Am I A Rude & Capricious Editor? A Rant

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I edit stuff at my company that is written by our staff and by freelancers. I edit for factual accuracy, scientific accuracy, and compliance with a ton of regulatory laws we have to follow.

A freelancer wrote a story. He used a word that I considered inappropriate/offensive, and I circled it and wrote with my Red Pen Of Doom "kinda racist - can we cut?"

He wrote back a passively nasty email ranting about all of his qualifications and asking why I had said he used a racist term. I wrote back explaining that the AP Stylebook (we don't write for the AP, but its good journalistic guidelines!) says the word in that context can be disparaging or offensive, and that we have a wide range of readers with different backgrounds and we always err on the side of not offending anyone.

He wrote back again to say that he disagreed with me, but he would change it, and he said, "I just think you could have been a bit more courteous in your comment. Telling a writer he's using a "racist" term is a bit capricious."

It's totally doing my head in. I don't get this at all. Because 1, if an editor marks changes to your work, it's not to insult you or imply you suck at writing, it's to improve the piece. And 2, you're getting paid to write articles for our company. So you need to make us happy, not do a prima donna writer routine over a simple article. I'm extra mad because he said he wanted to "discuss" the editorial changes over the phone, but I'm awkward and stupid over the phone and I was afraid he was going to go aggressive and bowl me over in conversation, which in fact is what he intended to do.

Was my comment at all out of line? How courteous must an editor be? How much more courteous could I have been about this?

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
It's possibly because it's a hot button topic- nobody likes to think that they are racist. I was called racist in a thread recently (for hating racists?!) and even though I know that makes no sense, I was deeply offended by the accusation. Maybe he's just a bit touchy about the same.

That said, that's your job and he needs to man up and take the criticism as constructive.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd said "OMG Racist! WTF were you thinking?? Change this!!" yes.

As it was, no.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
"kinda racist - can we cut?"

If that is what you wrote, then yeah, I can understand the reaction.

Hindsight being 20/20 (and worth less than half of that) "Might be considered...", or "the styleguide says...." (Which just leads to "oh yeah? What styleguide??")

Personally? Let it slide off and move on. Once an idea is planted, it's awfully hard to shake.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just put off by all his objections. AFAIK most writers don't take it personally when they get editorial revisions. I mean, I only write fiction, but even if I get feedback saying, this is bad and makes no sense, it doesn't hurt my feelings (my self-esteem, maybe).

Important life lesson: given that we have had to deal with 5 passive-aggressive snarky emails per article from this dude, chances are very low that we'll hire him for another article. That comes from the woman who hires the writers, not from this discourteous and capricious science editor :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Wow. Too bad you can't take a writer out to coffee before you hire them... a coffee order is a sure way to find out how high maintenance someone is.

I think you should write back and tell him he could be more professional in his response to editorial comments. Then call him a Jackhole. !!!1!

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It worries me that your freelancer makes no distinction between your pointing out a racist term and your calling him a racist. That sort of thing is, for me, at least, a warning sign that someone's either not paying attention, or too closely invested in the perfection of their prose.

Deleted member 42

He's a half-wit.

You were far more gentle, and tactful than I would be.

Seriously, if you need a dictionary citation to back you up, ever, in addition to AP, the American Heritage Usage Notes in the unabridged dictionary rock.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
And 2, you're getting paid to write articles for our company. So you need to make us happy, not do a prima donna writer routine over a simple article.

This is the key right here. Anyone who wants to exchange words for money has two choices:

1) Make the person with the money happy.
2) Take your writing elsewhere.

I write travel stuff for a company. My boss trusts my judgement, so a dialogue between us often goes something like this:

- I write something.
- He makes suggestions.
- I implement the suggestions he agrees with. I offer counter-arguments to the suggestions I don't agree with.
- Boss usually agrees with my evaluation. But IF HE DOESN'T, my response is, "Yes boss." And I change it. THE END.

Also? I understand 100% that it's not personal. It's a frickin' business.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
If that is what you wrote, then yeah, I can understand the reaction.

Hindsight being 20/20 (and worth less than half of that) "Might be considered...", or "the styleguide says...." (Which just leads to "oh yeah? What styleguide??")

Personally? Let it slide off and move on. Once an idea is planted, it's awfully hard to shake.

All of this strikes me as right on the money. It's important to realize that just because it was an offhand remark to you doesn't mean that it was something easy to hear. Hearing an insinuation of racism is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. Even if it wasn't meant quite that way.

