PDA

View Full Version : Writing to your teen self

seun
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I had a book arrive at work this morning which featured famous people writing to their sixteen year old selves. This got me thinking what I would say to myself at that age although I was such a wanker at 16, I'd probably write to me at 17.

What advice would you give yourself at 16 or 17?

scarletpeaches
11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Stay the fuck away from [censored] and you'll be able to stay at university.

Mr Flibble
11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
When people tell you you need to see a shrink - believe them.

Oh, yeah, and stay away from those guys - yeah, them. They will screw your head sooooo bad.....

And start writing damn you! Now!

scarletpeaches
11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Dear 16-year-old SP,

1. Don't wait to work on your writing. Stop putting it off.
2. Listen to IdiotsRUs more when you meet her. Yeah, in about 16 years.

Yours,

Me.

Priene
11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Go travelling before you study, stay away from the speakers at rock concerts, swearing isn't clever, stop eating potatoes, don't watch any General Election before 1997 and Ben Elton is going to disappoint the universe in many more ways than you could possibly imagine.

Mr Flibble
11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Dear IRU,

And don't forget to kidnap Colin Farrell before he gets famous, and keep him in the cellar. You will earn a mint when you meet SP and sell him.

seun
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Dear Me

First off, stop chasing after girls who aren't interested or tell you they want to be friends. They really do just want to be friends. I can prove that by saying most of them are still around now.
Second, you know the writing you've started to take seriously? Keep at it. Even the poems that are rip offs of Meat Loaf tracks.
Third, if you get any spare cash, keep it. Nobody's got any these days.
Fourth, don't believe anything Tony Blair says.
Fifth, enjoy your hair.

That's all for now. Your half hour lunch is over so it's back to work.

Love
Me

Wayne K
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Dear 17 year old Wayne,

All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.All work and no play makes Wayne a dull boy.

P.S. Srsly

seun
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
PS. Stay away from gingers. They'll fuck you up.

Wayne K
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
All work and no play.

cray
11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
dear cray,

next summer when you go to that party,.....don't eat that last deviled egg.

you're welcome,

future cray

darkprincealain
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Dear 16-year-old dark,

Ask to take your driving test in Savannah. Listen to your father's advice, but not his politics. Work harder in school.

And no, as much as it may seem so, you are not the only one.

Yours,
future you

P.S. If I can alter the timestream a little, I'd prefer if you didn't listen to <censored> 'kay? Most srsly.

kayleamay
11-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Dear 16 year old Mary Sunshine,

Don't change a damn thing. Your life is going to suck sometimes, but you'll come out the other side just fine. Everyone's life sucks sometimes. That's just how it goes.

Oh, and you know that thing you royally hosed up and it seemed like the end of the world and you thought no one would ever forgive you? Well, it isn't and they will.

P.S. Always drink a big glass of water before you go to bed.

Me

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Anything I would have written to myself at age 16, would have roundly been ignored.

But mostly I'd say, stay away from them! Stay with her instead.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it. 16 would have been too late. I should have had a good talking to at 12.

ETAETA:

Oh, and give up that writing dream. It's just going to turn out to be a waste of time.

Xelebes
11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Dear 17 year old self,

Don't worry, you only have Tourette's. It's not another word for anxiety.

Sincerely,
24 year old self.

JoNightshade
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Dear 16-year-old Jo:

Two things to remember from now on. One, when you think you've got a fantastic idea that involves a group of people and that everyone will think you are brilliant, go find yourself a wall and bang your head against it until you forget what you were doing. Two, relax. Seriously. You may think everyone is watching you as closely as you observe them, but the truth is they don't give a crap.

Me

PS - So as it turns out, you really do end up being attractive. Please be aware that guys will do sneaky things to get you alone with them. Watch out.

Kaiser-Kun
11-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Dear Young Kaiser:

Write down all those ideas for a novel, no matter how silly they appear. You'll need 'em later.

P.S. No U.

bettielee
11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Dear me.
All those people that point out a certain thing about you are wrong. Trust me.

Don't listen to anyone who's name rhymes with "pester".

And you should start writing. Now.

future bettielee

Jcomp
11-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Practice a lot harder at basketball. A LOT harder. Lift weights, eat right, that whole jazz, and have some damn confidence in yourself. Also, here's a list of girls who are going to find you years later on facebook and say "I always had a crush on you in high school but never said anything." What's a "facebook" you say? Why are you asking that, do you not see the list in front of you? Focus!