PDA

View Full Version : Carina Press

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

ShannonStacey
03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Angela's on vacation this week so rejections may go out from individual editors, but she won't be calling anybody until at least next week.

K. Victoria Chase
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Aww, sorry to hear about the "R" Jennifer. Keep submitting! :)

Jennifer Robins
03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks, I will.
One of the problems I face is I write in 3rd person omniscient, at least that's what I think it is. Some publisher don't mind while others do. Reviews for my work have been good so I think I do all right with it.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com (http://www.jenniferrobins.com)

VanessaNorth
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks, I will.
One of the problems I face is I write in 3rd person omniscient, at least that's what I think it is. Some publisher don't mind while others do. Reviews for my work have been good so I think I do all right with it.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com (http://www.jenniferrobins.com)

Jennifer, that's actually one of the things Carina says they don't use as a criteria for rejection (link to the Carina blog here):

http://carinapress.com/blog/2011/03/things-we-dont-reject-books-for/

While it doesn't lessen the sting of rejection, you can put your mind at ease about that as a possible reason for it. :)

Wildflower90
03-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Sorry Jinx and Jennifer!! That sucks, but keep the hope alive. I'm sure someone else will love both of your stories.

Glad someone else is still in The Waiting Room :0)

Xirana
03-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Sorry about the R's. :(

I'm also still waiting ...

VanessaNorth
03-29-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm still in the waiting room on a submission from late January.... my spreadsheet says I'm about 8 weeks into the wait, so... I have a while to wait still.

LaneHeymont
03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
I'm still in the waiting room on a submission from late January.... my spreadsheet says I'm about 8 weeks into the wait, so... I have a while to wait still.

You ARE organized!

VanessaNorth
03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
You ARE organized!

I have paranoid geek down to a science ... but truly, keeping a spreadsheet of what's been submitted where and when to follow up makes being on sub. easier for me. I've never yet gone past the date that I would follow up with pub about a submission, but having the spreadsheet to know when to expect a reply is nice just in case.

Alley1958
03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear about the R's, Jinx and Jennifer. Don't give up. The next publisher you submit to could be the one!

Jennifer Robins
03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I suppose the story was just not one for her line. At least her email suggested that. I still maintain that rejects are a part of being an author so I don't let this bother me. Sure I'd like to have had an acceptance but I will sometime, with another press.
Good luck to all who wait.

Zoletti
04-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm at the five week mark. Does anyone know when the next edit report will be. That sounds like it would be fun to watch, and scary too.

Angela James
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm at the five week mark. Does anyone know when the next edit report will be. That sounds like it would be fun to watch, and scary too.

Probably not until May. After this week, I only have 3 days at my desk, outside of traveling! However, if you follow the hashtag, I do post snippets here and there, via Tumblr. And you still have the opportunity to read the sessions I've done before, via Storify.

Wildflower90
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Hmm, so, if Angela is away all this month, does that mean that nobody will hear any good news until May? Something to think about whilst twiddling your thumbs... :0P

Deb Kinnard
04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
It is written: Twiddle not, but goeth forth and write some new thing.

Amen. Ai haz spoke.

Wildflower90
04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
It is written: Twiddle not, but goeth forth and write some new thing.

Amen. Ai haz spoke.

Yes, wise one. As it has been decreed, so shall it be. I hear and obey :0)

Wildflower90
04-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Also, now at week 9 for one, and week 7 of the other MS...

Maybe I won't twiddle, just gnaw at my nails .... :0)

VanessaNorth
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Also, now at week 9 for one, and week 7 of the other MS...

Maybe I won't twiddle, just gnaw at my nails .... :0)

Awww, hang in there. I'm at 11 weeks on the novella I submitted in Jan, so I can certainly empathize!

Magda Sea
04-14-2012, 06:05 AM
I just recently thought of attempting to submit something official towards the romantic/erotica genre. Of course my first thought was of Harlequin simply because of its popularity but then I found Carina Press.

My attraction to Carina Press revolves around the fact that they accept same sex romances. I'm not strictly committed to that or anything but that's where interest lies currently.

But I was wondering if anyone could tell me which out of the two (Harlequin or Carina) has the bigger audience or the larger demand. In other words, which company would you recommend for a first attempt at publishing some work.

Deb Kinnard
04-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Carina is the e-publishing arm of Harlequin. At this writing, Harlequin, which releases primarily in print, has the larger audience. Six months from now, who can say?

I'd recommend looking at each branch's guidelines to see which line (Harlequin has quite a few, including "sweet" romances and lines for Christian fiction) might best suit your work. When you get a handle on which line or branch to which you wish to submit, follow the guidelines for that line to the letter. Then be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Wildflower90
04-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Just a bit of a wait.... :0P

Dee Carney
04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
My attraction to Carina Press revolves around the fact that they accept same sex romances. I'm not strictly committed to that or anything but that's where interest lies currently.
*Bold mine

I'd encourage you to do more research on publishers in general if the bolded part above is your basis for wanting to submit to Carina.

VanessaNorth
04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
*Bold mine

I'd encourage you to do more research on publishers in general if the bolded part above is your basis for wanting to submit to Carina.

I agree, although, Carina is awesome and is on my list of publishers with whom I would most like to work, most of the gay and lesbian fiction I read I have purchased from Samhain, Loose Id, or Ellora's Cave, and some from Siren too, I think--but not as many as from the others. I might have one or two titles purchased from Carina, but not many. (and I read hundreds of books per year).

VanessaNorth
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Just a bit of a wait.... :0P

Honestly, I don't think the wait with Carina is all that long. 14 weeks is the longest I've waited for a reply from them, and they ask for the full MS up front to minimize your wait time. They also don't require exclusive submission (though if you submit other places simultaneously, and someone else offers, you should contact the others to withdraw your MS from consideration, it's only polite.)

I had a partial out with another publisher for 12 weeks before they requested a full, and expect to wait at least that long again for a final answer.

VanessaNorth
04-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Also, just want to add, one of the things I like the most about Carina is the transparency of their acquisition process. Angela works really hard to make sure that authors understand how the process works. The edit reports, blog posts on acquisitions and behind the scenes, etc, provide a lot more insight than anything I *personally* have seen from other publishers. (speaking from personal experience only folks!)

JanDarby
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
The other thing to remember is that "Harlequin" is not ONE place to submit to, but at least a dozen of what you might consider "sub-publishers." Each of the lines is distinctly different, so a story that is right for ... oh, heck, I don't know the remaining category names any longer ... let's say for the Desire line isn't going to be right for the Intimate Moments line, and vice versa. And the readership is different. If I can't recall the category names, I surely can't recall the readership numbers, but I do know that there is a substantial difference in likely payout from line to line. I knew a Harlequin author once who went from writing for one of the lower-paying lines to the top-paying lines and was shocked by how much more she received for the latter.

Magda Sea
04-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks so much every one!

Quite a bit to think about. I realize that Harlequin isn't the only publisher of this nature out there - it's quite simply the only one I know at the moment. I was actually looking at their new Harlequin Nocturne line. I'll certainly take a look at other publishers though.

Any specific reason for this? I saw they also had an interesting niche section which included BDSM and love triangles.

Fae Sutherland
04-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks so much every one!

Quite a bit to think about. I realize that Harlequin isn't the only publisher of this nature out there - it's quite simply the only one I know at the moment. I was actually looking at their new Harlequin Nocturne line. I'll certainly take a look at other publishers though.

Be aware that Harlequin does not accept same-sex romances. Carina does. Different animals, though Carina is part of Harlequin.

Wildflower90
04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Honestly, I don't think the wait with Carina is all that long. 14 weeks is the longest I've waited for a reply from them, and they ask for the full MS up front to minimize your wait time. They also don't require exclusive submission (though if you submit other places simultaneously, and someone else offers, you should contact the others to withdraw your MS from consideration, it's only polite.)

I had a partial out with another publisher for 12 weeks before they requested a full, and expect to wait at least that long again for a final answer.

