbed it on 12/5. She attempted to open the manuscript file from my 12/5 submission the same day (12/12). The file was unable to be opened, so she requested I sub a doc file format, which I did on 12/13. So my submission went from received -> in progress -> open for editing -> back to in progress. I haven't heard anything since, so it's been about 3 weeks for mine - but I will follow up after the holidays. Good luck haunted and Maddie!

Did you ever get any news? :)

haunted
02-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Got an R here, just not focused enough on the romance....most want the romance to be the main thing, and mine just aren't. Good luck to everyone else!

WilRadcliffe
02-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Got an R here, just not focused enough on the romance....most want the romance to be the main thing, and mine just aren't. Good luck to everyone else!

That's strange. Their submission guidelines specifically state:

"We do not require genre fiction books such as mystery, science fiction, and fantasy to have romantic elements. We read, acquire and publish nonromance with no romantic elements, as well! If you have a mystery, science fiction or fantasy manuscript that has no romantic elements, we want to see it."

Aggy B.
02-18-2015, 05:26 PM
That's strange. Their submission guidelines specifically state:

"We do not require genre fiction books such as mystery, science fiction, and fantasy to have romantic elements. We read, acquire and publish nonromance with no romantic elements, as well! If you have a mystery, science fiction or fantasy manuscript that has no romantic elements, we want to see it."

That is what they say, but I have noticed their editors do seem to be looking for more romance anyway.

Filigree
02-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Scratches head. That's a stumper, innit? Angela, if you're lurking anywhere nearby, is this just a case of the mms hitting the wrong editor, or is Carina tightening its guidelines?

haunted
02-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Oops. My bad....I was thinking of Liquid Silver...Not sure about Carina. Sorry Will, and everyone.

Filigree
02-19-2015, 03:43 AM
I've been hearing it about new subs to Carina, too.

Angela James
02-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was traveling and I wanted to look up what the poster had submitted, so I could provide a fair and thorough explanation. And I had one question that no one actually thought to ask, which is if the poster submitted in a non-romance or romance category!

We absolutely don't require romance. But if you submit your book as a romance, in any romance subgenre, as this author did, then the level of romance is (and should be) something we will take into consideration for our program. We have a responsibility to our readers to deliver on the romance promise, so commenting on the level of romance is very practical on a romance submission.

Filigree
02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
That's what I'd wondered, too. Thanks for clearing it up, Angela.

haunted
02-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Angela; if you meant me, I only have some romance, not the story based entirely upon it. I assumed it was rejected due to being too much horror.

sarahellen
09-16-2015, 03:50 AM
Submitted to Rhonda Helms at Carina on 7/30/15. It's now been about 6 weeks. Still nervously waiting and wondering if anyone anywhere has more recent wait times.

zippora
11-26-2015, 06:49 PM
I submitted to Carina UK today (26/11/2015). I'm hoping that I won't have to wait too long as the confirmation page said that they would get feedback to me within 3 weeks...

JaneD
11-27-2015, 05:06 PM
For what it's worth: I submitted to Carina UK on August 13th and never heard a dicky bird. And I nudged.

LJD
11-27-2015, 05:17 PM
I submitted to Carina UK today (26/11/2015). I'm hoping that I won't have to wait too long as the confirmation page said that they would get feedback to me within 3 weeks...

I submitted in August 2014 and never heard back. I tried nudging, but after further research, I decided I was less than impressed with Carina UK and didn't really care if they responded to my sub. Carina, on the other hand, I would definitely submit to again.

zippora
11-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Hey guys, thanks for sharing your experiences. Jane, I'm so sorry that they never got back to you! Laura, what was it that made you decide that Carina UK was not the publisher for you, but Carina (US I'm assuming) was?

LJD
11-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Laura, what was it that made you decide that Carina UK was not the publisher for you, but Carina (US I'm assuming) was?

Carina US has never accepted anything I've submitted, just to make that clear. For this particular manuscript, I could not submit to Carina US, as it was too short (less than 35k).

