McMurdo Station, Palmer Station, et al

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Folks,

Looking to get some data on some research stations in the Antarctic. Specifically, I'm wondering if these posts suffer from different staffing levels at different times of the year, and if they go into a retrograde cycle, and what kind of maintenance work would get done during this time. I'm also interested in the more prosaic aspects of life at one of these outposts, like how often they're resupplied, etc., etc. I've already found a good site that covers a lot of the basics for McMurdo, but the smaller stations don't seem to have a real detailed presence on the web. (Or more likely, I just haven't found them yet.)

Appreciate any assistance, as always. Thanks in advance. (I'll trade attack helicopter operations data if suitable!)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who "Wintered Over" with her husband at McMurdo one year. He was Navy personnel, she signed on as a cook. There are many more people, scientists, etc. during the summer, when they can get things done. The base settles down to a much smaller crew in winter, but hey still operate as a weather station, and run other geological experiments. They are provisioned for the entire season, but they still get regular supply runs, weather permitting. Most activities are of the indoor type for obvious reasons, but they do venture outside, mostly just to say they did at such and such a temperature.
My friend got pregnant while she was down there (one of the indoor activities).

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Can you ask them if the supply runs come by ship during the winter, from the Palmer or the Gould? I would imagine that when the winter hits, the winds are too strong for even a cargo jet.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
She flew down there and as far as I know the supplies, in winter, were flown in. I don't think they could rely on a ship getting through the ice.
If IIRC the researcher who had cancer was airlifted our in mid-winter a few years ago.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
My brother-in-law was down there for a few months last winter. He told some interesting stories. I don't know how much would be related to what you're asking, but I can relate some good day-to-day stuff if you're interested. For instance - they can't land the incoming plane if there is a penguin on the runway. They're not allowed to chase the penguin off the runway. He got really bored. He did say drinking is one of the more popular indoor activities.