I know that Carina is the best out there with regards to response time. I've had similar experiences with lengthy wait times. I only meant that 14 weeks is still a long wait if you're impatient (like me!) and if you're used to agents who sometimes take only about 6/7 weeks. I'm happy to wait the 14-16 weeks if it's a positive reply :)

Captcha
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I know that Carina is the best out there with regards to response time. I've had similar experiences with lengthy wait times. I only meant that 14 weeks is still a long wait if you're impatient (like me!) and if you're used to agents who sometimes take only about 6/7 weeks. I'm happy to wait the 14-16 weeks if it's a positive reply :)

Carina's actually got one of the longest wait times in the e-pub world, from my experience. Carina and Samhain both take a long time. If they weren't Carina and Samhain, they'd have to do something about it or no one would sub there, but as it is, I think most of us figure they're worth the wait.

Most other e-pubs I've worked with get stuff back within 4-6 weeks at the longest. Obviously that's shorter if you've already worked with them.

LaneHeymont
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Carina's actually got one of the longest wait times in the e-pub world, from my experience. Carina and Samhain both take a long time. If they weren't Carina and Samhain, they'd have to do something about it or no one would sub there, but as it is, I think most of us figure they're worth the wait.

Most other e-pubs I've worked with get stuff back within 4-6 weeks at the longest. Obviously that's shorter if you've already worked with them.

Agreed. I'm not too familiar with Samhain, but I know Carina is a top tier place. Heck, just having Angela James at the helm speaks volumes!

Dee Carney
04-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Any specific reason for this? I saw they also had an interesting niche section which included BDSM and love triangles.

I'm published at a number of different houses as you can see below. I choose which house gets which story based on the house's reputation and/or whether or not I think the story would do well there. (Of course, this is *my* method. Go with whatever works for you.) I love, love, LOVE my editor at Carina, but in *my* opinion, Carina isn't known for m/m stories. Neither are they known for BDSM or love triangles. At least, to *me* they aren't known for those moreover other houses.

I'm looking to make the most money I can from one story, so I'm going to sell whatever m/m story I write (I don't) to the house that's known for producing quality m/m stories. (Hence, my comment about researching other publishers.)

Again. This is *my* method.

YMMV.

smlgr8
04-17-2012, 03:56 AM
What I know about their M/M stories is that Josh Lanyon (a very well known M/M author) had several stories there, as did a few other well known M/M authors. They recently had an M/M release week. Angela James also edited a recent M/M historical series by Ava March that seems to be selling quite well there. I think Carina wants to be known as a publisher who publishes a wide range of genres.

Fae Sutherland
04-17-2012, 05:06 AM
I love, love, LOVE my editor at Carina, but in *my* opinion, Carina isn't known for m/m stories. Neither are they known for BDSM or love triangles. At least, to *me* they aren't known for those moreover other houses.

I'm looking to make the most money I can from one story, so I'm going to sell whatever m/m story I write (I don't) to the house that's known for producing quality m/m stories. (Hence, my comment about researching other publishers.)

Again. This is *my* method.

YMMV.

Actually, I have a few novels with a very specifically M/M publisher and my Carina novel - in the same genre - FAR outsells that other publisher. My Carina novel also sells on par with my M/M work at another, predominantly M/M publisher.

I wouldn't say Carina is a go-to within the M/M readership yet, but they have some of the top names in M/M writing for them (Josh Lanyon, Erastes, Ava March, Charlie Cochrane, Alex Beecroft etc) and in terms of profits, in my case at least Carina has come up pretty equal. I'm happy to continue to work with them and enjoy doing so very much.

Just saying that if the reasoning is that Carina isn't known for M/M and it'd sell better somewhere more known for it, that hasn't been my experience at all. YMMV, of course.

Wildflower90
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
News? Or are we not hearing anything until May because Angela is travelling so much?

Eriador117
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Stil l waiting, Wildflower :)

Take care,
Annette

Wildflower90
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Poor you, it must be getting close to the max waiting limit for you? I expect your nails are now completely gone.

As for me, committed the usual mistake of going back through this thread and counting the number of weeks for people who recieved both acceptances and rejections. What I learned? You can't deduce anything from that. People were getting rejections at 14 weeks, and acceptances at 14. *shrugs* At 11 weeks on one, and soon-to-be 9 on the other sub, I guess I'll just have to accept my fate. Thinking about it as well, and I hold out more hope for the second sub than the first. So, the first response will 90% likely be a rejection but I've come to terms with that. What will be....etc. :0P

VanessaNorth
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm still waiting as well.

JinxVelox
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Crossing my fingers for those of you still waiting. :)

Kingson
04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Poor you, it must be getting close to the max waiting limit for you? I expect your nails are now completely gone.

People were getting rejections at 14 weeks, and acceptances at 14. *shrugs* At 11 weeks on one, and soon-to-be 9 on the other sub, I guess I'll just have to accept my fate. Thinking about it as well, and I hold out more hope for the second sub than the first. So, the first response will 90% likely be a rejection but I've come to terms with that. What will be....etc. :0P

I understand that rejection can arrive at 14 weeks, but it can also arrive a lot sooner. There has to be a reason to hold off rejection until week 14, and I have to believe the reason is that someone believes the sub has potential. Otherwise, why hang on to it?

Humor me, I'm going on week 10.

Silver-Midnight
04-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Crossing my fingers for those of you still waiting. :)

Same here. :)

VanessaNorth
04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I understand that rejection can arrive at 14 weeks, but it can also arrive a lot sooner. There has to be a reason to hold off rejection until week 14, and I have to believe the reason is that someone believes the sub has potential. Otherwise, why hang on to it?

Here's hoping you're one who gets a post ten week acceptance rather than R. :)

I'm at week 13, so about the same point as I was when I received the R for my first sub to Carina.

Kingson
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks V. Here's hoping you get an A this time.

VanessaNorth
04-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks V. Here's hoping you get an A this time.

Thanks! I'm cool with it either way. If it's rejected, I would actually like to expand the plot to a full length novel. :)

Wildflower90
04-29-2012, 01:23 AM

As I'm going on week 12, I'm right there with you, don't worry :0) I only used 14 weeks as an example! We'll see if I actually get that far!!

Sorin
04-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Good luck to everyone still waiting! I plan to sub to them again some day. Nothing like a little rejection to push me to try again when I have the right manuscript. Fingers crossed!

Eriador117
04-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Good luck everyone, hang in there :)

Cheryl Mackie
04-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking since January. I am a new author who is in limbo at Carina. I'm 9 weeks in and resisting the urge to eat everything in the fridge. I'm also very new at...well...all of this. The ms I sub'd is my first novel in a three part series and I really loved writing it. Carina was my first choice in e-pub so I went ahead and sub'd elsewhere first. I got some critique and improved my ms then went ahead and sub'd to carina. It's not the most polished work but I truly believe in the story and decided to let it go. Anyone think I made the wrong move? I read about letting a ms sit for some time and go back to the editing process but patience is not my strong suit. I guess time will tell. Any advice?

Captcha
04-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking since January. I am a new author who is in limbo at Carina. I'm 9 weeks in and resisting the urge to eat everything in the fridge. I'm also very new at...well...all of this. The ms I sub'd is my first novel in a three part series and I really loved writing it. Carina was my first choice in e-pub so I went ahead and sub'd elsewhere first. I got some critique and improved my ms then went ahead and sub'd to carina. It's not the most polished work but I truly believe in the story and decided to let it go. Anyone think I made the wrong move? I read about letting a ms sit for some time and go back to the editing process but patience is not my strong suit. I guess time will tell. Any advice?

Advice? Stop obsessing over this one and write something else. It'll keep you out of the fridge, hone your skills, and give you something new to sub!

In the future - yeah, I'd let your MS sit for a while, and I'd make sure it's as polished as possible before sending it off. But for this one... do what you can to forget about it. An acceptance will be a pleasant surprise, and a refusal won't sting much because you'll already be in the middle of your next, even better, story!

Cheryl Mackie
04-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks Captcha. I actually was knee deep in the second book in the series when I was told to stop writing the second book in the series until the first one is published. So, I began something new and I'm loving it. Thanks for the advice. I look forward to getting to know all of you as I learn how to navigate the waters of the cooler. :)

Filigree
04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
You'll learn more with every mms, so keep trying different things. Also, standalones may be easier to sell. Their contracts are certainly easier!
Happy de-lurking!

