PDA

View Full Version : Hazmat Incident

Tasmin21
10-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Ok, in possible NaNo project, I have a situation where a serial killer takes people and deliberately puts them in mortal danger to force a firefighter to come save them.

The first time, he uses fire. The second time, I want it to be some kind of hazardous materials incident, but I'm at a loss as to what kind of incident it would be.

I originally thought a chlorine gas leak/spill, but I'm not sure that's life-threatening enough.

So, here's the criteria:

*I need something that can be engineered by someone with every-day materials access. No super secret or highly controlled substances.
*It needs to be survivable for at least a short period of time (maybe an hour) before it's fatal. He technically WANTS the people to be saved, but he's not going to make it easy for my hero. (and he's a teeny bit incompetent, so he often causes more damage or kills without meaning to)
*It needs to be something that a fire crew, trained as hazmat responders, might tackle themselves. (Keep in mind that I'm working with SOME supernatural elements, so I can fudge this one a little bit)

Any thoughts on what kind of accident/incident this can be? What toxic substances might be good?

Richard White
10-31-2009, 12:30 AM
First thing I thought about was a portable meth lab. (Been watching too many crime shows on TruTV, I guess.)

Lots of hazarous fumes and the cops tend to call in the fire department to hose the perps down before taking them to jail.

Tasmin21
10-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Oh wow, I didn't even think of meth labs. (and given where I'm from, that shoulda been my first thought!)

Kitty Pryde
10-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Carbon monoxide poisoning might work--a bunch of people get sick all at once, paramedics on scene call in hazmat guys because of unknown environmental toxin? You don't die from it right away, but you CAN die, depending on level of exposure and time to reach medical treatment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

waylander
10-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Blue asbestos

Amarie
10-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Carbon monoxide poisoning might work--a bunch of people get sick all at once, paramedics on scene call in hazmat guys because of unknown environmental toxin? You don't die from it right away, but you CAN die, depending on level of exposure and time to reach medical treatment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

Carbon monoxide is actually a good idea. but it depends on the type of response you want. It would be firemen responding, but I'm not sure about the hazmat suits. We had a leak from a faulty furnace a few years ago, but luckily had a sensor, so when it went off late one night, I called 911. They sent a firetruck, an ambulance, and police. The firemen came into the house, sent us outside, tested the area around the furnace, shut it down when it was clear it was leaking, opened all the doors and windows for a short amount of time, and then made us leave the house until the next day. Of course, they already knew because of the sensor it was CO, so I'm not sure what their response would have been otherwise.

NIYRAK
10-31-2009, 02:59 AM
Ok, in possible NaNo project, I have a situation where a serial killer takes people and deliberately puts them in mortal danger to force a firefighter to come save them.

The first time, he uses fire. The second time, I want it to be some kind of hazardous materials incident, but I'm at a loss as to what kind of incident it would be.

I originally thought a chlorine gas leak/spill, but I'm not sure that's life-threatening enough.

So, here's the criteria:

*I need something that can be engineered by someone with every-day materials access. No super secret or highly controlled substances.
*It needs to be survivable for at least a short period of time (maybe an hour) before it's fatal. He technically WANTS the people to be saved, but he's not going to make it easy for my hero. (and he's a teeny bit incompetent, so he often causes more damage or kills without meaning to)
*It needs to be something that a fire crew, trained as hazmat responders, might tackle themselves. (Keep in mind that I'm working with SOME supernatural elements, so I can fudge this one a little bit)

Any thoughts on what kind of accident/incident this can be? What toxic substances might be good?

My brother is at work right now. He gets off at midnight tonight. He will call me in the morning when he gets home. His wife is sure he will have just what you are looking for.

BTW. your fireman needs to be a part of a special response hazmat team. Not ALL firemen are trained in hazmat.
They have to go to a special training for it and get certified.

NIYRAK
10-31-2009, 08:02 PM
My brother called me finally. He says the best chem to calll for hazmat is actually deisel or gasoline. If the MC is not too smart it is a simple thing to do. Hazmat is called out for it b/c of the intensity of the fire and the potential for death by inhalation.

trycetrocycoline (dry cleaninig substance.) is also used. Magnesium, aluminum, Iron, Phospherous when exposed to air causes a very hot, intense fire.

Diesel+ motor oil +road flare= really hot nasty long fire. Also makes a good 'bomb' if your bad guy mixes the deisel and motor oil in a gallon gas can (for a bigger boom use bigger can) tape flare to nozzle and strike it. It will go boom once the flare burns down to the gas, splash, sending flamable liquid onto everything and cause a hot nasty fire to have to control.

Hope some of this helped...