Did I make a mistake?

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Since my last post about submitting exactly what an agent wants, something else has come up that I don't know what to do and hope that someone out there can point me in the right direction.

In the last 2-3 weeks, I've had 3 agents request a partial and full manuscripts. I am thrilled! But here's where I don't know what do to. I just got a request from another agent wanting to see a partial but she said "on an exclusive two week basis". Do I state in a letter when I send her the material that it is also being viewed by other agents? Do I not say anthing at all? Isn't it best to be honest up front?

I've read that I should keep sending out queries, lord knows how long it's going to take for an agent to read something being how busy they are...but what do I do here? I don't want to upset anyone and ruin a chance of being represented.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I owe so much to Absolute Write, all the help I've gotten with writing queries and such, you guys are awesome! Thanks.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I would tell him the truth and ask if he still wants to see it.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Wayne said. Except, I would go ahead and send it, but put clearly in the email that you can't grant an exclusive because the manuscript is already with other agents. And then end with something like you have attached the requested material so that if the agent wishes she can read it.

Now, what you risk is that she won't read it, but you've made it easy for her is she wishes to read it.

good luck.

~suki

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You might go further and since a two week exclusive isn't unreasonable for length, say that you won't send out any further partials or fulls until that time period has passed. In other words, the agent doesn't have to worry about new competitors, all he or she has to worry about are the old ones.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome advice guys, thanks. But should I list by name the agents that have the partials and fulls? Just so that the agent doesn't think I'm snowballing her? Maybe...no...yes?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Awesome advice guys, thanks. But should I list by name the agents that have the partials and fulls? Just so that the agent doesn't think I'm snowballing her? Maybe...no...yes?
No.

And you'll often find if you send out a letter saying you cannot give an exclusive because others are already reading, agents often say, ok, send it anyway.

Best advice ever: Never lie about stuff, even by omission, and be upfront about everything.

cswayden

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thanks a lot. I'm writing up my letter to send to her tonight and in the mail first thing tomorrow with fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As only a two-week exclusive was asked for, you could perhaps promise that you won't accept any other offers if they come in within the two-week period: that way, the agent knows he'll have the time he originally wanted to read your book and reach a decision. And it would be good to have that thinking-time factored in if any other agents approach you: they're very unlikely to demand an immediate response if they make you an offer.