Zoletti
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
As I'm going on week 12, I'm right there with you, don't worry :0) I only used 14 weeks as an example! We'll see if I actually get that far!!
From reading through this thread I think they send out rejections in bunches. I'm at eight weeks myself.

VanessaNorth
05-02-2012, 03:49 AM
I don't know if any of you waiting are on sub for the sci-fi holiday anthology (I am), but it seems from Angela's remarks on twitter this afternoon that she is planning to make decisions this week.

So, it looks like the end to *my* wait is coming soon, one way or the other.

Cheryl Mackie
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Good Luck to everyone waiting. :)

Silver-Midnight
05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Good luck to everyone.

Wildflower90
05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I missed those remarks completely!! I think I've prepared myself for a rejection so bring it on! :0)

VanessaNorth
05-03-2012, 01:47 AM
I missed those remarks completely!! I think I've prepared myself for a rejection so bring it on! :0)

Are you waiting to hear re: scifi holiday too? Cool. :)

Heidi Belleau
05-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Two of my friends are waiting on word for the sci-fi anthology too. I am vicariously on pins and needles for them!

Silver-Midnight
05-03-2012, 04:07 AM
I don't know if any of you waiting are on sub for the sci-fi holiday anthology (I am), but it seems from Angela's remarks on twitter this afternoon that she is planning to make decisions this week.

Carina does anthologies?

VanessaNorth
05-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Carina does anthologies?

Usually by invite only, but they opened this one to everyone in a call for subs.

Silver-Midnight
05-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Usually by invite only, but they opened this one to everyone in a call for subs.

Oh okay. Thanks.

JustJas
05-03-2012, 05:05 AM

I follow Angela on twitter but I must have missed this one. She is quite prolific! I'm at 14 weeks for a romantic suspense and it's good to know the wait is coming to an end, whatever the decision! Good luck everyone who is playing the waiting game.

Wildflower90
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Are you waiting to hear re: scifi holiday too? Cool. :)

One of my subs was in response to a holiday call, but don't think it was a scifi holiday one! So, never mind, lol. Still, if she's responding to something hopefully that means that she'll be responding to other subs.

Deb Kinnard
05-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know anything about what Carina's royalty rates might be? Because I saw this post on Joe Konrath's (admittedly publisher-hating) blog and I got curious:

"The contract they offer their writers at the "digital first" imprint, Carina, is absolutely the worst of any of the e-pubs.

"All rights, seven years, and while originally they offered 15% of cover price for third party sales and 30% of cover for sales through their site, the NEW contract is 50% of the net on their site and 40% of the net on 3rd party. Sounds great...only they don't define net, and they reserve the right to make your book a freebie."

Bolding mine, 'cause it seems so low to me. Important part: iIs any of this true? It was posted by an Anonymous, so I don't know what its credibility might be.

Fae Sutherland
05-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Does anyone know anything about what Carina's royalty rates might be? Because I saw this post on Joe Konrath's (admittedly publisher-hating) blog and I got curious:

"The contract they offer their writers at the "digital first" imprint, Carina, is absolutely the worst of any of the e-pubs.

"All rights, seven years, and while originally they offered 15% of cover price for third party sales and 30% of cover for sales through their site, the NEW contract is 50% of the net on their site and 40% of the net on 3rd party. Sounds great...only they don't define net, and they reserve the right to make your book a freebie."

Bolding mine, 'cause it seems so low to me. Important part: iIs any of this true? It was posted by an Anonymous, so I don't know what its credibility might be.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the specifics of the Carina contract, but they do define Net in their contract as it pertains to royalties, I'll say that much. This person is incorrect on that point. As to the freebie part, again I'm not sure how into detail I can go, but I'll just say it's not as though Carina can just decide to indefinitely put your book up as a freebie. There are specific guidelines and notifications laid out in the contract regarding that as a promotional tool.

Sorry if that's vague, but I don't want to step on any toes in regards to sharing contract info.

Silver-Midnight
05-09-2012, 05:04 AM
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the specifics of the Carina contract, but they do define Net in their contract as it pertains to royalties, I'll say that much. This person is incorrect on that point. As to the freebie part, again I'm not sure how into detail I can go, but I'll just say it's not as though Carina can just decide to indefinitely put your book up as a freebie. There are specific guidelines and notifications laid out in the contract regarding that as a promotional tool.

Sorry if that's vague, but I don't want to step on any toes in regards to sharing contract info.

Thanks for sharing what you did though.

Alley1958
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Angela just tweeted that she's making calls today. Good luck to everyone who's waiting!

Wildflower90
05-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I just saw that! Did anyone hear??

Eriador117
05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm still waiting so far, don't know whether that's good or bad :)

Deb Kinnard
05-11-2012, 04:06 AM
I suppose if these supposed royalty figures are borne out in fact, waiting might be a good thing. Maybe, also, is a "no thanks."

I have no dog in this hunt. I'm not planning to sub to Carina or its parent company. I was appalled when I read what was posted on this admittedly nasty blog of Konrath's. But at no time did any author who knew the figures say the original poster did the math wrong, or lied, or anything of that nature.

Sheryl Nantus
05-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Angela James, along with other Carina Press people, worked in the e-pub industry before going to Carina. James, for example, worked for Samhain Publishing - which has a rather good reputation.

I doubt Carina Press is made up of nasty, 'orrible people looking to screw their authors.

Just a thought.

Deb Kinnard
05-11-2012, 04:57 AM
I hear what you're saying, Sheryl, but at no time did I diss the people at HQ or its fellow travelers. I merely said I was appalled at the apparent actual payment rate to the author. No, nothing personal about this, merely a terrible business model.

I'm probably naive, but I believe, all industry practice to the contrary, that the author should get the major share of the earnings on a book, not the French fry crumbs at the bottom of the bag.

I leave the personal vilification to Mr. Konrath, who apparently has never been wrong.

Wildflower90
05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm still waiting so far, don't know whether that's good or bad :)

Blimey, you must be gritting your teeth! How long has it been now, because it must be closing in on 16 weeks? If it's after, maybe think about sending a follow-up email? :D

Eriador117
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Blimey, you must be gritting your teeth! How long has it been now, because it must be closing in on 16 weeks? If it's after, maybe think about sending a follow-up email? :D

I might do that, I've just been over the sub. guidelines again and they said to send a follow-up email if you hadn't heard by the 16 weeks mark. I sent my MS back in mid-Jan, so it is either around 15 or 16 weeks. A bit worried that asking might mean a resounding no, but then it won't be the first rejection I've had, or the last I'm sure :)

Take care,
Annette

VanessaNorth
05-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm still waiting too. Hang in there, we'll all get an answer one way or the other fairly soon. :)

VanessaNorth
05-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Ha! just after i posted that I refreshed my email and there was the R. (which I was expecting)

So, onward. Good luck to those still waiting!

Wildflower90
05-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Sorry, Vanessa - that sucks! But like you say, onward and upward. You never know what's - to quote Pocahontas - just around the riverbend ;0)

Silver-Midnight
05-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Sorry for the R, Vanessa.

Xirana
05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear about the R, Vanessa. :( As you said, onward ...

Eriador117
05-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Sorry, Vanessa. Onward and upward. I'm still waiting.

Take care,
Annette

Captcha
05-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Does anyone have any experience/feedback with Carina's non-romance lines?

I have a m/m dystopian novel (or short series, the way things are going) that I had intended to self-publish, but now I'm thinking I'd like some professional advice on how to market it. The overall framework fits with romance, but I'm finding that I'm adding so much dystopian political intrigue that it's probably going to end up more like fiction with romantic elements. And some fairly explicit man-on-man sex.

I still may end up self-pubbing this (I need to stop chickening out and just TRY self-pubbing!), but I'd be interested in any feedback on Carina's non-romance lines, especially any sales numbers, if anyone has any.

Thanks for any help!

Mr Flibble
05-13-2012, 02:32 AM
My first novel with them wasn't romance (see the hot dude, left in my sig) More because of technicalities perhaps, but it wasn't a romance, even if there was a fair bit of romance in it.

I think the key is it has to appeal to romance readers (because you're appealing to romance readers with HQN)

However, many of their readers want romance (this is HQN after all) so that may be reflected i the figures (or may not - tbh, I don't know if mine - for that novel- are representative, soo....)