There are a few comments on recent pages in this thread...plus an AWer sent me a more detailed personal message after seeing that I'd submitted to them...These did not exactly inspire confidence. Sounds like many authors have had bad experiences and they are generally bad at correspondence. Plus there's the fact that I never hear about their books, EVER, which is a bit weird. I know they're in the UK, and I'm in North America (Canada) but still. Don't see a lot of reviews for their books even when I hunt for them, either.

zippora
12-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Well, received my R today. I think it was a bit of a shock - obviously you can never guarantee good news, but they had stated on social media that they would be giving feedback to anyone who submitted by the end of November, but I just received a standard reply with nothing distinguishing my work. Sigh. I'd say back to the drawing board, but as I don't have any feedback at all I'm not really sure which direction my re-write should be going.

Angela James
12-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Well, received my R today. I think it was a bit of a shock - obviously you can never guarantee good news, but they had stated on social media that they would be giving feedback to anyone who submitted by the end of November, but I just received a standard reply with nothing distinguishing my work. Sigh. I'd say back to the drawing board, but as I don't have any feedback at all I'm not really sure which direction my re-write should be going.

If you feel you should have received feedback through some sort of social media submissions drive, you could certainly follow-up and ask about that. If it was one of our submissions, this is what I'd want you to do.

Note: I am not affiliated with Carina UK as they're a separate business, so this is just advice, not internal insight.

zippora
12-06-2015, 02:39 PM
If you feel you should have received feedback through some sort of social media submissions drive, you could certainly follow-up and ask about that. If it was one of our submissions, this is what I'd want you to do.

Note: I am not affiliated with Carina UK as they're a separate business, so this is just advice, not internal insight.

Hey Angela - thank you for your recommendation. I did reply pretty much straight away, and ask if they had any feedback so that I could revise the manuscript, and I'm waiting to hear back. I know that they must get thousands of submissions, so hopefully they'll get back to me when they can :)

zippora
12-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Just to update people - never heard back, and I don't want to bug them and get a black mark against my name!

hsavage
01-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Well I'm super excited about this...because it's a first. I submitted to Carina 12/6 due to a favorite on #Pitmad, and received my first R&R on 12/31!!!!! Now....people may be thinking that it's not that great but for someone who has been dealing with agent rejections for the last forever and a half, I feel very motivated. Today I'm going to make a separate file and make some of the revisions she suggested (a 3-page email worth of suggestions), to see how I like the story. I'm making it separate because I have other submissions with other publishers, so I want to make sure that if somebody accepts it the way it is that I don't mess with it. Any suggestions/opinions on a revise and resubmit? Experience with such?

Deirdre
01-15-2016, 03:56 AM
Well I'm super excited about this...because it's a first. I submitted to Carina 12/6 due to a favorite on #Pitmad, and received my first R&R on 12/31!!!!!

Congratulations, btw.

Roxxsmom
01-15-2016, 04:34 AM
DRM helps no one and frustrates readers because if the device you got the original book on dies, you've pretty much lost the book and need to buy it again.

DRM does not stop pirating either because the people who put up pirated books tend to be the same people who can crack a DRM code, unlike your average reader who can't.

And there are numerous programs available on the web (one is an add on for calibre) that breaks DRMs so they can be read on different readers. I remember buying an ebook once and finding out it was only readable on kindle-compatible readers (I didn't have a device that read kindle books at the time, aside from my PC), so I'd have been SoL if that hadn't been available. I'm generally a law-abiding person, but the idea that I could buy a book for full price and not be able to read it on any device I owned was just annoying as heck.

And the way the book industry is going is away from the old model of advances and print.

A retreat from advances by small and e-book only presses is troubling to me, as it demonstrates a lack of faith in their own ability to garner sales at even a certain minimum threshold that would "sell out" such an advance. If they're reluctant to gamble even 2000-3000 bucks up front against future sales, how good can they be at getting an author's books out there into the world where potential buyers will find them?

