Threatened with a court order and panicking

Reaction score
Aye. You heard me.

I've just opened a letter received yesterday or the day before from the Hydro Electric telling me they've been trying to gain access to my prepayment meter (I have a key meter) but they've had no response to previous correspondence.

Thing is, I haven't received any.

Now. This letter is dated a fortnight ago, and they told me to contact them immediately by phone, and/or to fill in the form and return it in the prepaid envelope provided. But the damn thing took two weeks to reach my house.

There was no prepaid envelope provided. Just the letter threatening me with a debt collection agency and a court order because, apparently, I owe them over £700.

I phoned my dad and he said, "There's no point worrying about it."

Well thanks a fucking bunch. It's the weekend, I can't do Jack shit about it, but I'm being threatened with debt collectors and being taken to court over £700 I don't owe? Yeah. "Not worrying" is easier said than done.

I've always been able to put lights on, watch telly, boil the kettle, so clearly I've always had electricity. If I've always had electricity, obviously I've been paying for it. So the only thing I can think of is, they sent someone round to read the meter, I wasn't in, and this is the consequence. A mix-up over which letter I was to be sent. Instead of the "please arrange a time for the lecky man to come round" note, I got, "we're taking you to court, chavscum".

Please, someone tell me this will be all right. Because I know I don't owe them a penny, but proving it is a different matter. I don't have any receipts to prove I've pre-paid for my electricity. My name and address on the letter were correct.

ACK. I feel a migraine coming on with the stress of this. £700+ and they want it, oh, now please.

WHAT???

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
one...two...three and....breathe.

Why is it letters like that always sodding arrive at the weekend?

Your bank statements should show the payments, how much and when they were made, shouldn't they?

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know your system over there, but it's been my experience that things usually work out (or are at least livable).

If they know you can pay, they're not going to do anything that stops you from being able to pay (like jail). Electric companies like money and don't like seeing a bill-paying-costumer fall away.

We got served court orders and sued and judged against over medical bill debt. It's scary, but we didn't have the $$$ to drop on it immediately and the payments were too high for us to pay and still keep living. The judgement of the court was actually more reasonable than what the collections company had offered.

I'd just get as much paperwork as you can find together and do your best. I have to side with your dad on the worrying, even though I know it is hard to do. I was shitting pink twinkies when I got served the papers for our medical stuff.

((hugs)) Hope it's resolved soon.

Reaction score
one...two...three and....breathe.

Why is it letters like that always sodding arrive at the weekend?

Your bank statements should show the payments, how much and when they were made, shouldn't they?
No. It's nothing to do with the bank. It's not direct debit. You hand over the key, pay for however much electricity you want, and when you get home, stick the little electronic key thingy in your meter.

You get receipts with each payment, but I never keep them.

My dad said, "You should keep them all!" Bit late for that now though.

But this...out of the blue? £700+??? I'm trying not to panic, but I have visions of men with baseball bats banging on my door.

In fact, my door went yesterday and as is my custom, I ignored it. I think it was a guy in a suit; someone left the block after knocking on my door. Sometimes we get salesmen knocking on every door and I get used to ignoring them. So whether that was a random doorknocker or someone connected to this, I don't know.

But as for 'all previous correspondence'? I've had none. Absolutely none. No letters, no phone calls (admittedly I only have a mobile), nothing.

And God knows where they get this figure from.
I don't know your system over there, but it's been my experience that things usually work out (or are at least livable).

If they know you can pay, they're not going to do anything that stops you from being able to pay (like jail). Electric companies like money and don't like seeing a bill-paying-costumer fall away.

We got served court orders and sued and judged against over medical bill debt. It's scary, but we didn't have the $$$ to drop on it immediately and the payments were too high for us to pay and still keep living. The judgement of the court was actually more reasonable than what the collections company had offered.

I'd just get as much paperwork as you can find together and do your best. I have to side with your dad on the worrying, even though I know it is hard to do. I was shitting pink twinkies when I got served the papers for our medical stuff.

((hugs)) Hope it's resolved soon.
That's the thing - if I owed it, I'd pay it. But I've not heard anything about any debt up to now and would never let it get that high if I owed money.

Still, proving I've not received anything from them before now is another matter. It's my word against theirs. When it comes to paperwork, I have none, 'cause this came out of the blue.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
And....relax....

It's a cock up. One that you should be able to sort over the phone first thing Monday. If you have a key meter there is no way you can owe them anything, because you pay up front, right? They should be able to corroborate that in about a minute and a half.

Save all this energy for giving them a good blasting over the phone at 9.01am Monday.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Consumer Direct should be able to help you out, Ofgem used to offer advice but it's all done through Consumer Direct now. It's worth remembering that energy companies have tried to pin old debt (IE previous owners/tenants) on the new occupant before now.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Consumer.aspx

Try not to panic, if Consumer Direct can't/wont help, get in touch with CAB.

