Being in the presence of your hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So you know those rhetorical questions we always get asked, like if you could meet and talk to one famous person who would that be? Well I always thought that meeting one of my favorite authors would be it.

So the author, Jhumpa Lahiri is coming for a reading at my university tomorrow and I'm so excited! She's my writer-hero! Anyways, I've met some fabulous authors in the past and have always walked away without saying or asking anything brilliant. Later on, I always smack myself for letting that chance slip away. I don't want to let this chance go!

What have you done in the presence of someone you admired? Particularly a writer you really like and look up too! I'm generally a friendly, talkative person but the minute I'm in front of a famous author I totally blank out! Advice, stories, anecdotes appreciated!!!!

Raiyah

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to talk to Sherman Alexie once, along with my writers' workshop, when he came here to do a talk at the college. It was very easy to talk to him because for one thing, they set up the encounter for us so we could have some one-on-one time with him before he went on stage (well, one-on-six, really, because it was the whole workshop) to ask him questions about writing and publishing and whatnot. I knew I was going to have this opportunity ahead of time, so I just thought up and wrote down some specific questions to ask, so that even if I got nervous or clammed up, I could have something to refer to. It took a couple awkward moments for someone to speak up, but once the ice was broken it was easy.

Now, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Sherman Alexie. Don't get me wrong--I love his work, and I do admire him a good deal as a human being as well as a writer--but I don't consider him a personal hero. If this had been Neil Gaiman I was meeting, it might have turned out a little differently. All the same, I'd say thinking of something specific that you want to say/ask, and then writing it down so you don't forget in that moment of awestruck hero worship, will help a lot.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I once insinuated that one of Mary Roach's books was dedicated to her husband's wiener -- over a microphone, at a very large reading. She took it well. She's a trooper.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't actually have a hero, I don't think.

There are writers whose work I really enjoy, but it doesn't reach the level of worship that I think makes up a "hero".

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I met Ray Bradbury and had like 60 seconds to talk to him while he was signing my book. I told him how I was a writer because I discovered his books when I was a kid. Because of the noise in the room and the fact that he's old and hard of hearing, I am pretty sure he didn't hear a thing I said, but... in the end, you know, it didn't matter. It was something I'd been dreaming of telling him for most of my life. I think he probably got the gist of it from my silly grin.

Be prepared to be disappointed, though... I once went to hear another of my favorite authors speak. I won't name him because he droned on for an hour about... well I can't even remember now. It was so monotonous and sleep-inducing that I ended up leaving early to save my sanity. Still love him as a writer... wouldn't bother seeing him in person, though! :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I have met Joyce Carol Oates twice, both times when she was being interviewed in London - 1989 and 2007. I got to speak to her briefly, both times. She's very charming and a very witty and interesting interviewee. I do wonder if I'll get another chance as she's 71 now but still producing novels and short stories as if there's no tomorrow.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I met Tamora Perice twice. She is a tough lady, as tough and capable as her characters.

Oh, also, she has some brutally effective advice.

My favorite is this one. Tammy on Romantic Tension: Make em wanna fuck, then don't let them.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I've never met anyone famous unless you count seeing Kevin Costner at a bar in Jackson Hole WY-

But if I get a wish list for authors, it would be Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, Rick Riordon, but the one person I realy want to meet would be my mentor and freind- He is the reason my book is being published. We've had an online relationship for three years, (freindship:) ) but he is in Tennessee and I'm not:) I would love to meet him-

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Truthfully, it doesn't bother me to meet "celebrities" any more because I've met so many. I have a friend who is an actor from a TV series, two soaps, and two James Bond movies. We'd go to one of his plays, and he'd drag over his costar to introduce us. One time, we ate lunch with him in a hotel where a convention was being held. There were these two cats outside, and we watched them and talked about cats.

Once I met William Windom, and we stood there for about fifteen minutes swapping war stories (literally. He was a WWI Vet, and I was a Desert Storm Vet). I watched Richard Hatch mug for the camera with a stuffed animal backpack (very silly and fun). Linda Harrison walked up to say hi to me and another fan. I was thinking her dress was very pretty (it was my favorite color), and the other fan was tounge-tied. Afterwards, he was amazed I didn't fall down on me knees to worship her.

I brought all this to my local writer's conference pitch sessions. Myself and another writer run them every year. We get to stay in a room with 10-20 agents all day. I know my actor friend gets a lot of questions about his TV series that he's probably tired of, so when I talk to the agents, it's about non-writing related things. Same thing for the writers--and everyone remembers me.