Eriador117
05-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I have read some of Carina's m/m books, don't worry about the explicitness, they accept it :)

Captcha
05-13-2012, 02:50 PM
If it were an m/m romance, I wouldn't worry at all - I'm just concerned that this seems to be more of a standard science fiction novel, the way things are going...

And science fiction has certainly historically been more accepting of gay content than other genres, so I'm not really worried about that, either...

But Carina is definitely thought of as a romance publisher, as this thread shows, so I'm wondering whether I'd get good sales from them (assuming acceptance of the novel, of course) for a science fiction book.

Kingson
05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Does an email from Carina equal rejection? Has anyone received an acceptance email?

Also, does anyone know if their mystery fiction is selling?

Alley1958
05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Does an email from Carina equal rejection? Has anyone received an acceptance email?

Also, does anyone know if their mystery fiction is selling?

In my case, Angela called me but got my voice mail and left a message. She followed up with an email. I think her standard procedure on acceptances is to try to connect with a phone call first.

dolores haze
05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
But Carina is definitely thought of as a romance publisher, as this thread shows, so I'm wondering whether I'd get good sales from them (assuming acceptance of the novel, of course) for a science fiction book.

I've read a fair amount, though not all, of Carina's SF offerings. I can only think of one, off the top of my head, that didn't have at least romantic elements (Shawn Kupfer's 47 Echo). You might want to check out KC Burn's stuff (M/M and skiffy) and the Contact: Infinite Futures blog (in my sig), which is the Carina SF and SFR authors' group blog.

Wildflower90
05-14-2012, 10:16 PM

I certainly hope so! I live in the UK, and can't quite picture her calling up my number :0) Not saying I'm going to get an acceptance, but there must be other authors who live abroad that got offered. Can I be really nosy and ask why? :0)

Sheryl Nantus
05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
In my case, Angela called me but got my voice mail and left a message. She followed up with an email. I think her standard procedure on acceptances is to try to connect with a phone call first.

Angela called me with my acceptance.

I babbled like a fool.

They still signed me, regardless.

:D

Mr Flibble
05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I certainly hope so! I live in the UK, and can't quite picture her calling up my number :0) Not saying I'm going to get an acceptance, but there must be other authors who live abroad that got offered. Can I be really nosy and ask why? :0)

I received my acceptances by email (in fact the first one got swallowed by the intertubes and Angela had to email me again asking if I'd considered the offer)

hillaryjacques
05-15-2012, 12:37 AM
I missed Angela's call. This may have been a good thing. (see Sheryl's answer, above) :D Received an emailed offer within about an hour.

Filigree
05-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm so happy for you guys!

Angela James
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone! I'm planning on doing an #editreport this week, and also seeing about catching up our backlog of submissions that need responses (I'm sorry to say that this generally means a lot of Rs will be going out :( )

But I also have some acquisition calls to make this week as well!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Eriador117
05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
and also seeing about catching up our backlog of submissions that need responses (I'm sorry to say that this generally means a lot of Rs will be going out :( )

But I also have some acquisition calls to make this week as well!

*bites nails nervously*

Thank you, Angela.

Willowwriter
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Angela. Is the response time still running about 16 weeks for subs?

Angela James
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Angela. Is the response time still running about 16 weeks for subs?

Yes, for the most part, 12-16 weeks. I have an assistant starting in mid-June, so we should be able to shave some of this time off in some cases.

VanessaNorth
05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Congrats Hilary!

Wildflower90
05-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, can only speak for myself but until I get my rejection - and possibly after! - I think I'll deprive myself of the paranoid delights of the #editreport. Have a feeling I'd curl up in a corner, rocking back and forth!! :0) But good luck to everyone over the next few days!

Willowwriter
05-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Well, can only speak for myself but until I get my rejection - and possibly after! - I think I'll deprive myself of the paranoid delights of the #editreport. Have a feeling I'd curl up in a corner, rocking back and forth!! :0) But good luck to everyone over the next few days!

How many weeks are you at, Wildflower?

JustJas
05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm 16 weeks tomorrow for a romantic suspense novella. I'm expecting that R in my inbox any time now. I've submitted a couple of times with Carina and have usually heard back by now but they must have a bit of a backlog.

Although I find Angela's report scary, it's also very educational. At this stage with my own submission I think the writing is on the wall, but I hope there is some good news on the way for all of you still waiting.

Wildflower90
05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
How many weeks are you at, Wildflower?

14 weeks for one sub, almost 12 on another :0) I am not holding out much hope for the first, but really hopeful for the second!! How about you?

Wildflower90
05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Man, I'm a sucker for punishment. I know I must be because here I am, about to watch #editreport as it rolls out. I have to wonder, am I the only one who analyses each snippet and tries to fit it to my MS? (Yes, I am that insecure lol)

ccbridges
05-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Nope, you're not the only one:)

Sheryl Nantus
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
As you may have seen on #editreport... Carina Press has acquired the sequel to "Blood of the Pride", tentatively scheduled for March 2013!

*does happy dance*

Congrats to all the other excellent writers who got the good news as well!

*hands out cabana boys and chocolate*

Eriador117
05-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Congrats, Sheryl :)

I'm still waiting at the moment.

Zoletti
05-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Well a couple of those could be mine, now just waiting for the R.

Silver-Midnight
05-18-2012, 03:25 AM
As you may have seen on #editreport... Carina Press has acquired the sequel to "Blood of the Pride", tentatively scheduled for March 2013!

*does happy dance*

Congrats to all the other excellent writers who got the good news as well!

*hands out cabana boys and chocolate*

Congrats!

Well a couple of those could be mine, now just waiting for the R.
Sorry for the R.

Skibone21
05-18-2012, 06:00 AM
After reading through the edit report it seems as if the majority of people would like to hear why they were rejected. Like 99%. Don't know why anyone would get "snarky" about the rejection as it's just an editor/agent's opinion of their work.

As for learning a lot on why mss are getting rejected is cool and all, but I'm not sure how much it can help someone that still can't figure out if their voice is bad or they're rushing or their character's aren't developing unless they're told that through the rejection personally. Good thing I'm only at two weeks I couldn't be on the chopping block already could i? :)

JustJas
05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
After reading through the edit report it seems as if the majority of people would like to hear why they were rejected. Like 99%. Don't know why anyone would get "snarky" about the rejection as it's just an editor/agent's opinion of their work.

As for learning a lot on why mss are getting rejected is cool and all, but I'm not sure how much it can help someone that still can't figure out if their voice is bad or they're rushing or their character's aren't developing unless they're told that through the rejection personally. Good thing I'm only at two weeks I couldn't be on the chopping block already could i? :)

The good thing about Angela's anonymous report is that it makes you really take a close look at your manuscript again from many angles and think of ways it could be improved....I agree, though, feedback would be great, but I do see why publishers are reluctant to do this when they are met with snarkiness from so many. It's difficult to hear the truth, but it's the only way to improve. Unfortunately the snarks ruin it for all of us.

Angela James
05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
The kind of replies we get to personal rejections is only one reason for not doing them. The other is the tremendous amount of time and effort they take (at least--at LEAST five minutes per submission. Now multiply that times thousands of submissions per year). Most places just don't have those kind of resources, whether time, money or manpower, to dedicate to something that has minimal effect on the gain/growth of a company.

Because I know personal rejections aren't possible for us, I decided to implement editreport as a way to reach and potentially help a larger group of authors, with a much smaller time commitment (though it does take at least 3 hours out of my day each time I do it, which is why I'm unable to do them more frequently). It's the same idea as my self-editing workshop--everything I teach isn't going to apply to you, but it's helpful to see some of the things being said, because you start to see a pattern and realize things that you need to be alert for!

StirtheStars
05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Angela,

Have those responses you mentioned earlier in the week gone out yet?

I only ask because my submission is quite a few weeks past 16, and the email I sent 2 weeks ago hasn't been answered yet. Getting a little anxious that I've been lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Thanks for posting updates and answering questions here & on Twitter! It's great you take time to do so.

