If an agent sends a nice, personal email...

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
...about your book, but still does not want to represent you, do you reply? In this case, I've already found an agent but someone else, who requested partials along with queries, read my pages and wrote me a nice note. She told me what she liked and what she didn't like, and said if I ever did a major revision she'd like to see it. Obviously, if I hadn't found an agent already I'd feel differently about this email.

Would replying just clog up her mail box? What would I even say? Thanks for your advice? Do I say that I have an agent now, or is that just weird?

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not weird. Agents are people, too (or so I've heard ;)). If her nice note made you feel good about yourself or your work it is never wrong to say "Thank you!" You could tell her you appreciate her kind words and mention that you have signed with someone else. You'll be doing two things: helping keep the door open in the event that things go terribly wrong with your new agent, AND you will have made a nice, new acquaintance.

(It's so much easier to give this advice when it's someone else and not me! I'd probably have been asking the same thing....)

BTW, BrooklynLee, CONGRATS on getting an AGENT! :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
If you were considering changing the MS as per her suggestions, I might perhaps say to send her an email thanking her, telling her you've taken her ideas and thoughts and will change the MS and would love to resubmit when you have done the major revision. And, even then the email wouldn't be necessary. You could just resubmit when you've done the changes, mentioning she wanted you to do that when you fixed the problems.

Since you've already found an agent, not sure what you would say in the email, other than 'tough luck, you've had your chance, I've found an agent that can actually appreciate good writing. Hey, look! Choc chip cookies!' :D

Yeah, it's been one of those days ;)

Although you could send a thank you for the nice thoughts and idea and you've found an agent, but still consider the advice you've got priceless and are considering the changes she suggested.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I think it'd be a nice thing to write a note back, thanking her for taking the time to offer personal feedback.

At least that's what I did when I got a lengthy, personal rejection. To me, it's kind of like thanking the interviewer.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely reply to her thanking her for her time and good wishes.
Who knows, things may not work out with your current agent and then you'll be glad you parted on good terms with someone who liked your writing.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
So I did write her a thank you note and she wrote back almost immediately -- wanting to know who I signed with. For some reason I find that amusing, but I did reply.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
So I did write her a thank you note and she wrote back almost immediately -- wanting to know who I signed with. For some reason I find that amusing, but I did reply.

Not really amusing at all. Most reputable agents out there just want to make sure you've signed with someone equally-reputable and not a scammer or clueless agent with no publishing expertise. My agent asked me who my first offer came from before she also offered, just to make sure I had an offer from a legit agent. I've heard of others asking the same thing even if they didn't intend to sign the author just because most agents like to protect authors, even ones they don't represent.

And congrats!!!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
You certainly don't have to, but I think you should. It might serve you well in that great, unknown future.