Sounds like Hydro Electric are being total eejits, hope you can get this sorted

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it's pointless to get over-worried over the weekend because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it right now. Isn't that always the case...things go wonky on us on the weekend and we have to wait until Monday to set them straight. Just call, or go down to them, on Monday and set it straight. Do you have all the receipts for the hydro you paid for? If you do, that's your proof...and mistakes happen and I'm sure they'll clear it up. I'm not sure they'll apologize...as, sadly, this seems like something that companies like that are against doing. If you do not have your receipts...it's probably still okay. Just go down there and fight your case...tell them you've been paying on time and regularly. That's all you can do. If you don't really owe them the money...I'm sure they have all the records...and that something got crossed and they will be able to figure out where they went wrong. If your dad meant don't worry now...then he is right. You can work yourself up into a crazy dither over the weekend---then go down there and state your case and be met with an "Oh...you're right". Sorry this is happening. It sucks. It happened to me with the phone company recently. I pay my bills the day they arrive. They called saying they were going to send me to collections. I freaked on the person saying to hell you are. They made some inquiries and ta-da...they were wrong. When I didn't get an apology with that whoops I changed providers.

Good luck. I'm sure it will work out in the end. Have faith. You do what you're supposed to do...they'll figure it out.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
You'll be fine.

Just ignore it till Monday, call them first thing and explain the situation. Experience with companies like this tell me you won't be the first person to deal with a situation like this.

I'm going to be paying off my former power company for a year because they didn't read my meter for nearly a year and it took them 8 months to admit 'Oh, yeah, sorry, we ere reading next doors meter' even after I had sent them a photo of my meter to prove they had the wrong reading.

If they still threaten you with court after talking to them, threaten them with going to the media. Reporters love an 'evil power company' story.

It works, trust me. :Hug2:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Consumer Direct should be able to help you out, Ofgem used to offer advice but it's all done through Consumer Direct now. It's worth remembering that energy companies have tried to pin old debt (IE previous owners/tenants) on the new occupant before now.

What Rarri said.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oops. I was typing when you posted about not keeping your receipts. They have records...they'll figure out their error. Have faith.

And keep your records from now on. These people are famous for repeating their mistakes.

Reaction score
And....relax....

It's a cock up. One that you should be able to sort over the phone first thing Monday. If you have a key meter there is no way you can owe them anything, because you pay up front, right? They should be able to corroborate that in about a minute and a half.

Save all this energy for giving them a good blasting over the phone at 9.01am Monday.
Thanks. Fuck. I know you're right, but...there's always a but.

Debt terrifies me.

Everyone on AW knows about my mother, right? Well being shit with money is one of her many faults and I can't tell you how cold it makes my blood run to think of being in debt. I don't even have a credit card. I'm obsessive about paying bills. (Which reminds me, council tax comes due on the 1st).

Logic tells me that a pre-pay meter equals no debt, but...God knows. Maybe they've programmed the key incorrectly...or something...

But like I said, I've always had electricity so I've clearly always paid for it in advance.

I've been in this flat for 12 years, so it can't be an 'old debt'.

And they had my name and exact address right on the letter. I don't know if my account number was correct because I don't know what it is.

My dad says to contact my MP about it.

I'll try not to panic, but like I said...debt is what scares me most.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm the same way, Peachy. I'm obsessive about paying my bills the second they come into the house.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Eek, 12 years is a long time but seriously, stranger things have happened. Hopefully it will be a system mishap. MPs are good advocates, but it's usually advised to go via the ombudsman first.

BTW, can see why the letter has freaked you out. These things always happen at the weekend too. :(

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Well for starters, you shouldn't have incured a debt when you have a prepayment meter. Is the letter addressed to you or "The Occupier"? If it's the latter, the debt might be the previous homeowner.

If it is addressed to you, ring them on Monday and speak to them. See if you can arrange a meter reading. If they refuse (and they shouldn't) ask for a statement; they are legally to provide you with evidence of your debt.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Everyone on AW knows about my mother, right? Well being shit with money is one of her many faults and I can't tell you how cold it makes my blood run to think of being in debt. I don't even have a credit card. I'm obsessive about paying bills. (Which reminds me, council tax comes due on the 1st).

Then you owe nothing. ( btw you sound like me and food - my first husband always used to spend the shopping money on records, so I make a habit of making sure the cupboards and freezer are groaning with food, just in case...)

Logic tells me that a pre-pay meter equals no debt, but...God knows. Maybe they've programmed the key incorrectly...or something...

In which case it's their fault and they can't charge you for it.

Don't get anxious, get angry! :D

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is really pushing my buttons. There is nothing, nothing guaranteed to freak me out like the threat of a debt-based court order. And for such a monumental 'out of nowhere' sum, too.

There's nothing I can do...and I hate that. I won't be able to sleep. Or eat. I feel sick. I know I owe them nothing, but...

