Why do U.S. Thanksgiving and Canadian Thanksgiving fall on different months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Up here in Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October. Yet down in America, they celebrate in November?

I don't understand. Why is this? Why does Canada celebrate one month earlier than in America?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Why does Canada celebrate Thanksgiving at all?

Deleted member 42

Up here in Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October. Yet down in America, they celebrate in November?

I don't understand. Why is this? Why does Canada celebrate one month earlier than in America?

Both dates were sorta spontaneously picked with a goal of a "fall harvest" sort of thing.

Neither is tied to a particular historical date; both were made "official" by respective government declarations by two very separate governments.

Doesn't really mean more than that.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
our harvest is earlier. and we're better...so we come first.

LOCK THREAD.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies. He was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him - Frobisher Bay.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This thread title is kinda misleading. For a moment there, I thought Thanksgiving wasn't coming around for another two months from now. I had to check the calendar to make sure I wasn't trapped in a time warp or something.

It doesn't take much to confuse me, apparently.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
LOL, actually it was me who informed him of it, last month when we were debating who came up with it first. It seems you Canadians did. ;)

Kim...I don't remember you 'informing' me...I just remember you being pissed off that we came first. (-;

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Kim...I don't remember you 'informing' me...I just remember you being pissed off that we came first. (-;
Oh is that so? I do recall giving you the URL to the article, to which I believe your comment was, "You're shitting me!" and your howling laughter was such that I could hear it from Ontario to Utah. Ungracious, twit. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
So Canadians don't have the element of having their a$$es saved by Native Americans? But that's my favorite part :D :D

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh is that so? I do recall giving you the URL to the article, to which I believe your comment was, "You're shitting me!" and your howling laughter was such that I could hear it from Ontario to Utah. Ungracious, twit. :D

lol. I remember the laughter.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, for the remedial students such as myself, Canadians celebrate the fall harvest and Americans celebrate popcorn. Is that right? Do Canadians get to eat turkey for Thanksgiving or do they have to eat only geese and bacon? I'm pretty sure that Canadians only have geese and bacon for meat, but I could be wrong. And what about pizza? If you're Canadian and you eat a pizza with Canadian bacon on it in Canada, is it just a bacon pizza? And why is a pizza with Canadian bacon and pineapple on it called a Hawaiian?

*puts hand down and quietly takes seat in the back of the classroom*

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
blame-canada.jpg

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
*puts hand down and quietly takes seat in the back of the classroom*

You can join me back here. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I have no clue what it is. I also didn't know Canada celebrated it, but that actually makes sense.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I only came in to slap Kay.

Ka-CHY!

There we go.

I'm off to defend Canadians somewhere else now.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft. Canadians. Why slap when you can nuke? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.