In this way, your writer was an excellent editor for you. You should probably thank him. In your mind, maybe you will at some point. His objection hopefully taught you to be much more careful with language.

P.S.: You are going about it all wrong and wasting a learning opportunity if you keep thinking about this incident in terms of people objecting to editorial revisions. It's not that at all.

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
Call me crazy, but I'm just dying to know the word and the context. I mean, I'd hate to make the same mistake on accident.

"Then Geoff picked up the cracker." ZOMG!!! He just picked up a white guy! Kidding, of course, but who knows. Spill the beans! (Was that racist?)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's a strangely self-conscious reaction he had, imho. I wouldn't bother with him. There isn't enough time in the workday to hold anybody's hand. Sorry, dude.

Frankly, on receipt of the 2nd email I would have told him that we weren't looking for opinions on the matter. Lots of matters, yes; that one, no. But I'm allowed to be a b!tch in the field we're in ;)

Don't worry about it for a second. He does sound like a prima donna.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
I think the issue is that you're taking it too personally.

You did your job. He overreacted. You dealt with him in a professional way. And yet you're the one who can't forget it... why?

My guess is, that like a lot of women (and some men too) you're angsting over the interpersonal friction more than the substance of the interaction. I do this myself, and it's a great way to add stress to your life.

Honestly, one of the best ways to deal with these situations is:
A) act exactly how you did (professional, courteous)
B) once you're off the phone, say "Guy's a jerk - how about that?"
C) forget about him.

PS Meanwhile, I heart XMen :)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
My only possbile excuse for him: he was worried word would get around the office/the town/the industry/the internet that he was "accused of being racist," so he wanted to prevent such a career-destroying rumor from even germinating anywhere. Other than that meager possibility, he's an ass.

Talamascan

Registered
Reaction score
The comment you made was a red flag for him. You did say his word usage was racist. If he is more than a half-wit he's going to know that could mean serious issues for his career.

I understand his reaction. Perhaps next time you could put something of this nature in question form. "Are you aware that this word is easily misconstrued and...blah blah...please revise so as to insure our readers are not offended."

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's comments are interesting. Here's the thing that gets me. If he wrote sloppily and misspelled a word, and I changed it, that doesn't mean I think he's a bad speller. If he wrote sloppily and got a fact wrong and I fixed it, that doesn't mean I think he's a bad researcher. If he wrote sloppily and put in a sentence that violated the federal regulatory laws we have to follow, and I cross it out, that doesn't mean I think he's ignorant of those laws.

But if he wrote sloppily and put in a word that has an offensively racist connotation in the context it was used, and I asked him to change it, that means I think that he's a racist?

That really doesn't make sense to me. I guess I could have said "potentially offensive - suggest we cut" instead. But yeah, I don't really equate the (first draft of) the writing with the person. For the record, here's what the AP Stylebook has to say:

In stories about American Indians, such words or terms as wampum, warpath, powwow, teepee, brave, squaw, etc., can be disparaging and offensive.

Talamascan

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's comments are interesting. Here's the thing that gets me. If he wrote sloppily and misspelled a word, and I changed it, that doesn't mean I think he's a bad speller. If he wrote sloppily and got a fact wrong and I fixed it, that doesn't mean I think he's a bad researcher. If he wrote sloppily and put in a sentence that violated the federal regulatory laws we have to follow, and I cross it out, that doesn't mean I think he's ignorant of those laws.

But if he wrote sloppily and put in a word that has an offensively racist connotation in the context it was used, and I asked him to change it, that means I think that he's a racist?

That really doesn't make sense to me. I guess I could have said "potentially offensive - suggest we cut" instead. But yeah, I don't really equate the (first draft of) the writing with the person. For the record, here's what the AP Stylebook has to say:
It would depend on his cultural background. "kinda racist...can we cut it" can be taken as sarcasm if he's used to that in his world. It might have translated to--"That's racist, could you cut it out (or rather, knock it off)?"

In written discourse it can be difficult without the aide of inflection and tone to know what someone is saying to us. That is why I suggest a more informative approach. However, even that can be taken wrong if the person has low self esteem and thinks you are treating them like a half wit. Your job is a tough one. I don't envy you it. As I said, I'd take the informative approach and I'd write full sentences to insure my meaning was explicitly represented.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If he were just worried about the connotations, that makes more sense, but still I think he'd write a quick, professional, apology-type email.

Trying to argue back and forth in a work situation where your output is taken or left is unprofessional. A quick, professional exchange is different, but it sounds like he wants his full opinions on the matter debated in depth. For every little thing?! Um, I'm thinking No ;)