Please don't do this to your beloved pet

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I was in rush hour traffic today and movement to the left of me caught my attention. There on the back of a truck was this poor doggie, untethered with no hollowed out place to sit in. It was stuck on top of everything pacing back and forth as the owner paid no mind to the fact the poor dog was in danger.

I couldn't even bear to look for fear the person would have to slam on their breaks and that would be the end of that beautiful animal.

So please, please don't do this.

I'm surprised people endanger their animal like that. I was about to say they'd never let a child do it and then thought, oh yes some people would.

So I'm begging you, please don't put your animals at risk like that.

I'm so upset I can't even think.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, happens here in AZ too.

There's often at least half a dozen small kids thrown in the back too.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Why? Why do people do this? Seriously...I had to stop watching that poor dog pace. I was terrified for it. If I thought I could report them I would have but I don't know there's a law against such a thing. Is there?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't like seeing that either, Kim. It's horrid.

I'm nervous enough having my girl in the van without some sort of safety device holding her down. I'm sure they're out there...but I don't own one.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to say they'd never let a child do it and then thought, oh yes some people would.

Yes, the group of kids hanging out of the bed of a pickup driven by some idiot. People around here do that a lot. I can't stand it--I have to look away.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Why? Why do people do this? Seriously...I had to stop watching that poor dog pace. I was terrified for it. If I thought I could report them I would have but I don't know there's a law against such a thing. Is there?

Sadly, there are a lot of morons around. It's dreadful here when you see it in the middle of summer when the temps are well into the hundreds. It's part of a rancher's accessory collection, dog loose in the back of the pick-up and a gun rack hanging on the rear window.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like seeing that either, Kim. It's horrid.

I'm nervous enough having my girl in the van without some sort of safety device holding her down. I'm sure they're out there...but I don't own one.
I've seen one advertised, Kevin, I try to remember where I saw it. It's like an extension that clips into a regular seat belt.
Yes, the group of kids hanging out of the bed of a pickup driven by some idiot. People around here do that a lot. I can't stand it--I have to look away.
Don't even get me started on talking about how my ex wanted to transport my kids in the back of a truck with a topper, no ventilation no safety gear from Utah to Oregon in the dead heat of August.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for not thinking I'm an over emotional woman. It just kept pacing back and forth and would have to really dig in. It was stop and go traffic. Five lanes jam packed. :(

I just can't shake the feeling.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for not thinking I'm an over emotional woman. It just kept pacing back and forth and would have to really dig in. It was stop and go traffic. Five lanes jam packed. :(

I just can't shake the feeling.

I hate seeing animals being treated badly. If there's any news story, I'll turn the channel or turn the volume down. Sometimes it is hard to put stuff like that out of your mind.

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
It's been a few years since I've seen an untethered dog on the back of a pickup (or ute, as we like to call them), but I do regularly see dogs tied up with a rope that's too long. Like, seriously, the dog would be better off without a rope at all than one just long enough to hang the fellow if he slips. >_<

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't get this blatant kind of ignorant act.

I mean, Okay I've seen it done on a country road, someone out for a quiet drive very slow, no traffic and still I worried. But this, was abusive. They shouldn't be allowed to have the dog.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
you don't mean a dog in the back of a truck, but rather, a dog on the back of a flat-bed truck? is that what you mean? no sides to keep the dog in the box? or do you have issue with both?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
you don't mean a dog in the back of a truck, but rather, a dog on the back of a flat-bed truck? is that what you mean? no sides to keep the dog in the box? or do you have issue with both?
I mean it was a regular truck so jammed full of things the dog had no where to stand but on top of the junk or the tool box. And yes, I'd have trouble with both if the dog was left untethered.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that happened and sure sorry you're so upset, Cassi... People can be thoughtless, unfortunately.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
The world is full of stupid, there's nothing none of us can do about that. I always wish when I see some moron do something stupid to a pet, or any animal, that I could do to them what they did to the poor animal. Stupid is as stupid does.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Slight derail warning but slightly on topic as well.

Hubby and I were driving on the highway and noticed something fluffy in the space between a tractor trailer and the cab. It's right behind the cab and there are wires and things hanging down.

Hubby said "Look, there's a stuffed animal on the backside of the cab of that truck" right as I realized it was a chicken...a live chicken clinging for dear life on a wire while the truck screamed down the interstate.

I don't think this was intentional and we tried to get the driver's attention to pull over. I don't know if he did or not, but he saw us waving him down.

Chalk that up to one of the top 5 most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
City folk always freak about stuff like that. :D I've rode in the back of lots of trucks many of times. Its common transportation in rural towns and farm communities. Though I'd be afraid to do it on an interstate. My friends and I did it all the time....and my Dad always let me ride back there when I was a kid, though Mom threw a fit whenever she saw it... of course that was before they made it illegal in the state of Ohio for minors to ride in the back of a pickup truck. But I still do it from time to time (I'm an adult now).

Bear in mind these were never flat bed trucks. Off the road I have rode many wagons and trucks.

Though the dog having no place to hold on I do understand. Like I said, you should never ride a flatbed on the road...and that is basically a flatbed. But if it has sides I don't see much of a problem... as long as you aren't going far or fast or anything.

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be that kid in the back of the pickup on the road, before Arizona made it illegal. My dad would let us ride in the back, but we had a camper shell, blankets for padding, and he never went over thirty-five. I lived in an almost-rural part of Utah during high school, and the students took rabid advantage to poor wording of a local law. It stated that a person could not ride in the back of a pickup without some form of restraint. Add that to the hillbilly ingenuity of the locals on a student's allowance, and you end up with a plastic lawn chair anchored with bolts through the legs to ropes on the four corners of the truck, and another rope to hold the person in the chair. I knew one guy who got a hold of second-hand office chairs with metal legs. He welded them together facing out and tied them down. Add in the rope seatbelt, and there's eight people (four in the cab) off to Subway for lunch!

Honestly, I don't know how half the student body made it to graduation.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Dogs have to be properly harnessed in in the back of trucks in CA, and people can't ride back there anymore unless there's a proper seat with a proper seat belt installed.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, what K.Taylor said.
however, it was very common in Wyoming.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no city folk. I grew up 6 miles out of Rapid City South Dakota in a little town called Black Hawk. Sure I rode in the back of my dad's pick up truck but we had our backs to the cab and it was never on the highway or for more than a half a mile down a dirt road. I can't remember the last time I saw someone keep their dog in the back untethered except out here in Utah. And what amazes me is the number of people who have their dogs in the back. Dogs that put their paws on the side of the bed. Some have jumped from the moving vehicle and have been killed.

What I saw today was a dog that had no place to be safe and while part of the way was stop and go once the traffic cleared that guy took off and was going 65 mph. That's not safe.

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
I gotcha. I thought you were saying it was terrible that people would let kids or animals ride in the bed of a truck at all. I have known people who thought that was just terrible.

Yeah some people are stupid. 65 mph on a major highway...yeah way dangerous. Though also......side note. How would you tether and animal in the back of a truck? Like a leash? That sounds like asking for a hanging?

And when it comes down to it ya gotta remember. Not all people are animal people and have the same level of affection you clearly do for your animals. Its a shame maybe...but thats how it is.