Cheryl Mackie
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
I, for one, feel the edit report is a very valuable tool. It may not be for everyone or apply to everything, but since I'm quite new at this I feel grateful to view the feedback from rejected manuscripts. Not only does it help you take a different view of your work, but I feel many of us can use it to improve our stories or apply to new works. Bravo Carina Press. It's a wonderful way to reach out and assist an author who desires improvement, especially a new one. (like me)

Good luck to those still waiting.

Filigree
05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Now that I don't have a dog in this race, I can look back over the #editreports with an objective eye. Interesting range of rejection / acceptance reasons!

Angela James
05-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Angela,

Have those responses you mentioned earlier in the week gone out yet?

I only ask because my submission is quite a few weeks past 16, and the email I sent 2 weeks ago hasn't been answered yet. Getting a little anxious that I've been lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Thanks for posting updates and answering questions here & on Twitter! It's great you take time to do so.

They haven't. I've just been going through the other half of reports this morning. I wouldn't get too anxious until end of next week. I also have a few acquisitions calls to make next week as well.

StirtheStars
05-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for responding!

Eriador117
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
They haven't. I've just been going through the other half of reports this morning. I wouldn't get too anxious until end of next week. I also have a few acquisitions calls to make next week as well.

*continues to bite nails* :)

Thanks, Angela.

Skibone21
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
The kind of replies we get to personal rejections is only one reason for not doing them. The other is the tremendous amount of time and effort they take (at least--at LEAST five minutes per submission. Now multiply that times thousands of submissions per year). Most places just don't have those kind of resources, whether time, money or manpower, to dedicate to something that has minimal effect on the gain/growth of a company.

Because I know personal rejections aren't possible for us, I decided to implement editreport as a way to reach and potentially help a larger group of authors, with a much smaller time commitment (though it does take at least 3 hours out of my day each time I do it, which is why I'm unable to do them more frequently). It's the same idea as my self-editing workshop--everything I teach isn't going to apply to you, but it's helpful to see some of the things being said, because you start to see a pattern and realize things that you need to be alert for!

You've gone way beyond your call of duty as it is I guess I'm just a little greedy :)

Skibone21
05-18-2012, 10:15 PM
The good thing about Angela's anonymous report is that it makes you really take a close look at your manuscript again from many angles and think of ways it could be improved....I agree, though, feedback would be great, but I do see why publishers are reluctant to do this when they are met with snarkiness from so many. It's difficult to hear the truth, but it's the only way to improve. Unfortunately the snarks ruin it for all of us.

If there was a way to check a box on submission that would remove your anonymity in the edit report would any of you check it?

And noooo Angela I'm not calling for an overhaul of your report I'd just like to see how many people would go through the public critique to get some feedback.

Willowwriter
05-19-2012, 12:03 AM
14 weeks for one sub, almost 12 on another :0) I am not holding out much hope for the first, but really hopeful for the second!! How about you?

Hi, Wildflower. I have a bit of a wait ahead. I'm only around seven weeks. Good luck!

Xirana
05-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm at 14 weeks too - expecting the inevitable "R" (not to be a pessimist), but with this being my first novel I expect to continue to hone my writing skills through practice and review of helpful resources like the editreport. I'm much too impatient to learn by trial and error alone. :eek:

I find it uplifting to hear of those who gain acceptances - congrats by the way! Always great news! For those still waiting - good luck! :Thumbs:

JustJas
05-19-2012, 04:52 AM
If there was a way to check a box on submission that would remove your anonymity in the edit report would any of you check it?

And noooo Angela I'm not calling for an overhaul of your report I'd just like to see how many people would go through the public critique to get some feedback.

Yes for me. I'm guessing many would agree to this but then complain and snark about the feedback.

VanessaNorth
05-19-2012, 05:16 AM

Heck no--would you really want your MS publicly tied to a negative critique viewed by thousands of people in the publishing industry and then archived for perpetuity?

Manuscripts can be edited. A public image is much harder to re-write.

Edited to add: Edit report is awesome and useful. It's anonymity is integral to its usefulness.

Skibone21
05-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Heck no--would you really want your MS publicly tied to a negative critique viewed by thousands of people in the publishing industry and then archived for perpetuity?

Manuscripts can be edited. A public image is much harder to re-write.

Edited to add: Edit report is awesome and useful. It's anonymity is integral to its usefulness.

I guess it depends what stage you're at in the process. If you've gone a year without a word as to why you're not getting your foot in the door then it may be the only way to get some feedback. To me it's the same as the query shark tearing into your query in front of the same crowd. But, she to, gets those snarky remarks and people ask her to take them down.

Skibone21
05-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Yes for me. I'm guessing many would agree to this but then complain and snark about the feedback.

You're probably right.

htrent
05-19-2012, 07:33 AM
I guess it depends what stage you're at in the process. If you've gone a year without a word as to why you're not getting your foot in the door then it may be the only way to get some feedback.

Slightly OT, but have you tried querying smaller presses? I find that I get pretty useful feedback about 80% of the time when I submit to those.

Skibone21
05-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Slightly OT, but have you tried querying smaller presses? I find that I get pretty useful feedback about 80% of the time when I submit to those.

Just began that recently, so hopefully I'll get some useful feedback one way or another.

Angela James
05-19-2012, 05:07 PM

I contemplated doing something like this as a "fun" exercise (giving people the opportunity to submit for personal feedback type of thing) but I never got as far as figuring out logistics of it. I'd have to do some type of limited offer, ie first 10 to respond or something, and also set out some other guidelines. I'll think more on it, and see what I can come up with in the next few months!

Wildflower90
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Anyone heard back this week? Angela affirmed on Twitter that some acquisition calls/emails are going out over the next few days! (Commence nail biting lol)

Wildflower90
05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Got both R's today :0( But Angela did include some of the comments from the reports - some lovely and some helpful stuff to work on. Very disappointed but have been invited to submit again with future subs. Good luck to everyone else!!

Willowwriter
05-23-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry Wildflower. At least you got comments though!

StirtheStars
05-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Wow, Wildflower. Treat those comments like gold! Today I hit the 23 week wait on my MS and got a form R.

Willowwriter
05-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Angela just tweeted that she has sent over 100 R's and has 100 more to go.....

Cheryl Mackie
05-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Got my R too. Does anyone know if the form rejection says the acquisitions department reviewed the full ms? I was wondering if my ms made it that far or is this just the standard R form.

Willowwriter
05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Cherrie: I've gotten a form R before and it said that...sorry:(

Silver-Midnight
05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Sorry for all of the R's everyone. :(

Xirana
05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear about all the Rs - I received mine as well. Oh well. Onward, right?

Eriador117
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Sorry about the Rs everyone, I haven't heard anything yet but I suspect it'll probably an R in the next round. Oh, well.

K. Victoria Chase
05-23-2012, 03:00 PM
So sorry to hear about the Rs. Press forward! :-)

JustJas
05-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Sorry about the Rs everyone, I haven't heard anything yet but I suspect it'll probably an R in the next round. Oh, well.

I'm in the same boat as you. Feels a bit like having a bandaid pulled off very slowly. :)

Eriador117
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Feels a bit like having a bandaid pulled off very slowly. :)

Definitely! I don't think I have any nerves left ;)

Cheryl Mackie
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry about all the R's. I too received mine the first go round. Ever since sending my ms I didn't open it (as I'm working on something else) After the R, I read my ms for the first time in months. OMG! I sighed about 12 times, I winced about ten and rolled my eyes about fifty times! Argh!!!!! What would possess me to send that ms? Has this happened to anyone before? Are we that close to our own ms that we cannot see the flaws immediately? How long do you wait before going back and reading through your ms after your final edit? One month? Two? I decided mine needed a total rewrite of the first three chapters.... How could I be so blind?

Sheryl Nantus
05-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry about all the R's. I too received mine the first go round. Ever since sending my ms I didn't open it (as I'm working on something else) After the R, I read my ms for the first time in months. OMG! I sighed about 12 times, I winced about ten and rolled my eyes about fifty times! Argh!!!!! What would possess me to send that ms? Has this happened to anyone before? Are we that close to our own ms that we cannot see the flaws immediately? How long do you wait before going back and reading through your ms after your final edit? One month? Two? I decided mine needed a total rewrite of the first three chapters.... How could I be so blind?

But that's a Good Thing, in a way. If you can see a way to improve your work then you're becoming a better writer.

