What is your favorite gift for Christmas?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
To give or to receive? Usually money goes out, and socks come in. You can never have enough socks. That's what I keep telling myself.

-Derek

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Books, DVDs, clothing which costs more than I'm willing to spend on myself, electronics...

Essentially, I like anything that shows the person put some time and thought into the gift, picking something which meshed with my tastes, sense of humor, etc.

Maryn, who thinks she's easy to buy for

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
This.

I can never wait for the whole nonsense to be over.

Christmas in my house isn't a whole month or two month long ordeal like most of the people from around these parts. It lasts three days. I start my Christmas shopping at 2 am on December 23. I finish by 3. I go home, wrap the gifts and set up my tree. Then I ignore my phone and sleep until I feel like getting up. I watch the Grinch (cartoon and movie) and brine the turkey or goose I bought the night before. A couple of bottles of wine, the annual viewing of A Christmas Story and occasionally a trip to Midnight Mass just to keep my priest from calling me until Easter. Then we go home, open presents and sleep until noon on Christmas Day. We eat, watch football, chuck the tree out the backdoor and get ready for the REAL winter holiday, which is, of course, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day annual football orgies.

What? I'm sentimental, damnit.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It's been going on for generations....the 'mother' always gets chocolate covered cherries. My grand daughter and I have a little 'pet' gift that she always gets me....the toed socks--in fun colors. (It's like a private joke between us.) If I didn't get these...I would feel my Christmas would not be complete.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
This thread discriminates against non-Xtians. I'm suing dammit.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
My favorite Christmas gift ever? Easy as pie.

Does anyone remember those silly Magic Nursery baby dolls that were big back in the late eighties, early nineties? I wanted one just oh-so-bad when I was 5. Had to have one. Didn't think I was getting one cause we were dirt poor.

Well, the coolest thing about them was that you didn't know if the baby doll was a boy or a girl until you soaked the baby pack in water and got the birth certificate out (it and the whole "It's a girl!" badges and stuff were all in a plastic baggie inside the baby pack.)

On Christmas, I started opening gifts and the last one was a Magic Nursery baby. I actually cried I was so happy. I just had to know if my baby was a boy or a girl, so I ran and soaked the baby pack and got the birth certificate out. Inside it, on the "It's a girl!" declaration thing, it also had a form to fill out. My baby was a twin! My moms filled it out and mailed it off and a month later, I had my other baby girl. I named them Elizabeth and Kelli. I think it's actually the only time I've gotten the one thing I wanted most for Christmas.

As an adult, though--I think my best gift is seeing my kids get the things they wanted. I usually didn't as a kid and seeing them open the very things they asked for just makes me happy. :) They don't always get everything they ask for, but they get most of what they want. Their expressions are just magical.

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
A fake velor pants and jacket set with a big "Salem Cigarettes" emblem on the back.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm not celebrating Christmas this year. No gifts. I will be relaxing on a beach on the Indian Ocean on the 25th...off the coast of Kenya...on the island of Lamu.

Santa don't do Lamu.

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Toys! Chocolates! :D

Seriously though, the atmosphere and "feel" of Christmas never lives up to expectations.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
To give or to receive? Usually money goes out, and socks come in. You can never have enough socks. That's what I keep telling myself.

-Derek
I could make the same argument for money :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I want the Island of Lamu for Christmas.

lamu_info3.jpg

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being snowed-in so we don't have to drive 22 hours and then listen to everyone complain that we never come to visit.