!?

Ervin

Registered
Reaction score
In dialogue, is it generally acceptable to end a sentence with "!?", to express an exclaimed question? I've seen some books do it and I like doing it my self, but I don't know how many other people get pissed off at this.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmm. I've seen it in comic dialog, but I don't think I've actually ever seen it in commercial fiction. I've got to admit, it would put me right off.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've seen it in light-hearted novels before. I use it in blog posts for the same reason. It's a little over-the-top if you're trying to be serious, but it might have its place if you're writing something less serious/more informal.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've seen this a lot in comics, but never in novels, although that's not to say I wouldn't use it (sparingly) if the situation called for shocked emphasis, e.g. and just for fun's sake:

Jane opened the bedroom door and stared in horror at Bob, who was wearing her black lace undies. "What the hell?!"

"I'm doing story research," Bob explained. "My character's mom raised him as a girl. He has issues. It's not me."

-Derek

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
Some people want to create a new punctuation mark to express a surprised question, called an interrobang. But, really it's not good to use it or anything like "!?" It's better to just express exclamation using context, and use either an exclamation mark or a question mark depending on what you want to stress.

"What the hell?" The phrase itself expresses exclamation. A question mark is all you need. But the question mark gives it a bit more of an interrogative tone.

"What the hell!" Again, the context makes it clear it is a question of sorts, but really it is more of an exclamation, almost as if the person quoted is shouting, angry, and is not asking a question so much as expressing emotion.

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
I've seen this a lot in comics, but never in novels, although that's not to say I wouldn't use it (sparingly) if the situation called for shocked emphasis, e.g. and just for fun's sake:

Jane opened the bedroom door and stared in horror at Bob, who was wearing her black lace undies. "What the hell?!"

"I'm doing story research," Bob explained. "My character's mom raised him as a girl. He has issues. It's not me."

-Derek

BTW, your name is really Bob, isn't it?! Don't try to hide it. I'll buy your "research" explanation. :p