So, what are you afraid of?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
In this thread, let's talk about the stuff that scares the bejesus out of you. Whether it be hardcore serious fear or loopy and fun quirky fears.

On the loopy and fun side:

The Terminator movies (and the TV shows) scares the bejesus out of me because I could actually see that happening someday. In fact, I can't even look at the metal robots eyes because the red eyes are so menacing.

Snakes scare the ever-loving piss out of me. I scream like a girl everytime I see one.

Mice scare me initially (i.e. when I first see one I'll jump like a basketball player doing a slam dunk), but once I see them, I get used to them and they don't bother me.

I am Legend freaked me out for weeks.

And, on the more serious side:

I fear that people judge me with the same judgement that I judge them, and that my disapproval of people is really just disapproval of myself.

I fear that I'll never come to terms with the issues I have with religion and that by the time my life is over, I'll have wasted it on material shit without ever taking the time to look at the spiritual stuff.

I fear that if I don't quit smoking soon, I'm gonna do some real damage to my body.

That's enough for now. Now, it's your turn.

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
I have a fear of deep water. I'm not a strong swimmer even now, just the basics, and didn't even learn how until I was 14. Have had a couple scary/bad experiences and I can't imagine a worse way of dieing. Something about the fear of drowning coupled with the dark, suffocating, loneliness, and cold of deep water, and not knowing whats beneath me....just creeps me out. I'll play in the ocean or swim in a pool or pond...and I have been deep sea fishing. But I just never feel completely comfortable when I'm around deep water....makes me nervous and uncomfortable.

I hate spiders. The way they move and look....uh. They creep me out and I won't be within 10 ft of one without killing it. If I can kill it, fine....if its gets away from me I'll be jumpy and creeped out for hours.

I'm afraid that I won't ever reach my goals. That I'll never get the kind of life that I desire, never get a good job, and be in debt until I die from college loans I'll never be able to pay back.

I'm afraid I will die alone..... simple, I'm afraid I'll never meet a girl who works for me. Have only had one serious girlfriend and it just wasn't right, didn't work out to say the least. Now I can't even meet a girl I'm interested in, much less one who feels the same way. And to top it all I'm not good at flirting or meeting girls... if I can get them on a date then I'm fine, no problem, I'm fairly charming and funny...its all good. But I can't meet them, I don't have the nerve to walk up to a girl I don't know and start a conversation/ask for a number/etc.

Funny how much easier it is to admit stuff like this to strangers when you never could to someone you know.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only think of two things that really scare the jibblies out of me.

1.) Getting startled. It doesn't matter what by. I'm more afraid of being caught off guard than whatever thing it is that startled me. I like to be prepared.

2.) Having to work as a nurse FOREVER.

ETA: My family takes full advantage of my exaggerated startle reflex. They are constantly hiding around corners and blasting me awake with airhorns because they love to see me bang my head on the ceiling as I'm jumping out of my skin.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the Green Bay Packers will win just enough games the rest of the season to keep the GM's and Coach's jobs safe for another year.

We'll do our best to put you guys deeper into the loss column next week, if it makes you feel better. Go Cowboys!

And on the lighter side of what scares me, pretty much every time Tony Romo puts the ball in the air my heart turns into a helium balloon. He's been playing very well of late, but it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Driving in the rain has had me feeling a bit jittery lately, mostly because I don't trust other drivers.

Putting my work out there to succeed or potentially fail scares me into temporary inaction sometimes.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Who poot in pantyhose...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I always had a fear of being buried alive.

And on the lighter side of what scares me, pretty much every time Tony Romo puts the ball in the air my heart turns into a helium balloon. He's been playing very well of late, but it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

THAT was always my biggest fear when Favre was on our team. Every time he threw the ball my stomach twitched. Luckily, that problem has been taken care of.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
First of all, our building has been bought out and they are doing some weird work in the back that makes the building tremble and shake constantly.

I am terrified of losing my job and having to go live with my sister

Clowns. Clowns suck. And so the assholes who dress up like clowns and scare people.

Someone breaking in my house and killing me, or being in a huge house and hearing the murderers come creep, creep, creeping up. And my gun is down in the library.

Dying all alone.