I always wince when I look at my older work because I see ways to make it better, sharper, more coherent. If you're not moving forward to improve your craft... where are you going?

Sorry for the rejection but I think it's great that you're able to assess your manuscript with a critical eye towards improving it.

:)

Cheryl Mackie
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your wisdom Sheryl. I believe the changes I've made so far have improved the ms already.

I was curious to know if others let their ms sit and for how long before going back to reread and then submit. Does anyone have a set amount of time or do you go with your gut. (see where my gut got me? A big fat R.)

akaria
05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I submitted a novella last summer, got an R and didn't look at it again until March. I worked on some other things and coming back to this piece was a real eye opener. The story seems to have outgrown it's humble novella roots and blossomed into a full novel. I don't suggest leaving something on the back burner for eight months but MS do need time to breathe. It kinda is a gut thing. Everyone's gonna be different. I know. Helpful right? ;)

VanessaNorth
05-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your wisdom Sheryl. I believe the changes I've made so far have improved the ms already.

I was curious to know if others let their ms sit and for how long before going back to reread and then submit. Does anyone have a set amount of time or do you go with your gut. (see where my gut got me? A big fat R.)

I used to submit stuff notlong after finishing a couple of rounds of revision. Now i wait a week before touching a first draft and doing revisions. Then i send to beta readers. Revise again after feedback, then i sit for another week or two and read before submitting.

Also, now that i've been through an entire formal editing process on a book, i am MUCH better at self-editing. Some stylistic things i was just flat out ignorant about are now important parts of my revision process. (adverb removal is one)

But even a flawless manuscript is not protection against a rejection. A story can be good, even great, and not be a good fit for a publisher. Just keep polishing, take crit from your beta readers, etc, and keep looking for a good home for it.

Cheryl Mackie
05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Thank for the pointers. I will follow the much needed advice and find out what works for me. This site and my fellow writers have been a blessing. Thanks again for taking the time to offer your expertise.

JustJas
05-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone who expected to get a response about their ms in this round is still waiting? From Angela's comments on twitter it seems she's contacted everyone already. Hoping the email to me hasn't gone missing in cyberspace.

Anyone else in the same boat? I sent mine 17 weeks ago.

Skibone21
05-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone who expected to get a response about their ms in this round is still waiting? From Angela's comments on twitter it seems she's contacted everyone already. Hoping the email to me hasn't gone missing in cyberspace.

Anyone else in the same boat? I sent mine 17 weeks ago.

I know waiting sucks but maybe it's a good thing and it's still under heavy consideration :)

JustJas
05-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I know waiting sucks but maybe it's a good thing and it's still under heavy consideration :)

That's a postive way of looking at it. Thanks Skibone!

Eriador117
05-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm around the 17 mark as well, still waiting to hear :)

JustJas
05-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm around the 17 mark as well, still waiting to hear :)

I was wondering about you Eriador. Good to know I'm not the only one at 17 weeks! Have you nudged yet? I sent an email last week. Hopefully we'll both hear something soon.

Eriador117
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
I was wondering about you Eriador. Good to know I'm not the only one at 17 weeks! Have you nudged yet? I sent an email last week. Hopefully we'll both hear something soon.

Yes, I sent an email last week, still haven't heard anything yet. If I bit my nails I don't think I'd have any left by now ;)

JustJas
06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Yes, I sent an email last week, still haven't heard anything yet. If I bit my nails I don't think I'd have any left by now ;)

I got an email yesterday letting me know it was still being considered, so yours must be in the same pile. Let the nail biting continue! (on my part anyway)

Eriador117
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I got an email yesterday letting me know it was still being considered, so yours must be in the same pile. Let the nail biting continue! (on my part anyway)

Good luck with it :)

JustJas
06-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Good luck with it :)

You too! Angela said in the email I would hear back from them around the middle of June so hopefully it will be the same for you. I have my fingers crossed for both of us :)

Christyp
06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
I got an email tonight saying the loved the book, loved the heroine, etc but would like to see some revisions. If I decide to do the revisions, they would very much like to see it again. That's a good sign, right?

amergina
06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
I got an email tonight saying the loved the book, loved the heroine, etc but would like to see some revisions. If I decide to do the revisions, they would very much like to see it again. That's a good sign, right?

YES. :D

Silver-Midnight
06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

That's a very good sign. Good luck!! :D

Eriador117
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Yes, mine was a revise and resubmit too, I think there was also something on their blog that an R&R wasn't a rejection :)

Fae Sutherland
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM

VERY good sign. My first sale to them was an R&R initially. Congrats and good luck on your revisions. It's totally worth the work, I promise! :)

dolores haze
06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
My second sale to Carina was an R&R. Best of luck!

Eriador117
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Anybody heard anything lately?

Take care,
Annette

ccbridges
06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Apparently Angela James will be doing an #editreport this afternoon on twitter.

(I'm at 14 weeks. Alas I'm pretty sure it's going to be a rejection. I can see the flaws NOW.)

MaraudingDon
06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Apparently Angela James will be doing an #editreport this afternoon on twitter.

(I'm at 14 weeks. Alas I'm pretty sure it's going to be a rejection. I can see the flaws NOW.)

Good luck! And don't worry about "flaws", I'm sure even Rowling sees flaws after she has published.

A writer is never happy. It is proof you are a writer!

JustJas
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Yes, mine was a revise and resubmit too, I think there was also something on their blog that an R&R wasn't a rejection :)

Congratulations, that's awesome! Mine was an R as expected, but the fact that it was under consideration for so long gives me hope that I came close this time.

An R&R is most definitely not a rejection.

K. Victoria Chase
06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Awesome sign! Good luck on your decision. :-)

Eriador117
06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Congratulations, that's awesome! Mine was an R as expected, but the fact that it was under consideration for so long gives me hope that I came close this time.

An R&R is most definitely not a rejection.

Bit early for the congrats yet, I still haven't heard back on my R&R :)

I don't know whether to read the editreport or not, it might be too scary, LOL!

Take care,
Annette

ccbridges
06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
And it looks like twitter is down, so we'll have to wait to torture ourselves with another #editreport:)

(Thanks for the kind words, MaraudingDon. I think it's always a little bit of torture to wait and hear what someone else thinks of a manuscript.)

JustJas
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Bit early for the congrats yet, I still haven't heard back on my R&R :)

I don't know whether to read the editreport or not, it might be too scary, LOL!

Take care,
Annette

I beg to differ. An R&R shows that your writing is of a high enough standard for Carina to seriously consider your manuscript. Definitely worthy of congratulations IMO!;)

Eriador117
06-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I beg to differ. An R&R shows that your writing is of a high enough standard for Carina to seriously consider your manuscript. Definitely worthy of congratulations IMO!;)

It's just a case of wait and see now, I suppose.

Take care,
Annette

VanessaNorth
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
hey y'all Angela is doing an edit report ... I'm not on sub, so I'm sitting back and taking notes. :)

Eriador117
06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
hey y'all Angela is doing an edit report ... I'm not on sub, so I'm sitting back and taking notes. :)

From the feed last night (but I couldn't find it again today, LOL!) - "with the exception of about 10 submissions, we'd answered everything submitted pre-May."
So that must mean I'm one of those ten, as I still haven't heard anything yet and I subbed back in Jan. I'm about ready to tear my hair out ;)

Take care,
Annette

Angela James
06-26-2012, 04:43 PM
From the feed last night (but I couldn't find it again today, LOL!) - "with the exception of about 10 submissions, we'd answered everything submitted pre-May."

So that must mean I'm one of those ten, as I still haven't heard anything yet and I subbed back in Jan. I'm about ready to tear my hair out ;)

Take care,
Annette

Don't do that! I'll have a look for your submission today!

Eriador117
06-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Don't do that! I'll have a look for your submission today!

Thank you, Angela :)

It's subbed as Annette Gisby.

