What? I love my job?

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So the class I taught at the English school today was "gender roles". I was trying to subversively get the kids to open their minds about traditional gender roles. They're by no means totally fixed in China, but the general sentiment is that women should not be involved in maths or sciences.

I was trying to coax them away from this perspective by naming people I knew of who had broken gender roles. Hilary Clinton, Barbara Walters, Rosie the Riveter, etc. Then I had them name occupations that are kind of gender biased and I argued against each of them "Men can be nurses" "Women can be taxi cab drivers," but then this one kid shouts out

"Lead monk in a Budhist monastery!"

LOL

Do you guys have any I love my job / general funny stories of wonderment to share?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My niece is a civil engineer. In college, she had quite a few classes in which she was the only girl. (What a great place to meet smart guys, huh?) After a year in the Peace Corps managing a civil engineering project, she also had her pick of jobs, and found a good one in the city she wanted to live in.

When my mother-in-law died, my husband simply could not deal with going through her things and cleaning all she'd neglected and hidden. (Boy, did I have fun. Not.) Near the end, as we readied the place for sale, I hired a local maid service whose logo has cartoon maids in little black dresses, white caps, and aprons. They sent three maids. Two were guys. (All had prison tats, but that's immaterial.) None of them wore the saucy little maid outfit.

Maryn, who would have been amused if she hadn't been pissed at the lousy job they did

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a clinic that's very active in training future doctors as well as patient education. Our speciality is adolescents, which includes all the issues of puberty growth and change. Needless to say, we have various little models of various parts of the body (internal and external) as teaching aids.

So I go back into the clinic one day to make copies (I'm clerical, not clinical) and in comes one of the trainees carrying the complete male genitalia model in her hand (rather like a club). She nonchalantly opens a desk drawer, drops it in and slams it shut. Every male in the room winced.

Another day, the nurses were going through the patient education files, sorting out what pamphlets needed to be updated, tossed, recopied, etc. As I go back there, one of the older (female) nurses announces: "'Is my penis normal?' I just don't know what to do about it. I mean, it's not like there's anything else we can replace it with."

There are times I adore my job. :D

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I added the "Golden Apple" on my blog for this very purpose! lol

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The best I-love-my-job moment was a couple years ago when I was assisting in an angioplasty, and the guy's leg was too clogged to get a wire down. I knew about this special catheter from a seminar I happened to attend a few months prior. I had never actually seen it used or even seen it in person, but I had a good idea of how it worked, and I figured I could wing it. So I walked the surgeon through it as he went, and it worked beautifully. The guy left with a good pulse in his foot.

Nevermind that he probably doesn't have a foot now. It was cool at the time.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I get phone calls from plumbers who say "I need the little thing that goes under the cap so when the pressure is reduced it pushes down on the other thing that makes the flow stop. Do you know what that is?"

Me: do you have the model number?

Them: No

Me: then I don't know what that thing is. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go straight to engineering hell and ASK THEM FOR THE DAMN MODEL NUMBER!

I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job I love my job

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a clinic that's very active in training future doctors as well as patient education. Our speciality is adolescents, which includes all the issues of puberty growth and change. Needless to say, we have various little models of various parts of the body (internal and external) as teaching aids.

So I go back into the clinic one day to make copies (I'm clerical, not clinical) and in comes one of the trainees carrying the complete male genitalia model in her hand (rather like a club). She nonchalantly opens a desk drawer, drops it in and slams it shut. Every male in the room winced.

Another day, the nurses were going through the patient education files, sorting out what pamphlets needed to be updated, tossed, recopied, etc. As I go back there, one of the older (female) nurses announces: "'Is my penis normal?' I just don't know what to do about it. I mean, it's not like there's anything else we can replace it with."

There are times I adore my job. :D

Looool

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I love my job right now, because I am in-between engineering contracts and am able to work from home...whooop! However, it's back to the grind in Dec. though.

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
"Lead monk in a Budhist monastery!"

LOL

Do you guys have any I love my job / general funny stories of wonderment to share?

:roll: I like that.

I have found....though I am young and havn't had that many jobs... That I hated my jobs when I had them. But then when looking back at them there were actually good times mixed in.

Like the Candle Factory I worked in. It sucked...but now some of the terrible things I had to do make great horror stories! Also, I always came home smelling like whatever candles I made that day. It was always funny when someone who didn't know what I did would be like... you smell like blueberries. :Shrug:

Also, in High School I worked for 3 years at this small department store. Hours were crappy and the pay sucked... But I actually had a lot of fun. Everyone in the store was my friend and we did some crazy things while working there.
Like the day the assistant manager and I had to move all the toilet paper. We had an incredible amount of it stored away...and all up on the wall in the warehouse. So we knocked it all on to the ground in to a huge pile. Then took turns climbing up the wall, hanging from the rafters, and falling in to it.
Or when 7 up was having a promotional giveaway and gave us a toy to be raffled off to one of our customers. It was a go-kart. Neeedless to say, every day after we closed the store we rode that sucker all over the aisles.

