retelling of stories

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at submission guidelines for a children's magazine, and I noticed under their guidelines among submissions they accept original retellings of folk and fairy tales. So basically this would just be the story in your own words without changing anything, correct? It seems like that would be an easy submission as anyone could do that (except the word limit is 800 words which could be a bit of a challenge). What do you think would make one stand out from another besides writing style since the story is already there?

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I would dig deep for uncommon stories. Authenticity can be difficult if you don't have a personal connection, so you have to research and do it well.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ruby said:
I was looking at submission guidelines for a children's magazine, and I noticed under their guidelines among submissions they accept original retellings of folk and fairy tales. So basically this would just be the story in your own words without changing anything, correct? It seems like that would be an easy submission as anyone could do that (except the word limit is 800 words which could be a bit of a challenge). What do you think would make one stand out from another besides writing style since the story is already there?

This can mean a couple of things. It can mean telling, word for word, folk tales you've heard that have never been in print anywhere. If they have been in print, someone probably owns the copyright.

Much more commonly, it means just what it says, writing a new story that's based on an old folk tale or fairy tale.

If it's an old tale that's in teh public domain, they don't need you to copy it for them, they need you to write a new version that's based on the old version. An updated, modern version. If they wanted the old version, they can simply copy it and publish it themselves.

Believe me, thsi is not always an easy thing to do. If you can do it, however, it does stand a good chance of sellng.

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
This can mean a couple of things. It can mean telling, word for word, folk tales you've heard that have never been in print anywhere. If they have been in print, someone probably owns the copyright.

Much more commonly, it means just what it says, writing a new story that's based on an old folk tale or fairy tale.

If it's an old tale that's in teh public domain, they don't need you to copy it for them, they need you to write a new version that's based on the old version. An updated, modern version. If they wanted the old version, they can simply copy it and publish it themselves.

Believe me, thsi is not always an easy thing to do. If you can do it, however, it does stand a good chance of sellng.

okay, thanks. now just to clarify, the new version based on the old..since it would only be 800 words max, would you change any of the main events, or perhaps just tell the main events in another way. I know there are fairytales out there that have been re-written, like from the mouse's viewpoint in cinderella, and maybe the 3 little pigs but they live in alaska and build different types of igloos or something...as an example. would that be considered a retelling?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
If you go to the library, in the kids section, there's usually a section of folktales. Peruse these for a while, and get a feel for the different variations of the fairy tales you've always thought of as "standard." Our library has the following variations on Cinderella: Korean, Mexican, an "Arabian Nights" version, one in which Cinderella is a rabbit, and The Irish Cinderlad, which is a combination of Cinderella and Celtic mythology. All of these follow the same traditional theme, but are completely different variations on Cinderella.

The trick is to create one that's unique enough to make an editor say, "Hey! What a cool take on an old story!"

bkrrh85

Registered
Reaction score
Another retelling question

Okay, I've read the above threads. Now here's another question. My current MG book is based on a real-life treasure story.

Within the context of the book, the antagonist is telling the protagonist part of a story (which was actually written back in the 1100s)--BUT I am NOT true to the original story (most is accurate) because my antagonist is a liar and has twisted the story to suit his own particular POV.

Also, the story that is being partially retold is fiction.

It never occurred to me that I might not be able to do this - any comments?

Last edited:

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
Since most books in the children's section are re-tellings of folk tales, how do you know if these are under copyright?
I'm assuming if the author re-told an old tale that it's public domain. You just have to make it your own by changing it, right?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
One of my children's favourite bedtime stories is "Goldilocks and the Three Bears: A Tale Moderne" Retold and Illustrated by Steven Guarnaccia. The three bears are total hepcats (Papa Bear plays the clarinet, Mama Bear is just SO chic) who live in a split level house furnished entirely with famous examples of modern furniture (Papa Bear's chair is a Charles Rennie Mackintosh Ladderback Chair). Goldilocks is portrayed as a very naughty girl for invading someone's home, utilizing and breaking their furniture, and gorging herself on their food (chili, not porridge). I've read this to the kids hundreds of times, and still enjoy the retelling of an old story, and the delightful illustrations.
IMO, This is an outstanding example of a modern retelling. The kids request it over and over again.

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you choose a lesser-known tale from another country, should you provide a copy of original tale with submission? Or is that insulting?

Scothoser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robbclan.com
Okay, I've read the above threads. Now here's another question. My current MG book is based on a real-life treasure story.

Within the context of the book, the antagonist is telling the protagonist part of a story (which was actually written back in the 1100s)--BUT I am NOT true to the original story (most is accurate) because my antagonist is a liar and has twisted the story to suit his own particular POV.

I'm not exactly sure with children's stories, but any historical account is generally fair game as long as you have references to the original source. If the story was an oral account handed down, and you are the first to write it, then you should be fine. I would definitely check with your agent, who will have a better idea of what can and cannot be used in your genre.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score

i think you should be perfectly fine, and that counts as a retelling too. there are lots of stories like that. ella enchanted, fairest, wicked... i'm actually doing a retelling that's very different as well

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of a modern retelling, you could also use a different style. I've read mythology books, for example, that retold the myth exactly as it is, but in a very lighthearted, funny tone, with lots of asides to the reader.

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm somewhat discouraged in this so far because many of the tales I've read include topics that are taboo in some children's mags: death, murder, violence, etc.

Is it normal to change parts of the plot in addition to style and location?

It seems that most of the tales I'm reading are old tales, but I'm reading a re-told version. Or it's an old oral tale that was just recently written down. So, the copyright issue is confusing to me. It is the author's responsibility, not the pub's to make sure no copyright has been infringed upon, right?