Working in this shit job for the rest of my life (yeah, that job i'm afraid of losing - I wanna keep it till I 'make it')

Don't judge me.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid to be on an elevator by myself.

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Tough question. I don't usually think deep enough to have a legitimate fear. But as a believer, I'm scared my kids won't want to accept Christ.

As a general rule, any time I hear a gutteral scream my heart stops, thinking someone has chopped an arm off.

In deep hormonal moments, I worry about bankruptcy.

I adhere more to the policy that you can't change a thing in life by worrying, and being afraid/fearful kind of falls into that category, though not completely.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I am in the Outer Limits. I am sure this thread has already been done.

I am afraid of being in a car near water. Backing up a car to put a boat in the water? Isn't gonna happen. I am the person standing a good distance away praying the brakes don't fail. Driving up to a lake side to go fishing? Not unless you do the driving and let me out to walk to the last 100 ft. I used to make my mom stop the car when we came to a bridge that crossed a river so I could walk across. I am better these days. My heart hardly pounds fast when I have to cross over water on a bridge.

Other than that, I am a tad afraid of being homeless and having no money to eat on. I have been there in my 20's and now that I am older, I am pretty sure I wouldn't survive it. So financial down turns make me nervous. I am currently practicing lots of meditation. ;)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Strangely enough, sharks. And I haven't even seen Jaws. I have no idea where this comes from, but I suspect you'd have a hard time persuading me to slip over the side of a boat for a swim, despite the fact that I love water and swimming. Just not where there might be sharks. Maybe it's because I actually knew someone who survived a shark attack. Who knows? I do find this really weird, because I'm not the fearful type. I've stood 20 ft. away from a lightning strike (on our property, with my kids) and I still enjoy thunderstorms.

There are a lot of things I hope never to face, but I can't say that I'm afraid of them. Not in any visceral way.

Having said all that, doing taxes comes close to inspiring panic attacks.

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
Failure.

Yet I procrastinate. Maybe I'm becoming tolerant

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the movie Canoa last year, and it still gives me nightmares. It depicts the real life events, when several university workers were lynched by a mob, after the local priest accused them of being communists.

The terrible violence and impotence depicted scared me to no end, specially since part of my job consists on going to rural communities to teach the teenagers how to use a condom properly.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I am in the Outer Limits. I am sure this thread has already been done...
It was; quite recently, too.

...part of my job consists on going to rural communities to teach the teenagers how to use a condom properly.
That sounds like a tough gig. It should be the job of parents, though, to teach their kids, both male and female, the proper use of condoms. I didn't chance a stranger to cover all of the bases. And I made damn sure that all of them, including my daughter, carried at least two rubbers with them when they left the house. You just never know when they'll come in handy. ;)

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a tough gig. It should be the job of parents, though, to teach their kids, both male and female, the proper use of condoms. I didn't chance a stranger to cover all of the bases. And I made damn sure that all of them, including my daughter, carried at least two rubbers with them when they left the house. You just never know when they'll come in handy. ;)

That'd be ideal. Sadly, quite an scary amount of parents believe that their offspring don't need sex-ed, because they plan for their children to reach the holy status of matrimony with their virginhood intact.

Excuse me while I giggle.

WackyMuttley.jpg

What scares me the most? Two things--failure and apathy.

meh.

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
Lighter side: Bugs. Bugs and spiders. If they move faster than I do (and that's not too hard for a bug), I'm scared of it. :eek:

Serious side: I'm scared to death of forced sex. Never happened before, and I technically have no risk of it happening to me. Yet, when I'm all hormonal and easily mortified, I lie there in bed at night hoping that no one breaks into the house. Or at least if someone does, I hope that all they want to do is loot the place or kill me. It's a fate worse than death, for me. I watched the movie Crossing Over yesterday, and that didn't help one bit. Every scene with the Aussie chic made me have panic attacks. >_<

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My fear is the same every time this thread comes up: Sunfish.

Also, one I neglected to mention before: I have a thin neck and a sensitive choke reflex, so I am scared of being alone at home and choking on something. This is the only reason I continue to pay for my land line - so I can call 911 and they can trace my address and send someone over if I can't talk.