And it's not clear a shift to higher royalties means more money for authors, even if those royalties are quite high compared to what's standard for publishers who pay advances. Maybe for top selling titles, but I'm guessing that most small or boutique presses, whether print or digital only, sell a few hundred, or at most a couple thousand copies of each book, not tens of thousands.

I don't know about the Romance Writers of America, but some writers' professional associations only accept publishers as "membership qualifying markets" if they grant advances of a certain amount, regardless of how much sales revenue the book may generate. The SFWA recently voted to allow self published authors who've exceeded certain sales figures to be members, but they don't recognize writers who have signed contracts with royalty-only publishers, even if the royalty percentages are quite high.

amergina
01-15-2016, 05:36 AM
Erm... you do realize that post you're quoting from michael_b is six years old?

hsavage
02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Yay! Sent out the revised version to her. Now it's another waiting game >.< She sent me an email saying she was really excited to read the new version. I really want her because she seems so enthusiastic about my story, and I feel that really makes a difference in the editor/author relationship. Crossing my fingers!

Anna204
02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Yay! Sent out the revised version to her. Now it's another waiting game >.< She sent me an email saying she was really excited to read the new version. I really want her because she seems so enthusiastic about my story, and I feel that really makes a difference in the editor/author relationship. Crossing my fingers!

Good luck!!

hsavage
03-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Got my rejection on Friday :-( Feeling quite depressed about it.

Rebekkamaria
03-07-2016, 11:03 PM
^That is so sad. :( I'm sorry hsavage. :heart:

Anna204
03-08-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this. I've had a few rejections from Carina and I'm not quite sure what they are looking for. I know it's a letdown, but don't give up.

Filigree
03-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Four years ago, I couldn't figure out what they were looking for.

JustWonderin
03-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have info on response times?

Snowstorm
04-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have info on response times?

Hopefully, you've found the information. Their submission guidelines (http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/) state it's 12 weeks for "an editorial response" to a submission. On Feb. 20, I submitted to them. Their automated site shows my submission is "in-progress." No news is good news!

JustWonderin
04-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Hopefully, you've found the information. Their submission guidelines (http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/) state it's 12 weeks for "an editorial response" to a submission. On Feb. 20, I submitted to them. Their automated site shows my submission is "in-progress." No news is good news!

It took just over four months for my reply. My MS said In-Progress for about three of those months. I got a form rejection with absolutely no editorial notes. Just FYI.

Anna204
04-14-2016, 06:32 AM

I've had two rejections from them. The first was a form rejection and this was a few years ago, but I believe I got it within a month. The second was part of their pitch contest and that rejection came within a month. I did get some editorial notes that were helpful.

Laurasaurus
06-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Thought some people might be interested in reading about this. http://carinapress.com/blog/2016/06/our-summer-reading-isproposals/

Until July 13th they're accepting proposals on unfinished manuscripts. (3 chaps and a synopsis.)

BarbaraSheridan
06-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Thought some people might be interested in reading about this. http://carinapress.com/blog/2016/06/our-summer-reading-isproposals/

Until July 13th they're accepting proposals on unfinished manuscripts. (3 chaps and a synopsis.)

I just subbed a proposal for an M/M contemporary. How does M/M sell there? I'm so out of the M/M loop lately, it's sad.

Filigree
06-26-2016, 09:13 PM
In the past, they've had some great M/M books. I tried them twice: fantasy in 2011, M/M in 2012, form rejections. I never considered them further because of contract issues, but YMMV.

akaria
06-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Wow, this is amazing! I have a couple of WIP that would fit. Time to give Carina another try.

Filigree
06-27-2016, 03:16 AM
Look here (http://www.thepassivevoice.com/2013/03/an-interesting-email-from-carina-press/) first. For that matter, read the whole thread here.

BarbaraSheridan
06-27-2016, 04:12 AM
Look here (http://www.thepassivevoice.com/2013/03/an-interesting-email-from-carina-press/) first. For that matter, read the whole thread here.

