PDA

View Full Version : I'm done!

Azure Skye
07-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I just finished the first draft to a middle-grade fiction novel. Woohoo!

Azure Skye
07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Ok, this is weird.

Is it normal to feel some sort of let-down when finished.

azbikergirl
07-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Congrats! You've done what many people only dream of.

I don't know if it's normal, but I think I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel sort of drained when I'm done. There's the ecstacy of finishing, then the cold, hard slap of reality when I realize that was only step one. I have to take a mental 'deep breath' before I can start the next draft, but once I get going on it, the enthusiasm envelops me once again.

triceretops
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
A hearty congrats to you, Azura. I'm a finisher too. Not to worry about your baby being finished. Get her ready for the big world, and if she performs well enough, you'll be seeing her again via rewrites from editors or agents. Give it your best revision after a short cooling off period.

Tri

mommie4a
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Way to go! Congrats.

black winged fighter
07-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Congratulations - I am in that strange in between period as well. I'm ignoring my manuscript for a while before I do yet another draft, and I know the strange elation/let down that you spoke of. Push through it and keep going!
Good luck!

l.stormgaye
07-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I took 7 years to finish my first screenplay. It was like taking a long dump after eating years of greasy food. Once done, I was relieved that the weight was lifted. However, apprehension and doubt set in real fast.

Honey Nut Loop
07-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Congratulations on finishing. I find when i finish a piece of writing i feel empty because i don't know what to do with myslef. Don't worry, relief usually sets in fairly quickly. And then (but this may just be me) eventually you hate the story so much you never want to see it again anyway. lol.

Azure Skye
07-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Congratulations on finishing. I find when i finish a piece of writing i feel empty because i don't know what to do with myslef.

Yeah, I don't know what to do with myself. I've been plugging along for so long now that my only goal was to finish. Now that that part is finished I have to create a new goal. It's a strange kind of feeling and I'm way too tired to articulate it correctly. Bleah.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.