spacing fonts for book

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I typed my novel to send to agents, I used "expanded" font, but I now wonder if I use self-publishing, it should be "normal" and will it still be easy to read? It's garamond 11.

Sure would cut down on the page numbers.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
When I typed my novel to send to agents, I used "expanded" font, but I now wonder if I use self-publishing, it should be "normal" and will it still be easy to read? It's garamond 11.

Sure would cut down on the page numbers.
The only sure way to find out how easy it is to read is to order a proof copy and look at it.

Personally, I find Garamond 11 to be tiny. (I just tried it on a sample paragraph in Word.) Century 12 might work for readability -- but remember that line spacing counts, too, not just font size -- and there are a lot of gradations between single and double spacing, even in Word.

How many words in the manuscript?

--Ken

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
As a rule, the farther apart your letters are, the harder the text is to read. I typeset my novel in Garamond 10, which is very easy on the eyes when laid out in InDesign. ResearchGuy is right, though, that Garamond looks tiny in Word even at 11. Not really sure why there's such a discrepancy there.

Here's a look at what Garamond 10 looks like when typeset (PDF file).

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
Ken, there were 110,000 before I kept editing, but it's not far from there. I've seen the place to set the line spacing just not played with it. I know there's something about 6 and 12 but not *what* it is! Guess I need to study it. And I meant the spacing between the letters being expanded not the line spacing.

zpeteman, I'm sure you've heard this before, but your book is certainly intriguing! And the readability is great, but I only have Word to work with so would Garamond 10 look the same as your typeset? Ironically, my characters have a newspaper in 1922 so I did a lot of research because I was a total blank on presses of the time. But I just scratched the surface I know. And also it looks like you have double line spacing. Or is that just my eyes? The Garamond 11 is in the template from Lulu for a 6X9 that's why I have it. I guess I could print it out to check. But again, it's the spacing of the letters that I meant, and on Word and printed out for a mss. the expanded to me was easier to read.

Captain Jack

Starving Artist and Author
Registered
Reaction score
I used Garamond 12.5 and I think it is still a bit small! Must be my old man eyes! I also used "exactly" 17 point line spacing. That was for Grinzelville, for That's Ancient History I went to 13 font ..... here is a picture of the Grinzleville layout:

006.jpg

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
Captain Jack, trouble is it looks great in your photo but how does that compare to what it really looks like? And isn't 17 a little wide? Or I guess not with 12.5 font.

At least, thanks to all of you I'll better know how to experiment to find what I think works for me. And I truly appreciate it.

Well, maybe I may be wrong again, but wouldn't printing it out on a laser printer set with a 6 X 9 size give me some idea? I know it's not gonna match the createspace printer but...

still alive

Registered
Reaction score
Here are two more questions [when I was a child I was always chided for asking too many questions--I didn't pay any attention. :)]

When I had Windows 98, I used Helvetica because I like it; but on Windows XP2 I can't find it. Is it hidden somewhere?

And I found a fancy font I wanted to use sparingly, called Pirouette, and it's downloadable but I didn't know how or something. No instructions. It may have been royalty free which I now know means pay only one time; but the font is listed on several sites. Have any of you every heard of it? Or do you know of a signature [?] font that's somewhat ornate on XP?

Thanks.

Captain Jack

Starving Artist and Author
Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

--Ken

Thanks Ken .... the formatting seemed to take longer than the actual writing! I am happy with the final layout.

Still Alive - That book is a trade paperback 5.5 X 8.5 trim and the actual book looks just like it does in the picture. I didn't do anything but click the button on the camera.

... and in your other thread, when asked about stealing ideas! If you meant you wanted to "use" the same settings that I used then by all means do it! That is hardly "stealing" IMO! .... I'll share all the setting for anyone who wants to experiment. It's margins and gutters, and fonts and spacing! It's free information, if it's useful then cool! (Which is why we frequent AW daily) ..

Good luck with your project - and be nice!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .
... and in your other thread, when asked about stealing ideas! If you meant you wanted to "use" the same settings that I used then by all means do it! . . .
I gather that she was being facetious, but someone managed not to get the joke and went all postal on her.

--Ken