PDA

View Full Version : Carina Press

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Dee Carney
01-25-2012, 03:28 AM
For those considering Carina, but are distressed about the wait time, this tweet came from Angela James yesterday:

RT @angelajames: If you submit a novel-length (70k+) erotic romance to @CarinaPress, your mss is going to jump to front of reading queue.

Filigree
01-25-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm just waiting to hear back on a partial from an agency, and then I'll submit directly. I've got a 99K erotic romance space opera that I'm getting ready to send out to several e-pubs.

Apsu
01-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Any ideas on how long one should wait after sending a follow-up email?

I sent one after 16 weeks, and it's been about a week since I sent that.

I'd worry they're not getting through, but each email receives their auto-response.

Angela James
01-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Hm. I'm out of the office until Tuesday. Have been gone most of January, so it's possible your email has been filed for my response, but I don't think we have a lot of subs still pending at the 14-16 week mark. Give it until the end of next week, just to make sure, but also add submissions@carinapress.com to your white list. I've got a day set aside next week to make sure everything is responded to and answered, and I'll also be doing another #editreport!

Apsu
01-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the response :)

Stacy Green
01-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi all! I subbed to Carina about ten weeks ago, so my time frame isn't up yet. However, I've received contract offers I'm considering, and while I've emailed the Carina submissions address to let them know, I haven't gotten any response. Is that normal? Is there any other route I should take to let them know? Carina is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to make any decisions without hearing from them.

Thank you!

profen4
01-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Hi all! I subbed to Carina about ten weeks ago, so my time frame isn't up yet. However, I've received contract offers I'm considering, and while I've emailed the Carina submissions address to let them know, I haven't gotten any response. Is that normal? Is there any other route I should take to let them know? Carina is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to make any decisions without hearing from them.

Thank you!

Did you indicate in the "subject line" of the email that it was Regarding a pending offer? If so, how long has it been since you sent it? Waiting a few days for them to reply is normal.

Good luck!

Filigree
01-28-2012, 05:01 AM
If you've mentioned 'CONTRACT OFFER FOR (name of mms) in your subject line, wait a week. Your offering companies can wait that long.

If they don't get back to you, they've lost their chance. If they do, look carefully at Carina's advantages and disadvantages in the market, and decide.

Stacy Green
01-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Did you indicate in the "subject line" of the email that it was Regarding a pending offer? If so, how long has it been since you sent it? Waiting a few days for them to reply is normal.

Good luck!

Yes, my subject line was "Contract Officers Received." I actually sent one about a week ago when I got the first offer, and then sent a second today when I received more. I hope that was all right. I just wanted to make sure I was courteous and played by "the rules."

Filigree - thank you for your comment. I will patiently wait then. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I should be doing.

Filigree
01-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Write something else, while you are waiting. I know the feeling. I'm waiting for an agency to make a decision before I start subbing directly to publishers. Carina is high on my list, but certainly not the only one. I'm trying to distract myself with other projects.

Stacy Green
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Write something else, while you are waiting. I know the feeling. I'm waiting for an agency to make a decision before I start subbing directly to publishers. Carina is high on my list, but certainly not the only one. I'm trying to distract myself with other projects.

I will, thanks. I have another that's at the top of my list interested as well. Writing something else definitely helps. I'm just getting into the second act of my new suspense novel.

Deb Kinnard
01-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Good idea all 'round. Waiting stinks, and I'm really bad at it, but working on something new makes it a bit more palatable.

ViolettaVane
01-30-2012, 02:11 AM

Yes! That's the only way not to drive yourself to distraction with the wait.

Filigree
01-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Subbed my 99K m/m space opera to Carina today, along with other publishers. It feels odd to have all those draft emails tidied up and sent!

Willowwriter
02-03-2012, 03:06 AM
For those waiting what week are you at? I'm at 11.

Erin
02-03-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm at 9 weeks today (which includes the holidays).

Sorin
02-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Nine weeks for me, too. I figure with the holidays, that's really more like seven.

Apsu
02-03-2012, 05:26 AM
Subbed my 99K m/m space opera to Carina today, along with other publishers. It feels odd to have all those draft emails tidied up and sent!

Do they accept simultaneous subs? I've been waiting this whole time without submitting to anyone else.

Alley1958
02-03-2012, 07:22 AM
For those waiting what week are you at? I'm at 11.

Two days! LOL!

Filigree
02-03-2012, 08:28 AM
They accept simultaneous subs, just let them know if anyone else offers.
I only subbed on this round to publishers who will take simultaneous entries - the ones who demand exclusives will have to wait until my second round.

Filigree
02-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Any news on the next #editreport from Angela James? There's one coming up soon, I think.

Angela James
02-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Next week! I haven't picked a day yet, but probably Wednesday or Thursday. I wanted to do it this week, but I spent two days on contracts instead (good for some, at least!)

Foinah
02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Four weeks for my sub (supernatural thriller/horror) so far.

Filigree
02-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the update, Angela. Now I'll have to decide if I want to follow it or not. It's fun in the abstract, but terrifying when I know my mms might be in the mix.

Willowwriter
02-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Angela just tweeted that she has three offers to make this week. Hoping for good news for some AW members!

Willowwriter
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Did anyone end up hearing one way or the other?

Angela James
02-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Just so no one gives up hope, I'll tell you I haven't made the offers yet. I had two large editorial deadlines I had to meet so those ended up taking priority!

Willowwriter
02-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Angela--Thanks for the update!

MarieSalvros
02-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I submitted nearly 15 weeks ago. I'm hoping to hear something soon.

I wonder how often carnia editors send out revise and resubmit requests.

Wildflower90
02-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Just submitted a romantic suspense on Wednesday (02/08). My fingers are so crossed for this!! :0) Settling back to wait.

Willowwriter
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Good luck wildflower. Settle in and wait with the rest of us;)

Wildflower90
02-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Lol, thanks Willowwriter. I've got a comfy cushion ;0)

Willowwriter
02-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Marie S did you ever hear anything?

MarieSalvros
02-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Marie S did you ever hear anything?

Nope and now it's just a hair shy of 16 weeks.

Fae Sutherland
02-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Nope and now it's just a hair shy of 16 weeks.

Have you sent a polite nudge querying the status of your submission? That seems an awfully long time and I'm sure no one would be bothered by a quick "Did the internet goblins eat an email?" query.

Filigree
02-18-2012, 06:35 AM
I submitted at the beginning of February, but I sent queries to four of my top target publishers. The two that I sent partials to have already asked for fulls, so things are moving more quickly than I'd expected. If one of them offers, I'll let Carina know right away, rather than wait 12-16 weeks. (I'd like to keep Carina in the loop!)

Willowwriter
02-18-2012, 04:47 PM
The holidays may add some extra time as well..

MarieSalvros
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Have you sent a polite nudge querying the status of your submission? That seems an awfully long time and I'm sure no one would be bothered by a quick "Did the internet goblins eat an email?" query.

No. I think their submissions guidelines say 16 weeks is within there timeline. I will wait until 18 weeks before I nudge I think.

Willowwriter
02-21-2012, 06:50 PM
ah yeah, i see the webpage does say 12 to 16. i think the auto reply said 14 so that's what a lot of pple were using as frame of reference.

MarieSalvros
02-23-2012, 04:53 AM
No rejections? No revise and resubmits? No news from anyone on AW. Maybe they're taking a break from sending out stuff, rejections and such.

Erin
02-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Nothing yet for me either.

If I remember correctly from Twitter, Angela was at a conference part of last week, which may have set her behind.

Filigree
02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
She hasn't even done the latest #editreport yet, so she may be caught up.

Willowwriter
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Nothing here. I'm at ab 14 wks
Still think holidays will add more time

Angela James
02-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Just did a massive update of reports today, so many people will get replies next week. I have acquisitions to make and, sadly, a lot of pass letters will go out. But everyone who submitted through November should receive a reply, as well as 75% of people who submitted in December, plus some who submitted in January/February.

I didn't do #editreport (no time!) but I did take notes so I can do one soon.

Filigree
02-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Thank you, Angela. I know I'm in the mix for Jan/Feb, but I'm philosophical about the outcome. Having other projects to work on helps with my chewing-on-fingernails tendency.

Willowwriter
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks Angela. It's because of your professionalism that people are so excited about Carina.

Jennifer Robins
02-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I submitted a few days ago.

SKatriel
02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
My manuscript was rejected by Carina Press yesterday. Their response was very swift (which I'm grateful for) but, most importantly, very helpful indeed. I find that I'm not as downhearted as I assumed I'd be, because both Angela and the editor provided me with really useful feedback. Since submitting to Carina, I've also had the benefit of reading some excellent, instructive articles on blogs maintained by CP editors (particularly Rhonda Helms), articles which will undoubtably help me in future. So, all in all, I've a very positive opinion & experience of Carina Press and their staff. :)

Wildflower90
02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd be very surprised if I got a reply this soon (!) but somehow I'm still nibbling those fingernails down to the quick! :0) Thanks for the update, Angela. It's very considerate of you, and, like the others have said, one of the big reasons I submitted to Carina Press.

Wildflower90
02-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh, also bad luck SKatriel! But it's fantastic that you got such a helpful response. I'm hoping that I get one in the large chance that I get a reject. I love it when people take the time out of their busy days to give a detailed reason why they're saying no - it really makes me feel optimistic about submitting to that publisher again.

SKatriel
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Wildflower. :)

Willowwriter
02-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry Skatriel. I'm sure mine will be coming soon as well. But at least you have a positive attitude!

Alley1958
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I submitted on Feb. 1st, which seems rather soon to get a response, but Angela did mention some Jan/Feb submittals may hear something so maybe I'll hear yay or nay next week. I hope to hear yay, but am prepared for nay! LOL.

Angela did a presentation at my RWA chapter last November and she was wonderful. We learned a lot about author branding, creating a website, and, of course, digital publishing. I came away from that presentation hugely impressed. I think Angela and Carina Press are a class act.

Angela James
02-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Thank you all for the lovely positive comments about both me and Carina Press. I appreciate it.

JustJas
02-25-2012, 05:01 AM
So glad I found this thread as I can share everyone's nervous anticipation. I submitted a novella to Carina on 14.12.2011 and another in January. I've been waiting patiently and if I don't get through this time I will continue to try because they are definitely at the top of my list!

shameless
02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I have been truly blessed to work with Carina Press!! I was thrilled when they accepted my contemporary romance -- Rules of the Game.

Every step of the production of this novel has been a joy. My editor was a dream to work with. My cover is gorgeous. I even got up the nerve to ask if they could help me produce a banner so I could advertise on some review sites, and within a week, I had two in my inbox.

I'm head over heels that Carina is going to be publishing my four-book Urban Fantasy series -- The Amazon Sisterhood -- starting in September.

So...for all of you waiting. Be patient. Carina is worth the wait. :D

Fae Sutherland
02-26-2012, 04:58 AM
So...for all of you waiting. Be patient. Carina is worth the wait. :D

100% agreement. I have to forcibly restrain myself from flooding my editor's inbox with any and everything I write lol.

Wildflower90
02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm waiting...I'm waiting.... lol ;0)

Filigree
02-27-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm waiting, too. Hoping that I hear nothing next week, actually, since that would mean the mms has been passed up the editor chain. A rejection on the current mms from Carina means I won't be able to send them anything for a year or two. If at all. I'm considering self-publishing my series, if this round of queries flames out.

Wildflower90
02-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Then I hope you hear nothing :0) I hate it when you reach the end of a list. I had that with agents last year, and it really does truly suck. Me, I have two - count 'em, two - submissions out to Carina Press. I really must be a glutton for punishment. Ah, the waiting! :0)

Filigree
02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Well, they already rejected one submission in early December. But for reasons I understood - I was submitting a big, confusing sci-fi epic that needs to be either condensed into a smaller book, or split apart.

K. Victoria Chase
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I've been following this thread and I'm really excited to know the results to everyone's queries. Hopefully, everyone gets good news this week! :)

Willowwriter
02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Did anyone hear anything today?

Erin
02-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Did anyone hear anything today?

Not me. :)

JustJas
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
No news is good news as they say.

JinxVelox
02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Waiting right along with all of you (submitted new adult-ish historic steampunk fantasy in early February), and hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone.

Jennifer Robins
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm also waiting. I sent mine Feb 22nd. don't think I will hear anything this soon but I hope not. Good luck all, hope we all get good news.

Eriador117
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Heard nothing yet for my revision/resubmit, just waiting now :) Good luck everyone.

Take care,
Annette

Haunted_October
02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I submitted my horror novella today. I know I'm in for a wait, but I can still hope for sooner rather than later :)

Filigree
02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, the same novel that I subbed to Carina a month ago just got a full request, from the fifth publisher I queried. That makes seven queries and five fulls out in the market. Carina's still high on my list, but it's nice to know my query and partial are effective (for once).

Willowwriter
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I've resigned myself to getting a rejection this week. But I will submit other projects to them for sure. When I hear, I will post.

eternalised
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I didn't know Carina accepted horror as well. I may have to look into that. I have a horror novella gathering dust somewhere, which might be suitable.

They don't seem to have any horror novels on their website shop up to date. I am currently reading one of their thrillers though, Inheritance of Shadows. It's an intriguing novel, and it helps me form an idea of what they're looking for.

Good luck everyone with your submissions :)

ShannonStacey
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
They don't seem to have any horror novels on their website shop up to date. I am currently reading one of their thrillers though, Inheritance of Shadows. It's an intriguing novel, and it helps me form an idea of what they're looking for.

The author of Inheritance of Shadows, Janis Susan May, also wrote Lure of the Mummy, which was Carina's first horror novel, I believe. It was an August release.

I'm not sure why it's not in the main menu, but if you click on "horror" in Lure of the Mummy's product description, there are two titles listed. One being Lure of the Mummy and the other being Heart of Perdition by Selah March, which is a steampunk horror novella Angela's expressed a lot of excitement about. It releases Monday.

Xirana
03-01-2012, 12:11 AM
I'd love to see their horror list grow; that's why they need those submissions. ;) Good luck!

I submitted my ms on Feb 7th. No news yet.

Willowwriter
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Any updates anyone?

Erin
03-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Any updates anyone?