Remember one basic thing: They're people. They like chocolate or coffee or cookies. They might have a pet at home. Be friendly, smile, be sincere, and genunine.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've met quite a few authors. The one who remains my biggest inspiration is Wayson Choy. He is an incredible person. He transcends 'celebrity'. He's just a genuine wonderful soul. I really enjoyed my time with him and look forward to seeing him again.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Vlad Nabokov is dead, so I can't be in his glorious presence. If I were, I'd probably lick his eyeball.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been impessed with fame. To my mind, there's nothing heroic about writers, actors, politicians, etc. There are writers I like, actors I like, politicians I vote for, but I've met many of them, and they're no different than Joe the plumber, or Kate the cardiologist. They just have a different job. Treating them differently is just silly.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I commiserated with Ellen Datlow about the really slow elevators at a WorldCon.

I'd really like to talk to Susanna Clarke about the Raven King, though, and the joys of long footnotes.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I found myself sitting next to Jacqueline Carey on a flight from NY to LA. I wouldn't have known it was her if she hadn't noticed that I had been reading a copy of her novel Godslayer. I did my best not to bother her, but she was quite gracious when I told her that my wife and I loved her Kushiel novels.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I just attended a four-day conference where among the writers I love to read was Steve Almond, an insane mother fucker (author of several short story collections and non-fiction and fiction books) whom I quickly admired with reckless abandon--the most dangerous kind of abandon. I wanted to tell him this on the final day, before he left. I wanted to let him know how great and wonderful and lucidly dreamy talking about writing for four days was, and how he was such an integral cogwheel of the whole freaking thing. This is how I said goodbye:

I finish eating a turkey sub, listening to NPR in my car in the parking lot at the conference. I close the windows, get out of the car.

"Hey," says a voice. It's someone getting into the car parked beside me.

"Hey," I say, and realize it's Steve Almond, who closes the door to his car and drives off.

I could say to remember these people are human, and they're probably afraid and uncomfortable to meet you just as you are them, that they're worried they'll say the wrong thing or they're socially disadvantaged. Perhaps they just say 'fuck' a lot and make inappropriate sexual suggestions constantly (looking at you, Steve).

But once I am actually in the room with writers I love I become a babbling fanboy. And I guess that's okay, too.

Hey Guys,

So you know those rhetorical questions we always get asked, like if you could meet and talk to one famous person who would that be? Well I always thought that meeting one of my favorite authors would be it.

So the author, Jhumpa Lahiri is coming for a reading at my university tomorrow and I'm so excited! She's my writer-hero! Anyways, I've met some fabulous authors in the past and have always walked away without saying or asking anything brilliant. Later on, I always smack myself for letting that chance slip away. I don't want to let this chance go!

What have you done in the presence of someone you admired? Particularly a writer you really like and look up too! I'm generally a friendly, talkative person but the minute I'm in front of a famous author I totally blank out! Advice, stories, anecdotes appreciated!!!!

Raiyah

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I see you asked for anecdotes, so here's one for you as a reminder that famous writers are human:

Many years ago, I went to a food writing conference where Lynne Rosetto Kasper (host of public radio's "The Splendid Table" and a fantastic cookbook writer) was a speaker. I was so intimidated that I couldn't say anything to her even though we were standing next to each other in line for the lunch buffet. Then all of a sudden she got this surprised look on her face, then said to me, "I don't know if I just split my pants or the lining." Well, that broke the ice, and I sat next to her at lunch. She was very nice. And luckily, only the lining split.

So really, they're normal people. Trust me.

Although honestly, I don't know what I'd say if I met Jhumpa Lahiri. She's one of my favorite writers.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I smoked a few cigarettes with Russell Banks tonight. Said hello to Michael Ondaatje. Hung with Joseph Boyden. Filled Vincent Lam in on my marital troubles. Had champagne with Linden McIntyre after he won the Giller...

They're just people. And as eager to pillage an open bar as I am.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I commiserated with Ellen Datlow about the really slow elevators at a WorldCon.

I'd really like to talk to Susanna Clarke about the Raven King, though, and the joys of long footnotes.

Ellen Datlow is a very nice lady, though you always have to bear in mind at a convention that EVERYONE wants a piece of her time. At the 2005 Glasgow Worldcon, I introduced a writer to her whom she hadn't met before but whom she had reprinted in Year's Best Fantasy & Horror.

Susanna Clarke signed my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. She seemed very pleasant. Her and her partner Colin Greenland often form an effective double act by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.