Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosh

Will Write for Food
Registered
Reaction score
Website
negrobrooding.blogspot.com
I have an idea for a short story, but I'm not familiar with the structure (I've spent more time on screenwriting). Can anyone give me information on structuring short fiction and the submission process?

Rulato

Registered
Reaction score
A short story is basically anywhere from about 1000 words to 10000 words, a flash fiction piece is anything under a 1000. Other than that a short story has all the same elements as a novel. It's just condensed into less words. As to the submission process always read the guidelines of the places you submit to and if possible read the things they usually publish so you get a feel for their preferred style of writing. Short stories can be submitted to anthologies,publishers,agents or magazines.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Structure

I'm not sure what you mean by "structure?" The structure of a short story is the same as the structure for a screenplay. Only the manner of writing is different. In a short story, you include narrative that you leave out of a screenplay. You just have to read a bunch of short stories. There is no other way to know how to write one.

Technically, a short story iis from 2,000--7,500 words. Under 2,000 is a short-short, and from 7,500--17,500 is a novelette.

There's really a huge difference between a short story and a novel, and the difference is far more than simply length. The only real answer is to read as many short stories as you can find that are in whatever genre you wish to write in. Reading many short stories is the only way to learn how to write one.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
In the the header of your manuscript, the cover letter, and on your contract list your legal name. This is the name that will appear on the check. On the byline of the manuscript, list the pen name you wish to use. This is the name that will appear in the publication. If the editor has any questions about what name they would like used, they will ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.