Take care,
Annette

Eriador117
06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I got a rejection today from Carina. A personal one rather than form. I'll leave the book on the shelf for a while and take it down to dust it off and hopefully improve it a bit. I am disappointed, I really liked Carina. But, that's the way things go sometimes, isn't it? :(

K. Victoria Chase
06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I got a rejection today from Carina. A personal one rather than form. I'll leave the book on the shelf for a while and take it down to dust it off and hopefully improve it a bit. I am disappointed, I really liked Carina. But, that's the way things go sometimes, isn't it? :(

Sorry about the R, Eriador! You'll find a home for work. :-)

Silver-Midnight
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Aww. :( I'm sorry for the R.

greeneyes
06-28-2012, 09:27 PM

I'm sorry about the R, especially since you wanted to work with Carina. Hopefully you can take a little comfort in the fact that you got a personal R rather than form. I think I read somewhere, either here or the Carina or eharlequin sites, that personal R's are rare, so your work was good enough to merit some attention.

Eriador117
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone.

Filigree
06-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Getting a personal rejection from Carina is fairly rare, so be proud. Getting one that invites you to send your next project is even better. You'll do fine.

Christyp
07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
For those who did the R&R, how long did it take for them to get back to you? I'm getting a little nervous now that Eriador got an R!

Fae Sutherland
07-02-2012, 08:30 AM
For those who did the R&R, how long did it take for them to get back to you? I'm getting a little nervous now that Eriador got an R!

I think it was around 6 weeks for me on the R&R.

Eriador117
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, I think it was around six weeks for me too when I originally got the R&R

shameless
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
If you have subs out right now, please be patient. Not only is Angela James on vacation, so are some editors and office staff. Trust me, Carina is worth the wait!

Good luck!! :Hug2:

Christyp
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
If you have subs out right now, please be patient. Not only is Angela James on vacation, so are some editors and office staff. Trust me, Carina is worth the wait!

Good luck!! :Hug2:

I'm trying to be patient. Just wasn't sure how long I should give it before hanging my head. lol

Thanks for the luck!

shameless
07-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm trying to be patient. Just wasn't sure how long I should give it before hanging my head. lol

Thanks for the luck!

Give it until they reject. And NEVER hang your head. EVER. It take guts galore to put your work out there. You should be proud! :Hug2:

Silver-Midnight
07-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the luck!

Sending you more good luck!! :D :Hug2:

Chumplet
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Sent off a submission package to Angela for The Toast Bitches. Might as well keep the girls circulating!

dolores haze
07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Boomerang Bride by Fiona Lowe won Carina's first RITA last night. It's a delightfully funny and touching contemporary romance. Digital publishing has come a long way!

Filigree
07-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Wow, that is a milestone. Thanks for posting!

JanDarby
07-29-2012, 06:59 PM
That's great news!

AuburnAssassin
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Boomerang Bride by Fiona Lowe won Carina's first RITA last night. It's a delightfully funny and touching contemporary romance. Digital publishing has come a long way!

I saw that (and our own JOB's RITA win!) and did my fair share of cheering in the aisles. Between the Lowe/Carina/all e-publishing win and Stephanie Lauren's keynote speech the first day, RWA is slowly moving forward.

Silver-Midnight
07-31-2012, 01:43 AM

That's awesome!!

Filigree
07-31-2012, 02:52 AM
People who haven't been watching for a while don't know how big a deal this is. The RWA was for many years *notoriously* against e-publishing.

greeneyes
07-31-2012, 03:04 AM
People who haven't been watching for a while don't know how big a deal this is. The RWA was for many years *notoriously* against e-publishing.

I'm a relative newbie so thanks for adding this context.

Filigree
07-31-2012, 05:30 AM
There are real old-timers here who could tell you unbelievable stories. What little I know, I've got from lurking on the RWA fringes since around 2008.

jennontheisland
07-31-2012, 05:34 AM
And staunchly supporting Harlequin, even in the face of opening a vanity press.

It is absolutely no surprise that the only way the RWA is willing to acknowledge epublishing is when Harlequin does it.

smlgr8
07-31-2012, 05:44 AM
And staunchly supporting Harlequin, even in the face of opening a vanity press.

It is absolutely no surprise that the only way the RWA is willing to acknowledge epublishing is when Harlequin does it.

My thoughts exactly

Al Stevens
08-08-2012, 04:27 AM

Still patiently waiting. Submitted on 4/22. The 16 weeks has a few days to go.

Silver-Midnight
08-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Still patiently waiting. Submitted on 4/22. The 16 weeks has a few days to go.
Good luck. :D

Christyp
08-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, after a requested R&R received the dreaded rejection. Oh well, onward march!

Captcha
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Well, after a requested R&R received the dreaded rejection. Oh well, onward march!

Hopefully the R&R was useful, though, if you've gotten a better book out of it!

Think of it as free editing! Take it and run!

Christyp
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Hopefully the R&R was useful, though, if you've gotten a better book out of it!

Think of it as free editing! Take it and run!

That's how I'm looking at it. The suggestions definitely made the book stronger and made me feel like doing a total facepalm for not seeing it before!

CaPooF
08-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Any more info on sales? I'm thinking about submitting to them, and I'd like to know what authors are making, on the average (I know it varies widely from one book to the next, but still... any info would be good).

Al Stevens
08-25-2012, 06:01 AM
When my 16 weeks expired without any response (other than the automatic one at time of submission, the one that asks for 16 weeks), I sent an email withdrawing my submission. No response to that either. Oh well.

JMC2009
08-25-2012, 06:41 AM
When my 16 weeks expired without any response (other than the automatic one at time of submission, the one that asks for 16 weeks), I sent an email withdrawing my submission. No response to that either. Oh well.

What sort of response were you wanting when you withdrew and how long ago was that?

Did you ask where your submission was in their queue prior to withdrawing?

I need to read the whole thread yet, but I'm curious what led you to withdra at the exact upper limit of their timeframe. They allow simultaneous submissions - was there someone else you had in mind that doesn't?

Al Stevens
08-25-2012, 07:03 AM
What sort of response were you wanting when you withdrew and how long ago was that?
I'd have considered whatever they had to say. I submitted in late April and withdrew mid-August.

Did you ask where your submission was in their queue prior to withdrawing? No. It had been reported in June that they had responded to all but 10 of the submissions they had received prior to May, which would have included mine. I figured it wouldn't take them long to get around to mine. After two more months with no response, I decided to pull the submission.
I need to read the whole thread yet, but I'm curious what led you to withdra at the exact upper limit of their timeframe.I figured that since they had a full, I owed them the complete time they had asked for.

They allow simultaneous submissions - was there someone else you had in mind that doesn't?Yes.

JMC2009
08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for indulging my nosiness, Al. :-)

saffronblossom
08-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi all! Just read the last few posts in this thread--I submitted early May and am about to hit my 16 weeks. Is it common that there's no response? I know people get acceptances/rejections in a range of weeks, so I don't know how to feel about not hearing back yet.

Thanks for your help. :)

Chumplet
08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
I think I was around the 16 week mark when I received my rejection for my last submission.

Eriador117
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi all! Just read the last few posts in this thread--I submitted early May and am about to hit my 16 weeks. Is it common that there's no response? I know people get acceptances/rejections in a range of weeks, so I don't know how to feel about not hearing back yet.

Thanks for your help. :)

I think I was around the 17/18 week mark for my rejection for my R&R.

CaPooF
08-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Yikes. The slow response times have moved Carina down several notches on my list of places to sub. Good to know, guys. Thanks for the info. :-)

htrent
08-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I was at 12 weeks exactly for an R&R, but that was for a specific call and addressed to a certain editor. Generally I've received responses around week 16.

saffronblossom
08-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses. :)

Kweei
09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks in, so I am anticipating a long wait.

Foinah
09-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I first submitted in January and got a rejection at 66 days. I don't blame them ;) Ha! After reading the manuscript I just don't know what I was thinking ~ needs much work.

I recently subbed my other novel (which is very ready and polished) and am currently on day 57.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Chumplet
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
What is their policy if we receive an offer in the meantime?

smlgr8
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
When I advised that I had received another offer, I got no response at all from them. After a few days, I withdrew to accept that offer and I did get an acknowledgement that my submission had been withdrawn and they thanked me for informing them.

Chumplet
09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
When I advised that I had received another offer, I got no response at all from them. After a few days, I withdrew to accept that offer and I did get an acknowledgement that my submission had been withdrawn and they thanked me for informing them.

Thanks! I was wondering if it moved us up the queue but I guess not. I don't want to leave the other publisher hanging.

smlgr8
09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks! I was wondering if it moved us up the queue but I guess not. I don't want to leave the other publisher hanging.

