Stalingrad Question

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

If a German soldier managed to get away without being captured after the surrender at Stalingrad, what's the shortest distance he could have had to travel to reach a German unit?

Also, does anyone know if any of the German soldiers did pull this off and wrote about it?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of memoirs written by Germans. You could search Amazon and maybe find what you need. I didn't make an exhaustive search, but here's one to get you started: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975107615/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

I mostly remember the story of some Germans hanging onto the wings of the last planes leaving Stalingrad. It always struck me as the height of desperation.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the Eastern front during those months. Looks to me like your soldier has an awful long way to travel on foot.

This mentions the Soviets taking Rostov-on-Don in late February 1943. As Stalingrad surrendered on 1-2 February, your soldier has a couple of weeks to break through the Russian lines and make his way down the Don to Rostov before it falls, which is 465km, apparently.