Angela's been traveling this week. I think I saw a tweet a couple days ago that said she still has not made the acquisition calls yet. (ETA: not sure if she sends out R's directly also).

I feel like a stalker...I'm not really!!! :D Just a Twitter follower!

K. Victoria Chase
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh, the suspense! Tee-hee ;)

Willowwriter
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Erin: yeah, i wasn't sure if she sent out R's directly or if that was sent by someone on her behalf. At least it's fun to wait with such a cool group of AW writers!

dolores haze
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Pulling for y'all!

The day I got "the call" from Angela my husband had been out of town for a week and I'd been rushing around like crazy for days. One morning I realized I hadn't checked my messages all week. One of the messages was from Angela, accepting a novella for publication with Carina Press. I was too busy trying to get the kids ready and out the door to celebrate much, but as soon as I was driving the kids to the day camp it finally hit me. I drove halfway to work before I realized I still had one of my kids in the back seat.

Hope you all get the good word, and hoping you handle it better than I did *grin* My youngest still reminds me of the time I forgot about him.

Wildflower90
03-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh, I love that!!! LOL, what a great anecdote. I remember once reading someone's "How I found my agent" story, and they were getting a call from an agent, got locked out of their house, and had to use a trampoline to get into the open window. It's moments like those that make it so much more special :0)

Having said that, if I get a call from Angela - which I doubt as I live in the UK! - I'd like my moment to be a little more mundane. :0) Coming up to week four for one submission, week one of another, and I'm down to the quick of my nails. Hope everyone else is handling it a little better!!

Erin
03-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Dolores...that's a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Working on other stuff keeps me too busy to obsess. But I'm connected to email all day and if I get a voicemail at home, I get an email notification. No...I'm not obssessed at at all! :D

Willowwriter
03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Delores: what a wonderful "call" story. TY for sharing it!

Wildflower90
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Just read on Twitter that a contemporary romance submission that was submitted in response to Angela's *call* was a winner, and she's looking to acquire it. Is that anyone here??

Willowwriter
03-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Not me. I'm one of the Nov pple waiting. Congrats to whoever that is though!

Filigree
03-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Not me. I've got a 99K space opera, submitted just last month. Of course, if anyone emails or calls during a weekday, answering will be difficult. I can't access my email at work, and my phone is usually set in message mode during the day.

Alley1958
03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
My submission is a contemporary romance. I saw her tweet, but have forced myself not to get my hopes up.

Wildflower90
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Aw, bless you!! Let us know IF anything does happen! And if not, at least you know she does especially want and like contemporary romance :0)

Cloe S
03-07-2012, 03:11 AM
:hi:Well folks, this is my first post here. I've been lurking for quite some time, and am very thankful that this site exists!

I submitted an attempted colloquial (but) still literary science fiction to Carina on February 3rd, and certainly realize that itís a far cry from being a romance, so rejection may be probable.

Brendan Flattery helped tremendously with the send as my rtf version proved too large. He was patient and wrote me back immediately until the send was received (doc). I am very impressed so far with Carinaís professionalism.

My heart goes out to all of you struggling in this industry (lurkers included), and I wish you great success!

Each of us is a unique story and gives to the world that uniqueness.

Science fiction thought of the day: We may not be planarian immortal, but we donít need to be as biology is cumbersome, or so, we have discovered.

Now to hit "SUBMIT REPLY" (gulp). :e2paperba

eternalised
03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Hey Cloe. Welcome :)

Since Carina Press has extended far beyond romance nowadays, and accepts other genres such as horror, thrillers and mysteries as well, I don't think you should worry too much about your novel not including romantic elements.

Good luck!

Willowwriter
03-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Still no word from anyone since Angela posted her last update about decisions?

Eriador117
03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Still no word from anyone since Angela posted her last update about decisions?

Nope, nothing for met yet. I resubmitted my revised MS at the beginning of Jan.

Maybe no news is good news? Or maybe it'll be an outright rejection this time. It's just waiting and seeing.

shameless
03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Angela just posted this on Twitter:

I'm making acquisition calls today/tomorrow. I have TWO people to call who follow me on Twitter & who I've met in person. Heh.

Good luck!! :)

K. Victoria Chase
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
HAHA, Shameless. You beat me to it. Had to write up a personnel review. I replied saying we are all on the edge of our seats and she said she'll be sad to disappoint anyone now. :)

Alley1958
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
No call for me today. Angela did post on Twitter that she had 16 manuscripts in the pipeline that her team was reviewing and there would be another batch of calls within a couple of weeks.

Good luck everyone!

Sorin
03-07-2012, 11:08 PM
No word for me yet, either. I hope someone here got good news. If not now, then perhaps in the next batch!

Wildflower90
03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Man, the suspense might actually carve nail grooves in my desk lol!! Not that I expect it to me as I haven't waited for very long, but I love to see people who've had THE CALL. Always fun :0)

VanessaNorth
03-08-2012, 01:58 AM
I actually saw a reference to this thread on twitter and came over to check it out. I've had two subs in to Carina and think they'd be an awesome publisher with whom to work.

According to my calendars, I'll be hitting the 14 week mark next week on the first submission I sent, so I'm starting to reach that "nervous place." This is the longest I've had a sub out without a rejection--I don't know whether that's a good sign or a bad sign, but in the interim I wrote the sequel and am more than halfway through the third in the series, (each around 50k words), so I guess I'm putting all that nervous energy to use.

Anyway, nice to meet y'all. :)

Captcha
03-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Well, I didn't get "the call" but I got "the e-mail" which I think is good enough!

It's a m/f contemporary romantic suspense that I subbed on December 7.

The most exciting part is that I've already heard from my editor and she's got some GREAT ideas for improving the story (mostly characterization, which I would normally consider my strong point... but I normally write m/m, and things are different in m/f land)! So even without the contract, I'm already coming out ahead. But I'm looking forward to working with the rest of the Carina team as well.

shameless
03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Well, I didn't get "the call" but I got "the e-mail" which I think is good enough!

The most exciting part is that I've already heard from my editor and she's got some GREAT ideas for improving the story (mostly characterization, which I would normally consider my strong point... but I normally write m/m, and things are different in m/f land)! So even without the contract, I'm already coming out ahead. But I'm looking forward to working with the rest of the Carina team as well.

YAY!!! Congratulations! I have loved EVERY step of working with Carina! :Hug2:

eternalised
03-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Congratulations Captcha!

VanessaNorth
03-08-2012, 02:54 AM

Congratulations!

December 7th is really close to the date I subbed to Carina, which makes me hopeful I will hear one way or the other soon. The waiting makes me crazy!

Alley1958
03-08-2012, 03:33 AM

Congratulations! That's great news!

K. Victoria Chase
03-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Congrats Captcha!!!!! This news will hold us over until the next "call/email." ;)

Cloe S
03-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Thank you for the welcome, eternalized (cool pseudo).

Congratulations Captcha, see, all your hard word is going to pay off. It must feel wonderful to have your work validated by such professionals. :hooray:

Sorin
03-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Congrats, Captcha!

How very very exciting.

JustJas
03-08-2012, 07:30 AM

It's wonderful to hear a success story. Gives the rest of us hope. Congratulations!

Xirana
03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Congratulations Captcha! :Thumbs:

Wildflower90
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
CONGRATS!!!! Wow, how exciting. Have fun working with them :0)

JinxVelox
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Congratulations, Captcha! ^.^

I subbed in February, so I don't expect to hear for a while yet, but you never know.

Eriador117
03-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Huge congrats!

Take care,
Annette

Jennifer Robins
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM
That's wonderful, Congrat's

Captcha
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, guys!

(I've got to say, I think Carina had a good idea when they went with 'the call' instead of the regular e-mail. It makes things seem much more exciting, doesn't it?)

Erin
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats, Captcha!!! :snoopy:

Welcome to AW, VanessaNorth. Glad to have you waiting with us!

Filigree
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm actually in the 'email' or 'mail' camp. I get why people are excited at the phone call, and I understand that's a fast way for editor and writer to determine compatibility. But there's too much temptation to let excitement rule rationality, and say 'ohmigosh, YES!' to everything right away.

Whichever publisher calls, emails, or writes to me (if any of them do), I know this is still just the start of a longer conversation. One that I'd prefer to have in writing, or at least have major points backed up in writing.

Angela James
03-09-2012, 01:50 AM
For those who've been asking, I'll be doing an #editreport session on Twitter tomorrow (Friday)

Filigree
03-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Thank you, Angela. I'm only at 4 weeks, so it's a little soon for mine, but I look forward to reading the tweets.

Fae Sutherland
03-09-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm actually in the 'email' or 'mail' camp. I get why people are excited at the phone call, and I understand that's a fast way for editor and writer to determine compatibility. But there's too much temptation to let excitement rule rationality, and say 'ohmigosh, YES!' to everything right away.

Whichever publisher calls, emails, or writes to me (if any of them do), I know this is still just the start of a longer conversation. One that I'd prefer to have in writing, or at least have major points backed up in writing.

It's not that kind of a call. Angela simply calls to let the author know Carina is offering for the book. You don't accept or reject their offer during the call and you don't speak to your editor during the call. Even if Angela ends up being the editor on a project she calls to accept, I'm confident there's no editing discussion or contract negotiation going on during that call. it's a very short, very exciting way for Carina to say "Yes, we want to buy your book!" then you get emails and contracts later on.

It has nothing to do with determining compatibility or agreeing to anything. My call was along the lines of "Hi Fae, this is Angela, Carina wants to publish your book!" *cue Fae squeaking and asking if she's being punked* "I'll be emailing you later in the day with the details and you'll be contacted by your editor in a week or two!"

C.K.Wright
03-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Fae, that's excellent information to have. Thanks for posting it here.

I'm looking forward (I think) to Angela's #editreport tomorrow.

LaneHeymont
03-09-2012, 06:58 AM
It's not that kind of a call. Angela simply calls to let the author know Carina is offering for the book. You don't accept or reject their offer during the call and you don't speak to your editor during the call. Even if Angela ends up being the editor on a project she calls to accept, I'm confident there's no editing discussion or contract negotiation going on during that call. it's a very short, very exciting way for Carina to say "Yes, we want to buy your book!" then you get emails and contracts later on.

It has nothing to do with determining compatibility or agreeing to anything. My call was along the lines of "Hi Fae, this is Angela, Carina wants to publish your book!" *cue Fae squeaking and asking if she's being punked* "I'll be emailing you later in the day with the details and you'll be contacted by your editor in a week or two!"

Read through this entire thread and assumed they were royalty-paying only, but "buy" just made me wonder if there's an advance?

JustJas
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Got my R today :cry:Them's the breaks :Shrug: Got my fingers crossed for those still waiting.

Haunted_October
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Congrats, Captcha! That's awesome news!!!

A few hours after I sent in my horror novella last week, the one other publisher I had sent it to- months ago- sent an email rejecting it, but the editor gave me some pointers on how to make it stronger. I went through and did revisions- making it about a thousand words longer- and emailed Carina asking if they'd let me pull my first submission so I could send the revised one.

They let me!

Whether I'll get accepted for publication, I don't know, but I'm very happy they let me send in the revised version.

Fae Sutherland
03-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Read through this entire thread and assumed they were royalty-paying only, but "buy" just made me wonder if there's an advance?

That I can't answer. I wasn't offered an advance personally, but I can't say they never do.

Filigree
03-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Fae. That info calms some jitters I had.

On bittersweet news, the space opera garnered the best positive rejection I've ever had from an editor: "As a reader, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and was very impressed with your written style and intricate plotting. Your characters were great, your world-building and politics were believable, and you should be really proud of the book." She did have some doubts about some of the darker themes, and the relatively-low frequency of sex scenes in the book, which was why she didn't think it would fit her publisher (not Carina).

So even if it washes up at Carina and the other e-pubs, I at least know it's ready to be self-published.

ShannonStacey
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
That I can't answer. I wasn't offered an advance personally, but I can't say they never do.

As far as I know they don't do advances. I've never been offered one, either, and if anybody else has, I've never heard about it. I think it's safe to assume a Carina contract comes with much awesomeness, but not an advance.

ViolettaVane
03-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Congratulations Captcha and consolations JustJas.

Erin
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Bummer, I got my R yesterday too (14 weeks on the nose). Onward I go.

Sorry about the other R's too.

LaneHeymont
03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
As far as I know they don't do advances. I've never been offered one, either, and if anybody else has, I've never heard about it. I think it's safe to assume a Carina contract comes with much awesomeness, but not an advance.

Okay, thanks! I only asked, because I know of a small press that doesn't seem to offer advances, but offered me one. Just curious if that was a "norm" or a rarity. Though off-topic :)

Willowwriter
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
congrats Captcha. i still haven't heard but given my november sub time, and fact i didn't get called, i think it's only matter of time before R gets to me. onward!

Sorin
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
If you follow her on Twitter, Angela's doing her #editreport right now. Really interesting stuff!

LaneHeymont
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
If you follow her on Twitter, Angela's doing her #editreport right now. Really interesting stuff!

I'm following it now, very interesting stuff indeed!

Wildflower90
03-09-2012, 09:11 PM
But it's making me sooo paranoid lol!!

LaneHeymont
03-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Such is a writer's life! I have a partial out not with an agent that seems perfect for me. Nervous is an understatement! lol

Willowwriter
03-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Angela's also doing her self-editing 3 week workshop in April. Info is on her website.

K. Victoria Chase
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear about all the R's but fingers crossed for others who are waiting!

akaria
03-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Same here! Reading that made me even more nervous about ever hitting SEND.

Captcha
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM

I just got an acceptance, and it's making me paranoid, too! I don't think I'm going to read any more.

Cloe S
03-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Congratulations to those that have been accepted! :hooray:

Hang in there to those that have been redirected and just look toward another path and go for it! Don't give up! Remember that many of the most amazing authors were rejected many times. :Hug2:

Filigree
03-10-2012, 05:28 AM
I can only catch #editreport after the fact on Storify, so I had some emotional distance. But I still caught myself cringing at every rejection, wondering 'Was that mine? They think it sucks. What if it was mine?' Or, even worse, the tiny shreds of hope in the positive comments: 'Omigosh, I really hope that was mine.'

But no call or rejection email, so I'm still in Carina limbo. It's a good place to be, though. While there is silence, there is hope...

Silver-Midnight
03-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Sorry about the people who got rejections, and crossing fingers for the people still waiting.

Wildflower90
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I think there's going to be a few people holding their breath over the next few days - because if they get rejections, their "edit reports" might have been on Angela's edit report!!! (Myself included!)

I have to say, the more I read the rejections and then read my submission, I think, Yep, it's me. I'm not getting published with this story.

Blimey, there really should be a disclaimer: Warning. Can produce side effects of paranoia, self doubt, and immense chocolate-eating.

:0)

Wildflower90
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Hmm, now I'm wondering reading this: http://carinapress.com/blog/2010/10/how-do-acquisitions-work/

whether waiting for a long time is a good thing? I assume if you get a reply within the first 4-5 weeks it's a rejection, as it has to go to an editor for a full read for another week or so, and then a panel, and then, and then, and then.... I'm coming up to week 5 so *holds breath*

LaneHeymont
03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Blimey, there really should be a disclaimer: Warning. Can produce side effects of paranoia, self doubt, and immense chocolate-eating.

That IS funny!

I'm hoping you're right about the waiting. I have a short story "under review" at Clarkesworld Magazine, and it's been "under review" on the submission status for like an hour! Waiting is killing me! Last time when I got my rejection it was "under review" for like 3 minutes! LOL

VanessaNorth
03-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Hmm, now I'm wondering reading this: http://carinapress.com/blog/2010/10/how-do-acquisitions-work/

whether waiting for a long time is a good thing? I assume if you get a reply within the first 4-5 weeks it's a rejection, as it has to go to an editor for a full read for another week or so, and then a panel, and then, and then, and then.... I'm coming up to week 5 so *holds breath*

I think no news is no news... Not good or bad. I'm at fourteen weeks next week and thinking i'll probably be rejected.

AngelaA
03-12-2012, 04:13 AM
I got a rejection too --and I also read through the edit report. I found one comment (a 3-parter) in particular really stuck with me (don't know if it was my novella that generated the comment, but it got me thinking anyway.) Just waiting on another pub who has the full, but I'm thinking my novella might be better suited to a novel...something to ponder anyway.

Alley1958
03-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I've been offline for several days and am catching up with this thread. A lot has happened!

Congrats Captcha! Enjoy the ride!!!!!

To those who didn't receive the news they were hoping for, keep the faith! You can do this!

Wildflower90
03-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Sorry AngelaA!! Hope it wasn't too bad of a 3 parter. I think a lot of people will be looking over the comments if they get a rejection in the next few days, looking to see if anything gels. At least it gave you food for thought - food to an author's soul :0)

ViolettaVane
03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
We waited 18 weeks for our acceptance due to a combination of holidays and long novel length.

Willowwriter
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Update: got R today. Onward. Good luck to those still waiting.

htrent
03-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Got my end-of-workday R, too. 11 weeks out I think? Blergh.

VanessaNorth
03-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Sorry Tiffany, me too. :( Actually, I got three all within about five minutes of each other from different pubs. Ouch. :P

BTW, this was week 14 on Carina, about 12 from the other pubs.

Erin
03-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Sorry about all the R's. I looked over the EditReport tweets this weekend and gave up trying to decipher if one of them might have been my book. But it was interesting.

I have another book I plan to submit soon, specific to Angela's December submission call. So all is not lost for me.

Good luck with the rest of you waiting!!

LaneHeymont
03-13-2012, 03:54 AM
I looked over the EditReport tweets this weekend and gave up trying to decipher if one of them might have been my book. But it was interesting.
!

I'm not going to submit my first book to Carina, which I would if it fit, since it only has the tiniest shred of romance. BUT, I follow her on twitter, because she gives awesome insight! I think it's better to read the EditReport without playing the guessing game, which probably feels impossible!

Erin
03-13-2012, 04:10 AM
I'm not going to submit my first book to Carina, which I would if it fit, since it only has the tiniest shred of romance. BUT, I follow her on twitter, because she gives awesome insight! I think it's better to read the EditReport without playing the guessing game, which probably feels impossible!

Yes, she definitely provides much insight and I appreciate the time she takes to do the EditReport.

Carina also accepts non-romance books. Check their submission guidelines and their various submission blog posts...your book just might fit.

LaneHeymont
03-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Yes, she definitely provides much insight and I appreciate the time she takes to do the EditReport.

Carina also accepts non-romance books. Check their submission guidelines and their various submission blog posts...your book just might fit.

She takes the time to answer random questions too, which cool and refreshing.

Really? I thought there had to be some semblance of romance...off to the blog I go! lol

LaneHeymont
03-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Wow, I can't believe I missed that! ;(

Filigree
03-13-2012, 04:26 AM
My sub is at 6 weeks now, so I've a ways to go. Carina interests me because they don't have a strict focus on romance/erotica. Some of my books have a fair amount of sex, some not.

Sorin
03-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Joining everyone on the R bench today. It was a bummer, but I've got some other irons in the fire. I will definitely sub to Carina in the future, though. I love their professionalism. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

VanessaNorth
03-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Joining everyone on the R bench today. It was a bummer, but I've got some other irons in the fire. I will definitely sub to Carina in the future, though. I love their professionalism. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Yep! I still have another sub with them--for the sci-fi call. I'd love to work with Carina, but made a huge mistake submitting the first of my trilogy before it was ready. Reading back over it now that I've written the other two books...

well. oops.

My worries now are that I subbed the first book before I wrote the other two (the second is in beta reader hands now, and the third almost done) and now it needs a rewrite, but I pretty much subbed it everywhere I was interested in publishing it. And now all of those pubs are a no go for the whole trilogy. Stupid newbie mistake. :(

Sorin
03-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Yep! I still have another sub with them--for the sci-fi call. I'd love to work with Carina, but made a huge mistake submitting the first of my trilogy before it was ready. Reading back over it now that I've written the other two books...

well. oops.

My worries now are that I subbed the first book before I wrote the other two (the second is in beta reader hands now, and the third almost done) and now it needs a rewrite, but I pretty much subbed it everywhere I was interested in publishing it. And now all of those pubs are a no go for the whole trilogy. Stupid newbie mistake. :(

Don't be too bummed out, V. We all make mistakes. There are plenty of publishers out there, not to mention agents as well, so keep on writing and subbing. It will pay off in the end!

san_remo_ave
03-13-2012, 05:20 AM

If you've written #2 and #3 as strong stand-alones, then submit them and keep going. If (when) a publisher wants to buy one they will ask if there are others. You will have #1 ready to add to the sale and they will be in a position to take another look (even if they R'd the early draft version).

Filigree
03-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Another vote for continuing to write the series. Some folks on AW will say it's a waste of time to write a sequel for something that hasn't sold yet. But if you're reasonably confident you've improved the work, this will actually save you time later.

A Carina editor gave me a personalized rejection on a big fantasy project last December. It's not an R&R, but if I can sneak in the door with another project in a different genre, the first mms may still have legs upon further improvement.

Filigree
03-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Change of subject: any Carina editors or authors planning on attending the Desert Dreams Conference in Tempe, AZ at the end of April? I'm still waffling, since I'm local and I have until the end of March to decide. I'm not pitching anything to anyone (I hate doing in-person pitches), but some of the panels look interesting.

Wildflower90
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Goodness, I looked away for about a night and when I came back, there're all these Rs :0( I am sooo sorry guys!! Just keep plugging away. I mean, it's a cliche now but it's true: You want an editor who LOVES your work and wants to publish it. Hugs to all :0)

Eriador117
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm still waiting on my revision/resubmission. I'm not sure how many weeks, but I think I sent it in around mid-Jan.

Congrats and commiserations.

Take care,
Annette

K. Victoria Chase
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear about all the Rs. :( Next time!! :)

Jennifer Robins
03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear about all the R's. I"m still waiting but it's only been 3 weeks. Good luck to all who wait.

Angela James
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
5 new-to-Carina authors will be getting "the call" this week. 12 more books (a mix of return authors and new authors) are still up for consideration at next week's acquisition meeting :)

VanessaNorth
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
If you've written #2 and #3 as strong stand-alones, then submit them and keep going. If (when) a publisher wants to buy one they will ask if there are others. You will have #1 ready to add to the sale and they will be in a position to take another look (even if they R'd the early draft version).

I never thought about it like that. :)

LaneHeymont
03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
5 new-to-Carina authors will be getting "the call" this week. 12 more books (a mix of return authors and new authors) are still up for consideration at next week's acquisition meeting :)

Not that it needs to be said or agreed with, but I take all the rejections as a good tell of Carina's standing and worth.

But, for all you R's, :(. Keep on keepin' on!

VanessaNorth
03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Not that it needs to be said or agreed with, but I take all the rejections as a good tell of Carina's standing and worth.

But, for all you R's, :(. Keep on keepin' on!

My first clue that they were legit? That they didn't want me!
(ba-dum-bum)

;)

Filigree
03-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Now, now, Vanessa. Keep writing, hone your skills, then come back and wow 'em with your next attempt.

Angela, I nearly fell over when I read your update. I keep reminding myself 'your sub is only at six weeks,
dweeb, so settle down!' But I'm thrilled for the new-to-Carina writers who will be getting 'the call', and I look
forward to reading their books!

LaneHeymont
03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
(ba-dum-bum)

;)

I approve of this HILARIOUS joke! :)

Alley1958
03-14-2012, 06:47 AM
(ba-dum-bum)

;)

Vanessa, I love your sense of humor! :)

VanessaNorth
03-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Now, now, Vanessa. Keep writing, hone your skills, then come back and wow 'em with your next attempt.

Self-deprecation is my favorite form of humor. :)

I'm actually feeling pretty good about 1/8th through a major overhaul that is putting the book squarely back in rough draft status.

LaneHeymont
03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Self-deprecation is my favorite form of humor. :)

I'm actually feeling pretty good about 1/8th through a major overhaul that is putting the book squarely back in rough draft status.

I'm hoping/assuming you still have the version you sent Carina saved! :e2thud:

VanessaNorth
03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping/assuming you still have the version you sent Carina saved! :e2thud:

Oh, of course.

LaneHeymont
03-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh, of course.

Just making sure. :)

Deb Kinnard
03-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I made that mistake once -- learned a lesson. Turned out one house wanted to see it with "lif you ramp up the romance". Another wanted to see it "if it's not a romance."

Gaah! Think I'll go have I'M A ROMANCE WRITER - DEAL WITH IT tattooed on my arm.

VanessaNorth
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Just making sure. :)

Yep, I'm a scrivener writer, so I have all the compile versions saved as separate files (sort by date to make it easy for myself) and the current doc is the in-progress version.

LaneHeymont
03-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Yep, I'm a scrivener writer, so I have all the compile versions saved as separate files (sort by date to make it easy for myself) and the current doc is the in-progress version.

I have scrivener and tried using it, but I a. didn't understand it or b. didn't like it. I forget which it was since that was forever ago. Maybe the spellcheck/grammar wasn't up to par...or you can't save the files as .doc or .docx or .rtf etc. etc.

Wildflower90
03-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Like Filigree, I had to remind myself that the first of my subs is only on 5 weeks, but still very exciting - here's hoping some of them are AWers :0)

LaneHeymont
03-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Like Filigree, I had to remind myself that the first of my subs is only on 5 weeks, but still very exciting - here's hoping some of them are AWers :0)

I know! I'm not even two weeks out on a partial with an awesome agent, and im already jonesing. Curse you publishing industry and lethargic movement! Lol

VanessaNorth
03-15-2012, 02:11 AM
I have scrivener and tried using it, but I a. didn't understand it or b. didn't like it. I forget which it was since that was forever ago. Maybe the spellcheck/grammar wasn't up to par...or you can't save the files as .doc or .docx or .rtf etc. etc.

Oh gosh, don't get me started, I turn evangelical when I talk about my scriv. :) I love it. I've not had any trouble saving in whatever format I want, BUT I've never tried to save as a .doc file, only .rtf and .pdf (I do revision notes in bed with the ipad in pdf notes)

I'm really only scratching the surface of scrivener as an organizational tool, but so far it has blown me away. Like when I started using lightroom in conjunction with photoshop for photo editing--everything got about a million times faster.

BUT, workflow is workflow and we all like what we like, right?

LaneHeymont
03-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh gosh, don't get me started, I turn evangelical when I talk about my scriv. :) I love it. I've not had any trouble saving in whatever format I want, BUT I've never tried to save as a .doc file, only .rtf and .pdf (I do revision notes in bed with the ipad in pdf notes)

I'm really only scratching the surface of scrivener as an organizational tool, but so far it has blown me away. Like when I started using lightroom in conjunction with photoshop for photo editing--everything got about a million times faster.

BUT, workflow is workflow and we all like what we like, right?

Yes! I was checking out your website....did you make that???

oh_my_words
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Everyone,
Former long-time lurker here. I appreciate everything everyone shares and was hoping for some advice...
Crapola... five days ago I submitted what I thought was the best version of my first ms to Carina Press. The ms went through three rewrites for a Harlequin category and was ultimately rejected because I couldn't get it to fit their formula. Both my agent and I read the last rewrite multiple times during the whirlwind rewrite and I thought it was perfect. I know I should've checked, but I admit it still hurts to look at it and I really thought it was polished.
Well... I just read it over and many of the new passages have typos! I don't know what to do, it's been five days. On top of that, I submitted my second ms to them yesterday, and had to submit again because I'd converted the wrong version to RTF. I'm going to come off as super unprofessional :-(. I think it has to do with getting anxious whenever I submit. What to do...?

Captcha
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Are the new passages right at the start of the book? I think it's important to have the first chunk be as clean as possible (well, the whole thing should be as clean as possible), but if the first part of the story has the editor hooked, I wouldn't think a few typos later on would be too huge of a deal.

That's in no way an official answer. But I think writers get caught up in a lot of the small stuff, when in truth, it's the big stuff that gets us rejected.

Publishers WANT our stories! They WANT to accept our books so they can publish them and we can make money together. I don't think a couple typos are going to get in the way of an otherwise strong MS.

