Favorite Hero / Villain Match-ups

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I started thinking about how great Die Hard was this morning, and it occurred to me that it's a great example of a movie that created an iconic hero and villain in one fell swoop. Then I got to thinking more about how John McClane and Hans Gruber are an excellent match for one another

McClane was a brilliant combo of Schwarzenegger action hero swagger + Indiana Jones "I have to improvise because I'm in way over my head and don't really know what I'm doing." Gruber was like a classic Bond villain stripped of ridiculous aspirations to rule the world and instead applying his intellect to something slightly more practical.

McClane improvises while Gruber is the master planner, but at different critical points in movie Gruber is forced to improvise and McClane is forced to come up with a master plan to save the day. It all comes together so well between the two.

Anywho, what are your favorite hero / villain match-ups?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't know if this counts, but Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling.

The Terminator and Kyle Reese.

James Bond and Gold Finger.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The Terminator and Kyle Reese.

I'll second this one. I think the beautiful part of this match up is that in order to fight the machines, Reese had to become a machine in a sense (i.e. disconnecting from pain, fighting his feelings for Sarah away,etc.). That irony was what made that movie so good.

And you can't have this thread without the all-time classic:

Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Eric Draven and Top Dollar from The Crow.

Tennant's Doctor and Simm's Master from series four of Doctor Who - right up until the Doctor's Tinkerbell moment *sigh*

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Oh, there are too many to count. Ummm...let's see...

Valmont vs. Marquie de Mertuiel in Dangerous Liasions mostly because throughout the entire movie, you're not really sure which one to root for and Valmont comes through so fabulously in the end.

Hamlet v Claudius in Hamlet. What could be better?

Oh gosh--Charles Xavier v. Magneto in the X-men. Seriously, though, when a hero and a villian get together to play chess just for the fun of it, that's a pretty outstanding conflict/relationship.

oh. yeah. *grin* The Phantom v. Raoul in Phantom of the Opera. It's not often you can get millions of people rooting for the bad guy in a classic tale of good v. evil. With the Phantom, evil is just so much more fun.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great selections.

Also, I am obligated to punch myself in the face for not mentioning Batman vs. The Joker. From Tim Burton's Batman or (especially, imo) The Dark Knight. They are like twisted soul mates of conflict...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Oh, I like that one too. Seriously. I always thought that was the reason that Batman and the Joker were always in conflict. They're like the same sides of the same dark coin.
I loved Michael Keaton's take on Batman and Nicholson's take on the Joker and quite frankly thought it would impossible to top.

I was wrong. Bale and Ledger took it to a whole new level.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Me and Myself.

No, really, I think Harry vs Voldemort is a pretty cool matchup.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
The Bride and Bill from Kill Bill.

Ahab and Moby Dick from the John Huston/Ray Bradbury Moby Dick.

Roy Batty and Deckard from Blade Runner.

Gandalf and Saruman from LOTR.

Flint and Steerpike in Gormenghast.

Mal and The Agent in Serenity.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
How the heck did I forget Inigo Montoya and Count Rugen from The Princess Pride?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Great selections.

Also, I am obligated to punch myself in the face for not mentioning Batman vs. The Joker. From Tim Burton's Batman or (especially, imo) The Dark Knight. They are like twisted soul mates of conflict...

Yeah, I was about to punch you in the face for that one. ;)

I think it's the characters. They're great together in everything. They feed off each other, and give each other a reason to be, even though they hate each other and want to destroy each other. I think that Bale was a bit off the DK, and Nicholson, while brilliant, was pretty far off the character itself, but their dynamic was still great in both films. And the animated series.

I just read Kevin Smith's Cacophony. Batman has a conversation with the Joker while he's on anti-psychotics, and asks him what he really thinks of him. It's SO sad!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Captain Jack and Captain John on Torchwood rock the love/hate thing so so well.

Mikey and Ma Fratelli from the GOONIES!

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Except I really didn't like Luke as a hero.

Same (although I also find Vader a little boring as a villain until you get the backstory) . Love love love Star Wars but it didn't even occur to me when I was picking my top hero/villain combos.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Same (although I also find Vader a little boring as a villain until you get the backstory) . Love love love Star Wars but it didn't even occur to me when I was picking my top hero/villain combos.

That's the thing, the SW sagas have more to do with just hero vs. villain. In comparison, the whole Luke/Vader conflict is only part of it, and that's why they didn't really jump out at me. There are so many great (or even greater) characters and their own conflicts going on: Han, Leia, Yoda, the Emperor, etc. Even Boba Fett.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Batman and Joker from the Nolan series
Atreyu and the Nothing from The NeverEnding Story
Bond and Blofeld
Xena and Callisto
Detective Goren and Nicole Wallace on Law & Order: CI
Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler
Holmes and Moriarty
Ben Linus and Charles Widmore (though, really, who's the villain there?)
Benjamin Sisko and Gul Dukat on Star Trek: Deep Spance Nine
Inuyasha and Naraku

Last edited: