PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Shade: Angeni - Beta Reader Wanted

Freelancer
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM
We're looking for trustworthy and experienced beta readers (One lady and one male) for the first chapters of our Epic High Fantasy novel, Crystal Shade: AngeniŠ. Whoever volunteers, must sign a confidentiality agreement (So it is good if you have a printer and a scanner. :) ).

In the first round, we'd like to test the first four chapters, app. 28500 words, 53 pages.

You may find few information, few words about the novel itself at it's official website:
www.crystalshadeangeni.com

Experienced and known AW users are in advantage. If you're interested in, please write a message to me, here at AW.

PortableHal
11-07-2009, 03:38 AM
István, you have a lovely website. A lot of pretty pictures and a lot of flash but a nice site.

As I understand it, you want an experienced beta reader to do you the favor of reading and commenting on your novel -- and to print out and scan a confidentiality agreement because...why?

If you don't trust your beta reader, you might want to pay an editor to look over your Epic High Fantasy novel.

Matera the Mad
11-07-2009, 06:42 AM
I would say it might be a nice movie trailer, but a website.... No thanks. I'd have to be paid to read anything that pretentious.

Freelancer
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd have to be paid to read anything that pretentious.I'm not pretentious. It's business and as we know what CSA is, we're intending to protect it until it's not been published. In this case this beta is not for you. It's that simple.

I would say it might be a nice movie trailer, but a website
The trailer is not ready at the moment.

István, you have a lovely website. A lot of pretty pictures and a lot of flash but a nice site.
Thanks Hal. :)

and to print out and scan a confidentiality agreement because...why?
To have a chance to sign it and send it back. Standard procedure. All our betas, be it the present betas of CSA or the betas of our other projects are working with confidentiality agreement.

If you don't trust your beta reader, you might want to pay an editor to look over your Epic High Fantasy novel.Confidentiality agreement is used to be a standard procedure, especially in greater projects, such as Crystal Shade: Angeni. As it goes into the hand of the beta, from that moment it's the beta's responsibility and the beta is acknowledging his / her responsibility with this document. Maybe I'm wrong but I presume you didn't work with greater projects or franchises before. Sometimes, in some cases this confidentiality agreement is a must, regardless from the mutual trust. In CSA's case it's a mandatory element. Being a beta reader is not just about mutual trust, it's also about taking responsibility for the material what you, the beta reader receives.

Parametric
11-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Confidentiality agreement is used to be a standard procedure, especially in greater projects. As it goes into the hand of the beta, from that moment it's the beta's responsibility and the beta is acknowledging his or her responsibility with this document. Maybe I'm wrong but I presume you didn't work with greater projects or franchises before. Sometimes, in some cases this confidentiality agreement is a must, regardless from the mutual trust. In CSA's case it's a mandatory element.

Confidentiality agreements are not standard procedure for unpublished novels. You're asking your hypothetical beta reader to jump through unnecessary hoops, which seems ungracious when you want them to do you a huge favour.

You can call your novel a "greater project" and a "franchise", but from an outsider's perspective, it's no different to the millions of other unpublished novels out there - 99% of which range in quality from poor to terrible. Your novel might well be one of the 1% which is good, but as there's no excerpt available and your written English on these forums is sometimes stilted and difficult to read, a reader has no way of knowing that.

When I look to beta read a novel for someone, I am most interested in whether (a) the writing is good and (b) the person is easy to work with. If you can't or won't show (a) good writing, perhaps out of an (unfounded, I assure you) fear of thieves, you absolutely need to show that you're (b) easy to work with. :)

Freelancer
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Confidentiality agreements are not standard procedure for unpublished novels.Actually it's a standard procedure for many writers and also for many companies in the literature / book, in the screenplay / movie and even in the gaming industry (I've worked in all three.). I also know many freelancer who is using it. I also worked under confidentiality agreement as a beta reader many times (I used to do beta reads too) and I also used these agreements many times, when I needed a beta reader.

You can call your novel a "greater project" and a "franchise", but from an outsider's perspective, it's no different to the millions of other unpublished novels out thereActually as CSA is the novel, part of the Crystal Shade universe which is quite more then a single novel. That's the reason I called it as part of a franchise and a greater project. Angeni is just one part of this universe and not just a novel is existing about it. But the other parts are on hold at the moment as this novel must be published first.

but as there's no excerpt available and your written English on these forums is sometimes stilted and difficult to read, a reader has no way of knowing that.The work is edited by my co-writer. Her native language is English as she is Canadian. Also it's a forum. I'm not going to reedit all my post. I hope you don't mind. ;)

When I look to beta read a novel for someone, I am most interested in whether (a) the writing is good and (b) the person is easy to work with. If you can't or won't show (a) good writing, perhaps out of an (unfounded, I assure you) fear of thieves, you absolutely need to show that you're (b) easy to work with. :)As I said above it's not about the mutual trust, it's about responsibility. One paper, one agreement is not making any difference at all if you can take responsibility for the material what you would receive.

Freelancer
11-10-2009, 09:56 PM
One beta reader seat is taken. But one place is still open for a male beta reader.