GAH!

I had this with the council once. For £17 they were threatening to take me to court and I went in to see them and they were like "Oh sorry, computer error," and I said, "Computer error? Computer fucking error? How does a computer make an error? No - the person operating it makes the error. For seventeen pounds? You threaten to take me to court for seventeen pounds?"

They sent me a letter of apology. Which I still have.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I know that Scottish Law is different from English law - but so far they have threatened you with certain things - court order and debt collectors. If the DCs do come and they do not have a court order tell them, politely to leave. If you are taken to court you will have the right to be there and to say your bit - but ask the court for the help of a solicitor to assist you. That is, imo, the worst case scenario. If they have made a mistake it is down to them - not you, as you pay by key. I do as well, and it they have failed to adjust the tariff you pay then it is their fault and not yours. I would offer to pay them back at a £1 a month! When you do phone them put your case and if the turnip you talk to does not want to hear what you are saying ask to speak to a supervisor.

One other thing - check that the account number and phone number are correct - it could be a scam.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
No. It's nothing to do with the bank. It's not direct debit. You hand over the key, pay for however much electricity you want, and when you get home, stick the little electronic key thingy in your meter.

Okay, I understand now. We have those here, too. If they work anything like the prepaid ones here then how on earth could you not pay and still have electricity? That's the point of the prepay system...no surprise bills.

That's nuts. There's obviously something wrong with the meter or their record-keeping or both. There's got to be someone you can talk to at the company that can help with this, right?

ETA: I agree with overtired... call the local news station or paper and raise a stink.

ETA: Do you have a corporation commission that oversees the utility company's behavior?? I'd call them, too.

Last edited:

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
SP, all you can do is organise a plan of attack and then try and forget the whole thing until Monday.

It's NaNo soon - loose yourself in writing some dirty fiction ;)

Reaction score
I'm hoping so.

I'm emailing my local newspaper as we speak as a pre-emptive strike.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Scarlet, your description of the key meter --the system of payment you have been engaged in all this time-- sounds to me like it's impossible for you to "owe" them a damned thing. You obviously have some sort of a pre-pay thing going, NOT a post-pay of the sort that could allow you to fall behind in payments. So it's up to them to prove that you had some other debt-incurring arrangement other than the pre-pay sort. So this is most likely a clerical screwup.

And another thing, the way that letter is phrsed (at least as I read betrween the lines of how you paraphrased it here) they are only THREATENING to get a collection agency invovled, and haven't actually done so yet. So your credit record most liekly isn't marred at all. So breathe easy for the weekend and deal with it on Monday morning.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Actually, if this isn't sorted the company will send several letters. It's only if the situation isn't resolved that they would take it to court.

It HAS to go to court and PROVEN before debt collectors call. And before anything goes onto the credit records.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone. This is really pushing my buttons. There is nothing, nothing guaranteed to freak me out like the threat of a debt-based court order. And for such a monumental 'out of nowhere' sum, too.

There's nothing I can do...and I hate that. I won't be able to sleep. Or eat. I feel sick. I know I owe them nothing, but...

GAH!

I had this with the council once. For £17 they were threatening to take me to court and I went in to see them and they were like "Oh sorry, computer error," and I said, "Computer error? Computer fucking error? How does a computer make an error? No - the person operating it makes the error. For seventeen pounds? You threaten to take me to court for seventeen pounds?"

They sent me a letter of apology. Which I still have.

I don't know about the UK, but in America, a "letter of apology" is a huge huge honkin' major legal thing. A letter of apology here carries legal weight and so no corporation/bank/institution ever wants to issue an actual formal letter of apology unless they MUST do so. When such a letter gets issued, they have to LOG the fact that they sent it out, and then at the end of the business quarter they have to send a report to whoever their regulating body is with a list of every last apology letter sent out that quarter. They all like to keep that list as short as possible each time because any entity that exceeds a certain number of apology letters in a given period will trip all the wrong alarms and could get audited and possibly shut down for mismanagement.

Reaction score
The exact wording is:
NOTICE OF ELECTRICITY WARRANT
Outstanding Debt £726.19

We have not received a response to previous correspondence regarding your prepayment meter. Unless you contact us by telephone or complete the information overleaf and return it to us in the prepaid envelope provided we will commence proceedings to:

Gain access to the meter by obtaining a right of entry warrant.

Refer your debt to a licensed debt collection agency

Obtain a court judgement against you.
It then gives opening hours of the office.

It ends:
Please ignore this letter if you have already contacted us within the last few days and accept our apologies for troubling you. Otherwise, take action now.

Yours sincerely

Prepayment Account Manager
There was no signature on the letter, no name given. Just a printed 'Prepayment Account Manager'. No envelope was provided, and this is the first correspondence received - dated just over a fortnight ago, so it's taken two weeks to get here.