Is it safe to assume that not much has changed pricing/percentage wise in the above passive Voice post from 2013?

akaria
06-27-2016, 05:08 AM
Took a look at some of their titles on Amazon. Pricing appears to be between 2.99 & 4.99. I'm more disappointed by the single note looking titles. Status Update, Radio Silenceand Out of Bounds all look very similar yet aren't by the same author or in the same series. More creativity please!

The paranormal titles seem to get the smaller review numbers, but their rankings aren't too bad. Like many other places, M/M is still hot. None of this looks good for my WIP. :(

Laurasaurus
07-15-2016, 01:23 AM
They've now extended that deadline for proposals to July 27th.

Zombie Fraggle
07-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know why Carina has decided to accept proposals for unfinished manuscripts? I could understand it more if it were limited to authors already published by them, but to accept work based on partials from authors unknown to them seems inherently risky.

Aggy B.
07-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know why Carina has decided to accept proposals for unfinished manuscripts? I could understand it more if it were limited to authors already published by them, but to accept work based on partials from authors unknown to them seems inherently risky.

They might be only accepting work on that basis from folks who have a publishing record.

Although it's unusual for publishers these days to offer a contract based on a proposal and sample chapters, it's not completely unheard of. Especially with folks who have other published work in the genre the publisher produces.

LJD
07-15-2016, 09:21 PM
They might be only accepting work on that basis from folks who have a publishing record.

There is no such requirement in this case. It's open to everyone. (Until July 27)

They're only accepting proposals for unfinished manuscripts for things on their wishlists. Maybe they're just trying really hard to get the sort of projects they most want to see?

ElaineA
07-15-2016, 09:27 PM
No, it's an open call. I can't really figure it out either. Maybe they want test guiding a story from start to finish in a way that brands it "Carina." Sort of the way Harlequin does. That's the only thing I can really think of. I don't think they're an imprint that's lacking submissions. :Shrug:

ETA, Laura beat me to it. And that's another good guess.

Pterofan
07-15-2016, 10:15 PM
They extended the deadline? Dang. I already had the chapters because I was going to sub to their shapeshifter antho, but went for this instead. I rushed the synopsis a bit so I could have it out by Wednesday. And now it's extended two weeks? Oy.

Oh well. Now I have time to put together a proper proposal for the story I was going to send to the SF antho. We'll see how that works out.

Aggy B.
07-15-2016, 10:41 PM
So, having an open call doesn't equal accepting proposals from unpublished authors. It just means they'll look at all of them. But I'd suspect they would be more inclined to make offers to folks who have an established record of finishing and selling books.

(And I say this based on past experience subbing non-romance centric MSs to Carina - because they say they publish stuff that isn't just romance driven - and then getting rejections that specifically mention that there are not enough romantic elements to interest them. They seem to want to hedge their bets by looking at everything, but still wind up focusing on smaller subsets.)

ElaineA
07-15-2016, 10:55 PM
So, having an open call doesn't equal accepting proposals from unpublished authors. It just means they'll look at all of them. But I'd suspect they would be more inclined to make offers to folks who have an established record of finishing and selling books.

Ah, that makes sense as a risk management strategy.

LJD
07-15-2016, 11:06 PM

Yeah, I have no idea how seriously they'll take these, but they have emphasized that they are interested in hearing from new writers.

(And I say this based on past experience subbing non-romance centric MSs to Carina - because they say they publish stuff that isn't just romance driven - and then getting rejections that specifically mention that there are not enough romantic elements to interest them. They seem to want to hedge their bets by looking at everything, but still wind up focusing on smaller subsets.)

They did (somewhat recently?) change their requirements for SFF. In the past they didn't require romantic elements for these submissions, but they do now. I don't know how many SFF books they ever published without romance. I believe mysteries don't require romance, though.

Aggy B.
07-16-2016, 12:25 AM
They did (somewhat recently?) change their requirements for SFF. In the past they didn't require romantic elements for these submissions, but they do now. I don't know how many SFF books they ever published without romance. I believe mysteries don't require romance, though.

