PDA

View Full Version : The Waiting Game

Bushdoctor
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I have given an agent a 4 week exclusive for my full manuscript. This is week one and no news yet. I cant take it anymore. somebody give me some rope!

TrixieLox
11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Ha ha, but it's only WEEK 1! I've been there though! My agent asked for an exclusive, I gave her 2 weeks (couldn't deal with 1 month) and it is tough. The advice you'll get is focus on another book but so much easier said then done. This is why exclusives suck. If it's a no and another agent asks for an exclusive, I'd only give them 2 weeks if I were you (or nothing at all, easy enough to say another agent has it so you can't give an exclusive).

Lemme warn you though, once you do get an agent, it gets WORSE. You wait for feedback to revisions, then you wait to hear when they're gonna sub it to editors THEN (like me) you wait to hear what the editors say. It never ever ends ;-)

Like you say, it's an endless waiting game!

kellion92
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
That's a pretty long exclusive. I think Trixie's advice is good -- two weeks at most. It could be good that the agent asked for an exclusive -- s/he thinks it's so promising that another agent might snap it up, I guess. But it's not fair to you. If agents feel as if they are competing over writers, they should just act quicker, right?

RG570
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Too bad you're finding hard, but man, that's NOTHING.

I started the ball rolling with a certain publisher last December and I'm still waiting, after passing various stages.

Red-Green
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Week 5 will be the hardest. :D Seriously, though, as soon as you hit week 4, you'll need to nudge, because agent time works a little differently from writer time. Good luck!

the addster
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I like to think about agent time as being something like geological time. Just as mountain ranges and great inland seas can appear in a heartbeat, so can agent responses.

Jamesaritchie
11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
An exclusive takes as long as it takes, and telling an agent two weeks won't make her get to it any faster. If she's worth having, she's worth waiting for. Good grief, four weeks is the blink of an eye.

Besides, you aren't supposed to be waiting, you're supposed to be hard at work writing your next novel.

Bushdoctor
11-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice guy. Its just that I've become a nervous reck. I am like checking my email every 5 minutes. It's awful, I've been here before.

I feel like waiting for a rejection is like waiting for a punch in the face with your eyes closed. This is torture!

skippingstone
11-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Agent responses only come when you're not checking for them. Or thinking about them. So grab a rock and conk yourself on the head if you have to. I hear time passes quickly when you're in a coma.

TrixieLox
11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
An exclusive takes as long as it takes, and telling an agent two weeks won't make her get to it any faster. If she's worth having, she's worth waiting for. Good grief, four weeks is the blink of an eye.

Besides, you aren't supposed to be waiting, you're supposed to be hard at work writing your next novel.

I disagree (with a smile on my face :-) If you grant an exclusive, an agent ought to stick to it. My agent went over the 2 week mark, I nudged her a few days after, she sped the reading up and I got The Call the next day. So I'd say that once a few days pass after the exclusive, you definitely nudge. Otherwise, you could be waiting weeks and weeks then get a no, and have wasted all those weeks not querying!

Jamesaritchie
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I disagree (with a smile on my face :-) If you grant an exclusive, an agent ought to stick to it. My agent went over the 2 week mark, I nudged her a few days after, she sped the reading up and I got The Call the next day. So I'd say that once a few days pass after the exclusive, you definitely nudge. Otherwise, you could be waiting weeks and weeks then get a no, and have wasted all those weeks not querying!

I guess I misunderstood. Yes, if you and the agent agree to a two week exclusive, the agent should stick to it. Unless, of course, she has a good excuse. Bad things happen to agents, just like the rest of us, be it the flu, an accident, or an unexpected vist from Uncle Marly and Aunt Pearle, who are determined to stay for three weeks, and who insist you must spend time with them every day.

cate townsend
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Status query at the 4th week, then send out more queries, even if you don't hear anything back. There are certain drawbacks to exclusives, but then, at least there's some sort of "deadline" for the you and the agent to work with. Two agents (going on three) had my full for over a year before responding.

Writing your next project in the meantime really helps. Good luck to you. Fingers crossed!

Bushdoctor
11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
I havent killed myself yet

Bushdoctor
11-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Sods Law I've got another request for a full. what do I do?

kellion92
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Tell the agent you have granted an exclusive until X date, then send it on X date. If s/he is interested now, s/he will be interested then. Plus you have a great nudge for agent #1 shortly before the exclusive expires...

bclement412
11-09-2009, 06:13 AM
I am like checking my email every 5 minutes. It's awful, I've been here before.

Haha I have been doing the exact same thing. I love weekends but the only downside is that I have nothing to distract myself from constantly refreshing my email.

Nateskate
11-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Waiting is always hard. I hope you hear some good news soon.

Bushdoctor
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
and now there is a small publisher asking for a full which I cant give. when will this end?

cate townsend
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
and now there is a small publisher asking for a full which I cant give. when will this end?

Goodness, open a bottle of something and party, Bushdoctor! Obviously you have something that's making people sit up and consider, so celebrate! I'd tell the other folks who requested that the MS is currently tied up in an exclusive, but that you'll be more than happy to submit to them when the four weeks is up.

kellion92
11-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Ha ha! Cate is right. These are problems many people would BEG for.

Bushdoctor
11-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Goodness, open a bottle of something and party, Bushdoctor! Obviously you have something that's making people sit up and consider, so celebrate! I'd tell the other folks who requested that the MS is currently tied up in an exclusive, but that you'll be more than happy to submit to them when the four weeks is up.

I am celebrating. This is the first time this has happened to me. I am so used to getting rejections only.

Bushdoctor
11-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Ha ha! Cate is right. These are problems many people would BEG for.

thanks. i just hope it one of them works out,

Bushdoctor
11-21-2009, 12:02 AM
I finally got the big R. Am gutted, she was my top agent.
ah well 2 more to wait for. at least i can move on

kellion92
11-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry about that, Bushdoctor. Nice to have other irons in the fire...

skippingstone
11-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Dude. That bites. For what it's worth, we all thought you were too good for her anyway.

Bushdoctor
11-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the support. you guys are world class. I have recieved an offer from a micropress, but i will hold out and hope something better pops up.

kellion92
11-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Great news even if you don't take the offer. Do you have a while to consider, or are you saying no?

Bushdoctor
11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Great news even if you don't take the offer. Do you have a while to consider, or are you saying no?

I am going to ask for more time. I can just run wih the first pub who says yes

kellion92
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey, doesn't this give you an opportunity to recontact agents who are considering you to tell them that you have an offer on the table? Whatever happens, congratulations.

Bushdoctor
11-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Hey, doesn't this give you an opportunity to recontact agents who are considering you to tell them that you have an offer on the table? Whatever happens, congratulations.

thanks for that. all this takes so long. i am tired of this whole process