Fae Sutherland
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd explain and ask to resubmit if it were me. It'd be mortifying to do so, but I would. Maybe your MS got handed to an editor who doesn't mind typos, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

oh_my_words
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Thank you both so much for your advice. The typos were in the beginning and so I decided to resubmit, attaching a very honest explanation. I'm so bummed out about it, though.

I think we read the beginning so many times, even though the rewriting there was minimal, that our eyes took on the tendency to skim and see what was supposed to be there instead of what was there. It's an unconscious thing. Does this ever happen to anyone?

Anyway... painful lesson most definitely learned.

Filigree
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Nothing wrong with resubmitting and giving an honest reason. I did the same to Carina recently. In early December, I submitted what I'd thought was a clean copy. Two days later, I realized that 1) I'd forgotten to do the final format check, and 2) two betas chimed in with a critical continuity error.

So I alerted the editor, and she said 'that's fine, resubmit with a note when you're ready.' She'd set it aside and consider the later version. Between work and other writing projects, I didn't get a copy I really liked until early February.

Erin
03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you both so much for your advice. The typos were in the beginning and so I decided to resubmit, attaching a very honest explanation. I'm so bummed out about it, though.

I think we read the beginning so many times, even though the rewriting there was minimal, that our eyes took on the tendency to skim and see what was supposed to be there instead of what was there. It's an unconscious thing. Does this ever happen to anyone?

Anyway... painful lesson most definitely learned.

We're all so close to our work, it's easy to skim over errors.

What really helps in proof-reading your own work is to read it aloud. It's the best exercise ever in spotting errors (not to mention checking your dialogue, etc.)

Wildflower90
03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
What really helps in proof-reading your own work is to read it aloud. It's the best exercise ever in spotting errors (not to mention checking your dialogue, etc.)

Do you ever find yourself putting on voices?! One memorable occasion I found myself recording the "man" parts onto a recorder, and playing it back with me doing the "woman" parts in the inbetween. I can get sooo silly when reading back! :0)

Erin
03-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Do you ever find yourself putting on voices?! One memorable occasion I found myself recording the "man" parts onto a recorder, and playing it back with me doing the "woman" parts in the inbetween. I can get sooo silly when reading back! :0)

Yes! It's quite comical at times. Fortunately, no one hears me!

VanessaNorth
03-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Yes! I was checking out your website....did you make that???

my author site is based on a template through BluDomain. :) I customized it but the bones are all Blu's work. Hopefully someday I'll have a bookshelf page on there. :D

LaneHeymont
03-16-2012, 04:17 AM
my author site is based on a template through BluDomain. :) I customized it but the bones are all Blu's work. Hopefully someday I'll have a bookshelf page on there. :D

OOo, I know the feeling! I was looking at...wordpress? And their package is $100! :cry:

Angela James
03-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Change of subject: any Carina editors or authors planning on attending the Desert Dreams Conference in Tempe, AZ at the end of April? I'm still waffling, since I'm local and I have until the end of March to decide. I'm not pitching anything to anyone (I hate doing in-person pitches), but some of the panels look interesting.

No, that wasn't one of the conferences we were invited to this year. But I've been (um, 5 or 6 years ago, I think) and there's quite an array of sessions. If you're local, you might try it out!

Filigree
03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info, Angela. I'll consider it.

Wildflower90
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, despite repeating to myself that my sub is only at 5 weeks - and the other at just about 3! - still a little disappointed when I didn't get "the email" this week. How about anyone else? Hear anything, get anything??

VanessaNorth
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
wildflower, Angela's at a conference, I doubt she's making those calls from the road. :)

Eriador117
03-17-2012, 08:43 PM
No, nothing yet. Maybe no news is good news? Trying not to get my hopes up yet though :)

Annette

Filigree
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
No call for me this week. They're having another editorial meeting next week, though, if anyone cares to join me in hyperventilating.

LaneHeymont
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
No call for me this week. They're having another editorial meeting next week, though, if anyone cares to join me in hyperventilating.

How do we know all this????? Does Angela post it on Twitter? :Wha:

Wildflower90
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Most of what I know is from Twitter, lol! But as for the meeting, I think Angela James herself posted that on this very forum!! Something about 12 acquisitions being discussed.

Alley1958
03-18-2012, 12:18 AM
I haven't heard anything either. I submitted on Feb. 1st which might be a bit soon to hear anything. Still, I keep checking my email inbox for that rejection notice. I like to keep my expectations low so I'm not hugely disappointed if it doesn't work out. :)

VanessaNorth
03-18-2012, 12:20 AM
They have the editorial meetings weekly, i think they are on tuesdays. There is a lot of information on the Carina Press blog if you do a search under the tag "acquisitions"

VanessaNorth
03-18-2012, 12:22 AM
How do we know all this????? Does Angela post it on Twitter? :Wha:

you really should follow her on twitter. I can think of NO ONE else who posts as much useful information on the publishing industry.

Alley1958
03-18-2012, 02:38 AM
you really should follow her on twitter. I can think of NO ONE else who posts as much useful information on the publishing industry.

I agree, V. :) I follow Angela on both Twitter and Facebook. In addition to her informative posts on publishing, I also enjoy her posts when she's on the road. Something is always happening with her and it's pretty entertaining. Also, she has excellent taste in shoes...:D

JustJas
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Angela James is quoted in this article which I came across on the weekend for those who are interested:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/steamy-yet-discreet-an-ebook-revolution-20120316-1vahf.html

Filigree
03-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Alas, a rejection from Carina this morning. It's balanced by an acceptance from another e-pub I like, so it's not that bad.

Wildflower90
03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Aw, so sorry Filigree :0( But at least you have an acceptance from another e-pub - does that mean an offer? Are you going to be published?

On a really nosey note (!) can I ask if it was a helpful rejection?

Silver-Midnight
03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Filligree, but at least you got an acceptance from another publisher. That's good.

Filigree
03-21-2012, 03:02 AM
The latest Carina rejection wasn't as helpful as the last, since that one went into some useful detail. This was not quite a form letter. But I know that at least two editors chewed on it, so they did give it a thorough read. I'd hoped Carina would prove a home for a larger projected series of mine, so this rejection meant the last of that hope. I'll still consider them for possible standalone works in the future.

Alley1958
03-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Filagree...I'm sorry to hear you got a R from Carina, but on the bright side you did get the acceptance from the other e-publisher. Congrats!

Sorin
03-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Good and bad news is at least better than just bad news, Filagree. Are you going to accept the other offer?

Filigree
03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
I've notified the two other publishers who have the full, so I'm waiting to see what comes back. I have some career perspective issues to consider before I say 'yes' to anything.

notyourchambermaid
03-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Is there any info on sales figures (or average royalties) for Carina books available? Even anecdotally? Just curious (have seen ones for other publishers).

VanessaNorth
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry to hear of the R Filagree, but congrats on the acceptance from the other pub.

Silver-Midnight
03-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Is there any info on sales figures (or average royalties) for Carina books available? Even anecdotally? Just curious (have seen ones for other publishers).

