I feel like quitting.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I can't believe this. I feel like just quitting my job right now.

I work VERY part time as the only writer for an online company. The company hit rough times with the economy so in January my boss told me he couldn't pay me as much. Rather than take a cut in my hourly rate, I told him I would work off the clock.

All year I have been officially logging 10 hours per month. Most of the time I work more than that, although over time I've really tried to streamline everything so by this point I've got it down well. I devoted more time to my own writing and I got involved in a bunch of activities to which I am now committed. Then I got pregnant, so it turned out to be a good thing because I really don't want to work more than that. I expressed to my boss that I was happy with the situation.

THREE WEEKS AGO, he dumps a huge project on me. Deadline was November 1. 40 page brochure. He does this to me now and then. He authorizes my extra hours so I am getting paid a lot - but it's horrible doing it at the last minute like this because I am now committed to a bunch of other activities. I've protested in the past to little effect, but I always do the best I can and he's happy with that. This time I didn't even bother complaining, I just did the best I could. (Meanwhile my house is turning into a garbage dump, I'm eating crap, and trying desperately to keep up with other commitments. Baby room ready? Not even close.)

So as usual it comes right down to the wire. We're overdue at the printer's. Where's my boss? On a plane to south america for a vacation. He leaves the last bits to a co-owner, who gets all of my text the night before. She wasn't even supposed to do anything, just make sure it all got together and off to press.

Except she starts going through it. Last night at 11 PM she decides half of my work is totally unacceptable and we can't go to press with it. (Might I mention that my boss is usually 100% satisfied with everything I do - and I do FANTASTIC work. I'm sorry, I'm not bragging, I just know I am very good at what I do.) She's extremely nitpicky and likes to have everything exactly as SHE thinks it should be... even when she hasn't been there for the whole process and all of our discussions.

So guess who's fault all of this is?

Mine.

My fault. Because I wasn't done until the last minute. Because I never sent her the text. (Was I supposed to?) Because she never had a chance to review it.

Nevermind that my boss got every single item AS I FINISHED WRITING IT. Did he complain? No.

But now it's my fault. Not only according to her, but to my boss. I'm so upset I've been crying for like an hour. I can't believe this is happening. I pride myself in my work and I do a great job. I work hard for them. I know the company and the clients inside out and they'd have to train someone for years to even get close to where I am.

Anyway... yeah. I feel like quitting. I haven't done anything yet, although I have written my boss a letter detailing everything. I haven't sent it yet. Figured I'd let myself cool down first.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, pretty lady, can I buy you two drinks?

Seriously, venting is excellent and a couple of drinks helps, if you're not doing anything that precludes it.

Sounds like the co-owner's a horse's patootie who doesn't get the whole process but has declared herself King of the World in your boss' absence.

Don't quit until he comes back, and get it in writing that if she demands you do any rewrites, you're being paid by the hour because you did indeed turn in all your copy and nobody said it was unacceptable. If they're supposed to be coordinating oversight of the creation of this pamphlet, she's getting on board way too late to quit over.

Maryn, voice of reason, once in a while

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Wow Jo, I don't know what to say. You'll be in my thoughts. I hope you get the situation resolved. If you decide to stay make sure you get something in writing that you won't handle a project unless you get X amount of time to do it. Otherwise you won't be held responsible because they forgot to get something done.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hey, pretty lady, can I buy you two drinks?

Seriously, venting is excellent and a couple of drinks helps, if you're not doing anything that precludes it.

Well, I'm sort of incubating a baby. ;) Anyway thanks... Yeah, I definitely have to cool off a bit before I decide anything. I'm scared of having our only income be my husband's, but we are going to have a baby and that's going to take a lot of time so maybe it is just time to let go. I dunno.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, right, easier for me to forget you're pregnant than for you to forget, isn't it? In that case, I recommend some food-based indulgence you would not ordinarily allow yourself.

Maryn, who's thinking good ice cream, perhaps

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell ya'. It sounds like waiting until the boss is back is a good start, and getting things in writing.

Sorry. I was in tears over less than that at my old job and I did quit, but I waited until I had a new one first. And it sounds like your gig is a good one. Like I said, I don't know what to tell you except I'll listen to you rant.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
1) Life is short 2) There are other jobs out there. Unless you're desperately strapped for cash, it's not worth the stress to you and the baby. I vote for quitting (and they'll probably want to hire you back as a contractor for more money anyway). First baby - that's like the best time of your entire life and it'll never happen again. ENJOY IT!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Cooling off is a good idea. Have a large dollop of baby incubator friendly indulgence. I admire your ability to take a cooling off time. I'd be very tempted to ask her exactly how she wants the document changed and could she please put all changes in writing with page references to the document so you can 'get it right'. After she'd done all that (if she does) I'd be so very tempted to say 'now you know what to do you do it - I'm leaving!'

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe this. I feel like just quitting my job right now.
Nevermind that my boss got every single item AS I FINISHED WRITING IT. Did he complain? No.

