PDA

View Full Version : Who else feels more at home here?

Nateskate
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not without hope. Some really interesting things are happening here in author-limbo. However, I think I've felt so beaten down by this whole process- and for so long- that I will never feel at home on goals and accomplishments. This is like the real world to me, the mean streets of the writers world. Here is where I relate.

I'm wondering why that is, but it's true. I'm wondering who else here feels at home on the rejection and dejection page? And I'm not saying this because we're still fighting whatever wars to get in print; but there's just something about the mean streets of "the fight" that seem more honest than whatever comes after. I think what some call success will feel surreal, because as a writer, as soon as you finish one battle, you're onto your next, and then your next.

kellion92
11-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I like this section. I view a lot of posts (novels, YA, kids, especially), but as a newer member, I have a hard time cracking a lot of the older threads. I have no idea what is being talked about most of the time.

the addster
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I think I understand how you feel Nateskate. I received copies of a book I contributed to last Friday, along with a check. Good book, good publisher, good reviews. It's nice. But right now, it means very little. I'm two projects beyond that now, I'm in another fight. I was done with the other almost a year ago when I sent it off.

I like the battle too. It's interesting. I think a lot of folks absolutely hate the submission process, and I can understand that, but as you say, it's part of it. I can't imagine being a writer if I didn't enjoy it to some degree.

CACTUSWENDY
11-10-2009, 12:34 AM
We have to bear in mind.....it is important to win the war....a few battles will be lost along the way. (Okay....maybe lots of battles...but if we pick and choose our battles ...there might be less wounds?) I still plan on winning this war.

I am one that sees the glass as half full........;)

Shadow_Ferret
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Here? In the rejection area?

No. I don't feel at home here either. There are still too many chipper, optimistic, happy sorts around here dispensing their "Chin up!" advise.

I'd like to find a dejection area were we all just sit around and go, "I suck." "You know what? I suck too." "Galdarnit! We all suck! Why are we here?" "Because we're too stupid to realize we suck, that's why."

the addster
11-10-2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think the war can be won. Even if my current project exceeds everything I've ever dreamed of (not that I think it probably will, mind you), I'll want more with the next one. There's always going to be another battle. I don't see publication as the end of it. If anything, I would think it gets more intense.

In anything else I've ever done, once you achieve some degree of success, you have to work hard at maintaining it, and moving forward. I expect this is no different.

Nateskate
11-10-2009, 02:23 AM
I think I understand how you feel Nateskate. I received copies of a book I contributed to last Friday, along with a check. Good book, good publisher, good reviews. It's nice. But right now, it means very little. I'm two projects beyond that now, I'm in another fight. I was done with the other almost a year ago when I sent it off.

I like the battle too. It's interesting. I think a lot of folks absolutely hate the submission process, and I can understand that, but as you say, it's part of it. I can't imagine being a writer if I didn't enjoy it to some degree.

I had a friend that loved car shopping, in fact two friends. I always hated the whole thing, wondering if I was getting ripped off and getting a lemmon. But they were like soldiers going to war. Lol. It's funny how we're all wired so different.

There's this part of me that doesn't thrive in conflict. My nature is to withdraw. In a sense, the pressures of the writing is exciting from the creative side, but stressful from the business side- demand's side. But this is what I choose, and I'm forced to face these things.

If I become a bestseller someday, I really think in some respects I'll feel the same as I do now.

Nateskate
11-10-2009, 02:33 AM
We have to bear in mind.....it is important to win the war....a few battles will be lost along the way. (Okay....maybe lots of battles...but if we pick and choose our battles ...there might be less wounds?) I still plan on winning this war.

I am one that sees the glass as half full........;)

I admire your outlook Wendy.

I plan on winning the war too. My stories are wanting to be birthed. But in some ways, I think my perceptions of what victory means has already changed from what I initially expected. Once I jumped to list every accomplishment; but I soon learned that those things were short lived. I supposed that it would be like crossing some mythical threshold. And I would be looking back with glee. The other side was no different, except for the momentary disallusionment of "this is it?" that followed.

I realized nothing really changed. I felt no more important, no more accomplished.

Nateskate
11-10-2009, 02:40 AM
I don't think the war can be won. Even if my current project exceeds everything I've ever dreamed of (not that I think it probably will, mind you), I'll want more with the next one. There's always going to be another battle. I don't see publication as the end of it. If anything, I would think it gets more intense.

In anything else I've ever done, once you achieve some degree of success, you have to work hard at maintaining it, and moving forward. I expect this is no different.

Lol. I feel like one of the cast members of "Clue", one of those odd duck people who might just be wired different. It's not depressing for me to hang around here. I think the thing I've come to realize is that on this side of success or that, nothing is changed. But you don't realize it until you're on the other side.

But again, I don't expect everyone to share this view, and I think it's better if they don't. People should enjoy their accomplishments.

stormie
11-10-2009, 02:52 AM
With a username like "stormie" you'd think this would be the best place for me.

It is. ..... http://bestsmileys.com/weather/5.gif

the addster
11-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Lol. I feel like one of the cast members of "Clue", one of those odd duck people who might just be wired different. It's not depressing for me to hang around here. I think the thing I've come to realize is that on this side of success or that, nothing is changed. But you don't realize it until you're on the other side.

But again, I don't expect everyone to share this view, and I think it's better if they don't. People should enjoy their accomplishments.

I agree. People should enjoy their accomplishments. Heck, I do. But there's always the next thing. Especially in a situation like writing where it takes so long to see results.

Shadow_Ferret
11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
People should enjoy their accomplishments.

But... I have no accomplishments. That's why I'm here in the first place!

If I had an accomplishment I'd be hanging out in Goals and Accomplishments. :)

Nateskate
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I agree. People should enjoy their accomplishments. Heck, I do. But there's always the next thing. Especially in a situation like writing where it takes so long to see results.

This is part of my problem, I'm always looking two to ten moves ahead and the moments are short lived. If Book One does well, what if they hate Book Two? Heck what if I finish Books Two and Three and I get stuck in the middle of the series?

This may not make sense to anyone else here. If I become famous, when I come to absolute write, this will be where I'd rather come. Unfortunately, I may be forced into a lurker role, but I just relate to the people who have to fight and struggle. Maybe because I've just felt that way all my life. You know. If you had become a lord, instead of eating bon bons at night you'd become Robbin Hood and head out into the forest to join the outcasts.

Nateskate
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
But... I have no accomplishments. That's why I'm here in the first place!

If I had an accomplishment I'd be hanging out in Goals and Accomplishments. :)

I understand fully. But you do have accompishments. You have many friends here, and some count that as more wealth than riches. You have people who value your opinion and feedback, whose lives you make a difference in.

Heck, standing on some platform getting accolades doesn't compare with that.

Shadow_Ferret
11-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Stop being so positive. :D

Phaeal
11-11-2009, 03:17 AM

Okay, Shadow Ferret. Let's all conjugate the verb "to suck."

I suck
You (singular) suck
He/she/it sucks
We suck
You (plural) suck
They suck

Teh suxxors!

You have a great avatar, though.

;)

Nateskate
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Gak...Gak...Gak. At least we're not having a Mars attack.