Band Names

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, I was introduced to a band who rejoice under the moniker of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. As band names go, I think that one's way up there amongst my favourites (and not just because of the lifestyle choices it promotes).

It got me thinking about what I'll call my band when I grow up to be a real boy. Obviously, I'm predisposed to like 'Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem' but I've also considered 'Mr. Man and the Lady Pleasers'.

Anyhow, let me present you with this timeless philosophical conundrum - if you were cool enough to have a band, what would you call it?

References to eggplant will be treated with the same gravitas as all other suggestions.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Cursed by Thoth.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in numerous bands. Most of them had crappy names. I personally was very fond of Soylent Rock or something to that effect. It was a while ago.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so good at this I'm loath to play. About six or seven years ago, I wrote a play in which one character mentions three bands he likes, all of them made up, which another character pretends to recognize and praise. All three got no hits when I researched them, but became the names of real bands in three years or so. When I rewrote it as a short story, I put in three new band names, and you guessed it. It only took two years for each name to be claimed.

Maryn, who's six for six

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'm so good at this I'm loath to play. About six or seven years ago, I wrote a play in which one character mentions three bands he likes, all of them made up, which another character pretends to recognize and praise. All three got no hits when I researched them, but became the names of real bands in three years or so. When I rewrote it as a short story, I put in three new band names, and you guessed it. It only took two years for each name to be claimed.

Maryn, who's six for six

Well what are the names?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, I was introduced to a band who rejoice under the moniker of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. As band names go, I think that one's way up there amongst my favourites (and not just because of the lifestyle choices it promotes).

Ha! Those dudes (or most of em) came from my high school. Yeah, even the raging feminist in me has to admit that that's an awesome name for a band.

In another thread about a weird news story I picked out the name "The Combat-Ready Swedish Brassieres" as pretty rad. One of my WIPs features the adventures of a fictional Cali band called "Stars My Destination".

A real band name that I love is "Red Elvises". The Red Elvises are a band of Russian guys in America who play surf guitar rock. They put on a damn fine show, and it's all just about as weird as you'd imagine! I think they're going by Igor and Red Elvises now.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, who's six for six

I played a game like that years ago with my old band. We came up with Radiohead but decided Cassettehead was funnier.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am personally fond of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. I would by a CD if this were a real name, because I would expect it would be full of nonsensical goodness. I think I would suck at this game, as all names that come to mine are single words and if I linked them all together I would sound like I had Tourette's. How about The Dangling Butt Nuggets? No? I didn't think so.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a ska kinda mood today. (These are real bands.)

* Animal Chin
* Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
* Blue Meanies
* Big D and the Kids Table
* Bim Skala Bim
* Bomb the Music Industry!
* Choking Victim
* The Donkey Show
* Edna's Goldfish
* Farse
* Go Jimmy Go
* Goldfinger
* The Insyderz
* Jeffries Fan Club
* Johnny Socko
* King Apparatus
* Leftöver Crack
* Let's Go Bowling
* Los Kung-Fu Monkeys
* Mustard Plug
* No Torso

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well what are the names?
I'm not sure I can remember them all. O Negative was one (now there's Type O Negative). Fifth Grade. Cherry Bomb (Cherry Bomb Project). I'm blanking, one was something about dentists, another bowling, and one involved geishas, or maybe it was bowling geishas. I considered a whole lot of silly names, and our kids, then teens, used to have lots of fun proposing ridiculous band names.

Alas, early drafts of the work were lost in the great computer crash, so all I have is the revised stuff. It's got Loathsome and Bad Clams.

Maryn, who's been wanting the Clams CD

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The band in my novel, With The Band, is called Schadenfreude.

If I had a band, that's probably what I would call it. Either that or Dirty Smeconds to Cars...

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Anyhow, let me present you with this timeless philosophical conundrum - if you were cool enough to have a band, what would you call it?

I had a band. It was called Doomed Space Marines.

If i start another, and can get nine other dudes involved, I'm gonna call it The Ten Who Were Taken.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If i start another, and can get nine other dudes involved, I'm gonna call it The Ten Who Were Taken.

You don't need ten members for that. Look at Ben Folds Five.

For a second I thought you had posted "Crowley's Thoth", which is the name of a band that figures prominently in my WIP. :)

Early in our career we split from the Crowley Krew. I don't like to talk about it.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think BenPanced would make a good band name.