PDA

View Full Version : Men! Bachelor party help

RunawayScribe
11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm a woman who's never been a stripper, so I need some help: what are some typical bachelor party activities? (Minus the possible stripper.) This is a fairly laid back affair, hosted in the best man's apartment and held on average young adult (24-25 YO) finances.

AdamH
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
This is like asking how to describe a snowflake specifically.

No two are alike.

The best way to know how a Bachelor Party is going to be like is to know what the Best Man is like.

There's probably a lot of drinking (even if the groom decides not to drink...there's probably some around him). There'll be some messed up games (maybe...). They may bar hop, they may go to a strip bar, they may chill at a sports bar and tell jokes...really, the planner is normally his Best Man. If you know the Best Man, you'll get a slight idea as to what the Bachelor Party is about.

Probably didn't help...but that's the best I can offer.

RobinGBrown
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
My bachelor party consisted of me and my friends and an all day viewing of the extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy. We had pizza after the second film.

Man I know how to party!!!

Seriously though bachelor parties are down to the individual(s) doing the organising. Me and my friends are quite jaded (we've been to lots of fetish clubs) so the whole beer+stripper thing seemed really lame.

Strippers can be expensive so on a limited budget that might be out - unless the groom had a lot of friends who were willing to chip in.

In the UK you get a lot of bachelor parties flying out to Amsterdam (if they want to smoke dope) or East Europe (if they want to get drunk on the cheap). That can be done on a moderate budget as flights are cheap.

StephanieFox
11-01-2009, 12:31 PM
My husband, his brother and both dads went out to dinner. Then, they came home. That was the party. (Note: I was 43 and my husband to be was 34 when this happened, so we were not wild kids.)

My husband got invited to a friend's party. They went to a strip bar and everyone bought the groom a lap dance. My husband described it as "depressing and humiliating." There ya go.

DrZoidberg
11-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I've been to quite a few. The only bachelor's party I've ever been to with strippers was the one for my own wedding. I'm innocent. I did not arrange it. I think it's the result of having gay friends bending over backwards to give me the "straight experience", which I guess was sweet of them. But in these parts, it's not in any way standard. I mean... I was getting married to a woman I was attracted to. A bachelors party is probably the one type of party in a man's life where strippers are truly redundant.

All of the bachelor's parties have had some sort of gun shooting. Range shotgun shooting, machine guns bazooka and so on. Very childish but fun fun fun. Another reoccurring theme is exotic vehicles. So far there's been a tank, an amphibian assault vehicle, couple of helicopters, a Cessna... I think that's the complete list. A few of them have featured some sort of extreme sports. Climbing, adventure course and so on. At some point there's a dinner. They've all ended in everybody getting impossibly drunk, and most likely playing competitive video games at the after after after party until far into the next day.

I was too overcome by emotion about my marriage to be able to talk about it. I put all focus on the drinking rather than talking, and my friends respected that. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be standard for all men getting married.

If you want to keep it realistic, I think you should keep in mind that a bachelors party is seen as the last chance for a man to be a boy. That's what they represent. So we go out of our way to be as childish as we can, just for a day, indulging our most adolescent urges, which like it or not, tends to focus more on high performance machinery and competitions rather than strippers. That's our base nature.

Smiling Ted
11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
All of the bachelor's parties have had some sort of gun shooting. Range shotgun shooting, machine guns bazooka and so on. Very childish but fun fun fun. Another reoccurring theme is exotic vehicles. So far there's been a tank, an amphibian assault vehicle, couple of helicopters, a Cessna...

Wow - they do things differently in Stockholm.

Yeah, it's pretty much down to who the groom is, and what the Best Man has planned.

All of the bachelor party rituals you hear about (or see in movies) are kind of based on the idea that the groom will never have fun again. In a world that's more sexually relaxed, where people get married later in life, some of that desperate "fun" is defused, and the party gets a little more mellow.

We did have a stripper at my brother's party; we did go to a strip club; but there was no excessive behavior and everybody was done by 3:00 AM.

waylander
11-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I've run one bachelor party (or stag night as we call them). We met in a pub, went for a few games of laserquest and then went for a curry. This worked pretty well because I had a group of guys who did not know each other well - the groom had moved around a lot and these were his friends from many different phases of his life. Might be different if you have a bunch of guys who all know each other well.

semilargeintestine
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I can't really help because we don't do bachelor parties. There is a big party for both of them at the same time with lots of food and some alcohol, but no bar hopping or strippers or anything.

I do have non-Jewish friends who have had bachelor parties (that I didn't attend), and none of them involved a stripper. They apparently just went to a couple of bars and got trashed.

alleycat
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
The first thing to do at any bachelor party is confiscate all cameras and recording devices. Trust me on this one.

Pyrohawk
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
The best way to know how a Bachelor Party is going to be like is to know what the Best Man is like.

This is GREAT advice. If you know what the best man is like and you know what the groom is like than you can generally figure out what the bachelors party will be like. Keep in mind the best man often has more elaborate ideas for the party than the groom does...and since he plans it...it tends to go more in his direction.

Howevor....drinking is almost a gaurantee. And usually very heavy drinking at that.

But otherwise it could be anything from a night in with a few friends, movie and pizza..... it could be out to the bars and strip clubs....it could be a wild party.... camping....if they are wealthy probably they will go someplace for the party out of state.....

The Hangover anyone? Hahaha...but thats an extreme example...

KTC
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I went to one where they rented a roulette table and had poker and other gambling tables. There were gambling stations throughout the hall and you sort of moved around the round throughout the night from one table to another.

cscarlet
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Agreed, I think every one is different. My husband's was in Vegas... so of course they went to the strip club, gambled (especially poker), and they rented Ferrari's. My friend, on the other hand, had a game of golf in the afternoon, and then "cigars and cards" (poker and expensive cigars) later on that night. Heavy drinking is typically required, regardless of the location ;) And I concur with the above statement that all cameras must be confiscated!!!