I'd subbed to them several years ago. My books had romantic elements as part of the subplots, but were still rejected (in part) for not having enough romance. *shrugs* It could have been that the general personality of my female protagonists didn't read as having the right kind of romantic elements. (They tend to rescue themselves and sometimes the menfolk they are interested in, and, I've been told since then, that's a non-starter with romance oriented publishers. Obviously, YMMV.)

Filigree
07-16-2016, 01:36 AM
My SFF heroines either rescue themselves and their guys, or are firmly antiheroes. Definitely not good fodder for romance publishers.

Pterofan
07-16-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm writing more M/M these days. Are there rescue rules for that?

(BTW, Carina said on their blog they were interested in M/M)

Laurasaurus
07-16-2016, 07:14 PM
They do genuinely seem very interested in M/M. I think it's Angela James that keeps asking for a good, dark, step-brothers romance. (Which I really want to read!)

Deb Kinnard
07-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Wonder if it's due to the fact they may not these days get the volume of subs they once had? At a recent conference, an attendee reported that Harlequin's pitch appointments were not filled up, and HQ editors were standing in the hallways looking lonely. And Carina is a division of Harlequin, q.e.d....

Filigree
07-16-2016, 07:35 PM
To be honest, it's been a couple of years since I purchased a Carina book...and that was from a M/F author I already knew and liked. After trying Carina three times with different projects of my own, I basically gave up on them. Whatever it was they were looking for, my stuff didn't have it, multiple times.

So they're not really on my radar this submission round, with project #4. Everyone's mileage varies, of course.

zmethos
07-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Well, Harlequin did just settle that class action lawsuit with their authors, so maybe that explains why people haven't been pitching/querying/submitting to them? (And by extension, Carina?)

akaria
07-16-2016, 08:40 PM
I decided not to submit. Something doesn't feel right when a publisher puts out an open call for WIPs. I can't really articulate what it is. Just the spidey sense tingling. SP has made me even more hesitant about putting my work in the hands of someone else. After seeing what I can do on my own, a publisher really has to bring a lot to the table and prove they can move some books. While Carina looks like they are successful with M/M of all kinds, I don't think they can do much for my M/F paranormal.

Good luck to those who've answered the call though.

romancewriter
07-17-2016, 01:08 AM
I'm considering Carina for my current wip. I think as someone already pointed out that they're trying to fullfil their wishlists and putting out open calls and accepting proposals for a limited time is one way to go about it. I don't believe they'll offer contract based simply on proposal. They'll ask for more if they like it, and if someone can't produce a complete ms then they pass. That's my .02 anyway.

BarbaraSheridan
07-19-2016, 04:45 AM
Received my R today for the proposal call. I thought it was a good fit for the editor I chose (M/M contemporary). Clearly I thought wrong. :tongue
May those still waiting have better luck.

ccbridges
07-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear that! :( That's a really fast turnaround for them.

BarbaraSheridan
07-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Sorry to hear that! :( That's a really fast turnaround for them.

A super fast turnaround. Since they extended the deadline I was thinking of subbing an M/F historical that's a bit more than halfway done.

LA*78
07-20-2016, 07:39 AM

I'm only taking a guess, but usually around this time of year, Harlequin run their So You Think You Can Write contest. Last year, the winning novel was actually one pitched to, and subsequently published by, Carina Press.

This year, rather than running the single large contest, Harlequin have been running a series of 'blitzes' aimed at singular lines or concepts (eg. the current one is a call for stories featuring a Canadian hero). The Blitzes generally provide a period of time during which authors can submit a synopsis plus first 3 chapters. There is then a date provided by which entries will receive an editorial response. Not all blitzes are run the same, with some having multiple stages, and some having more editor involvement than others (with help discussions on the community forums etc).

My thought is that this open call is similar to what the other HQN lines are doing with their blitzes. It is not a guarantee they will take your full story if they like your proposal. It is just a foot in the door to see if what you're offering is in line with what they're looking for.