Now I work at a gas station... quite an upgrade, but I'm in college so I can't have a serious job. It sucks most the time. But Halloween was amazing....if you've seen how college girls dress up for halloween you know why I enjoyed getting to meet them all. ;)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My favorite job ever was the summer I worked in a used/rare book store. Everyone who worked there was extremely literate and we had the best discussions about all sorts of subjects. You know how in everyday conversation you tend to use casual, shorter words just so everyone can understand you? We did away with that. I think we were speaking at a college reading level. :)

One of the best days was when the boss was out and my manager asked me if I wanted to hold the signed Steinbeck in the case. Hee hee.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I adore my students. I know there have been loads of stories like this, but I can only think of two off the top of my head.

One was one of those just absolutely surreal moments. I had a new classof first year students, and they didn't realize that I speak Japanese. Well, I put them in groups, and one group of boys kept talking and wouldn't shut up. I decided to use the usually fool-proof tactic of standing beside the desk and smiling politely at them. Generally they get the picture and start doing what they're supposed to.

This group, however, just ignores me entirely and keep going on with the conversation. So I start paying attention. After a couple of minutes, it clicks to me that they're discussing masturbation. Well, the look on my face of utter shock that they would be talking about something like that in class was completely made up for when the boys SEE said shocked face and realize that I have just understood everything they said. Yeah, embarrassing my students probably shouldn't be nearly so much fun. :evil In any case, that still cracks me up, and you can bet they were much more careful and paid attention in class after that.

The second is one of those things that probably sounds goofy, but it was still awesome. I was in class one day, and I was telling the class that my brother, Jonathan, was going to be coming for a visit. In Japan, there is a big chain of restaurants called Jonathan's, so my students always find this funny (and never forget his name). One of my girls raised her hand and asked (in English!) "Do you have a sister named Denny's?" That was pretty great.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Well, back when I still worked in a call center, I got gems like these:

Caller: Y'all are located in North Carolina, right?
Me: No, Virginia Beach.
Caller: Oh! Florida, then.

Caller: I need a price on a 6 foot cable.
Me: (after searching for a second) A 72 inch cable is $X.
Caller: *huff* Well that's very nice, ma'am, but I asked for 6 foot, not 72 inch.

Caller: How long will it take to ship this via UPS Ground?
Me: 5 days.
Caller: And what if I send it UPS 2 Day?

My favorite happened when I worked in the medical monitoring equipment field, and one of our field reps was summoned to a hospital in the middle of the night to fix something. After driving 2 or 3 hours, arriving at some ungodly hour, he was informed that one of the monitors (in a patient's room) wasn't working. You see, the monitors recorded patients' vital signs and fed them into a central computer conveniently located the nurses' station so they could remotely monitor everyone. Well, this one wouldn't transmit the patient's vitals, damn the thing.

Our rep walked into the room with his tool box, stopped, and walked right back out.

"Can you fix it?" the nurse asked eagerly.
"What's wrong in that room, I cannot fix," he said.
"But, but why not?" the nurse asked.

Our rep rolled his eyes...

Let out a breath...

And said...

"Lady, the patient's DEAD!"

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a machine shop with men, where I drill and otherwise process heavy steel parts. I wear dust scarves and steel toe boots to work. Come home covered in black steel dust. I love it!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I work for the Feds, and one day I got a call from an old-sounding lady who said that "they" were poisening us. We were all toxic. She had to tell the president.

She called several times every day for a couple weeks. I had to report it to my boss who ultimately decided the lady was insane, but no threat to us.

But mostly I hate my job...right now at least.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
In my current job, I don't talk to people much. I sit in a cube at my computer and write. Boring.

In a previous job as a salesperson at a lingerie store, I got phone calls like this:

Caller: I was wondering what styles of panties you carry.
Me: Well, we have bikini, thong, hipster, lots of different styles.
Caller: What style is the most popular?
Me: That really depends on the woman.
Caller: What style are you wearing right now?
"Click"

Another time a nice-looking dude in a brown leather bomber jacket came in and hovered around the panty table looking lost. Let's listen in:

Me: Can I help you with anything?
Man: I'm looking for a pair of pink panties to go with this bra.
Me (pulling out several lacy pink pairs of panties): How about any of these?
Man: I'll be honest with you. They're for me. My boyfriend bought me this bra and I wanted to surprise him by buying a pair of panties to go with them.
Me: I'll see if I have anything else in the back that might fit better.

In the end, I sold him a pair of women's underwear and gave him a catalogue. A sale's a sale.

I didn't love the job, but at least it could be interesting.