Look at this page; I hope it helps :

http://www.eroticromancepublishers.com/p/sales.html

notyourchambermaid
03-21-2012, 11:31 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

ShannonStacey
03-22-2012, 01:04 AM

That list only shows an average first month (or quarter) of sales for Carina as 32 copies. I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

One, depending when a book releases in a quarter, there's a good chance the first statement won't include third-party sales because of the way they're reported. And, despite best efforts, direct sales aren't very strong because nooks and Kindles make it so easy to buy from the big retailers. So when I say first statement, I'm referring to the first statement that includes third-party sales because that's a more accurate representation of my sales.

Two, every publisher's going to have a broad range. Obviously at least three authors reported first quarter sales that averaged out to 32 copies. I don't know if those first statements didn't include third party sales or if their books unfortunately didn't sell. (I had a short story for Samhain that I happy danced for if it managed to break 10 copies in a month.)

For more toward the other end of the range, the bestselling of my Carina titles (third title in a non-erotic contemporary romance series) had first statement reported sales of 48,474 copies. My least-bestselling title (non-erotic contemporary romance holiday novella) had 12,861 copies on the first statement.

Being a New Englander, talking specific numbers makes me a little itchy, but I think 32 copies being the only anecdotal number available is selling a great publisher short. There's always going to be a big range when it comes to potential sales.

Fae Sutherland
03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I think 32 copies being the only anecdotal number available is selling a great publisher short. There's always going to be a big range when it comes to potential sales.

I agree. For example, my first Carina royalty check came in December. I sold 40 copies. However, that was only one week's worth of pre-orders. Because my book had gone on sale for pre-order a week before the cut-off for the pay period, I got a check for just those 7 days worth of pre-orders, but that's hardly going to be a representative number of actual first quarter sales. So I fully expect my next check, coming sometime in May I think, to be far and away more than that lol. But if I wanted to, I certainly could say "My first royalty check from Carina was only 40 copies." and people wouldn't realize the reason behind that number. Numbers need context sometimes, and this is one of those times.

It really depends on the circumstances of the people reporting.

Emily does a great service providing what numbers she can gather, but I'll say right now the numbers on the EREC chart have *never* been remotely accurate for me. I've always found them on the really low end, so don't look at them as any kind of 'this is what you can expect.' You can't expect anything.

I certainly don't expect Shannon Stacey numbers (though it sure would be nice!) but it's good to know what's possible on the upper selling curve for a pub. (Psst, Shannon, you should totally submit your numbers to EREC, screw the curve!)

Alley1958
03-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Unbelievable news! I received a call and an email from Angela today. Unfortunately, I didn't get to speak with her because I was at lunch and didn't hear my cell phone ringing. When I got back to work and discovered she'd called I just about fell off of my chair! :) Honestly, I'm still in shock. I was expecting a rejection. I can't even wrap my brain around this right now.

MysteryRiter
03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
:hooray:

Filigree
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Yay, Alley!

It's an incredible feeling, isn't it?

Xirana
03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Unbelievable news! I received a call and an email from Angela today. Unfortunately, I didn't get to speak with her because I was at lunch and didn't hear my cell phone ringing. When I got back to work and discovered she'd called I just about fell off of my chair! :) Honestly, I'm still in shock. I was expecting a rejection. I can't even wrap my brain around this right now.

Congratulations! You must be the lucky acquisition she tweeted about this afternoon - said she tried to call but no answer, and that she LOVED the book! :hooray:

Way to go! :Thumbs:

Wildflower90
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
AGH!!!!! CONGRATS!!! I am SO excited for you :0) Let us all know how it goes!!!!!

Captcha
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Congrats, Alley!

Eriador117
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear yay or nay yet ;) If I bit my nails they'd be down to the quick by now.

K. Victoria Chase
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Sorry about the R Filagree, but an acceptance from another publisher is awesome!!

Congratulations Alley!!!!

Erin
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Sorry about the R, Filigree. But good luck with the other publisher!!!

Yay! Congrats, Alley!!!

VanessaNorth
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Congrats Alley! What wonderful news. :)

Filigree
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Good luck to all who have yet to get their call!

Jennifer Robins
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Good for you Alley. Congrats.and good luck.

Silver-Midnight
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Congrats Alley

Wildflower90
03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Ha. Okay, just read this, (http://angelajames.tumblr.com/post/19731231630/editreport-trying-something-different), posted by Angela James on Twitter, and now freaking out again, wondering if it's me, am I that bad.... etc. I've decided that whilst I'm on sub, I'm just NOT looking at #editreports. It's not only bad for me, it's bad for my nails. :0)

VanessaNorth
03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Ha. Okay, just read this, (http://angelajames.tumblr.com/post/19731231630/editreport-trying-something-different), posted by Angela James on Twitter, and now freaking out again, wondering if it's me, am I that bad.... etc. I've decided that whilst I'm on sub, I'm just NOT looking at #editreports. It's not only bad for me, it's bad for my nails. :0)

You have nails left? ;)

Wildflower90
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Only stubs. But they look pretty enough with glittery polish ;0P

LaneHeymont
03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
YAY Alley!!!!! Congrats!!! Now the fun STARTS! :hooray:

shameless
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Congratulations, Alley!!! :Hug2:

Mr Flibble
03-23-2012, 02:28 AM

I was in that situation not all that long ago. OMG THAT COMMENT IS SO ABOUT MY MS!!! NOESS!!

Then they emailed to offer....

Watching editreport is probably not something that you want to do while you're on sub unless you have nerves of steel, baby. However, otherwise it is a very valuable tool for seeing just why things get accepted or rejected. As long as none of the MSs are yours....

BTW, gratz to all who got the call/email!

hillaryjacques
03-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Heck, I sometimes fret over editreport when I don't have something on sub!

Congratulations, Alley!

Alley1958
03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi everyone. I had a busy day at work so haven't had a chance to come by until now to say thank you for your kind words. I'm still in shock, to tell you the truth. It hit me today that now I will now have deadlines!

I agree about edit report. I was sure every negative comment was about my manuscript. I didn't want to read them but I couldn't help myself. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Sending good thoughts out to all who are still waiting. I hope you all get "the call".

JustJas
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone. I had a busy day at work so haven't had a chance to come by until now to say thank you for your kind words. I'm still in shock, to tell you the truth. It hit me today that now I will now have deadlines!

I agree about edit report. I was sure every negative comment was about my manuscript. I didn't want to read them but I couldn't help myself. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Sending good thoughts out to all who are still waiting. I hope you all get "the call".

Not jealous at all. Not even slightly. :D Congrats!

LadyLex
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats Alley! Carina is awesome!

ViolettaVane
03-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Congrats Alley! :hooray:

Alley1958
03-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Congrats Alley! Carina is awesome!

Thanks, LadyLex. I've heard nothing but good things about Carina and I'm thrilled to be associated with them. :snoopy:

Alley1958
03-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Congrats Alley! :hooray:

Thanks, Violetta! :)

Wildflower90
03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
....*whistles tunelessly*

Anything new?

Jennifer Robins
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Got my "R" today after just five weeks.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com (http://www.jenniferrobins.com)

Eriador117
03-27-2012, 06:32 PM
....*whistles tunelessly*

Anything new?

I'm still waiting, Wildflower :)

Take care,
Annette

JinxVelox
03-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Got my "R" today after just five weeks.

As did I. Ah well. Wishing everybody else with a submission to Carina the very best of luck. ^.^