Received my R today for the proposal call. I thought it was a good fit for the editor I chose (M/M contemporary). Clearly I thought wrong. :tongue
May those still waiting have better luck.

Sorry about your R :(

Kweei
07-21-2016, 02:59 AM
I've been following this thread and wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with Carina? I know they keep changing their word count to move back to a lower threshold and that they have a proposal event going on, but what about the state of the company? I was considering subbing, considering what happened to Samhain, but I haven't heard much about Carina lately.

LA*78
07-21-2016, 03:47 AM
I've been following this thread and wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with Carina? I know they keep changing their word count to move back to a lower threshold and that they have a proposal event going on, but what about the state of the company? I was considering subbing, considering what happened to Samhain, but I haven't heard much about Carina lately.

Carina Press is owned by Harlequin, which is part of Harper Collins. So I can't imagine you would encounter the situation Samhain writers recently experienced.

Kweei
07-21-2016, 05:06 AM
Carina Press is owned by Harlequin, which is part of Harper Collins. So I can't imagine you would encounter the situation Samhain writers recently experienced.

Yeah, I should rephrase what I said because I wasn't clear. Samhain was on my short-list. So I was looking to see how Carina was because they were also one I was considering.

gingerwoman
08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I believe there was a clause that said that while they would look at proposals they reserved the right not to offer a contract until the manuscript was completed, so not the risky idea some were suggesting.

I don't think there's any mystery. A lot of romance authors are self publishing and it's harder to find the content they want, so they're trying to be encouraging in order to get the type of content they most desire.

Cassie Knight
08-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Hi! If anyone is in the Seattle/Bellevue area, Stephanie Doig and editor from Carina Press will be taking pitches at the Emerald City Writers' Conference. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://gsrwa.org/ecwc/conference/

It's in October. Also attending agent/editors are:

Nephele Tempest - The Knight Agency
Laura Zats - Red Sofa Literary
Nalini Akolekar - Spencerhill Associates
Tera Cuskaden - Entangled Publishing
Elle Keck - Avon/Harper Collins

The schedule's posted too so you can see the workshops we have planned.

If you are in the area and can attend, it's a good time to meet them and ask your burning questions of each agency/publishing house. :)

JustWonderin
08-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Any word from the proposal requests?!

Pterofan
08-23-2016, 08:02 PM
I looked at Submittable yesterday and mine is still "in progress." Good thing, because I got involved writing something else and haven't gotten back to the Carina ms. in a while. They did give a three-month/12 weeks time frame, so I'm not worried. Yet.

JustWonderin
08-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Okay good to know. My Carina MS has been pretty untouched as well. Thank you!

JustWonderin
08-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Scratch that. I got a full request today. Better get busy!

Zombie Fraggle
08-24-2016, 01:29 AM
Can anyone shed light on how long Carina generally takes from contract-signing to publication? I know there can be variables (e.g., spacing books with similar themes), but what's their typical timeline? Also, what kind of advertising do they do for each title, or is the brunt of marketing solely on the author?

ccbridges
08-24-2016, 01:54 AM
I received a full request as well. Writing like mad! ;)

JustWonderin
08-24-2016, 03:47 AM
I received a full request as well. Writing like mad! ;)

Congrats! Did your request say anything about time frames or anything interesting?!

ccbridges
08-25-2016, 05:25 AM
Congrats! Did your request say anything about time frames or anything interesting?!

I replied asking about that for clarification, and they told me six months.

JustWonderin
08-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing! You saved me from having to do the same!

akaria
08-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Cheers to those with acceptances! May the next six months be fruitful.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 05:49 PM

We're always trying new things with submissions, different submission drives, calls for certain things, offering feedback with submissions, pitch opportunities on social media and the blog. Part of being a publisher is trying to be adaptable to acquire new books and authors, so the proposal call was one of those ways. You're right that accepting work from authors we're unfamiliar with is risky--though I'd probably argue that publishing itself is risky! But in this case, the proposal call wasn't about accepting work on proposal, but about seeing it on proposal. In the call, we noted that we reserved the right to ask for more pages. For the most part, we actually found that people responding to the call already had their full manuscript written--but submitted a partial/proposal because this particular call for submissions is the one they saw!

