• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

The Cold King, beta reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've finished the first draft of my novel The Cold King and now I've finished reading through it, touching things up and making sure its not *completely* stupid.

Unfortunately, I'm hamstrung by being the author, which colors my perceptions a bit. And thus, we come to the need for beta readers!

The Cold King is a fantasy novel about a young man named Conrad Kaksonen. He is the illegitimate heir to the Emperor, the one chosen by fate to save the world from the great big evil that is returning from the West...and he is also a cold blooded sociopath and master manipulator.

The story follows his attempts to reunite the Empire before the big evil shows up.

If you want to beta read this, I have three things I want you to especially look out for!

An evilly interesting character: Kaksonen is an evil person, a sociopath. He is also trying to save the world (for all the wrong reasons) and the viewpoint character for most of the book. And so, I tried to strike a balance between him being evil and him still being someone you want to read about.

A realistic world: Magic is kept very low in this universe, with only a few non-Earth-like things being present. I tried to aim for late middle ages technology, interspersed with remains of a more advanced time...there are other places in this world, some with more advanced machines, just as the ancient Islamic nations of the Dark Ages was the flower of culture compared to muddy old Europe. However, I'm NOT a scholar who has studied this period of history (my knowledge falls more in the postindustrial, preinformation era of the twentith century) so if I do something wrong or anacrhonistic, please tell me!

A consistent voice: The voice of this novel is very different from my normal voice, so if you spot the 'voice' kind of...lapse into something different or jarring, please make a note of it.

So, if you're interested, post here and I'll rep my E-mail account to you and then you can E-mail me and I can E-mail you the story.

Or...you can just PM your E-mail...

Status
Not open for further replies.