Well, I was given the distinct impression it did NOT, but I suppose someone else might have had a different experience.

I felt the same as you, though, and didn't want to leave the other quite good publisher hanging.

Congrats on the offer

hillaryjacques
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
What is their policy if we receive an offer in the meantime?

I believe they request that you inform them if you receive an offer, Chumplet. What happens after that probably depends on the assigned editor and goes on a case-by-case basis.

Chumplet
09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh, thanks, Hilary. I guess I'd better email regardless.

Sorin
09-12-2012, 04:27 AM

I had the same experience. I think I waited a week between my nudge email and my withdrawal email.

ConnieJ
09-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Good luck to everyone who's waiting!

Chumplet
09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Okay... I emailed last night with "Offer of publication" in the sort line after I checked with Angela on Twitter.

In response, I got my quick and painless rejection today, so I can shimmy over to the other publisher to say OKAY!

Thanks to Carina (and Angela) for being so prompt.

Angela James
09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
To clear up the confusion:

If you get an offer and you want us to still consider the book, send us an email and let us know you have another offer and require a response. We'll generally email back within 1-2 business days (we don't respond on weekends or business holidays) letting you know either how long we'll need to respond, because we do have a process and it's hard to compress those steps. Alternately, we'll email back and let you know we're passing.

Alternately, if you have an offer you want to take, simply email us and ask us to withdraw your submission. We won't always acknowledge those, but we will remove your submission from consideration and let the reviewing author know.

Here's a blog post from a year ago that I wrote that expands on this a bit: http://carinapress.com/blog/2011/06/how-to-withdrawing-your-book-from-consideration/

Chumplet
09-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks, Angela. I looked around for specifics on offers but couldn't find anything, just withdrawals. You took care of things quickly and efficiently. Sorry The Bitches weren't for Carina, but they have a new home now.

JulianaHaygert
09-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Angela James said on twitter that Carina Press will start accepting New Adult submissions soon!
https://twitter.com/angelajames/status/248106687574196224

SUPER EXCITED!!

shameless
09-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Angela James is also doing her #editreports on Twitter now. (I believe she also digests these on her blog.) Well worth reading!!

ConnieJ
09-19-2012, 12:38 AM
It's amazing how much she can get done. If you ever have a chance, she has a 3-week workshop called, "Before You Hit Send" that's well worth the time and expense (just $49)! The next one starts October 8th. Here is the link:
http://nicemommy-evileditor.com/before-you-hit-send/

ReeseRyan
09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I accepted a 2-book deal from Carina Press for my book, Too Good to Be True. It will be published in 2013.

It's been great working with both Angela James, and my editor, Rhonda Helms, thus far. Looking forward to being part of the Carina Press family.

Captcha
09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Congrats, Reese! I'm enjoying my Carina experience thus far, too!

Is this your first published novel?

shameless
09-24-2012, 01:08 AM
I accepted a 2-book deal from Carina Press for my book, Too Good to Be True. It will be published in 2013.

It's been great working with both Angela James, and my editor, Rhonda Helms, thus far. Looking forward to being part of the Carina Press family.

Congratulations, Reese!! I have loved EVERY part of my experiences with Carina!! Welcome to the family! :Hug2:

CaPooF
09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Congratulations, that's wonderful! What genre is your novel?

I sent off a query to them a couple of weeks ago. :-)

Alley1958
09-26-2012, 09:49 AM

CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to Carina! Everyone I've worked with has been exceptional and the author community is very supportive.

WolfeMama
09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Congrats, that's awesome!

Angela James
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I wanted to make sure you all knew we just completed a week of posting different submission calls:

New Adult (http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/now-acquiring-new-adult-at-carina-press/)

"Contemporary Crack" (http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/now-acquiring-contemporary-crack-at-carina-press/)

2013 Holiday novella collections (http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/now-acquiring-2013-holiday-novellas-for-our-four-annual-special-collections/) (contemporary, erotic, military & motorcycle)

A specific list of what the editors are looking for (http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/carina-press-call-for-submissions-fall-12/)

And, today, an opportunity to get personal feedback (http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/submissions-opportunity-one-week-only-feedback-6-week-response-time/)if your book is rejected, and a 6-week response time (open for one week only).

ReeseRyan
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

Kate: Yes, this will be my first published novel so I am very excited and glad to hear about the wonderful experience other Carina Press authors are having.

C.P.: The genre is erotic romance.

twiharder
12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Have there been any sales reports for this press? Any titles hitting bestseller lists? I am just wondering about their marketing efforts.

htrent
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Shannon Stacey is one of their bestsellers (hit NYT list).

One of their titles (Boomerang Bride) won a RITA (http://www.rwa.org/cs/2012RITAGH) for 2012, so reckon they're doing all right.

gingerwoman
12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Have there been any sales reports for this press? Any titles hitting bestseller lists? I am just wondering about their marketing efforts.
They are in the top tier of digital first publishers without a doubt.

akaria
02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Anyone submit here lately? What are the response times looking like these days? Any specific editor info to share?

VanessaNorth
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Anyone submit here lately? What are the response times looking like these days? Any specific editor info to share?

I have a sub out to them now, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I'll update when I hear something one way or another.

Early last year, I subbed two projects to Carina and my response times were in the 3-4 month range, so I don't anticipate hearing anything for awhile.

They do have this blog post talking about which editors are looking for which types of stories:

http://carinapress.com/blog/2012/10/carina-press-call-for-submissions-fall-12/

I would definitely recommend following the Carina blog for information on the house and their submission process.

loves_books
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi :). Does anyone know if Angela James is still looking for contemporary (non-crack) trilogies? They were in her spring 2012 call, but that was almost a year ago and I want to make sure I address my submissions package to the right editor. Has anyone here heard her speak at a workshop or conference about her wish list lately? Thank you!

AmberS
03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
I know they reiterated the editor calls in the CarinaChat on twitter in January, so I believe they are still valid. Angela James linked there and then said, "You are welcome to address your submission to a particular editor or simply send it and let me assign appropriately!" So it sounds like either way you can address it to Angela.

Sn00py
03-19-2013, 03:45 AM

After doing some digging for public sales data, I saw that last year Erotic Romance Publishers posted an average of sales data (http://www.eroticromancepublishers.com/p/sales.html) for various digital publishers, including Carina.

AVERAGE FIRST MONTH SALES (April 5, 2012)
Ellora's Cave -- 691
Carina -- 548
Samhain -- 350
Dreamspinner -- 272
Changeling -- 258
Loose Id -- 198
Liquid Silver -- 154
Cobblestone -- 89
Torquere -- 88

AVERAGE SALES FOR BOOKS OUT ONE YEAR OR MORE (April 9, 2012)

Samhain -- 5591
Ellora's Cave -- 1190
Liquid Silver -- 1105
Loose Id -- 988
Cobblestone --574
Torquere -- 359

However, while this can give you an idea, this shouldn't be treated as a statistic that can be generalized. The blogger says she bases averages on at least 5 in print books by at least 3 different authors, and her data is acquired by people voluntarily submitting their sales information. Her sample is too small (potentially; she doesn't say exactly how large her sample is) to be representative of the publisher's actual average sales, and she's using a convenience sample, which further inhibits generalizability.

Anyway, let's just say there are problems taking the numbers as representative of reality for anyone but the authors who submitted the information, but those figures are at least something to look at.

AmberS
03-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Another caveat to those numbers is that some publishers put their books out on their website first then the others. I don't like the practice but it does throw off their numbers in this type of survey. For me, my second month was "the big one."

loves_books
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
I know they reiterated the editor calls in the CarinaChat on twitter in January, so I believe they are still valid. Angela James linked there and then said, "You are welcome to address your submission to a particular editor or simply send it and let me assign appropriately!" So it sounds like either way you can address it to Angela.

I looked up the CarinaChats and they had GREAT info! Thanks Amber :).

Emualde
03-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Just got some insider comments from editors on their punk sub wishlist:

http://thepenpunks.blogspot.com/2013/03/new-to-database-carina-press.html

MumblingSage
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I have question for current Carina authors about the payment process. Does Carina pay by check? If so, do they have a direct deposit option?