But now it's my fault. Not only according to her, but to my boss.
Ouch.
I'm so upset I've been crying for like an hour. I can't believe this is happening. I pride myself in my work and I do a great job. I work hard for them. I know the company and the clients inside out and they'd have to train someone for years to even get close to where I am.

Anyway... yeah. I feel like quitting. I haven't done anything yet, although I have written my boss a letter detailing everything. I haven't sent it yet. Figured I'd let myself cool down first.
You know we'd like to see that letter, or at least some pertinent parts, before you send it ;) - much like that letter you wrote to a doctor a few months back regarding your pregnancy.

And I'll buy you two Virgin Marys. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I admire your ability to step back and cool off as well because I'd have told her to shove it up her @$$ and then some. :rant:

Have some chocolate and talk to your boss (the real one) when he returns. Don't let him bully you either - stick to your guns and if they don't back off ---- I'd quit (if you cope w/the salary loss). As others have said, not worth the stress to you and the little one!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Thanks everyone for cheering me up. :Hug2:

So unfortunately if I DIDN'T want to quit, I couldn't just wait for my boss. The co-owner was calling me and desperately begging for a response because the brochure needs to go to print NOW.

So with my husband's help I composed a non-emotional but rather indignant letter STRONGLY objecting to being blamed and detailing the situation.

I then stated that I would not be doing anything like this in the forseeable future without advance notice and appropriate timetable.

I said that I would be willing to do rewrites, but that there was no way I could get them done today (as I'm totally exhausted from working 9AM - 10PM yesterday to get this done). I am booked through the weekend so they will have to wait for Monday if they want changes from me.

But I did offer the caveat that since co-owner knows what she wants, she can make all the changes and I will be willing to proof the text today.

So. See how she likes that.

(Actually I looked in my work inbox and saw she's already been trying to do that... unfortunately she has never been able to understand that SHORTER is HARDER. She doubled my word count on a page and sent it to the designer, who was like, "Uh.... no.")

I feel better.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad she gets to do a lot of it ;) That should mean a lot.

Don't necessarily worry about being blamed, btw. I mean, it's obnoxious and annoying, but if you are doing the job for money and creative outlet, screw their opinions to a certain extent. Do they want to fire you, you think? That's a different question and a different situation.

Don't quit. Tell them you need a raise to stay on. Seriously.

Good luck whatever you choose to do! And I'm sorry they are being idiots!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well that was quick. Got an email from my boss (who is probably in an airport somewhere) saying he didn't "get" that the time restraints were ridiculous but that if I can't get to it until Monday, I can't get to it and he will "adjust" his expectations.

So now we're working on my schedule.

I still have to rewrite the stupid brochure though. Ugh. Oh well at least I get paid. :)

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am glad that worked out well for you. Hang in there and hopefully everything will be back to normal when your regular boss gets back.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
This has all the features of: Female. Marketing. Manager (BIG ECHO)
Not to insult any FMM's who might be on the board but in my job as an editor I have had more than one event with a company FMM who suddenly made it known she was the one in charge, the Holy Being, The Kig Kahuna. Boss says everything's fine but FMM, wanting to exercise that part of her personality that likes to boss people but never gets a chance to, wants it all changed. Now. You subhuman.

OK, well, that was a bit of my own vent; sorry Jo. I know this person isn't an FMM but she sure sounds like one. (and not all FMMs are bad but in my experience, if there's going to be a problem with a story, the problem's coming from the FMM).

I think some heads up from this firm on timetables, etc. would have been the decent and courteous thing to do for contractors like yourself. And I think you did the right thing by sending the letter.

No more stress. Nice quiet music. Soothing scenery. Eat something healthy for you and the baby.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
So, it's the next day. I cooled down.

I still want to quit.

Here's what you have to ask yourself.

1. Do you need that income---if not, quit. It's not worth it.
2. If you do need the income--can you find other work?
3. If you do need the income--can you get past this and work with them reasonably or is this a continuing saga with them.
4. Are they just taking advantage of your good nature--if so quit once you find a replacement income.

5. And this is the most important one---how is this stress affecting you and your baby's health.

You come first sweetheart. YOU COME FIRST.

:Hug2:

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could say something that would make you feel better, but of course I can't. I can empathize though. I've had to work for the bitch from hell before, and boy is it awful. My old "boss" was similar to this woman you're describing.

If this woman is not your new boss for keeps it might be wise to stick it out. The job market is not exactly booming.

Last edited:

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
If the sub-boss is sleeping with the big boss, it won't matter who's right or who's wrong, at least eventually.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's the next day. I cooled down.

I still want to quit.

I'm so sorry, Jo :( Bosses can be idiots.

-- A bit of a PS in general on some of the comments about the co-owner. She's a nitpicky, obnoxious boss, apparently. I don't think that's exclusive to one gender. And we certainly don't know her sexual situation from that!