PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically Speaking...

mscelina
11-03-2009, 04:43 AM
What is the proper etiquette to respond to an agent who sends you an email in the middle of reading your requested full to tell you how much he/she is enjoying the story? Should a writer respond courteously for the compliment or is it better to just let it slide? I'm thinking that a brief but polite email to thank the agent is the way to go--but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Any thoughts?

scarletpeaches
11-03-2009, 04:45 AM
I agree. Something along the lines of thanking them for the compliment and "I hope you enjoy the rest of the book," or somesuch.

mscelina
11-03-2009, 04:56 AM
That's what I thought too. Sometimes I think I think too much.

Puma
11-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I agree with SP. Don't see how you can go wrong with a short thank you. Puma

Medievalist
11-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Yep; brief informal I'm-so-very-glad-you're-liking-it

mscelina
11-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Glad to know my first knee-jerk response was apparently the right one. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

scarletpeaches
11-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Hypothetically speaking, good manners and a quick thank you are never a bad move. But it's just as well this is all hypothetical because I'm no expert on handling things in a polite, gracious way. ;)

Jerry B. Flory
11-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Dear agent,
The fact that you could put my book down long enough to write an email to tell me how much you're enjoying it is not at all encouraging. Please hurry up and sell it before all these left-handed compliments damage my psyche.
Thanks for reading.

mscelina
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Dear agent,
The fact that you could put my book down long enough to write an email to tell me how much you're enjoying it is not at all encouraging. Please hurry up and sell it before all these left-handed compliments damage my psyche.
Thanks for reading.

Hey!?!? How'd you get ahold of my hypothetical email? Dangnabbit, I'm changing my passwords.

*grumble grumble*

AnonymousWriter
11-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Just the same as the others-- brief and polite.

Congratulations, by the way. Hopefully he/she will enjoy the rest too. :D

mscelina
11-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Hypothetically, there is nothing to congratulate. :)

Phaeal
11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey, I send thank you notes for form rejections. Go for it! And CGs.

:D

MGraybosch
11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
What is the proper etiquette to respond to an agent who sends you an email in the middle of reading your requested full to tell you how much he/she is enjoying the story?

I haven't been in this situation myself (so feel free to ignore me), but I'd be tempted to dash off a quick reply to say "thank you".

mscelina
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Hypothetically, I would have. If the event had occurred, of course. :) I even hypothetically managed to keep any squee out of it...you know...if it had happened.

Now ssssh, everyone. Don't hypothetically jinx me.

:)

Perks
11-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Absolutely, go with your instinct if, hypothetically, you haven't and say thanks. My two offers of representation both came with such an interruption if that, hypothetically, means anything.

Squee into your pillow if needs be, but don't hold it in. You'll get a cramp.

mscelina
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
That might explain my current migraine. Never thought of that.

I might need some hypothetical aspirin.

Jerry B. Flory
11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Your agent gets out of bed and goes to work like anyone else. This is someone you hope to work with in your career as a writer. Treat them like anyone else you've ever worked with. I'm sure they like a thanks and the feeling that they are working with you; you're part of their career. They're human beings; all the platitudes apply.
Good friendships often blossom out of common courtesies.