We did have a great response to the call, we are acquiring several things from it, and we went back to about a dozen authors asking for more pages.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 05:51 PM

We changed our requirements about a year ago, maybe 18 months (time blurs!) We publish mystery without romance but otherwise, we are publishing romance and romance-driven stories across romance sub-genres.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm writing more M/M these days. Are there rescue rules for that?

(BTW, Carina said on their blog they were interested in M/M)

We are always interested in male/male and other LGBT but mostly m/m, because it is what we are most successful with.

No rescue rules (is that an actual term?) , but we don't like it when the dog dies, so try to avoid that ;)

Angela James
08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
They do genuinely seem very interested in M/M. I think it's Angela James that keeps asking for a good, dark, step-brothers romance. (Which I really want to read!)

Yes, please (still looking).

Angela James
08-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Wonder if it's due to the fact they may not these days get the volume of subs they once had? At a recent conference, an attendee reported that Harlequin's pitch appointments were not filled up, and HQ editors were standing in the hallways looking lonely. And Carina is a division of Harlequin, q.e.d....

Our submissions are actually up year over year over the last three years. But submission drives are an excellent way to spread word of mouth and get new authors submitting, so you will always see us doing them, and we *try* to think of new ways to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I decided not to submit. Something doesn't feel right when a publisher puts out an open call for WIPs. I can't really articulate what it is. Just the spidey sense tingling. SP has made me even more hesitant about putting my work in the hands of someone else. After seeing what I can do on my own, a publisher really has to bring a lot to the table and prove they can move some books. While Carina looks like they are successful with M/M of all kinds, I don't think they can do much for my M/F paranormal.

Good luck to those who've answered the call though.

I'm sorry to hear that, but our doors are open to submissions if you ever change your mind!

Angela James
08-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Can anyone shed light on how long Carina generally takes from contract-signing to publication? I know there can be variables (e.g., spacing books with similar themes), but what's their typical timeline? Also, what kind of advertising do they do for each title, or is the brunt of marketing solely on the author?

Contract to publication can be anywhere from 4 months to 12 months. Ideally, my sweet spot is about 6 months, because that gives time for editing, copy editing, proofreading, marketing and PR, and not rushing cover art. But we've crashed things into the schedule if an author wants to get it out quickly or we have an opening in the schedule. The longer time frame, 12 months, is generally because an author is acquired on proposal (most often via an agent) and the book needs to be written. Or they have other publication commitments to other publishers and want to hold off. We prefer to publish around the 6-9 month time frame, though, not to hold on to a book.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Sorry, I didn't answer the second part of the question. We do marketing and PR for every title and author. Some of it is dependent on author/book, of course, but we have a minimum level of support for every author, and it grows as backlist grows. Here's some examples of minimum support:

ˇ ARCs made available to a large network of reviewers via NetGalley
ˇ Titles offered to RT, PW, and other trade publications for review
ˇ Genre-appropriate blogger outreach
ˇ Opportunistic pitching and inclusion in Harlequin- wide PR efforts
ˇ Titles promoted on the Carina Press blog, individual genre pages
ˇ Titles promoted via our Facebook and Twitter accounts (crossover with Harlequin social media if appropriate)
ˇ Titles included in Carina Press newsletters
ˇ On-sale: featured placement on the CP.com homepage via banner ads

From there, our dedicated marketing and publicity staff treat each title individually, seeking and taking tailored opportunities and working on additional genre-based adverts, content opportunities, and price promotions as available.

When opportunities arise, we don't just look at "top" authors for them, we look across the schedule, to try and grow as many authors as possible. It's one of the reason we reduced our title count around 3 years ago, from 3-4/week to 1-2/week, to be able to better support individual titles and authors. That was probably one of the best things we did for the business all around, in the past few years.

Aggy B.
08-26-2016, 06:07 PM
We changed our requirements about a year ago, maybe 18 months (time blurs!) We publish mystery without romance but otherwise, we are publishing romance and romance-driven stories across romance sub-genres.

This was back in 2013. Well before the change in guidelines.

I will also point out that one of those MSs went through heavy revisions after I received an offer from an agent to rep it. However, much of the feedback from Carina focused on the fact that it didn't have enough romance for that editor's taste. Which was thoroughly frustrating because at the time y'all said you weren't looking specifically for romance. I would never have subbed either MS if y'all had been more forward about preferring romance. (One MS ends up with the protagonist dead. The other concludes with the protagonist and her lover separating for an unspecified length of time to deal with other plot-related complications. They don't fit romance tropes, although both are books that have romantic subplots.)

All of which is to say, I don't write Romance or its sub-genres. I write SF/F/H with romantic elements, so it quickly became clear that Carina was not an appropriate press for me because I don't write what y'all are looking for.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 06:10 PM
I think I've hit all of the questions that were out there in this thread. I tried not to interfere too much with the speculating and suppositions, but did try to clarify as much as possible w/out feeling like I was killing the conversation. I usually try to do a better job of coming in and answering questions regularly, but I slacked off over the summer. Please let me know if there's anything else anyone is curious about or any questions I missed.

Angela James
08-26-2016, 06:15 PM
This was back in 2013. Well before the change in guidelines.

I will also point out that one of those MSs went through heavy revisions after I received an offer from an agent to rep it. However, much of the feedback from Carina focused on the fact that it didn't have enough romance for that editor's taste. Which was thoroughly frustrating because at the time y'all said you weren't looking specifically for romance. I would never have subbed either MS if y'all had been more forward about preferring romance. (One MS ends up with the protagonist dead. The other concludes with the protagonist and her lover separating for an unspecified length of time to deal with other plot-related complications. They don't fit romance tropes, although both are books that have romantic subplots.)

All of which is to say, I don't write Romance or its sub-genres. I write SF/F/H with romantic elements, so it quickly became clear that Carina was not an appropriate press for me because I don't write what y'all are looking for.

Ah, I understand why you were frustrated. I certainly don't know your particular situation, but with publishing being so subjective, it does make it hard for us to say exactly how one thing will work and why another won't, we do try to give information on our website but it's not going to cover every scenario. I would say that having a protagonist die at the end or love interests be separated at the end of a book is a hard limit for anything we'd be hoping to sell to romance readers, since it does preclude us from selling it as romance, if an explanation several years later helps at all. Saying things need to have "romantic elements" leaves a lot of room for interpretation and subjectiveness and it sounds like we have a bit different idea of it than you might. That's what makes fiction publishing both great (variety!) and sometimes hard to navigate!

Zombie Fraggle
08-27-2016, 05:10 AM
We are always interested in male/male and other LGBT but mostly m/m, because it is what we are most successful with.

Thanks so much for popping in to respond to questions, Angela. I have two more, if you don't mind.

Question #1
At the end of the Spring 2016 What the Carina Press Editors Want blog post on your site, several of the taboo items are things I happen to write, namely:

1. real, unredeemable bad boys (M/M)
2. dark step-sibling romance (M/M)
3. dark, power-imbalance featuring older woman/younger man

My question concerns which editor(s) is looking for these sorts of stories, because that last part of the blog post is the only place than mentions these particular themes.

Question #2
Once an author is in your fold, do you ever accept previously published work from them?

Thanks again for showing up to answer questions!

She who must
11-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long the current response times are, I'm way past the twelve weeks

Pisco Sour
11-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Not sure re times, exactly, but my editor, Kerri Buckley, just had a baby and is on maternity leave and they've hired someone to help out with all things editorial. HTH.

She who must
11-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Thanks pisco, sweet of you to reply, and lovely news for your editor