PDA

View Full Version : Is this where the pep talk is?

copperbeech
11-05-2009, 02:30 AM
:)

No rant. Just need a place to sit for a minute and remember why I do this.

And I'm still sitting. Remembering.

Hope you are all well.

OL
11-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Try Purgatory -- there's usually a lively chat going on there!

TrixieLox
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
What stage you at? Got an agent? Or trying to get one?

Patrick L
11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Wherever you are in the process, keep plugging. I know there are much tougher examples, but I wrote a 110k book, slogged through the process of trying to get an agent, then wound up shelving it.

Wrote another book. Got a ton of requests, several quick offers, and now have an agent and am on submission.

But guess what?

After reading the book he offered on, he read the first one. Guess what he said?

Yep.

"This one is amazing! Better than the one I offered on." :)

Don't quit.

Don't quit.

copperbeech
11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you for all of your responses and kind words. I am still courting an agent. I've had requests for partials but can't seem to get past that point. All who requested a partial gave reasons for rejection along the lines of it just not grabbing them/wasn't quite what they were looking for. Admittedly, it's strange content. Their commentary hasn't been scathing by a longshot, and I'm glad of that. I acknowledge the success of that alone. But there it sits. This particular content is time sensitive (2012), despite it being fiction, so I really do have to contract it in a certain timeframe or it will require a massive plot change and rewrite, or just the self-knowledge that I finished it and move on.
I really had good momentum about it until the last agent I queried responded that she knew of no cultural reference to the 2012 astrological significance outside the Mayan culture and then gave me a lecture on how even fantasy needs to be rooted in the chosen culture (Eastern Band Cherokee). Really? You don't say? Because that is a part of my culture, and yes, there is a Cherokee calendar that has its own interpretation of 2012. I'm blown away that her ignorance is my literary blunder. Sarcasm aside, she didn't know what she was talking about, and what bothers me about that is 1) she is who I really wanted to work with and 2) I thought that if anyone was going to get it, that'd be she.

So, I really don't know what to do now, and I don't know what I can do to improve the process. I have published one book, which I did without an agent. I don't want to do that again.

Thanks again for your thoughts and for listening.
Hope all is well.

arkady
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Wherever you are in the process, keep plugging. I know there are much tougher examples, but I wrote a 110k book, slogged through the process of trying to get an agent, then wound up shelving it.

Wrote another book. Got a ton of requests, several quick offers, and now have an agent and am on submission.

But guess what?

After reading the book he offered on, he read the first one. Guess what he said?

Yep.

Why am I not surprised?

Bushdoctor
11-05-2009, 07:44 PM

But guess what?

Yep.

Don't quit.

Don't quit.

Thats awesome. cheered me up

Patrick L
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
It's true, and please don't take it as bragging. It went out a month ago to pubs and thus far has two rejections. It hasn't sold yet.

But my main point is that my agent said he gets 600 POSTAL queries each week. He said one Friday afternoon his assistant brought him mine and said he ought to take a look at it, and even though I wasn't supposed to add sample pages per his AAR instructions, I did anyway. And they hooked him. How lucky was I?

All of that because I did not quit (and broke rules by sending sample pages.)

Good luck! :)

arkady
11-09-2009, 02:27 AM
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

--Calvin Coolidge.

Charlee
11-11-2009, 07:55 PM
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

--Calvin Coolidge.

I have seen this before but just reading it again now when I'm feeling exhusted has cheered me up. I've printed it out and stuck it to my desk :)

happywritermom
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
It sounds like it's just a matter of clicking with the right agent. They don't dislike it; they just don't love it. Keep pounding away, as hard as it is, and you'll find the right match. Given your time-frame issue, you might want to consider querying several agents at a time. And look for new agents who might not have so much on their plates or agencies who have just taken on new agents. Do you susbscribe to Publisher's Weekly? It's $20 a month, but, in your case, it might be worth trying it for a few months to better narrow your agent search.